6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
When asked if Martinez is available, during his pre-match press conference, Ten Hag replied: "He was just training [on Thursday], so I think so. Yeah."

Tottenham 2:0 Man Utd
Are we absolutely sure Martinez is a world class CB...because sometimes he does a good impression of a very bad one.

I get he's blood and thunder and people like that. He's undoubtedly good on the ball. Problem is, he's so ridiculously slow. He makes Maguire look like Usain Bolt. He was very poor last week and he was very poor again tonight.

He's a bit off at the start of this season ain't he? Not really at the races. We kinda need that devil back.

I mean yeah he had the bad og but did he really play that bad otherwise? Seemed fine to me considering coming back from injury

He was better this week but still not great. Maybe he's not fully fit yet, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

After last season, he deserves the benefit of the doubt - just doesn't look fully fit.

Are we absolutely sure Martinez is a world class CB...because sometimes he does a good impression of a very bad one.

I get he's blood and thunder and people like that. He's undoubtedly good on the ball. Problem is, he's so ridiculously slow. He makes Maguire look like Usain Bolt. He was very poor last week and he was very poor again tonight.
Not sure what he did wrong here, made some good tackles, feel this is collateral for the result and toys being thrown out

Up until the own goal, which was a bad mistake he was good and afterwards where the game just stuttered to a boring death. One poor pass in the first half but otherwise very secure on it and covered Shaw's arse more than a few times on that left channel. He's not fast but when did he get exposed for pace or was caught isolated? My stream was choppy but I can't remember an incident where I thought 'he was too slow to get to that' or 'Martinez did poor there'.

Defensively he was more than fine. The bigger issues are Shaw's typical slow season start and the whole midfield/attack in front of the defence. Apart from Casemiro, nobody was showing for the ball or giving a good angle. Nobody on the planet can play progressive balls from the back with that tactical setup and that's on ETH.

Up until the own goal, which was a bad mistake he was good and after where the game just stutter to a boring death. One poor pass in the first half but otherwise very secure on it and covered Shaw's arse more than a few times on that left channel. He's not fast but when did he get exposed for pace or was caught isolated? My stream was choppy but I can't remember an incident where I thought 'he was too slow to get to that' or 'Martinez did poor there'.

Defensively he was more than fine. The bigger issues are Shaw's typical slow season start and the whole midfield/attack in front of the defence. Apart from Casemiro, nobody was showing for the ball or giving a good angle. Nobody on the planet can play progressive balls from the back with that tactical setup and that's on ETH.
I thought the same thing. He shanked the og but not sure he was expecting the opponent player to also Shank it that bad.

Not sure what he did wrong here, made some good tackles, feel this is collateral for the result and toys being thrown out

His lack of pace is concerning. He was present in every single one of our big thrashings last season, he was hooked at HT last week and I thought he was poor again today.

I couldn't care about the OG but he looks slow. I like my CBs to be physically dominant. Faster than the CF. Stronger than the CF. Bigger than the CF. For all his qualities...are CFs worried about facing Martinez? Do they view him like they viewed peak Terry, Ferdinand, van Dijk, Ramos, Vidic etc...? I'm not sure...I think they fancy if they can commit him, they can expose him

If Maguire or Lindelof had done that, would you be as forgiving?
Had they played the rest of the match like Martinez yes. There were several instances of him covering and snuffing out chances. You've got people here acting like he wasn't our best cb all last year and he's some scrub. Typical caf though I guess

I have big doubts about him defensively. I actually prefer Shaw at CB.

Why he was fine today

He made a bad contribution for both goals and his pace is a problem when trying to be a high-pressing team.

There was one moment when he kept retreating because he didn't trust his pace which kept Son onside on the counter. He got lucky he wasn't picked.

Working his way back to match sharpness. However he and Varane have been talked about as one of the best partnerships in the game, and while they often looked the part the numbers didn't back those boasts up.

Had they played the rest of the match like Martinez yes. There were several instances of him covering and snuffing out chances. You've got people here acting like he wasn't our best cb all last year and he's some scrub. Typical caf though I guess

Really though....because I felt this place massively gave him the benefit of the doubt last season? Did he not play in the 0-4 vs Brentford? Did he not play in the 3-6 vs City? Did he not play in the 0-7 vs Liverpool?

There's definitely things I like about him. He's our best CB on the ball by a mile. He's committed. He's aggressive. I just think we should be objective. I don't think he was very good today and I don't think he was very good last week either. Lest we forget, he wasn't a regular starter for Argentina. Kept out of the starting XI by a 35yo Otamendi and Romero

His lack of pace is concerning. He was present in every single one of our big thrashings last season, he was hooked at HT last week and I thought he was poor again today.

I couldn't care about the OG but he looks slow. I like my CBs to be physically dominant. Faster than the CF. Stronger than the CF. Bigger than the CF. For all his qualities...are CFs worried about facing Martinez? Do they view him like they viewed peak Terry, Ferdinand, van Dijk, Ramos, Vidic etc...? I'm not sure...I think they fancy if they can commit him, they can expose him

He was also present in pretty much the majority of our good performances defensively and offensively, where he was a major contributing factor on an individual level. I don't want to be offensive mate but it seems like you are imaging the mistakes. This is like last season where people thought he was getting beat for pace or beat in the air before or when it never happened.

Is he Vidic, Rio or Van Dijk? Of course not and yes he would be a better player if he had those qualities. Has he been exposed the way you're saying he has? No. Think you need to watch the game again and point out where he was actually poor.

He made a bad contribution for both goals and his pace is a problem when trying to be a high-pressing team.

There was one moment when he kept retreating because he didn't trust his pace which kept Son onside on the counter. He got lucky he wasn't picked.

Actually I think it was a miscommunication and probably more on Varane's responsibility. Varane went to make a tackle/block and then held a high line, leaving Son without looking back or knowing where his centre back was. Also Son was near the touchline, whilst Martinez was in the middle. It was an odd moment though.

Last edited:

At times he looked the best in the league last year this is a massive knee jerk

He was fine, he is more active than others at times so gets exposed more, but nothing to worry about.

Bollocks, he did the right thing retreating against son, almost any defender would

I have big doubts about him defensively. I actually prefer Shaw at CB.

Same - Shaw’s too naturally bulky to play fullback in his late twenties, but an elite footballer. Martinez a lot slighter, so could take up the left back role full time. Shaw permanently at centreback is the solution to get the best out of both players while neutralising their weaknesses.

At times he looked the best in the league last year this is a massive knee jerk

Did he though? Or did we go along with that because he was better than Maguire? I'm not convinced by him or Varane to be honest. I don't see that physical dominance I see from the top CBs over the years.

We conceded 28 in 9 games away from home vs the top 9 last season. We've already conceded 2 this season vs a poor Spurs side. I think it's fair to ask some questions

Same - Shaw’s too naturally bulky to play fullback in his late twenties, but an elite footballer. Martinez a lot slighter, so could take up the left back role full time. Shaw permanently at centreback is the solution to get the best out of both players while neutralising their weaknesses.

No, Martinez is far too slow to play LB, would be Blind again.

Did he though? Or did we go along with that because he was better than Maguire? I'm not convinced by him or Varane to be honest. I don't see that physical dominance I see from the top CBs over the years.

We conceded 28 in 9 games away from home vs the top 9 last season. We've already conceded 2 this season vs a poor Spurs side. I think it's fair to ask some questions
We had the most clean sheets as well last year , I think it’s fair everyone can see the issue is the midfield offering zero protection

Bunch of knee jerk reactions in here. He is coming back from an injury and wasn't even bad today, aside from the OG.

Didn't think he was bad first half at all but it's not been a great start to the season from him. Not really seeing those lovely direct passes into feet he did all last season either.

The own goal was a wild swipe and Bailly-esque, really poor.

Thought he was fine other than that. Lack of protection from midfield and attack was our biggest issue as usual.

Bunch of knee jerk reactions in here. He is coming back from an injury and wasn't even bad today, aside from the OG.
Mental, lots underperformed but the back 4 have zero protection at the minute, probably going to make the odd bad choice and look a bit knackered when it’s 7 vs 4 for 99 minutes

We had the most clean sheets as well last year , I think it’s fair everyone can see the issue is the midfield offering zero protection

Yeah that's part of it for sure but even the worst teams don't get drubbed for 6 or 7 nowadays.

My point is simply this - Martinez got the benefit of the doubt last season, this season I'm expecting more than I've seen in the first two games

The own goal was a wild swipe and Bailly-esque, really poor.

Thought he was fine other than that. Lack of protection from midfield and attack was our biggest issue as usual.

People highlighted the lack of midfield protection for Lindelof and Maguire, yet they weren't allowed to use that excuse

Yeah that's part of it for sure but even the worst teams don't get drubbed for 6 or 7 nowadays.

My point is simply this - Martinez got the benefit of the doubt last season, this season I'm expecting more than I've seen in the first two games
we should sell him before the windows shut then eh ? 2 games rubbish get rid , mount too and Antony see if we can shift them on

He was great last year. Awful today. That simple.

Martinez got the benefit of being class last year
He didn’t do anything wrong today, no defence looks good when they have wave after wave of midfielders running at them with no protection

Was he bad today? Even the OG I don't see how you can let the ball run there, you gotta do something.

Was he bad today? Even the OG I don't see how you can let the ball run there, you gotta do something.
Varane and martinez = maguire and lindeloff now apparently
This place post match is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.