2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He was horrific in most games last season. You could put it down to his injuries and lack of match fitness.

Hopefully, he gets back to his first season's level soon.
Horrific?

He started the season poorly, but it turned out that he shouldn't have even been playing as his injury hadn't healed properly and he had to go have surgery again. When he came back from that he was good, but only lasted a few games before getting injured again. Then basically didn't play again until the last month, where he was quite good (with a couple of very good games).

On the other hand, I think his first season gets overrated a bit on here. He certainly had a three or so month period where he was very good (one of the best in the league), but his form had already dropped off quite a bit for a few months before he got the injury that ended his season. He wasn't bad during that period, but overall I'd say he was only decent at the time (some good games, some bad games, mostly decent).

If he can stay fit it's going to be interesting to see how he goes. So far during his time here he's been somewhat inconsistent, but despite being here two seasons he's really only had two-thirds of a season of regular games. Going forward he could really go any way. He may continue being injury-prone, he may get over his injuries but continue being quite up-and-down, or he may get over his injuries and become consistently good. Only time will tell so all we can do is give him time and see which way it goes.

No, not really IMO. And I don't see how your second sentence can realistically be correct. Maguire and De Ligt are easily better than him defensively, and I reckon Yoro is too, despite his rawness, which will lead to some mistakes and bad performances this season from him.

Your second paragraph is comparing different phases of our play IMO. Our wingers have nothing to do with Martínez's importance and how we build out from deep altogether.
To say Maguire is better than him defensively (especially 'easily') you have to be comparing Maguire while in-form to Martinez while out-of-form. At which time, yes I'd agree.

But if you compare like-for-like, with both of them in good form I'd say it's at best even and likely Martinez being better, and when both are in bad form Maguire is much worse.

He’s been called ‘clearly a top 5 defender’ and any attempt to dispute that was met with super strong resistance. Someone who is clearly a top 5 defender would by default be one of the best in our history, in recent 25 years the only ones who could have staked that claim had been Rio, Vidic and Stam, and even with them I’m not sure all would have so easily, clearly been top 5 at their time.
That does not by default make them one of the best in our history. You've drawn that conclusion in your own head. Vinicius Junior is one of the best forwards in the world right now. That does not automatically make him one of the best forwards in Real Madrid's history.

What about the season before? Was our football very good and we were scoring goals galore?
We certainly would've finished a lot lower than 3rd had Martinez been injured for large chunks of that season.

It would be on merit currently, Martinez is horribly out of form. It's puzzling too because he was very good at the Copa America.

For sure. Martinez has been underwhelming since coming back from injury I feel. He's just masking it with his attitude, and (lots of) people are buying it.

An average team will eventually reduce the level of everyone.

He's one of your "few" best players , was immense just couple of months ago with Argentina, and we were just lauding him as one of the best CBs in the world.
it's stunning how fans quickly forget that, and cherry pick few matches; Textbook Recency Bias!

We were told that his absence was the reason (along with Shaw) we were bad last season. Very convenient excuse, thankfully the manager and his fans won’t have that to hide from this season.

He was so bad yesterday, did not rate him as I always rate pace in defence but he has been good for us.

I really rate Martinez, but I wouldn’t be against us going with De Ligt and Yoro and playing him at LB/CDM.

An average team will eventually reduce the level of everyone.

He's one of your "few" best players , was immense just couple of months ago with Argentina, and we were just lauding him as one of the best CBs in the world.
it's stunning how fans quickly forget that, and cherry pick few matches; Textbook Recency Bias!

I mean, recency bias should be allowed when assessing players performance, surely?
It doesn't matter if you used to be good, if you're currently bad?

Martinez played very well for Argentina in july. Sure. He was also pretty fecking bad against Liverpool. Not recency bias, just using your eyes.

This guy just posted a picture on Instagram smiling and having a great time with Alexis MacAllister, one day after 0-3 loss to Liverpool :lol::lol:

No shame this lad, especially after that performance.

This guy just posted a picture on Instagram smiling and having a great time with Alexis MacAllister, one day after 0-3 loss to Liverpool :lol::lol:

Don't understand why people get mad at this? Who cares? What matters is what he does on the pitch, his private life is not relevant in this context.

Smiling I can take but I draw the line at having a great time

De Ligt is going to end up replacing Martinez instead of Maguire, isn't he?
De Ligt and Yoro is gonna be our long-term duo. Both Maguire and Lisandro have so many weaknesses in their games to be starting CBs for a top team (but we aren’t so that’s why they start/often start for us).

But then, I also thought that Evans and Smalling is also gonna be our long-term CB partnership.

I saw that, what an utter ingrate, just taking the piss.

Can you imagine Roy Keane willingly taking pictures smiling next to Jason McAteer first hour of arriving to Ireland camp after getting trounced and rondo’d at home against Liverpool?
Keane would be smashing into him first 5 minutes in training.
Martinez was shite on Sunday and he was shite in the 7-0, no wonder we are where we are with this lot.

“The Butcher” is more than welcome to feck off back to Ajax, wouldn’t be missed one bit.

I don’t understand the youth of today.
No discipline, no morality, no respect.

I saw that, what an utter ingrate, just taking the piss.

Can you imagine Roy Keane willingly taking pictures smiling next to Jason McAteer first hour of arriving to Ireland camp after getting trounced and rondo’d at home against Liverpool?
Keane would be smashing into him first 5 minutes in training.
Martinez was shite on Sunday and he was shite in the 7-0, no wonder we are where we are with this lot.

“The Butcher” is more than welcome to feck off back to Ajax, wouldn’t be missed one bit.

I don’t understand the youth of today.
No discipline, no morality, no respect.

I'm not sure if you're taking the piss with the last part or not.

De Ligt is going to end up replacing Martinez instead of Maguire, isn't he?
Who's fault will that be? not Maguire. The past 12 months Maguire's form has been solid to good. Last season he was probably our best performing CB.

Anyway regarding Martinez he is one of ten Hag's main men so I think he'd have to continue to drop a series of stinkers before he gets the chop IMO.
He may lack pace and there may be better box defenders at the club but there is no one better at passing the ball at the back than the Argentinian and his game is integral in to how ten Hag wants the team to play.
So here's hoping his form picks up.

Everybody is entitled to opinions, they are just that. But reading the last few comments on here.....I see dumb people. Seriously revisit this page in three months and eat your words, absolute drivel on here. He is a top top centre back coming from a long injury lay off and has been ok, not at his best. COmments here are bar the height like his first 3/4games of career here. Nonsense comments

Who's fault will that be? not Maguire. The past 12 months Maguire's form has been solid to good. Last season he was probably our best performing CB.

Anyway regarding Martinez he is one of ten Hag's main men so I think he'd have to continue to drop a series of stinkers before he gets the chop IMO.
He may lack pace and there may be better box defenders at the club but there is no one better at passing the ball at the back than the Argentinian and his game is integral in to how ten Hag wants the team to play.
So here's hoping his form picks up.
Even his passing was poor in the first three games.

De Ligt and Yoro is gonna be our long-term duo. Both Maguire and Lisandro have so many weaknesses in their games to be starting CBs for a top team (but we aren’t so that’s why they start/often start for us).

But then, I also thought that Evans and Smalling is also gonna be our long-term CB partnership.

Agreed. Martinez will be a solid backup, though, and he can very much play a part in specific games/ within specific roles/contexts. Maybe even as a DM.
But I don't see him as a bona fide starter for us in the long term.

Everybody is entitled to opinions, they are just that. But reading the last few comments on here.....I see dumb people. Seriously revisit this page in three months and eat your words, absolute drivel on here. He is a top top centre back coming from a long injury lay off and has been ok, not at his best. COmments here are bar the height like his first 3/4games of career here. Nonsense comments

Are you confident he'll come back as a top centre back? Are you even sure he'll stay healthy for long enough to regain his form?
Don't mistake honest judgements of recent performances with anything else. The actual nonsense is saying "he was a top class centre back before summer, therefore he is a top class centre back right now".
Credit where credit's due - but that goes both ways.

Don't understand why people get mad at this? Who cares? What matters is what he does on the pitch, his private life is not relevant in this context.

You are going to be friends with players from other teams I don't think anyone could have an issue with that but you should have more sense than to post on social media yourself laughing with an opposing player just after getting beat three nil at home.

To each his own I suppose, but to me it suggests what I've suspected all along; he values his national team and teammates more than club.

As long as he's a professional when he plays for us, then it doesn't really matter like you said. But maybe some of our fans can stop worshipping him like he bleeds red or something.

Not private if you post if on social media anymore! I don’t get why he did it especially after getting thrashed at home!

Was that not in response to the tackle where he left a bit on Alexis where Van Dijk got involved and tried to act the big man?

Awful start to the season.

When he was injured we all said we missed his passing. His passing has been horrific.

Not mad at all. It is just a really weird thing to do when he delivered a shit performance and we lost 0-3, especially when he is well aware of how many United fans follow him on social media. Quick glance at the comments and people weren't happy about it.
Was that not in response to the tackle where he left a bit on Alexis where Van Dijk got involved and tried to act the big man?
Nope. That challenge was on Szoboszlai, not MacAllister.

Hes our best defender but he’s been really poor for the last season and a bit now though.

Imagine if Rashford did post a Picture with Trent after the 3-0 game :lol:

Fans would have burnt the whole house

Not mad at all. It is just a really weird thing to do when he delivered a shit performance and we lost 0-3, especially when he is well aware of how many United fans follow him on social media. Quick glance at the comments and people weren't happy about it.

Nope. That challenge was on Szoboszlai, not MacAllister.
Maybe those united fans should grow up and not be triggered by something that is not relevant?

Imagine if Rashford did post a Picture with Trent after the 3-0 game :lol:

Fans would have burnt the whole house
Exactly this! This is wrong and he should know better but we as fans expect too much from the players. It is just a job for them