Looks like Tuchel turned us down, not the other way around according to BILD

No United fan should ever trust Bild when it comes into their United rumours.

he simply has a fallout almost everywhere he works. Dortmund were glad to get rid of him, despite his success there. Chelsea were glad to get rid and so were we, until we struggled to find a successor. That can’t be a coincidence. Not three times.

Would still take him at Utd

Would still take him at Utd
I wouldn’t if I were you. His stint with us was disastrous at times. Picked a fight with all of the German media that he could never win. I think at a club with your structure, he would be a catastrophe.

I don’t want to see us play 343, but we don’t have the squad for it anyway.

Taking on, or considering taking on, a manager who seems to exclusively play a system we’ve not built our squad for, seems like a repeat of all our past failures.

Edit: As an aside, with the numbers of players we have, it’d be useful to build in this flexibility with our squad building. If we have 4 fullbacks, I’d like two of them to be able to do a good job at wing back. Dalot and Shaw can kind of do it, but I wouldn’t say either of them do it well. I’ve seen nothing of Mazraoui yet to indicate he could do a better than average job there.

We’d also need another sweeper style player, as the only one who could play that role is Martinez and he’s injured or not at it half the time.

Not even going to start on Bruno and the forwards and how we’d make that work.

Nevermind, it just wouldn’t work for us.

Last edited:
Can you blame him? I wouldn't want anything to do with this mess.

Massive amount of scrutiny and you're never going to have job security when the true talent level of your squad is a finish somewhere between 5th and 7th at a club that believes it has a right to be competing for trophies every season simply because of its history and therefore always has unreasonable expectations.

Quite frankly we're lucky anyone is willing to come here and manage.
Is that you Todd Boehly?

Why we still going on about Tuchel. That ships clearly sailed away now. We need to focus on either Alonso or Nagelsmann.

Not sure this is true of Tuchel. He apparently fell out with Boehly because he was being asked to be both the coach and DoF during Boehly's first summer and he got sick of all the transfer dealings. Essentially he sees himself as the coach and was pissed off that he was expected to run the recruitment also.

Boehly had agreed to bring Ronaldo to Chelsea. This was when Ronaldo was throwing his toys out of the pram at United. Tuchel was absolutely not on board with it. They fell out big time. Tuchel was a dead man walking after that.

Not sure if joking or serious
I wouldn't call them amazing because they're unproven beyond one pretty good summer but I do think adding so many people to run the club and then picking a manager that wants them all irrelevant is pointless.

Maybe he changed his mind over us.

More like glad he didn't walk into this shitshow. I guess his eye about club management has become quite discerning after working with PSG and Chelsea.

But he could be just crazy enough to come now. One can hope.

More like glad he didn't walk into this shitshow. I guess his eye about club management has become quite discerning after working with PSG and Chelsea.

But he could be just crazy enough to come now. One can hope.
What are his other choices though? And don't forget that his desire (according by media) is coming back to PL.

Give him whatever he wants. He wouldn't be my first choice but he might actually bang some heads together. We desperately need a manager who is not afraid of the players.

What are his other choices though? And don't forget that his desire (according by media) is coming back to PL.

I'm sure he has been asked to take other jobs, though probably not as high profile. But I wouldn't blame him if he declines again as it seems to be the sane choice. The club is a total mess. But I hope he does take it as he was my top choice after Motta, Nagelsmann, and Inzaghi were off the market, and still is. Would most certainly be galaxies worth of difference from this current manager.

Too bad for De Ligt, though.

However it happened, thank god. I don't want him anywhere near us.

If I’m not mistaken, Tuchel doesn’t even rate De Ligt and Mazraoui hence why they don’t get enough games time right?. But on the other hand, both are Nagelsmann signings and getting lot of games time under Nagelsmann.

However it happened, thank god. I don't want him anywhere near us.
People wanting him for United are making the very same mistake United’s management keeps making. Just looking at the biggest names available and trying to bring them in. Tuchel already failed to provide any bit of stability within a somewhat dysfunctional setup at Bayern. Why in the world would he work out at United? The guy just antagonises everyone he works with and managed to make almost every player worse, who was at the club during his time. He managed to whine for months about needing a true number 6, claiming neither Kimmich, Pavlovic or Gravenberch can play there, only for Gravenberch to start there for Liverpool and Kimmich and Pavlovic forming a great double pivot.
He’s dogmatic, plays incredibly dull football lacking a coherent attacking structure and has an ego not at all supported by his output.
Oh, and while you guys keep on explaining how tough the media around United is, Tuchel already waged war on the German media and lost.

People wanting him for United are making the very same mistake United’s management keeps making. Just looking at the biggest names available and trying to bring them in. Tuchel already failed to provide any bit of stability within a somewhat dysfunctional setup at Bayern. Why in the world would he work out at United? The guy just antagonises everyone he works with and managed to make almost every player worse, who was at the club during his time. He managed to whine for months about needing a true number 6, claiming neither Kimmich, Pavlovic or Gravenberch can play there, only for Gravenberch to start there for Liverpool and Kimmich and Pavlovic forming a great double pivot.
He’s dogmatic, plays incredibly dull football lacking a coherent attacking structure and has an ego not at all supported by his output.
Oh, and while you guys keep on explaining how tough the media around United is, Tuchel already waged war on the German media and lost.

I agree with you 100% Tuchel isn't the right choice for us. We also need a head coach more than a manager, and by what I can tell Tuchel wants way to much power and decision on transfers, which is something we should avoid now that we have the structure in place to build a squad with a long term view and not just cater to the wishes of our managers.

I would rather we give some younger manager like Michel, de Zebri or even Hoeneß a shot at managing the team but of course now those managers will all be reluctant to leave a good working environment for the potential chaos that will await them working for us. We fecked this up in the summer and now we are left with no good solutions unfortunately.

The idea that Tuchel wanted full control is weird. That's just not who he is.
I was worried that he would say no when he met Ratcliffe. Had it been Ashworth I am sure he would have ended up as our manager.

If I’m not mistaken, Tuchel doesn’t even rate De Ligt and Mazraoui hence why they don’t get enough games time right?. But on the other hand, both are Nagelsmann signings and getting lot of games time under Nagelsmann.
People say that often for certain manager/player relationship but it depends on roster which they have at that moment. Mourinho didn't rate Mikhi and Smalling in United but later they both played in first 11 in Roma under him.

I'm sure he has been asked to take other jobs, though probably not as high profile. But I wouldn't blame him if he declines again as it seems to be the sane choice. The club is a total mess. But I hope he does take it as he was my top choice after Motta, Nagelsmann, and Inzaghi were off the market, and still is. Would most certainly be galaxies worth of difference from this current manager.

Too bad for De Ligt, though.
Nagelsmann and Inzaghi are the two standouts for me.

Inzaghi is a real winner, I really enjoy watching his sides. I don't think we will be able to poach him mid-season though.

Nagelsmann employs a system which I think would get the best out of the current players. I also think his style of play would translate really well to the premier league. I think he had some personal reasons for wanting to stay in Germany though, so whether he is an achievable target is yet to be seen.

Nagelsmann and Inzaghi are the two standouts for me.

Inzaghi is a real winner, I really enjoy watching his sides. I don't think we will be able to poach him mid-season though.

Nagelsmann employs a system which I think would get the best out of the current players. I also think his style of play would translate really well to the premier league. I think he had some personal reasons for wanting to stay in Germany though, so whether he is an achievable target is yet to be seen.
He's not going to drop Germany before having taken them to the WC in my opinion.

Had he not won the CL (with a squad built by somebody else) and didnt look a bit like Klopp he wouldn't even be in the conversation.

I imagine he's good at getting players excited and buying into his ideas when he first arrives but that soon wears off and a very average manager is left underneath. It's happened enough times to not be considered a fluke anymore.

You can’t blame him really. ETH will probably go on to be a decent manager elsewhere, this club is rotten at the moment and I’m not sure it’s right for anyone, player or manager, to excel

De Ligt was too uncomfortable with the ball and he didn't think Mazraouis defensive abilities are good enough to play in his system.
Also Tuchel's ego is too big to be just an interim manager. He even put Bayern to an ultimatum before taking over from Nagelsmann. Apparently he said he'll take over immediately or not at all.

You can’t blame him really. ETH will probably go on to be a decent manager elsewhere, this club is rotten at the moment and I’m not sure it’s right for anyone, player or manager, to excel
How is it rotten at the moment? We just had an ownership change and cleared out a bunch of deadwood. Brought in new players demanded by the manager. How is the club to be blamed for this shitshow? The manager is incapable of motivating these players, set them up well defensively.. this is the first time i firmly believe that the manager is out of his depth