2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Gonna say it… Carragher was right. You can’t be his size and play CB in this league. Needs a different role.

He has been crap so far, needs to come back after the break a different player

He was running like he was dragging. Something is not right.

He's been genuinely awful every game this season. Lost count of the amount of times today where he committed high only to get easily spun or outmuscled. Ripped holes in our defence every time and then he has no recovery pace to get back.

Even his passing through the lines and that ability he had to invite the press then break it have been non-existent...and if he's not bringing those then he has absolutely no business being anywhere near the team.

In the longer term, if Ten Hag goes I think there's going to be very, very few managers who come in and have ANY interest in playing a small, slow centre back who has to be covered for on every set-piece situation. Especially when he looks around and sees Saliba, Gabriel, Van Dijk, Konate, Van De Ven etc. Absolute athletes who are all better defenders, dominate in the air and still offer reasonable ball-playing ability.

Slowly working his way to the deadwood pile.

I can’t wait for Yoro to be fit. Surely it has to be him and De Ligt as the future.

This was my post last week. Sticking with this. We massively overrate him. He's had a terrible start to the season.
He has never been a great 1v1 defender especially against pacey dribblers running at him. He used to be great at preventing such situations though, usually by going in aggressively before they turn or reach top speed.

This was my post last week. Sticking with this. We massively overrate him. He's had a terrible start to the season.

I completely agree with you, unfortunately it’s not a view supported by a lot of United fans on here.
He’s a good centre back who gets overrated as he likes a scrap and is passionate. He’s definitely not anywhere near the worlds best in his position though.

Seems it has taken three games of new season for people to start accepting that he’s not in fact one of the best five defenders in the world, or one of the best defenders in United’s history. He’s a decent defender, great on the ball but ultimately not that amazing which some have said for a while (though due to his immense reputation it was not really allowed to question his ability here).

But yeah Pep said he’s the best so he must be.

Has started off the season really poorly, looks slow and should be dropped for Maguire. He has always been over rated by Utd fans, a good player but nothing special.

If he keeps playing like this, he is the one who will have to start worrying about his starting place when Yoro is back...

Several careless passes losing the ball and after Casemiro made the mistake to lose the ball on Liverpool's 2nd goal he wasnt tight enough on Diaz allowing him to shoot and score

Doesnt deserve to play over Maguire and De Ligt at the moment.

Poor today (and wasn't good in first 2 games either according to those who watched). Loved him in 22/23 but hopefully injuries didn't affect his ability. Should be benched next game with Maguire starting.

Gonna say it… Carragher was right. You can’t be his size and play CB in this league. Needs a different role.

Martinez already proved that statement wrong in his first season. He just hasnt been at his first season level since coming back from injuries. Hopefully he will get back to that first season level.

I told you, he isn't as good as you think. Full on passion but he's getting replaced soon.

Martinez already proved that statement wrong in his first season. He just hasnt been at his first season level since coming back from injuries. Hopefully he will get back to that first season level.

He was excellent for a spell up to the world cup, but even before the injury he had not got back to that level post the WC.

Eh, he was good until that 7-0, after was poor and very easily ripped apart

He was excellent for a spell up to the world cup, but even before the injury he had not got back to that level post the WC.

He might not have been excellent after the world cup or not as good as before the world cup but he was still good that first season. This year he has not even been near his post world cup form.

The problems with his performance today had nothing to do with size

He wasnt sharp, lacked the awareness to see that some of the passes he played would be intercepted and wasnt tight enough to his closest opposition player when a cross came in

That's like saying Rashford already proved the haters wrong two years ago

The problems with his performance today had nothing to do with size

He wasnt sharp, lacked the awareness to see that some of the passes he played would be intercepted and wasnt tight enough to his closest opposition player when a cross came in
In a strange way, that's what gives me hope he'll be back to his best. If it was a long term effect of injury, I don't see how it would impact his passing/game awareness, and that's what's been missing as much as anything.

Looks short of form/confidence/match rhythm.

That's like saying Rashford already proved the haters wrong two years ago

Rashford did that season. Martinez did prove Carragher wrong too in his first season, the second season Martinez hardly played because of all the injuries and this third seasons started off badly but the issues werent height related. His best quality is supposed to be his passing but some of his passes were Casemiro-like. His lack of 10/15 cm in height has no effect on his passing or his ability to stay on his man.

Conclusion : Martinez has not been good recently but Carragher is still wrong.

I was surprised by how shaky Martinez looked today. Before we went behind he was making good covering runs but his on the ball performance was not good. With each goal he lost more composure. Was similar at Brighton, he used the ball very badly by his standards. Hopefully it's just an early season blip.

In a strange way, that's what gives me hope he'll be back to his best. If it was a long term effect of injury, I don't see how it would impact his passing/game awareness, and that's what's been missing as much as anything.

Looks short of form/confidence/match rhythm.

Kinda... He did well with Argentina but then again they were the dominant side in the tournament which is different to how we play... But he was poor at the beginning of last season before his injury too. Then when he came back he started to play well and was injured again.

He may get back to playing well but he's done a lot of not playing well between his injuries the past year

He's a superb player going through a patch of terrible form. It happens.

This was the worst game I've seen him play for us though. Needs to sort it quickly.

Was laughed out of town a couple of years ago for suggesting the praise for Martinez and the disparagement of Maguire was misplaced.

Rightfully so.
Will see. I still don’t ever see him being part of a PL centre back pairing that even matched the not-so-lofty record of what Maguire and Lindelöf did together. Wouldn’t surprise me if the next manager much prefers two of the other three to Martinez.

Will see. I still don’t ever see him being part of a PL centre back pairing that even matched the not-so-lofty record of what Maguire and Lindelöf did together. Wouldn’t surprise me if the next manager much prefers two of the other three to Martinez.
If we hire an idiot that may well happen, yes.

Having said that, Licha has definitely had an uncharacteristically poor start to the season.

If we hire an idiot that may well happen, yes.

Having said that, Licha has definitely had an uncharacteristically poor start to the season.
An idiot would like Yoro and De Ligt over Martinez? Doesn’t seem particularly far-fetched to me.

Was laughed out of town a couple of years ago for suggesting the praise for Martinez and the disparagement of Maguire was misplaced.
Seems more are starting to see it now.

A new manager will prioritise power, pace, height and strength at CB. The type of combo we were up against today and most of the rest of the top 6 already have.

The positives of what he brings on the ball are outweighed by his flaws defensively.

Was rubbish.