Music Linkin Park - Top 5

Huh? Bennington was almost flawless live, show some atrocious clips. They were never iffy live as a whole either.

Live in Texas recording is amazing. However, LP had some iffy concerts. Actually was on the one where Chester seemed to be indisposed and Mike needed to run the whole show. Notwithstanding the foregoing, it was still a great night.

She sounds good on the new video, but lacklustre in the live show. Her being close friends with Danny Masterson and the Scientology stuff is probably not what you want when trying to replace Chester. Dont think that was a wise choice

I really like her voice, she seems to carry this tone needed in neo metal.. I don't know how to explain it.

Surely the band and the new chick will come out and distance themselves from Scientology and the Danny Masterson thing? Or maybe she has converted the lot of them and they'll rebrand as L Ron Park

I think she sounds really good on the majority of songs (that I care about anyways). Problematic history aside, I think they picked a good singer.

Loved this band during the Hybrid Theory and Meteora eras but as soon as Minutes to Midnight dropped I wasn't really interested anymore. Still think particularly Meteora is a really good record. Never saw then live unfortunately.

Last edited:
TIL that Linkin Park fans are weirdly precious for what must mainly be men over 40.

This new singer won’t have any effect on their existing music, only live performances. So is not an impediment to continuing to enjoy their music. And in the version of reality where the original lineup are still touring there’s every chance the singer is middle aged, tired and not a patch on his former self as a vocalist. Plus if the choice really bothers you just don’t watch them live. They’re not the same band you fell in love with regardless. And you’ll save a fecking fortune with all this surge pricing bollox that 90s band reunions are using.

TIL that Linkin Park fans are weirdly precious for what must mainly be men over 40.

This new singer won’t have any effect on their existing music, only live performances. So is not an impediment to continuing to enjoy their music. And in the version of reality where the original lineup are still touring there’s every chance the singer is middle aged, tired and not a patch on his former self as a vocalist. Plus if the choice really bothers you just don’t watch them live. They’re not the same band you fell in love with regardless. And you’ll save a fecking fortune with all this surge pricing bollox that 90s band reunions are using.
Yep, good points.

Saying that would there be a chance that they headline Download festival (which I’ve always wanted to attend)? Which might end up tempting me!

The video link above is quite poor live. yes the female singer is out of tune but so is the rapper dude when he sings towards the end and the guitars are a little flat too. Its very ropey but Linkin Park were always quite iffy live.
But there's not a singer/band who don't have a video or clip of them this poor or even much worse live on the internet. Musicians have good nights and bad nights and its not always under their control. Sometimes they can't hear correctly due to bad mixes in monitors, overly distorted, etc.. and singers can have vocal fatigue maybe from over rehearsal.

There's atrocious clips of Chester out there too.

She'll be fine, she's got energy can approximate the grit needed when its needed and pitch is not nearly as important live as one would think. When you're at a gig and the volume is deafening its not nearly as noticeable.
I agree with this really and have heard lots of bands sounding iffy live.
It was just disappointing hearing it and then when pointing it out being told she was amazing. She really wasn’t amazing. Hopefully she settles into it a lot more and maybe their newer songs will suit her a lot better

You're on a football forum. How have you just realised that men over 40 can be weirdly precious about the things they're fans of

You're on a football forum. How have you just realised that men over 40 can be weirdly precious about the things they're fans of

:lol: fair

Although I get precious about football but don’t really care at all about bands I fell in love with 30 years ago. What made them special at that time is long gone. Don’t really care what they do now. And I say this as someone who went to see Pearl Jam recently. It was great fun but they’re old men now. Couldn’t give a toss if the lineup changed or if their latest album is crap.

Getting back to the football analogy, United being such a ball ache to watch under ETH doesn’t make me retrospectively enjoy our treble under Fergie any less!

:lol: fair

Although I get precious about football but don’t really care at all about bands I fell in love with 30 years ago. What made them special at that time is long gone. Don’t really care what they do now. And I say this as someone who went to see Pearl Jam recently. It was great fun but they’re old men now. Couldn’t give a toss if the lineup changed or if their latest album is crap.

Getting back to the football analogy, United being such a ball ache to watch under ETH doesn’t make me retrospectively enjoy our treble under Fergie any less!
That could be part of the reason people get precious about it. It's just another reminder we're getting older and the things we used to love when we were younger are very different now

That could be part of the reason people get precious about it. It's just another reminder we're getting older and the things we used to love when we were younger are very different now

Also fair. But I think it’s a little unhealthy to remain so emotionally invested in stuff that really belongs to your past. Same with Star Wars fans remaining incredibly passionate, all the way into their 40s and 50s, about something that was meant to be enjoyed by them as children.

And I appreciate the irony of slagging off nostalgia as a Manchester United fan :(

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/linkin-emily-armstrong-criticism-danny-masterson-1236135990/

“Hi, I’m Emily, I’m new to so many of you, and I wanted to clear the air about something that happened a while back.

Several years ago, I was asked to support someone I considered a friend at a court appearance, and went to one early hearing as an observer. Soon after, I realized I shouldn’t have. I always try to see the good in people, and I misjudged him. I have never spoken with him since. Unimaginable details emerged and he was later found guilty.

To say it as clearly as possible: I do not condone abuse or violence against women, and I empathize with the victims of these crimes."

Obviously it's all a bunch of Scientology nonsense. I wouldn't even be surprised if she was somewhat forced to show support by them weirdos. But that's just guesswork.

Last edited:
"Linkin Park hiring a woman is woke", followed by "actually there are a lot of people on the internet who agree with me", ending with the complaint that "people keep bringing politics into things".

I refuse to believe that isn't someone deliberately trying to seem stupid.

Meanwhile, hiring someone who openly supported Danny Masterson actually sucks and is the only problem with this. Otherwise it's just a case of them trying to keep the band going, which is understandable.
Yep, that series of posts is so incredibly dumb it has to be a wum, right?

I think she sounds really good on the majority of songs (that I care about anyways). Problematic history aside, I think they picked a good singer.

Loved this band during the Hybrid Theory and Meteora eras but as soon as Minutes to Midnight dropped I wasn't really interested anymore. Still think particularly Meteora is a really good record. Never saw then live unfortunately.

They definitely changed with Minutes to Midnight, but on subsequent listens I actually think some of their best stuff (for me) is from after that style change. A few examples:

Minutes to Midnight:

A Thousand Suns:

Living Things:

The Hunting Party:

And then I guess I never listened to their most recent album, so I couldn't say.

I actually feel the same way about Sum 41 (who have heavier credentials than many think. Well, they're not Slayer, but you know).

They definitely changed with Minutes to Midnight, but on subsequent listens I actually think some of their best stuff (for me) is from after that style change. A few examples:

Minutes to Midnight:

A Thousand Suns:

Living Things:

The Hunting Party:

And then I guess I never listened to their most recent album, so I couldn't say.

I actually feel the same way about Sum 41 (who have heavier credentials than many think. Well, they're not Slayer, but you know).

I agree. I was skeptical about Minutes to Midnight. I was probably stuck on how I wanted Linkin Park to sound. But as I got older it really matured on me. Nothing compares to the nostalgia and impact of Hybrid Theory but Minutes to is just so timeless and solid in sound.

I must however admit that Living Things and A Thousand Suns never really went in on me. The Hunting Party is pretty good and I really like One More Light.

It's TikTok brainrot
I genuinely don’t get it! Lots of female singers in this genre of music, it makes perfect sense as well with the previous singer being Male to take it in a new direction.

Fine you might not think she’s a good singer (listened to the full concert earlier and thought she was good), but even if true why does having a female singer who isn’t even very good make it ‘woke’?

It’s fecking exhausting these days, imagine being a woman and getting an opportunity to sing for an iconic band and you get dumbasses online calling it ‘woke’?

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/linkin-emily-armstrong-criticism-danny-masterson-1236135990/

“Hi, I’m Emily, I’m new to so many of you, and I wanted to clear the air about something that happened a while back.

Several years ago, I was asked to support someone I considered a friend at a court appearance, and went to one early hearing as an observer. Soon after, I realized I shouldn’t have. I always try to see the good in people, and I misjudged him. I have never spoken with him since. Unimaginable details emerged and he was later found guilty.

To say it as clearly as possible: I do not condone abuse or violence against women, and I empathize with the victims of these crimes."

Obviously it's all a bunch of Scientology nonsense. I wouldn't even be surprised if she was somewhat forced to show support by them weirdos. But that's just guesswork.
Statement is a lie. The early hearings started in 2021. She was seen there last year still.
No apology there, no mention of any names. It's a non statement that still manages to lie. Classic scientology deflection.

Ironic that a band that lost its iconic singer to depression gets a new singer that doesn't believe depression exists.

Live in Texas recording is amazing. However, LP had some iffy concerts. Actually was on the one where Chester seemed to be indisposed and Mike needed to run the whole show. Notwithstanding the foregoing, it was still a great night.

Well yeah, if you're unwell and trying to sing/scream to that insane standard, he's going to struggle. I'd say he was as consistent live as it gets though, and reckon Emily Armstrong trying to get through an entire tour singing those songs off the first two albums particularly will be incredibly testing.

Last edited:
Huh? Bennington was almost flawless live, show some atrocious clips. They were never iffy live as a whole either.

He's literally flat multiple times in just skimming through that video. Still quite good mind.

Literally absolutely brutal right here.

It happens, Chester is not anymore immune to it than most great singers. Doesn't make him bad, in fact he's still great. There's a thousand reasons why it happens but it does. He's not immune to it, Cornell, Dickinson, Russell Allen etc.. its happens them all.

I agree with this really and have heard lots of bands sounding iffy live.
It was just disappointing hearing it and then when pointing it out being told she was amazing. She really wasn’t amazing. Hopefully she settles into it a lot more and maybe their newer songs will suit her a lot better
Fair, I think she brought a tone of energy and did a decent job imitating Chesters vibe and tone, but she was indeed pitchy. My think with that kinda stuff though is it comes through a lot more noticeable on the recording.

Personally I'd rather see someone bring the energy and miss the notes than lack energy so they deliver a perfect pitch performance so I don't mind listening to live stuff where singers are iffy. Its different if they go full Bobby Kimball or whatever but I think she did well considering.

He's literally flat multiple times in just skimming through that video. Still quite good mind.

It happens, Chester is not anymore immune to it than most great singers. Doesn't make him bad, in fact he's still great. There's a thousand reasons why it happens but it does. He's not immune to it, Cornell, Dickinson, Russell Allen etc.. its happens them all.

I wouldn't call the second clip brutal, 90% of vocalists in rock today wouldn't even attempt that vocal, never mind do as good a job. Even Cornell on his his best day would find it difficult to pull off. He sounds ill there, mind you.

Former (failed) vocalist here. Although I did get told to go feck myself by the singer from Twin Atlantic after calling him a pompous twat...

9 times out of 10 problems like this are shite sound engineering - poor monitor levels - which is rare because sound engineers are generally shit hot. So either the guy fell asleep at the desk or they didn't rehearse enough on that stage. Or poor communication between Chester and the engineer.

It's not like Chester is all over the place tonally. To be that consistently flat by about a quarter tone throughout the entire chorus makes it sound like he is struggling to hear either the guitar or his own voice. It's the same as the new live video with the new vocalist as well. The fact that Shinoda has the same issue confirms this argument that I've pulled out of my arse.

Not a big fan of Linkin Park, especially stuff after Meteora. The live clips posted previously sound spectacular though, had no idea Chester was so good live

Former (failed) vocalist here. Although I did get told to go feck myself by the singer from Twin Atlantic after calling him a pompous twat...

9 times out of 10 problems like this are shite sound engineering - poor monitor levels - which is rare because sound engineers are generally shit hot. So either the guy fell asleep at the desk or they didn't rehearse enough on that stage. Or poor communication between Chester and the engineer.

It's not like Chester is all over the place tonally. To be that consistently flat by about a quarter tone throughout the entire chorus makes it sound like he is struggling to hear either the guitar or his own voice. It's the same as the new live video with the new vocalist as well. The fact that Shinoda has the same issue confirms this argument that I've pulled out of my arse.

Absolutely, my point is there's many reasons it can happen even top level singers so I'm willing to give the girl a pass too.

I do not think that I liked the new singer, but then I do not think that I would have liked anyone, for me Chester was Linkin Park and the group died with him.

Not a big fan of Linkin Park, especially stuff after Meteora. The live clips posted previously sound spectacular though, had no idea Chester was so good live
I'm with you on this one. I never really got into any album after Meteora but there were a bunch of good songs scattered around the other albums. Bleed It Out for me was the best thing they did post Meteora.