Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

I am not saying you defended him blindly or anything like that, but I don't think he deserves anything in his defence when it comes to injuries because he picked playing for England over being fit for United. You were suggesting people are wrong for guessing and being frustrated that he is injured when he wasn't. People rightfully questioned why he wasn't match fit and some guessed rightfully why he wasn't ready when he returned as many others, which could indicate that he was injured/isn't fit.

The information we (did not) had at the time was not that he was injured. My point was that I understand why he is not in the squad as he reported for training at the same time as:
  • Garnacho
  • Mainoo
  • Bruno
  • Dalot
  • Lisandro
Out of all these mentioned players, Shaw is the most injury-prone player here. The point I was making is that he should not be thrown into a game, only 7 days after he reported for duty, but rather build his fitness up, given how important he is when he plays, so my assumption was that they want to ease him in. Fair play to those who guess correctly that he will get injured while in training for United.

The information we (did not) had at the time was not that he was injured. My point was that I understand why he is not in the squad as he reported for training at the same time as:
  • Garnacho
  • Mainoo
  • Bruno
  • Dalot
  • Lisandro
Out of all these mentioned players, Shaw is the most injury-prone player here. The point I was making is that he should not be thrown into a game, only 7 days after he reported for duty, but rather build his fitness up, given how important he is when he plays, so my assumption was that they want to ease him in. Fair play to those who guess correctly that he will get injured while in training for United.
No degree in rocket science was needed.. but thanks anyway.

In the presser for the Fulham game ETH referred to him as an important player for the team. I don’t understand the comment when the player is not playing for much of the time.

It has to be true that his only future role is as a backup, third choice at best.
Sadly, I don't think Shaw is ever going to be a regular again. I think he bursts himself to try regain match fitness and probably plays when he's not fully ready. I think he's probably the best LB in the league, when fit. Suffered a horrible injury and don't think he will ever fully recover from it. Shame!

• Garnacho
  • Mainoo
  • Bruno
  • Dalot
  • Lisandro

This is my post before the injury update when we had information that he might miss the game:

It's amazing that people are surprised, when he went with England to the euros I would bet that he would miss few games for us. He literally risked start of the season for playing for England. I guess it will be great and much better than expected if he is involved in any of our first few games.

Yeah, as the poster above says, unfortunately we didn't need any super knowledge, it's basically just statistics at this point.

Good player but I think there's something with him that Jose noticed and didn't like. I think he is too soft.

In football you're pretty much hurt all the time but should be able to play. I have a feeling he's hurt a lot and consideres himself injured.

Long term we should replace him. You can't count on him and that has been crucial for us over the last years. We need someone that can play at least 80% of the games.

Completely agree with this post.

I actually hadn't got a clue how many injuries he's had since joining or how many games he's missed so I searched online and Transfermarkt has the rundown and it does not make for good reading.

23 separate injures and 264 games missed! Now obviously I can't guarantee that's all 100% accurate but it definitely gives an idea of how injury prone he is and how ridiculous it was to give him a new contract last year.

He won't be going anywhere till his contract is up so we're stuck with each other.

And I’ll add that it’s a shame because he is genuinely top tier when fit and firing.

we should just continue with Dalot at left back even when Shaw comes back

He's taking the piss. Playing in the Euros for England and then being injured for the start of the season. We need to be rid of him. How long has he got left on his contract?

Was there any update about him in the pre-match conference?

It will be in two-three weeks no doubt that his injury is worse than they thought and that it will take a while.

He's as likely to return fit for the projected date, as he is to pick-up another injury or setback.

Could be a huge mistake to rely on the return of this lad.

Next year hopefully guns blazing for Theo Hernandez.

I'd like to think he'd do the right thing and retire from international football.

I'd have to admire the sheer nerve of the guy if he turns up for England next week!

I'd have to admire the sheer nerve of the guy if he turns up for England next week!

He would not care about the optics. He is a millionaire, who is protected by his contract. He is the first choice left back for England, and he will never retire until this is the case.

The club should absolutely not allow it.

The club can not forbid him to go. It's mandatory for the club to release the player if the FA calls him. I just hope he won't be so daft. If he is, I want him gone.

I doubt he will be called up. There is no obvious replacement but these are pretty low profile games for England that it's not worth any risk for any party involved. If anything it at least gives England the opportunity to have a proper look at other left back options as Chilwell and Trippier haven't featured at all this season as well.

He would not care about the optics. He is a millionaire, who is protected by his contract. He is the first choice left back for England, and he will never retire until this is the case.
Dan Ashworth has connecs in the FA. He could chat them into selling him to Wales (and replace him with Chilwell)

Dan Ashworth has connecs in the FA. He could chat them into selling him to Wales (and replace him with Chilwell)
haha funny comment.

I know he's had bad injuries but I'm beginning to question whether he's just not up for top level football and I mean this with no disrespect. When fit he's one of the best LBs in the world.

Shaw reminds me of this old metaphor; The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg.

haha funny comment.

I know he's had bad injuries but I'm beginning to question whether he's just not up for top level football and I mean this with no disrespect. When fit he's one of the best LBs in the world.

Shaw reminds me of this old metaphor; The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg.
John O’Shea was a potato. Shaw’s legs are fragile as eggs, but the only hard boiled drama he has been involved in was Moreno butchering him for PSV under Van Gaal, and Mourinho slaughtering him for United under Mourinho.

Will he be back sometime in September? I thought original reporting was around the first international break.

Will he be back sometime in September? I thought original reporting was around the first international break.
With Shaw you can always add at least 3 weeks to his estimated return.

I thought original reporting was around the first international break.
Yeah, statement 4 weeks ago:

ManUtd.com said:
Luke Shaw will miss the opening games of the Premier League season due to a calf injury sustained at the start of pre-season training.

He is working hard on his rehabilitation with a view to being available after the first international break.

Ten Hag said:
"He will return in the short term, it doesn't take long. We want to get him back as soon as possible but we can't force this process."

Andy Mitten said at the time that it was a minor strain but it was agreed between the club and Shaw that they'd intentionally be overly cautious, and Shaw would likely be training 'in days' (4 weeks ago) and would do a gradual ramp up - basically an individualised preseason - to make sure he's at full throttle for immediately after the first international break.

The reality? No sign of him having trained at any point.

Good to see him get minutes today.

GW4HF9jWUAAQSkm

How is that possible that he was injured for the whole season, played some minutes in the Euro, and back to injured again when the season starts? I mean, he was injured but he isn't even close to the squad, right?

I thought we expected him back after the international break as the injury "wasn't serious"?

Is he even back training?