Looks like Tuchel turned us down, not the other way around according to BILD

Utd had finished 7th in the league when Tuchel turned the job down.
A few weeks later and Utd are now 13th and transfer season closed.
Why would he suddenly have a change of mind and take the job?
Possibly because by now United's leadership might have realised that the reasons he was reluctant might be valid and be willing to do what's needed to get rid of those points.
Emery is your man.
Why would Emery move from a team that's currently 5th and plays in the CL to the team that's 13th and plays in the EL?

Possibly because by now United's leadership might have realised that the reasons he was reluctant might be valid and be willing to do what's needed to get rid of those points.

Why would Emery move from a team that's currently 5th and plays in the CL to the team that's 13th and plays in the EL?
Because United are still three times the club Aston Villa are. And that can play a major role.

Well, you could say the same about a lot of currently serving managers, just offer them something more attractive, more wages, bigger transfer budget, more control over team matters, history, a project, prestige of the club, the man who could bring back the Busby/ Fergie years, just to name a few reasons

Because United are still three times the club Aston Villa are. And that can play a major role.

Maybe if they weren't in Champions League I would believe we could bring him in but do so academic

This is a strange question tbh.... as if it would be crazy to do or something

I'd be very surprised if he should succeed at United. He has not steadied the ship with us (Bayern), and our situation was relatively calm in comparison to United's prolonged state of disarray.
His stint with us has pretty much destroyed his image of a brilliant tactician and football mastermind for me. We had very little variety in tactical setups, and our attack was mostly stunted, while our defensive record did not make up for it.
Additionally he was undermining of players publicly in press conferences repeatedly, and also complaining about the overall squad.
With a hodgepodge squad of low on confidence players like United's, this is a recipe for disaster of Jose-esque proportions (3rd season, before anyone asks).

United are several times bigger than Aston Villa. There is no manager in the world who would stay at Villa over United, and Villa are still a big club.

Surely if we’re going down the unemployed route, it has to be him

He’s the only one where I’d think “FFS” if he went to a rival. If a rival got Southgate, I’d piss myself laughing

United are several times bigger than Aston Villa. There is no manager in the world who would stay at Villa over United, and Villa are still a big club.
Except maybe one who thinks "had that theater and drama at Arsenal, that's enough for a lifetime"

I'd be very surprised if he should succeed at United. He has not steadied the ship with us (Bayern), and our situation was relatively calm in comparison to United's prolonged state of disarray.
His stint with us has pretty much destroyed his image of a brilliant tactician and football mastermind for me. We had very little variety in tactical setups, and our attack was mostly stunted, while our defensive record did not make up for it.
Additionally he was undermining of players publicly in press conferences repeatedly, and also complaining about the overall squad.
With a hodgepodge squad of low on confidence players like United's, this is a recipe for disaster of Jose-esque proportions (3rd season, before anyone asks).

We feel bad enough at the moment without multiple Bayern fans sticking the boot in on his suitability

Sounds just like when Jose Mourinho managed us. Last thing we need is another Mourinho like appointment.

Bunch of red flags here. This is the sort of thing the upper management team need to be taking into consideration before making appointments of any kind.

Not if there is a significant chance his reputation suffers irreparable damage after. Some clubs are in a mess that can only be sorted by a very particular character, and he might not be it (and know it).

This is part of the problem, fans thinking like this.
In reality we are no longer the all conquering club of the Fergie era, in fact we are not even a shadow of it.
This increases the pressure on any manager coming to this club, Emery can stay at Villa, come 4th and be a hero, or be at United with the shower of shit overpaid, ego laden averaage overpaid players we have and finish 8th
I'm 67 and I've lost hope in seeing us return to the type of team we were during the Ferguson years, we are back into the revolving door on the managers office, it's almost like deja vu, for those of us who grew up with the success of Matt, then suffered the widerness years before Fergie, the similarites are startling.

Thread has definitely lost any positivity on him being appointed mainly due to the Bayern fans

Thread has definitely lost any positivity on him being appointed mainly due to the Bayern fans

It is weird, just trolling or acutely aware Bayern is slowly taking the United road to irrationality?

We’ve tried:

- steady hands: Moyes = FAIL
- possession: Van Gaal = FAIL
- quick fix: Jose = FAIL
- vibes: Ole FAIL
- up and coming / long term: EtH = FAIL
- director audit: Rangnick = FAIL
- complete noob: Carrick = FAIL

My fear is that we’re now all out of strategies!

Maybe we just need:
- Fergie

Man. United currently are everything Arsenal were in 2018. He didn't enjoy that experience so won't be rushing to join a similar club.

Would be different if Liverpool or Man. City seriously came in for him obviously.

Tuchel did a pretty good job in similar circumstances at Chelsea.

He came in when they were about 8th/9th at halfway stage of the season and a complete mess defensively. Tightened them up almost instantly, got them finishing top 4 and won the CL for good measure. The next season they finished 3rd (albeit a good way off the top 2) and lost two cup finals on penalties. Also nearly knocked Real Madrid out who went on to win the CL.

His Bayern spell was underwhelming but again Neuer dosen't let that ball slip out of his hand and they're in another CL final and possibly win it.

Surprised at the negativity about him on this thread, he's comfortably the best out of work manager out there.

We’ve tried:

Maybe we just need:
- Fergie
Welcome to the world of every other club until they hit the jackpot.

Tuchel did a pretty good job in similar circumstances at Chelsea.

He came in when they were about 8th/9th at halfway stage of the season and a complete mess defensively. Tightened them up almost instantly, got them finishing top 4 and won the CL for good measure. The next season they finished 3rd (albeit a good way off the top 2) and lost two cup finals on penalties. Also nearly knocked Real Madrid out who went on to win the CL.

His Bayern spell was underwhelming but again Neuer dosen't let that ball slip out of his hand and they're in another CL final and possibly win it.

Surprised at the negativity about him on this thread, he's comfortably the best out of work manager out there.

Thanks for positivity this was much needed

We’ve tried:

Maybe we just need:
- Fergie

Not really sure Carrick could be classed as a fail there.

He definitley should have been given the interim role instead of Rangnick.

We’ve tried:

Maybe we just need:
- Fergie
Carrick is the most successful manager in the history of the club. Hardly a fail.

Isn't he in a bit of a state personally after his divorce? I've heard reports that he hasn't been the same since it happened and his hearts just not in it right now.

Not trying to be negative or anything but I do remember hearing something like this at some point.

We’ve tried:

Maybe we just need:
- Fergie

Maybe the next way to go is... Hipster?

We’ve tried:

Maybe we just need:
- Fergie
You include carrick but not giggs?

Well we were the last ones to see his work up close, and what you read here is the end product of the disenchantment that followed.

You include carrick but not giggs?
I included Carrick because while he was a caretaker appointment, he’s gone on to perform well at club level. And I think one common theme is the magnitude of the club and the weight of expectation is challenging. IIRC Carrick ruled himself out because he wasn’t ready. But who is?

Welcome to the world of every other club until they hit the jackpot.
Not sure I agree with this,

- Potter > Zerbi
- Klopp > Slott
- Pellegrini > Pep

All did pretty well before and after.

The main thing I wanted to highlight is that all these different traits and “game models” have left us disappointed for a decade.

So, assuming we’re learning from those mistakes and the upper execs are building long term stability, who replaces EtH without another restart and new “3 year project” ?

We had a stick or twist summer with EtH, we stuck and now we have:
- de ligt
- masa
- Ugarte
- zirkzee

And I’d argue the latter two need a fairly particular system to excel.

I included Carrick because while he was a caretaker appointment, he’s gone on to perform well at club level. And I think one common theme is the magnitude of the club and the weight of expectation is challenging. IIRC Carrick ruled himself out because he wasn’t ready. But who is?
Can Fergie do a Jupp Heynckes and manage us until we get a suitable one?

Not sure I agree with this,

- Potter > Zerbi
- Klopp > Slott
- Pellegrini > Pep

All did pretty well before and after.

The main thing I wanted to highlight is that all these different traits and “game models” have left us disappointed for a decade.

So, assuming we’re learning from those mistakes and the upper execs are building long term stability, who replaces EtH without another restart and new “3 year project” ?

We had a stick or twist summer with EtH, we stuck and now we have:
- de ligt
- masa
- Ugarte
- zirkzee

And I’d argue the latter two need a fairly particular system to excel.
How the feck are you including Slott in this after he’s played a dozen games with zero injuries to contend with and hasn’t yet played anyone in the top half of the table? Bit premature isn’t it?

I don't think Pepperjack is gonna come across town bro. Maybe if Sir Jim bribes some officials and pumps some dark money into the club though.

I was thinking more like, an unknown ballboy turned coach from Germany who led 1860 Munich to the biggest xg in Europe or something like that.

Aside from someone like Alonso, Nagelsmann would be the best option for us. He's regarded as a tactician, but still has charisma and is good with players. His teams also play progressive football but while he would be the best fit, I don't see him leaving Germany until after the WC which leaves us in a bind.
The red flags with Tuchel will be how he has fallen out with most upper management and even squad, during his coaching stints. I don't think we can risk having a combustible coach given our squad is obviously suffering from a lack of confidence.

A left field appointment would be someone like Thomas Frank. His teams are attractive, punch above their weight and hold their own against bigger teams. He also seems personable and while he isn't a brand name so to speak, maybe we should be staying away from coaching brand names and focus on the best coach for our squad. We don't have the financial leeway to bring in a coach that's going to want to bin off half the squad. We've got the bones of a good squad and with the additions of top tier talents and improvement in certain playing roles, we should have a squad that can compete with the best.