2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Martinez, Bruno and Casemiro were all passing well below there usual standards today.

All 3 were awful!

And we didn’t get punished so he was fortunate in those instances. Doesn’t change the fact the goals sd conceded came from suicidal midfield play that any defence would be unable to contain.
Whats that got to do with his performance. He also made suicidal mistakes he just did not get punished. Which indicates he was also poor just like those in midfield

Whats that got to do with his performance. He also made suicidal mistakes he just did not get punished. Which indicates he was also poor just like those in midfield
In defence today him and De Ligt dealt with everything they needed to. Jota didn’t have a sniff. It wasn’t a flawless performance but was far better than us being made out on here.

In defence today him and De Ligt dealt with everything they needed to. Jota didn’t have a sniff. It wasn’t a flawless performance but was far better than us being made out on here.
Yes and he made at least 2 suicidal errors

He was top class in copa America. Can't suddenly say he is shite. I feel like many he has been poor this season but then maybe that tells more about the manager and the tactics.

If we hire an idiot that may well happen, yes.

Having said that, Licha has definitely had an uncharacteristically poor start to the season.
It's not that uncharachteristic. Martinez has had periods for us where he's been very good, but he's also been a lot more inconsistent than people make out.

The hope is that if he can put the injuries behind him and get a run of games together he might develop more consistency, but at the moment it's just hope. In his first season his form had already dropped off quite significantly before the injuries started.

A whole season where he played week-in week-out and wasn't injured for large chunks of the campaign. Nice one.

You can read the funniest comments on here after a bad result. I guess football isn't a team game anymore, but rather a sport in which 1 good player should override every single problem the team is facing, and every single shortcoming the squad has, otherwise every player is shit. Or I don't even know what his way of thinking is.

He was ball watching for Diaz's second goal. Weather he could've prevent Salah's cross for Diaz's first goal is debatable.

Had two super bad passes in the middle that Liverpool did not convert into goals. So, he didn't deal with everything, not what I'd expect from our CB's.

But I do want to say that all the posters who waited for him to hit a bad patch of form to start saying "Ha, I told you he wasn't a good player". Go and watch his first season with us. He was exceptional for us. Unfortunately, he is in bad form for us at the moment. Does not mean he is a bad player, only that at the moment, he is playing on much lower level that we normally know he can play.

He was top class in copa America. Can't suddenly say he is shite. I feel like many he has been poor this season but then maybe that tells more about the manager and the tactics.
No he wasn't. He was awful.in first game v canada. Lucky to get away without conceding a penalty

No he wasn't. He was awful.in first game v canada. Lucky to get away without conceding a penalty
One mistake so he must be awful. Great way to judge a player because based on that every player must be awful.

BTW Argentina conceded 0 goals and Argentinian press praised his performance and wanted him to start ahead of Otamendi moving forward.

He was horrific in most games last season. You could put it down to his injuries and lack of match fitness.

Hopefully, he gets back to his first season's level soon.

Seems it has taken three games of new season for people to start accepting that he’s not in fact one of the best five defenders in the world, or one of the best defenders in United’s history. He’s a decent defender, great on the ball but ultimately not that amazing which some have said for a while (though due to his immense reputation it was not really allowed to question his ability here).

But yeah Pep said he’s the best so he must be.
I have huge respect for Pep as a manager and I genuinely do like him as a person, but he's full of shit; nobody should take anything he says in press conferences at face value.

Seems it has taken three games of new season for people to start accepting that he’s not in fact one of the best five defenders in the world, or one of the best defenders in United’s history. He’s a decent defender, great on the ball but ultimately not that amazing which some have said for a while (though due to his immense reputation it was not really allowed to question his ability here).

But yeah Pep said he’s the best so he must be.
Come on. Who was saying that?

Posting before reading the other comments so as not to be influenced by them.

I really like Martinez, is combative battling style and energy. He's just what I imagine Nobby Styles was like. But if Maguire given the ball away so many times as Martinez did the internet would be awash with criticism and memes.

I think, trying to be impartial here, he was awful, a liability and we had so much hope for when he came back. Simply analyzed by the facts it was a terrible display today. He was a bit susceptible to this in games last year as well but I overlooked it because I like his attitude and want him to be great. I seem to think that he was very solid when he first came, after a poor first game. So I think he has the ability in him.

Is he good enough and just having a poor spell and some back luck ?

Come on. Who was saying that?
He’s been called ‘clearly a top 5 defender’ and any attempt to dispute that was met with super strong resistance. Someone who is clearly a top 5 defender would by default be one of the best in our history, in recent 25 years the only ones who could have staked that claim had been Rio, Vidic and Stam, and even with them I’m not sure all would have so easily, clearly been top 5 at their time.

Last season? A season that he barely played? Where he obviously shouldn't have been playing at the start of the season as his injury hadn't healed properly and he was poor, then he only started another five games all season (which we won all five).
Even the season before we had a goal difference of 15, scoring 58 goals and playing abysmal football along the way. What you are saying about last season is spot on, my point is different though. I think his influence and that of "ball playing" CB is vastly overrated and certainly is among United fans.

His supposedly crucial role, is very little relevant when your attack and midfield is absolute crap.

De Ligt made up for 2 of Lisandro's misplaced passes. He was bailed out

Never realized that until now. So he had a crucial role in the team scoring 58 goals the season before and having the great GD of 15?

What are you trying to prove? This is just surface-level nonsense you're throwing at me. The worst thing about discussing players with others is when they bring up team achievements and collective results as an attempt to prove their point about one specific player on that team. It leads to some of the biggest misconceptions among football fans, especially when you compare players from different teams. I'm aware of our goal difference as I'm sure any United supporter is. That doesn't mean Martínez isn't a great player.

I don't think he's a top 5 CB in the world defensively, not even close. United fans who have been pushing that agenda either let the hype get to their heads, or never really watch other teams' matches, or don't really know how to assess players and have no idea what distinguishes some of the best CBs in the world from Martínez (primarily their physical profile). Or maybe all of these are true for a lot of them.

However, at the same time, I think some of the best possession-oriented coaches in the world, like Pep, and all of his disciples would love to have the player in their team, because of his line breaking passes, overall passing abilities as a centre half, and because I don't think there's another centre half or left-back in the world who's as press resistant as Martínez. He's basically a cheat code in the build-up. A few bad performances won't change that.

Also, when 80% of our current squad has shown in the past that they are really good players, whether at United or in their previous teams, or both, then don't you think the issue is with the system, rather than our players forgetting how to play football overnight? Because I'm sure I could list at least 15 players from the current team who are miles better footballers than what they've shown in the last 12 months.

Last edited:
What are you trying to prove? This is just surface-level nonsense you're throwing at me. The worst thing about discussing players with others is when they bring up team achievements and collective results as an attempt to prove their point about one specific player on that team. It leads to some of the biggest misconceptions among football fans, especially when you compare players from different teams. I'm aware of our goal difference as I'm sure any United supporter is. That doesn't mean Martínez isn't a great player.

I don't think he's a top 5 CB in the world defensively, not even close. United fans who have been pushing that agenda either let the hype get to their heads, or never really watch other teams' matches, or don't really know how to assess players and have no idea what distinguishes some of the best CBs in the world from Martínez (primarily their physical profile). Or maybe all of these are true for a lot of them.

However, at the same time, I think some of the best possession-oriented coaches in the world, like Pep, and all of his disciples would love to have the player in their team, because of his line breaking passes, overall passing abilities as a centre half, and because I don't think there's another centre half or left-back in the world who's as press resistant as Martínez. He's basically a cheat code in the build-up. A few bad performances won't change that.

Also, when 80% of our current squad has shown in the past that they are really good players, whether at United or in their previous teams, or both, then don't you think the issue is with the system, rather than our players forgetting how to play football overnight? Because I'm sure I could list at least 15 players from the current team who are miles better footballers than what they've shown in the last 12 months.
Pep wouldn't want him at CB despite his comments. He's long realised that physicality is key in the PL.

Pep wouldn't want him at CB despite his comments. He's long realised that physicality is key in the PL.

He would arguably start for City at LB, though, which would mean he would often find himself as a wide defender or at CCB every game.

The nonsense about how crucial his in possession qualities are, is pretty much overrated. That's my point. I actually think he is one of our best players and certainly or second best CB now after de Ligt, I rate him and I like him. Just hate the notion about how crucial his game is supposedly in a broken system that can't progress the ball and is labored.

We are shit in much more crucial positions where ball possession is much more essential. We have wingers who can't dribble and are crap, but the CB are so crucial supposedly. We can play with Maguire and Evans yesterday if our winger were any good or Casemiro was in Arabia. Martinez tries to do too much too often and he is out of form. He is a CB, we need better elsewhere.

He has had an incredibly ropey start to the season that's for sure.

The one who shall not be criticised.
Personally think his ball playing skill is not worth the hassle we need to make adjustments to. Same goes for Maguire’s height vs pace

The nonsense about how crucial his in possession qualities are, is pretty much overrated. That's my point. I actually think he is one of our best players and certainly or second best CB now after de Ligt, I rate him and I like him. Just hate the notion about how crucial his game is supposedly in a broken system that can't progress the ball and is labored.

We are shit in much more crucial positions where ball possession is much more essential. We have wingers who can't dribble and are crap, but the CB are so crucial supposedly. We can play with Maguire and Evans yesterday if our winger were any good or Casemiro was in Arabia. Martinez tries to do too much too often and he is out of form. He is a CB, we need better elsewhere.

No, not really IMO. And I don't see how your second sentence can realistically be correct. Maguire and De Ligt are easily better than him defensively, and I reckon Yoro is too, despite his rawness, which will lead to some mistakes and bad performances this season from him.

Your second paragraph is comparing different phases of our play IMO. Our wingers have nothing to do with Martínez's importance and how we build out from deep altogether.

The one who shall not be criticised.
Personally think his ball playing skill is not worth the hassle we need to make adjustments to. Same goes for Maguire’s height vs pace
He’s just a small Daley Blind with attitude

I was saying similar last week. It bizarre that many think a CB is so crucial to us playing good football. We don't see it our play at all.

His natural deficiencies (height, physicality, pace) mean when he’s not playing at peak form he’s such a liability. Scary floor off-form

I wouldn’t build my defense around that type of player.