2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Not a great performance, but it’s so pleasing seeing him coming forward with the ball. It’s almost a unique skill how he’s able to disguise his choice of pass until the last second. It’s crucial to our build-up in my opinion.

I think he’s clearly still building into form. Some shaky moments, but also moments of absolute class. Big season incoming.

Not his best performance but surprised to see the comments on here saying he was awful and should be benched etc. he was broadly fine

I think he’s clearly still building into form. Some shaky moments, but also moments of absolute class. Big season incoming.

Yeah he seems a player that needs a couple of games to get his sharpness. Got done by Traore for pace when being left exposed which will happen to literally any player in the league and had one pretty understandable misplaced pass.

Other than that fine, his passing through the lines wasn't needed so much because we played around them so easily for most of the game.

Not his best performance but surprised to see the comments on here saying he was awful and should be benched etc. he was broadly fine
Some people will never be comfortable with him as he is the opposite of what a Premier League CB should be on paper.

Not great again. That's 2 in a row he's been poor. His lack of pace was exposed tonight. Hopefully down the line Yoro sorts this n he's sold for profit.

Not great again. That's 2 in a row he's been poor. His lack of pace was exposed tonight. Hopefully down the line Yoro sorts this n he's sold for profit.
Dafaq you talking about? Martinez is our best defender and hope he doesn’t get sold. You drunk after the game?

Not many defenders can out run Traore, he was exposed once the second time he "sent him to the gym"

Fair fecks to Carragher for this :lol:

On Licha; he just keeps showing how much of a General he is. For me he's the captain when Bruno isn't playing. I have confidence that he'll get into the swing of things soon. I wish I could say that for all of our players.

Last edited:
He wasn't great against City, but he played out of position in that game until the Pelistri sub.

He made few rushed tackles today, but I expect that with game time, his decision making will improve and he will get to the Lisandro from the first season.

In general, not this game, are people seriously expecting for a defender to not be dribble ever? to not misscontrol, loose the ball or anticipate badly in some ocassion? or to not be caught sometime out of position?...
He certainly had some mistakes, not his best game (regarding his very own best level). Like that last foul at the end of the game, he also took the sight of the ball on an ocassion that later he ended sending Bruno with a great pass forward, yet he still was too overvonfident there and of course sometimes some player will dribble him...yet he also put some great balls forward, had a very important clearence and bail out mates when pressured offering himself for a pass as usual. I guess some fellas here are trolling, otherwise chill out...

He was bad today. Had couple of good moments but overall he was the weakest link in that defence where Mazraoui and Maguire had great games and Dalot was good. Hoping it's a one off as he was brilliant for Argentina at the Copa, not conceding a single goal while he was on the pitch.

He hasn`t been killing it for some time. His position as untouchable first choice LCB needs to be questioned.
His lack of pace and strength is an issue in certain situations.
He was outpaced and outmuscled by Adama Traore. Anyone else? Who is not outpaced and outmuscled by Traore? Walker perhaps? In the past, he’s made Shaw look like a child. The man is built like a tank with the acceleration of a Veyron.

He hasn`t been killing it for some time. His position as untouchable first choice LCB needs to be questioned.
Yep, it's his spot that should be most under threat from De Ligt at the moment.

He's been injured/ coming back from injury for some time

Today was his second game back having missed pretty much all of preseason.. how about manage expectations? Players aren't robots

Can't belive people are criticising him. Our last 3 games, fulham, city, city... We look a different team to without him. Nailed on starter every time he's fit

Can't belive people are criticising him. Our last 3 games, fulham, city, city... We look a different team to without him. Nailed on starter every time he's fit
Nobody should be nailed on. Those in form keep their places. They should all welcome increased competition

Not worried at all. Even his passing game wasn’t all the way there so it shows he’s still getting up to speed. He’s one of our most reliable players. I have no doubt that if he stays fit he’ll be back to top form soon enough.

He was bad today. Had couple of good moments but overall he was the weakest link in that defence where Mazraoui and Maguire had great games and Dalot was good.

His timing was off.

But even out of form he progressed the ball 654 yards (371 yards through passing and 283 yards through carries). Second highest on the list was Maguire with 428 yards, and Maguire lost the ball alot more. In fact, only Mazraoui and Mainoo had higher completion rate in our team.

Martinez contribution to the team is invaluable. But you could argue, if he dont improve when match fit, that we could consider him as a LB.

Martinez wasn't at his best against fulham but he is still one of the best defenders in the league. His reading of the game and distribution is still top notch. The more players like him, Mazaraoui, Amad etc that you have, the higher your technical levels. The only time he got exposed was on the wing against Traore who is literally a burger lorry with no brake fluid running off a ramp in a straight line and has done that same thing to most defenders in the PL. Martinez will improve.. his intelligence and grit will ultimately mean he succeeds.

The competition in the center back area will bring the best out of him too. Yoro, De ligt and Martinez are a good bunch - let them scrap for the two roles. I have no worries about him.

Today was his second game back having missed pretty much all of preseason.. how about manage expectations? Players aren't robots
Never said he was a robot. And i know he had injury problems last season.
But i just think that we should play our best, fittest and sharpest players on the day. If Licha needs a couple of weeks more training to get to peak fitness, we should give him that. Our options at the moment are a Maguire that seems to be in great shape, a De Ligt who didn`t play any games at the Euros and is probably eager to play, an Evans who had a good rest and a preseason. As good as he is, as important as his piercing passes through the lines are for us, i think we are in a good position to manage his minutes at the start of the season.

He player a lot of football in the Copa so I thought he’d be quite sharp. No less sharp than, say, Mainoo or Dalot anyway.

Never said he was a robot. And i know he had injury problems last season.
But i just think that we should play our best, fittest and sharpest players on the day. If Licha needs a couple of weeks more training to get to peak fitness, we should give him that. Our options at the moment are a Maguire that seems to be in great shape, a De Ligt who didn`t play any games at the Euros and is probably eager to play, an Evans who had a good rest and a preseason. As good as he is, as important as his piercing passes through the lines are for us, i think we are in a good position to manage his minutes at the start of the season.

Match sharpness and gelling with teammates are a thing

He's one of our important players so getting him to sharpness is a priority

Him and Bruno are the engine of this team in terms of attitude and character. Hoping he stays injury free and we will be in the top 3 for sure.

Didn't have his best game but that's the thing with(most)quality players. A below average game is usually still a 6 or 7 out of ten.

Didn't have his best game but that's the thing with(most)quality players. A below average game is usually still a 6 or 7 out of ten.

Whilst I agree with the premise, that was definitely more a 4 or 5 display from Martinez yesterday. First match of the season so he gets a pass but he will be out of the team fairly swiftly if he continues to play like that. Spoke really well in the interview with Sky after though.

He player a lot of football in the Copa so I thought he’d be quite sharp. No less sharp than, say, Mainoo or Dalot anyway.
I think it’s just about the mental state. He would be working extra hard to get fit for the FAC final + Copa, it’s natural to let yourself go a bit after that and take a few weeks to get back into the swing of things. His mistakes didn’t come about because he was behind physically.

Whilst I agree with the premise, that was definitely more a 4 or 5 display from Martinez yesterday. First match of the season so he gets a pass but he will be out of the team fairly swiftly if he continues to play like that. Spoke really well in the interview with Sky after though.

I disagree, more like a 6.5 - 7, no way he was as bad as some of you are making out. Because his ceiling and best level is so high, if he is not perfect, people act like he is awful. The truth is, even his worst is good.

Honestly about as bad an opinion as I’ve ever read on here

I disagree, more like a 6.5 - 7, no way he was as bad as some of you are making out. Because his ceiling and best level is so high, if he is not perfect, people act like he is awful. The truth is, even his worst is good.
Agreed and that’s the most impressive thing about him as a player. His bottom level is really good, his top level is world class. Compare to a player like Rashford who when he’s not on it, is a complete and utter detriment to the team. Even on his worst days, Martinez will still give so much to the team.

He’s barely had a pre season and spent his first game back playing out of position at LB. Crazy the lack of patience from some. Licha is so important to us and he’ll come good.

If people think he was crap yesterday I can't wait to see when he's good in their eyes... He'll be the love child of Maldini, Ferdinand, Beckenbauer and Stam then