Life after ETH — the next United manager

You would think so. Fans are filled with emotions especially after winning something so the board of directors should take decisions based on how the team look and not what happened in the FA cup final.

I personally was for keeping ETH but just because i was worried about the Southgate rumours :lol:
I agree. As a fan I thought he just about deserved another shot given the horrific injury list last season, and the fact he won two cups and got to another final showing he must have something about him. Perhaps the new management thought the same.

That was on the assumption that we would see something different following a pre-season and some player turnover.

What we've seen in three games pretty a carbon copy of the last season, same type of results, narrowly beat a team we should be better than, predictably lose late on to a team that are decent, and got absolutely destroyed by our rivals who are a good team.

The exact same issues that haunted us last season are present again and to me that is not acceptable at all.

We've improved our possession a bit but are still very open and vulnerable and are creating next to nothing to make that a risk worth taking.

Needs to be replaced as early as possible or our season will be over before it's even really started again.

Why would Thomas Frank want to come here? Tuchel I get, Silva too - obviously de Zerbi has a new job - McKenna isn't going anywhere this year. I think Silva would take the chance so it looks like him, Tuchel, or Southgate, simply from an availability point of view.

Why would Thomas Frank want to come here? Tuchel I get, Silva too - obviously de Zerbi has a new job - McKenna isn't going anywhere this year. I think Silva would take the chance so it looks like him, Tuchel, or Southgate, simply from an availability point of view.
Because United is twenty times bigger than Brentford. It's a giant step up and he has never managed a mammoth like us.

What Brentford manager would ever say no to us? :lol:

Why would Thomas Frank want to come to United?
Money for a start, ambition, I mean, its about as big of a job there is in football.
But also for Thomas Frank specifically, he would have nothing to lose from coming to United, its a win-win situation.
He could fail catastrophically and still get a job at a club like Brentford afterwards, based on how well he’s been punching above his weight with Brentford.

I’ve seen Emery mentioned a lot, now that’s a guy who would have absolutely zero reason to come to United.
He’s been excellent at good historic clubs but not the very top, like Valencia, Sevilla and now Aston Villa, that’s his niche.
He has a great thing going for him at Villa, fantastic team, fantastic stadium, paid well, they’ve made the CL for the first time in decades and they’re looking good this season as well.
I wouldn’t even consider going to United if I were Emery, but Thomas Frank? Come on.

Last edited:
I really fear us getting Southgate in.
It is and always has been lazy journalists forcing a link based on ashworth previously working with him in the England set up. Berrada, Wilcox and Ratcliffe will all have a say on the next manager.

I’ve seen Emery mentioned a lot, now that’s a guy who would have absolutely zero reason to come to United.
He’s been excellent at good historic clubs like Valencia, Seville and now Aston Villa, that’s his niche.
He has a great thing going for him at Villa, fantastic team, fantastic stadium, paid well, they’ve made the CL for the first time in decades and they’re looking good this season as well.
I wouldn’t even consider going to United if I were Emery, but Thomas Frank? Come on.
100%. I know Frank has a great relationship with the fans and only Pep has been with the team longer than him, but I'd be very surprised if he turned us down. Fully agree on Emery though - if I were him, I'd never leave Villa for us at the moment.

Why would the manager of Brentford want to come to one of the 3 biggest clubs in the world? Laughable comment.

It is and always has been lazy journalists forcing a link based on ashworth previously working with him in the England set up. Berrada, Wilcox and Ratcliffe will all have a say on the next manager.

Exactly. If Ashworth rated Southgate so highly how come he was never linked with the job at Newcastle?

Give it to Tuchel
Hopefully he can do something..
Who cares about legacy, playing style if you can somehow win the league every 3-4 years

People talking about young manager taking over. I’m all for it but how many of them have gone into a messy situation and fixed it? How many have that experience?

I agree. As a fan I thought he just about deserved another shot given the horrific injury list last season, and the fact he won two cups and got to another final showing he must have something about him. Perhaps the new management thought the same.

That was on the assumption that we would see something different following a pre-season and some player turnover.

What we've seen in three games pretty a carbon copy of the last season, same type of results, narrowly beat a team we should be better than, predictably lose late on to a team that are decent, and got absolutely destroyed by our rivals who are a good team.

The exact same issues that haunted us last season are present again and to me that is not acceptable at all.

We've improved our possession a bit but are still very open and vulnerable and are creating next to nothing to make that a risk worth taking.

Needs to be replaced as early as possible or our season will be over before it's even really started again.

Yes i agree mate.

It is very strange that such good manager sees the big glaring holes in the middle and refuses to be pragmatic and tighten up the hole at a cost of his "vision".

I mean even us fans can see it and we are not top managers for fecks sake :lol:

Tuchel gets my vote over inexperienced options like McKenna, Silva or Thomas Frank.

The only problem to fixed is on the field, Ineos will move more players next season and sign more potential stars for the future. We need a manager that has the tactical ability to use the players at his disposal. Obviously this is lacking from Ten Hag, he keeps asking for new players. Even if we give him a world class player, he doesn't know how to use him. I hope he prove me wrong but I don't expect anything from him.

Imagine seeing this old chestnut of a comparison still being mentioned in 2024…
Imagine the board listening to the fans back then, like some of you want the board to listen to you now. All I'm saying is give the guy a chance. Yes, last season wasn't good but there were mitigating circumstances. It's been 3 games. Didn't ETH say the team wasn't ready for the season? He was just being honest. He wasn't getting his excuses in early. 5 new players in the team that need time to bed in. Against Liverpool there was a few players making their starting debut. The RB had maybe 1 or 2 training sessions, if that, before being thrown in. I'm all for replacing the manager if we are seeing the same shit show after a 3 months.

No we should bring in a manager to build long term success and not be driven by a short term emotion like embarrassment or anger
No, we should by the players to have a team for long term success and not hope for every manager to be the new Messiah.
11 years should be enough to learn that lesson.

Tuchel just seems like he's cut from the same cloth as Mourinho and Conte. Would likely do quite well with us for the short term (which would probably just be something like 3rd and the Europa), then have a meltdown and row with the board.

Doesn't seem like the profile INEOS would want, given the age profile of our signings and 'walk to the right solution rather than run to the wrong one' ethos. Probably came to that conclusion after meeting with him over the summer as well.

If we're thinking long term and giving someone a chance to step up, Iraola would be my first choice. I think he looks fantastic at Bournemouth and stylistically fits very well with United. Losing Solanke, he's still managing to get very good performances out of the team and Evanilson looks a decent enough replacement.

On a personal level, he comes across as very decent guy and well spoken in interviews. Also not a complete bellend on the touchline.

Tuchel.

Hope SJR has another chat with him ….find some common ground.

Tuchel just seems like he's cut from the same cloth as Mourinho and Conte. Would likely do quite well with us for the short term (which would probably just be something like 3rd and the Europa), then have a meltdown and row with the board.

Doesn't seem like the profile INEOS would want, given the age profile of our signings and 'walk to the right solution rather than run to the wrong one' ethos. Probably came to that conclusion after meeting with him over the summer as well.

I hate Tuchel but I want him. What we need as soon as possible is stability. We don't have any.

Build from that after sociopathic Tuchel. He will inevitably fall out with everyone, yes, but in between we'll be stable. Success, even if being third and a trophy, is a good foundation. Laying on the ground - because that's where the philosopher Ten Hag has put us - is not a good place to start an experiment with some trendy guy.

The suggestion to let a newcomer take over is naive, if not suicidal. How would a manager that is doing nothing at Bournemouth fix us.

Also to suggest that Alonso and/or Simeone are probable candidates is just crazy. They are not.

Last edited:

I'll take a few good years with Tuchel and then find a new manager if that's the deal.
What's with the fixation on finding someone "long term", a few years is fine. If our new best in class structure is worth their reputation then changing managers should not be a problem.

Ruud will be the interim manager and will be supported by Rene Hake. Who comes next? I'm not sure.

But Ruud & Rene are there for a smooth transition.

I'll take a few good years with Tuchel and then find a new manager if that's the deal.
What's with the fixation on finding someone "long term", a few years is fine. If our new best in class structure is worth their reputation then changing managers should not be a problem.

We're in an era where most managers will flame out after a few years. Most but not all, such as Pep and Klopp. I'll take two seasons of success if it means replacing him for the third season, rather than muddling along with a failed manager for four seasons.

Tuchel and McKenna seemed to be the main two candidates in the summer. I'd have taken either in the summer but the latter has signed a new contract and felt like someone we had to move for in the off season for it to work.

I like Enrique but he doesn't feel like a particularly realistic option. Nagelsmann's head could potentially be turned by the right offer.

You're scratching around a bit after that - there's the obvious shout of Ruud van Nistelrooy as an interim but that's not necessarily where you'd set your ambitions. Iraola could be an exciting option but would be a pretty massive gamble at this stage of his career.

We need to do something though. This idea of being stuck in purgatory indefinitely because the current manager is shit and the next guy could be is lunacy. Make a change and see where we land, it can't be worse than the hell of the last 12 months.
It's wayyy too soon for Mckenna. He needs a higher profile job first. His next move will probably make his career. Villa would be a good job for him...

100%. I know Frank has a great relationship with the fans and only Pep has been with the team longer than him, but I'd be very surprised if he turned us down. Fully agree on Emery though - if I were him, I'd never leave Villa for us at the moment.
I'd go for Emery. I genuinely think he'd jump at the chance to come aswell. Working at United within a proper structure is very different to United with Woodward etc

Sir Jim goes full AI. Puts a robot at Carrington. Will be an upgrade. Just tweak to not make excuses and play the most effective football according to all matches ever played.

I thought Tuchel rejected us already.
I think with the upgrades we’ve made at CB, FB and DM, Tuchel will take the job seriously knowing he has a solid platform to work with. However, I don’t think he will come mid season, as it’s been reported he wants to take a 1 year sabbatical before entertaining a return to management/coaching.

With Tuchel it depends how much you take him at his word than he doesn't care for transfers and would rather just focus on the training and tactics.

I seem to remember one of the issues at the end of his Chelsea stint was lack of creativity and goals ?

He's also used shapes with odd numbers of defenders (3/5), IIRC. I think that's definitely a little far off the path of the current squad, the signings and maybe that ephemeral "play identity" the new management would like to have. 4 at the back and wingers is an easier setup to hand on to most managers.

Pretty fiery character which I think can be an asset facing outwards but exhausting to his higher-ups.

Also I don't know if they're on bad terms but MDL was not his favourite at Bayern, I think ?

He would absolutely upgrade defensive solidity quick.

With Tuchel it depends how much you take him at his word than he doesn't care for transfers and would rather just focus on the training and tactics.

I seem to remember one of the issues at the end of his Chelsea stint was lack of creativity and goals ?

He's also used shapes with odd numbers of defenders (3/5), IIRC. I think that's definitely a little far off the path of the current squad, the signings and maybe that ephemeral "play identity" the new management would like to have. 4 at the back and wingers is an easier setup to hand on to most managers.

Pretty fiery character which I think can be an asset facing outwards but exhausting to his higher-ups.

Also I don't know if they're on bad terms but MDL was not his favourite at Bayern, I think ?

He would absolutely upgrade defensive solidity quick.

His stint at Chelsea was the only time he used a 3 at the back system. The rest of his managerial career he’s deployed a 4 at the back formation. It’s a myth that’s he’s tied to this 3/5 at the back.

His stint at Chelsea was the only time he used a 3 at the back system. The rest of his managerial career he’s deployed a 4 at the back formation. It’s a myth that’s he’s tied to this 3/5 at the back.
He used it at least occasionally at PSG (right before being sacked).
I probably overstated it in listing all the things that could have been an issue when considering him last summer.

I want to believe this is heavily influenced by the fans who are certain it’s gonna be Southgate, rather than by his actual chances of getting the job

I remember when he was heavily linked to takeover when INEOS were conducting their post season review and Ornstein stated that it was unlikely he’d be in the running and would be surprised if he was anywhere near the top of the list of potential candidates. It’s just laziness from the media putting 2 + 2 together because of the Ashworth connection.

He used it at least occasionally at PSG.
I probably overstated it in listing all the things that could have been an issue when considering him last summer.

I just constantly see the whole 3 at the back thing used as a slight against him and a reason not to hire him when in reality he’s rarely used it outside of his time at Chelsea. He’s not a Conte type that’s glued to that formation. I just think most would’ve seen him from his time at Chelsea and assumed he was a 3 at the back kind of manager.