g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Lisandro Martinez image 6

Lisandro Martinez Argentina flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Red Rash

So good to have this back in the side, genuinely one of our best signings ever.

No offence meant as I love Licha as a player but this is a huge hyperbole.

He has only been with the club for a season and even though I think and hope he will be a legend for us, it's way to early to think about comparing him to the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, Evra, Schmeichel, Keane, Cantona, Rio, VDS.... The list could go on and on.

padzilla

Hipster
Hopefully him and Varane can stay fit for long periods this coming season as the drop off when they weren't available was noticeable.

Bondi77

Hopefully him and Varane can stay fit for long periods this coming season as the drop off when they weren't available was noticeable.
I hope so too but recent history tells me that it will be short odds that Varane will not last more than four games without being out with some type of injury and Harry or Victor will be called up.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I forget, was it ACL or Achilles that ruled him out last season?

FerociousCorgis

I hope so too but recent history tells me that it will be short odds that Varane will not last more than four games without being out with some type of injury and Harry or Victor will be called up.
Hopefully just lindelof. He actually looked good. Personally I thought Shaw shouldn't be counted as a potential rotation cb this next year with how much we lose going forward at lb without him. If we seriously don't sell all our fecking deadwood at the back to bring in a cb option that eth can use it will cost us this next season.

Bondi77

Hopefully just lindelof. He actually looked good. Personally I thought Shaw shouldn't be counted as a potential rotation cb this next year with how much we lose going forward at lb without him. If we seriously don't sell all our fecking deadwood at the back to bring in a cb option that eth can use it will cost us this next season.
Luke or Licha will not play in the RCB role but they are easily the best in the LCB position. I thought Luke was as good as if not better than Licha when he came in for him but you are right in that no one at the club gets near Luke as our LB.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, I agree about Shaw. While he's a handy option at LCB, it takes too much away from our attacking threat at LB if we go with Malacia or Dalot there.

Obviously there's times when Shaw won't be available - rested / injured - and we do have to go with those. But when he is in the team, we really need to be benefitting from him playing at LB as he's by some distance our best option there.

Chicharo

So glad the guy's back.
Love his energy. Love that he picked a quarrel with Odegaard in the first half. Proper winning mentality that we need and have lacked for some time (bar few players)

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s a real leader. Gets lauded for his warrior like, leadership mentality. And he’s obviously tough as nails. But really, his true value is his exceptional quality with and without the ball. He reads the game really well, meaning he wins the ball high up the pitch all the time. He has a fabulous timing of the tackle. He also galvanised those around him. But what I love most about him is his passing ability out from the back. It’s really as good as it gets from a CB. All four of our starting defenders AWB, Varane, Martínez and Shaw are just really good at the defending side of the game. Martinez and Shaw also both happen to be technically superb too.

Those 4 staying fit are really going to be the cornerstone of our campaign. And I love the fact we’ve now got Onana behind them.

SAFMUTD

Future captain 100% got the right attitude, temperament, aggressiveness and talent.

Lovely lovely player, rivals must hate him and that makes it even better.

M4YON

Zero fecks given against Saka yesterday, can't believe he was carded for this. But we just look a completely different side with him in the team.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Twitter gone mad about this, it's embarrassing, Arsenal fans will never change.

Literally don't see a lot wrong with that?

mu4c_20le

To be fair, most of them were forced to watch the illegal rivers playing the MUTV stream.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Twitter gone mad about this, it's embarrassing, Arsenal fans will never change.

Literally don't see a lot wrong with that?
Yeah, it wasn't some leg breaking tackle, at worst it was mistimed but from the angle it looks like he might have got the ball (not completely sure about that).

Arsenal should be embarrassed for the tactical fouling in the friendly game, started from first min. Timber was only seen when he was fouling players, then so many tactical fouls. It's not like they were easy with their tackles.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Hes abolsuetly class. The good news is he’s come straight back in after his injury and looks back to his imperious best again. Just such a massive difference maker in our side.

TrustInJanuzaj

Really good on the ball but he hasn't looked good defensively. Really rash and missing tackles.
Agreed this game. Just looks a slight half yard off the pace which is unusual for him. Hopefully it’s just pre-season rust and he will shake that by the start of the season. As you said though, still brilliant on the ball.

flameinthesun

Agreed this game. Just looks a slight half yard off the pace which is unusual for him. Hopefully it’s just pre-season rust and he will shake that by the start of the season. As you said though, still brilliant on the ball.
Brilliant on the ball and good defensively but when you see how much of a beast the likes of rudiger and militao are as well as other top defenders, I do wonder if we can win a league/champs league with Martinez at the back. I have a feeling that as good as he is on the ball that he is only good enough to get a team in Europe but not quite the caliber to win Europe. Hope I'm proved wrong.

TrustInJanuzaj

Brilliant on the ball and good defensively but when you see how much of a beast the likes of rudiger and militao are as well as other top defenders, I do wonder if we can win a league/champs league with Martinez at the back. I have a feeling that as good as he is on the ball that he is only good enough to get a team in Europe but not quite the caliber to win Europe. Hope I'm proved wrong.
Nah don’t agree. He is better than the likes of Alaba, Varane is the weaker link if we are looking to upgrade. I think Martinez is world class.

Kostov

Rudiger is a clown but Militao is an absolute beast, Real have replaced Varane with ease.

flameinthesun

Nah don’t agree. He is better than the likes of Alaba, Varane is the weaker link if we are looking to upgrade. I think Martinez is world class.
I get that but Alaba in his prime (albeit at left back during that time) was quicker, stronger and more dynamic whilst being as good a defender and technically as a good. From a technical point I definitely agree Varane is the weaker link (he's our weakest defender technically) but I still rate Varane as a better pure defender than Martinez. But I think my point is I look at that whole back four and with the exception of maybe Shaw...I just think it falls short of a title/champs league winning team.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Rudiger..?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I get that but Alaba in his prime (albeit at left back during that time) was quicker, stronger and more dynamic whilst being as good a defender and technically as a good. From a technical point I definitely agree Varane is the weaker link (he's our weakest defender technically) but I still rate Varane as a better pure defender than Martinez. But I think my point is I look at that whole back four and with the exception of maybe Shaw...I just think it falls short of a title/champs league winning team.
:lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

I'd agree with this. Varane for his plaudits is a bit iffy on the ball for me at times.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He's Just coming off a long lay off with injury he'll get back to his best by playing more games.

The friendly games was set to get our boys back to their best before the real deal comes in August...

I won't worry about Martinez he's a tough lad he'll be ready for the season.

RuudTom83

Love him!

Bellingham was acting like billy big bollocks all night, so Licha put one on him. Great stuff.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Defending aside, we're really dependent on his ability on the ball.

evil_geko

How can you say all this after watching last season? He is most consistent defender in the Premier league.