2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
So another one of our players that turns up for internationals and not for club.
Or he's just off to a slow start to the season and is finding his form/fitness on international duty where the game is much slower. People need to remember that Martinez was injured for a lot of last season then played Copa America for Argentina and didn't have a pre season with us. I'm not surprised by his slow start. I have no doubt he will be back in form for us soon.

To each his own I suppose, but to me it suggests what I've suspected all along; he values his national team and teammates more than club.

As long as he's a professional when he plays for us, then it doesn't really matter like you said. But maybe some of our fans can stop worshipping him like he bleeds red or something.

Players are almost always more passionate about their national teams than their club teams. Why would you not be? One is your country, the other is your day job. Nothing wrong with valuing your NT more than your club. Players being friendly with their countrymen from other teams has always struck me as a strange thing for fans to get upset about.

So another one of our players that turns up for internationals and not for club.

Or a different tactical setup, different instructions, different teammates etc. that makes his performance different?

Or a different tactical setup, different instructions, different teammates etc. that makes his performance different?
The far more likely explanation, as has been the case for many decent players at this club over the years.

Ye most likely this. Although he was one of our key men in ETH system in his first year.

It also helps if you have a consistent and mobile partner next to you. I think once de Ligt settles in we will see the best of Martinez

This time next year Loro - De Ligt will be our first choice CB pairing, especially when Erik gets given the boot.

He has neither the strength or athleticism to keep both out of the team long term.

This time next year Loro - De Ligt will be our first choice CB pairing, especially when Erik gets given the boot.

He has neither the strength or athleticism to keep both out of the team long term.
And Arne slot will have won a historic quadruple. Oh and Haaland will have scored an incredible 112 goals in the Premier League.

He'll be fine. Players are hardly robots to be able to perform at that high a level all the time. Maybe just needs some time to get form and fitness back to speed

Players are almost always more passionate about their national teams than their club teams. Why would you not be? One is your country, the other is your day job. Nothing wrong with valuing your NT more than your club. Players being friendly with their countrymen from other teams has always struck me as a strange thing for fans to get upset about.
You must not be English then

I couldn't watch but I heard he got injured again. Is that really true? This is getting absurd.

How typical is it of this club's rotten luck to finally sign a good defender and then he's constantly injured.

I couldn't watch but I heard he got injured again. Is that really true? This is getting absurd.

How typical is it of this club's rotten luck to finally sign a good defender and then he's constantly injured.
Doesn't seem bad, probably bruised his back.

A few hairy moments, but I think he was back to himself today. Great distribution.

Some proper 22/23 Martinez, finally. :+1:

Looked much sharper, fizzed passes through the lines that were key to most of our attacks, and looked impassable defensively. He even made three excellent tackles after his 'injury', so that's got to just be a precautionary thing.

Showed why he's my favourite, current United player. His reading of the game is second to none.

That's more like it. Please don't be injured.

Might be a coincidence or the opposition played, but we were more compact today and his passing and defending was much better and back to his usual self.

Bit better but still not at the expected level. Martinez at his best is elite and he has not been that. Now it's time to develop a partnership with De Ligt
What didn't he do right though? I thought he was as good as ever

What didn't he do right though? I thought he was as good as ever
I think his comunication with Dalot was still off. There was a chance before the penalty where he was slow to cover. His partnership with De Ligt still needs some work too.

I think his comunication with Dalot was still off. There was a chance before the penalty where he was slow to cover. His partnership with De Ligt still needs some work too.
Aha ... That was Dalot leaving his man assuming Lisandro would cover though, incidentally Lisandro had to hold his position because one of the Southampton players had a straight run to goal if he vacated that space.

I don't think he (or any other defender) could have done more there in that specific circumstance, as it's not something I believe one would anticipate a full back would randomly do.

Got to say the prospect of him and De Ligt looks amazing. De Ligt showed today how strong and physical he can be and how he’s desperate to succeed win and get stuck in. It’s like having two vidic’s in there.

Thought that was a solid performance. I don't remember any major mistakes from him.

There was one where the winger cut inside Dalot and he was caught flat footed in no mans land. De Ligt cleared it off the line or close to the line, basically prevented a goal.

There was one where the winger cut inside Dalot and he was caught flat footed in no mans land. De Ligt cleared it off the line or close to the line, basically prevented a goal.
Aha ... That was Dalot leaving his man assuming Lisandro would cover though, incidentally Lisandro had to hold his position because one of the Southampton players had a straight run to goal if he vacated that space.

I don't think he (or any other defender) could have done more there in that specific circumstance, as it's not something I believe one would anticipate a full back would randomly do.
I do think Glorio makes a fair point. I'd have to go back and watch it again to be sure. My main point was he can still play better. More decisive and better on the ball though that will come when we have a settled back line and partnerships can start to grow.

I do think Glorio makes a fair point. I'd have to go back and watch it again to be sure. My main point was he can still play better. More decisive and better on the ball though that will come when we have a settled back line and partnerships can start to grow.

I thought he was good on the ball yesterday, obviously we know he can be much better. Line breaking passes are his best passing weapon, he needs to use it more, Eriksen was dropping to left back in the build up, so he wasn't central enough to receive, maybe once or twice Martinez played him into midfield.

As for that bit of play, it can go either way. Martinez should be aware he's going to try and cut inside and be ready to cover, he wasn't. That's what you expect from your centre half there, the runner I thought was a midfielders player to track. Haven't watched it again, so I'm not so sure on that.

Dalot let's him go inside too easily and perhaps he was told to show him down the line and Martinez wasn't ready. It was an odd situation, probably down to a breakdown in communication since they aren't used to playing together on that side.

As if he heard comments about Yoro - De Ligt being our future CB partnership and stepped it up.