Looks like Tuchel turned us down, not the other way around according to BILD

How the feck are you including Slott in this after he’s played a dozen games with zero injuries to contend with and hasn’t yet played anyone in the top half of the table? Bit premature isn’t it?
Yes it's premature, but Slott by name and slotted in by nature. No signings, no drama, top of the league... granted only 6 games in with a tough run ahead but when we were last top of the league? I genuinely can't remember. So yeah I'd call that a smooth transition.

Yes it's premature, but Slott by name and slotted in by nature. No signings, no drama, top of the league... granted only 6 games in with a tough run ahead but when we were last top of the league? I genuinely can't remember. So yeah I'd call that a smooth transition.
A smooth transition for the first 2 months and not referencing any of that context is a bit of a stretch when you’re putting him alongside Pep no?

Why would he accept one

Again why would he accept that? He is a top manager, no top manager would accept such an insulting offer
Which big club is likely coming in for him within the period of this and next season? If he were confident of his ability to stay beyond 2 years (despite proving otherwise in his previous two big clubs), then he should be fine with it.

He should actually be understanding of a short contract given how PSG, Chelsea and Bayern went.

Again why would he accept that? He is a top manager, no top manager would accept such an insulting offer

Football has short memories - the longer he stays out of management, the greater the risk that people will think he's a has-been like Mourinho. No other big club needs him.

We're the only ones in crisis mode in the PL in the top 8 or so.
RM and Barca are fine.
PSG he can't go back.
He's done the tour of Germany and isn't going back to a BvB level club.
Italy might be possible but for who? Motta, Conte, Inzaghi are set. That leaves Roma and Milan and you'd think we're bigger than both.

To me, Tuchel on an interim / a short contract we could get out of (5-7m sack fee) is the most obvious thing we can do right now.

Last edited:
Which big club is likely coming in for him within the period of this and next season? If he were confident of his ability to stay beyond 2 years (despite proving otherwise in his previous two big clubs), then he should be fine with it.

He should actually be understanding of a short contract given how PSG, Chelsea and Bayern went.
Name a top manager who accepted such a deal before…

Football has short memories - the longer he stays out of management, the greater the risk that people will think he's a has-been like Mourinho. No other big club needs him.

We're the only ones in crisis mode in the PL in the top 8 or so.
RM and Barca are fine.
PSG he can't go back.
He's done the tour of Germany and isn't going back to a BvB level club.
Italy might be possible but for who? Motta, Conte, Inzaghi are set. That leaves Roma and Milan and you'd think we're bigger than both.

To me, Tuchel on an interim / a short contract we could get out of (5-7m sack fee) is the most obvious thing we can do right now.
If you can name the precedent for when this happened before then fine.

Why would he want to take over a club that's in the middle of its season, and a semi-severe performance crisis as well? No preparation time, immediate need to deliver in a very challenging league with a squad that is questionable to be of top-6 quality, no possibility to change the squad for a few more months... not exactly an attractive proposal. Especially not when you stack a shortterm contract on top of that.

And the other way around, I really don't think that Tuchel is a good fit for United. He craves exactly the comprehensive, unchecked power that the club is trying to scale back from and put onto multiple shoulders. He's not exactly an easy character to work with either, is my impression at at least.

Name a top manager who accepted such a deal before…
The poster suggested 2+1 and it's not dissimilar to what he's previously taken. He's imploded in 2-3 seasons at every club bar dortmund for one reason or another.

This idea that he should see himself above a shorter deal is a bit stupid. The guy is unemployed and waiting for a good gig ontop of it all.

Why would he want to take over a club that's in the middle of its season, and a semi-severe performance crisis as well? No preparation time, immediate need to deliver in a very challenging league with a squad that is questionable to be of top-6 quality, no possibility to change the squad for a few more months... not exactly an attractive proposal. Especially not when you stack a shortterm contract on top of that.

And the other way around, I really don't think that Tuchel is a good fit for United. He craves exactly the comprehensive, unchecked power that the club is trying to scale back from and put onto multiple shoulders. He's not exactly an easy character to work with either, is my impression at at least.
Because it's a big club, a great opportunity to be at the right place in the right time under a new regime, his partner is in England and his priority is the PL. Pick a reason.