Music Linkin Park - Top 5

Just listened to Crawling and Papercut... Not a fan at all. She seemed out of tune massively.

But sounds better on the new song so maybe things will not be too horrific.

However, I didn't like the new song so maybe I'll just skip it entirely.

The old songs still exist.

I just assume anyone who uses the word woke is a sexist racist thick as mince moron, and usually that's the case.

As for this decision, to me it would have been more disrespectful if they'd gone with some bloke doing a like for like impression of Chester.

The song is eh but the live stream was good, ropey start but I actually enjoyed what she brought to the songs.

It's a shame she apparently attended the court case of a rapist to support him, and is seemingly involved with Scientology. So my interest has already been well and truly dampened.

You know the lead singer is dead, right? He wasn't replaced.

You're also telling on yourself by claiming something is woke just because it involves a woman.

Obviously... They still had to get a new singer.

I am not the only one that thinks this, there are plenty of people all over the internet that see it the same.

Hearing this and her voice out of tune and all over the place before trying to scream especially around the minute mark.

Bleed it out at the end was a bit better but that was only screaming and not having to try to sing in tune.
Maybe she’ll get better. I’m not even exaggerating when saying I was shocked how bad she was tbh to be chosen as the singer.

I was shocked by how good she was. These are incredibly hard songs to perform live, there will always be imperfections, but she does them exceptionally well.

Anyone using the word ‘woke’ to describe something has lost the argument before it’s even started. Such a brain dead word promoted by the far right to describe stuff they don’t like.

Woke, PC, whatever you want to call it. It has nothing to do with the far right, people always have to bring politics into it :lol:

I was shocked by how good she was. These are incredibly hard songs to perform live, there will always be imperfections, but she does them exceptionally well.

Indeed. And to be honest, I've heard some live clips from Chester that don't sound so good either.

So emotional to have them back making music again.

Very excited for Emily as the lead vocalist, too. I understand why people are apprehensive based on that initial performance of the LP hits - her voice cracked multiple times, and her screaming was out of tune on several occasions. But that's on Shinoda and co for saying 'in Chester's place, you guys', and then clearly having Emily actually try and do that job. Chester was unique, his voice and performances were unique, and anyone trying to replace it will fall short. Emily was set up to fail, kudos for taking on all that pressure on. I hope the tour features the new songs more than the old ones - so she's not consistently set up to fail, stadium after stadium.

What I'm excited about is The Emptiness Machine. The new song had so many elements of old LP - the video distortions, Shinoda's chorus, the guitar, the drums. Despite Emily stepping in for Chester, you could tell it was still very much a Linkin Park song - and that's about all I expect post-Chester. Give me more music that reminds us of who you are. And in the process, maybe Emily can start doing things even Chester couldn't given her own unique vocals, and we'll slowly grow into this new identity. Once in a while, I'd love to hear them do their old songs, but I'm very much at peace knowing that it'll never be as good as the original - it cannot.

Her scientology background is icky for me - but then I remember I didn't know jack shit about any of the original band when I was loving their music. I don't care.

I just assume anyone who uses the word woke is a sexist racist thick as mince moron, and usually that's the case.

That is just ignorance in itself.

There are plenty of instances in modern society where things are pushed with an agenda just to try and force 'equality', when the forcing of equality is actually inequality, because things are chosen based on whether you fit into the category of the minority race or gender in that area, instead of chosen based on skill, qualifications etc.

Agreed, there were bits where Emily was astonishingly close to Chester. She's got most of that vocal inventory, what else can one expect from someone not Chester?

I don’t disagree they’re hard. But she was out of tune loads. Some of it was really bad. Maybe nerves.

I’m glad they’ve gone with a female singer, I just wish I didn’t feel disappointed after hearing it

Agreed, there were bits where Emily was astonishingly close to Chester. She's got most of that vocal inventory, what else can one expect from someone not Chester?
Considering what caused his trauma and pain, I'd at least expect not hiring someone who grew up in (and still is a proud member of) a cult and defends a rapist, to take his place.

It'll be interesting the PR that comes after this.

Her scientology background is icky for me - but then I remember I didn't know jack shit about any of the original band when I was loving their music. I don't care.
You should perhaps look into it more. And if you still don't care, fair enough.

But the above still heavily stands.

Replacing the lead singer of a band that has been going for years with a woman is definitely a woke decision. She sounds like someone doing karaoke. She just doesn't have a voice that suits the bands style of music. You can think it is satire all you want but there are fans of the band all over the internet that think the same.

It isn't when you consider who the original vocalist was, though.

Chester had a unique set of skills that male vocalists typically don't have. I am no singer or audio engineer so my terms could be off, but to my knowledge he could jump between mixed voice and belting with distortion, growling, rasping, screaming, even whining (Given Up, Crawling) to delicate enduring tones (Leave Out All The Rest, My December) to all in the same song (Papercut) - all with incredible lung capacity and control. So if you really want to replace Chester in Linkin Park and have them perform Chester's bits in old songs, you need a vocalist who has similar skills as well.

I've been interested in covers/tribute bands for a while because I kept wondering if they'd get a replacement eventually, and the closest I've found is this (Linkin Park Tribute Band), where the lead vocalist even looks like Chester:

But that idea itself is just wrong - you can't find the closest thing to Chester, put him in the band, and expect to go on about life as usual. He is not Chester, the man (not the vocalist), can't be replaced. If you'd picked up this singer, he will spend his whole career being the cheap ripoff, and the band itself will be trying to artificially recreate old memories. Like finding a girl who reminds you most of your ex after your breakup - you're feeding nostalgia without the ability to move on.

Emily was covering a pretty astonishing portion of Chester's range in that performance, failing at some predictable places. But more importantly, she brings a whole new set of skills to the table (Emptiness Machine, and Lost showed that), and is a clean signal that they're not trying to replace, they're moving on. I'm sure there must interpersonal and professional considerations why they picked her too (personality, working style, dynamics, pay demands).

Or maybe you can continue to deny all of these maybes and believe in your own maybe - that she was picked only because she was a woman.

I'll be honest, I'm hesitant to do that because I'm quite certain that I will not enjoy their music anymore in the aftermath. Let me plead ignorance till From Zero, at least.

Considering what caused his trauma and pain, I'd at least expect not hiring someone who grew up in (and still is a proud member of) a cult and defends a rapist, to take his place.

Knowing this bit may already have soured things, though.

If I, a white conservative straight non-transgender right-handed able bodied Christian male, applied to be in Linkin Bizkit, they would say no because I'm not a minority disabled transgender left handed pronoun using atheist.

That's the real injustice

I'll be honest, I'm hesitant to do that because I'm quite certain that I will not enjoy their music anymore in the aftermath. Let me plead ignorance till From Zero, at least.
Nah, it's not about that mate. I can still like their songs (admittedly not that I'm any kind of huge fan, but I appreciate plenty of it), whilst wondering what the feck they are thinking.

I just wonder if they have given it any thought. I mean, considering what ended up being the beginning and end of Chester? Surely they could have found someone who couldn't give less of a shit in the grand scheme of things.

It just seems so odd and, at best, ill considered.

No qualms with them moving on but this doesn't seem like the best choice considering their controversies.

Hearing this and her voice out of tune and all over the place before trying to scream especially around the minute mark.

Bleed it out at the end was a bit better but that was only screaming and not having to try to sing in tune.
Maybe she’ll get better. I’m not even exaggerating when saying I was shocked how bad she was tbh to be chosen as the singer.

I'm not expert on Linkin Park, can barely stand them TBH, but listening to that "scream" it sounds a lot like an attempt to try and impersonate the original vocalist's line. I'm not sure if this is what singing coaches would call "vocal fry" (the vibration effect)? But that edge on the voice falls flat and it sounds like she's straining to reach the note with it. It certainly doesn't sound good for her vocal chords.

I imagine it's probably very difficult to fill the shoes of a previous singer, especially if they passed away. But I would have thought just doing it your way would be best, rather than try to do something that probably is a bit out of your reach. Or maybe that was just a bad night for her.

I've only briefly read into this but if she actually is a rape apologist as has been said this seems an insane decision.

I was a huge fan of Linkin Park growing up and their first few albums meant so much to me, partly because of Chester's story. Replacing him with someone who goes to bat for a rapist is incredibly distasteful

Nah, it's not about that mate. I can still like their songs (admittedly not that I'm any kind of huge fan, but I appreciate plenty of it), whilst wondering what the feck they are thinking.

I just wonder if they have given it any thought. I mean, considering what ended up being the beginning and end of Chester? Surely they could have found someone who couldn't give less of a shit in the grand scheme of things.

It just seems so odd and, at best, ill considered.

Went down the rabbit hole, and it's not a good look.

https://tonyortega.org/2020/09/19/r...ping-will-get-his-criminal-charges-dismissed/

She seems to have been at Masterson's trial to show support for her fellow scientologist. He was later convicted on two counts of rape.

https://www.thecut.com/article/everything-to-know-about-the-danny-masterson-rape-trial.html

I'm now curious about what she has to say about it all.

There are plenty of instances in modern society where things are pushed with an agenda just to try and force 'equality', when the forcing of equality is actually inequality, because things are chosen based on whether you fit into the category of the minority race or gender in that area, instead of chosen based on skill, qualifications etc.
Aside from the many other points about how stupid this is, the problem is people wheel it out the instant they see something they dislike. How do you know they didn’t go through multiple singers before reaching this conclusion? Do you have any insight whatsoever into how this process happened? You’ve just seen a woman and called it woke because you assume the thing you dislike happened with zero proof. Basing your opinions on conclusions you’ve jumped to will never end well.

And also yes. Woke is a word that originated in black culture to mean to be aware of injustices in the world and it’s been bastardised by the right and used to describe literally anything they don’t like that isn’t straight white and male. So yeah it’s a word that people associate with fecking dumbasses.

I'm confused by the point you're trying to make here. Maybe you are too.

What are you saying? That there's a lack of female lead singers in the music industry and that this is an attempt to "force equality"? I mean, they had a 50% chance of recruiting the correct gender in your mind, but they fecked it up and it means they've gone woke?

I think you're just throwing words like woke around without understanding the meaning tbh. I don't like it, therefore it's woke. I listened to the clip of her above and it sounded shite, sure. But woke?

Terrible decision to move to a female vocalist, woke culture gone mad.
I think the fact that they didn't want to seem like they're replacing Chester is why they went in a completely different direction. It would have been total disrespect if they had someone who tried to mimic Chester. Going with a female is a completely new sound and Chester's legacy will remain authentic and untouched without them trying to recreate his unique sound.

So you think Linkin Park deliberately picked a woman to promote gender equity in music? What makes you think that's their thinking? It's impossible that they just liked her musicianship?

"Linkin Park hiring a woman is woke", followed by "actually there are a lot of people on the internet who agree with me", ending with the complaint that "people keep bringing politics into things".

I refuse to believe that isn't someone deliberately trying to seem stupid.

Meanwhile, hiring someone who openly supported Danny Masterson actually sucks and is the only problem with this. Otherwise it's just a case of them trying to keep the band going, which is understandable.

"Linkin Park hiring a woman is woke", followed by "actually there are a lot of people on the internet who agree with me", ending with the complaint that "people keep bringing politics into things".

I refuse to believe that isn't someone deliberately trying to seem stupid.

Meanwhile, hiring someone who openly supported Danny Masterson actually sucks and is the only problem with this. Otherwise it's just a case of them trying to keep the band going, which is understandable.
Agreed. Though that problem is a massive one, especially considering Chester's life.

The only thing that could make this worse is if Shinoda now comes out and suggests he would be cool with this as he was always a fan of hers or so something.

I think the fact that they didn't want to seem like they're replacing Chester is why they went in a completely different direction. It would have been total disrespect if they had someone who tried to mimic Chester. Going with a female is a completely new sound and Chester's legacy will remain authentic and untouched without them trying to recreate his unique sound.
With all due respect, and you know I have plenty of time for you,...what?

They are playing the same arrangements, in the same key and she is attempting (with various results) the same vocal patterns. I'd argue the gender aspect of it all is utterly irrelevant and nothing to do with any kind of new sound/direction. If anything, that new song is even more derivative of themselves.

As for respect for Chester, read above. I'd suggest, given his life, having a cult controlled rape apologist step in is up there as among the most disrespectful of choices.

I love female vocalists in rock and metal bands. This time it's no different. Although in the new song she sounds better than when she's singing old songs. If I want to listen to the classics I'd choose the Chester version all day, every day. Nobody can match him in that regard. They're his songs. The only band I could think of that replaced old vocalist with a better one is DragonForce. And their audition spanned years.... Herman Li used to tweet a lot about it when I was a twitter andy.
This is the shit right here

Last edited:
Big fan of female singers in rock (Skillett comes to mind), hope they take me back to being 12 again!

The video link above is quite poor live. yes the female singer is out of tune but so is the rapper dude when he sings towards the end and the guitars are a little flat too. Its very ropey but Linkin Park were always quite iffy live.
But there's not a singer/band who don't have a video or clip of them this poor or even much worse live on the internet. Musicians have good nights and bad nights and its not always under their control. Sometimes they can't hear correctly due to bad mixes in monitors, overly distorted, etc.. and singers can have vocal fatigue maybe from over rehearsal.

There's atrocious clips of Chester out there too.

She'll be fine, she's got energy can approximate the grit needed when its needed and pitch is not nearly as important live as one would think. When you're at a gig and the volume is deafening its not nearly as noticeable.

Agreed. Though that problem is a massive one, especially considering Chester's life.

The only thing that could make this worse is if Shinoda now comes out and suggests he would be cool with this as he was always a fan of hers or so something.

With all due respect, and you know I have plenty of time for you,...what?

They are playing the same arrangements, in the same key and she is attempting (with various results) the same vocal patterns. I'd argue the gender aspect of it all is utterly irrelevant and nothing to do with any kind of new sound/direction. If anything, that new song is even more derivative of themselves.

As for respect for Chester, read above. I'd suggest, given his life, having a cult controlled rape apologist step in is up there as among the most disrespectful of choices.
Honestly I don't know much about her and I didn't listen to any of her songs. I'm not going to argue with you on this. I was just trying to think of a reason why they wanted a different sound.
I love Chester and I'm still upset that the concert my sister and I were planning to go to was canceled. When I started listening to them our little record shop used to have to order their CDs for me because nobody listened to that kind of music in my neck of the woods.

It's when woke and anti-woke collide. Dunno if they cancel each other out.

The video link above is quite poor live. yes the female singer is out of tune but so is the rapper dude when he sings towards the end and the guitars are a little flat too. Its very ropey but Linkin Park were always quite iffy live.
But there's not a singer/band who don't have a video or clip of them this poor or even much worse live on the internet. Musicians have good nights and bad nights and its not always under their control. Sometimes they can't hear correctly due to bad mixes in monitors, overly distorted, etc.. and singers can have vocal fatigue maybe from over rehearsal.

There's atrocious clips of Chester out there too.

She'll be fine, she's got energy can approximate the grit needed when its needed and pitch is not nearly as important live as one would think. When you're at a gig and the volume is deafening its not nearly as noticeable.

Huh? Bennington was almost flawless live, show some atrocious clips. They were never iffy live as a whole either.

Last edited:
Honestly, thought Emily was fantastic on the Emptiness Machine. She's ofcourse going to struggle on the older ones. Performing live for the very first time on some absolute classics, it's understandable that she would struggle. I would prefer to wait till their new album is out before coming out with knives.