Life after ETH — the next United manager

I think Emery is a quality manager, however we saw at Arsenal that maybe he isn't quite cut out for the very top level of the game. Granted he may have grown from that experience, and he is definitely doing a good job at Villa. If he were to become our manager I would be in support of it even though I may feel a bit apprehensive. In a straight shot with him and Tuchel I would opt for Tuchel, but would not be disappointed with Emery.
Could it be he just arrived at Arsenal before their transfers were bought/settled in and the players evolved into key players? Martinelli, Saka, etc. Also didn’t he have the burden of Mustafi/Mertesacker or was that before him?

At Villa he arrived at the right time, with Watkins being fully developed. Then got the best out of matured players like Konsa, McGinn, Douglas Luiz, Bailey, etc.

I’m not sure there is a great difference in some managers like Arteta vs Emery or even ETH if he arrives at the right time. This is the struggle at United. So many players in key positions are not close to being matured/fully developed players.

This page is like a Managers map of the world and we are all struggling where to pick :lol: Personally for a 3 year stability project I’d go with Tuchel, but Naglesman would be my preferred choice. It’s going to be a Caretaker and most likely Ruud.

Could it be he just arrived at Arsenal before their transfers were bought/settled in and the players evolved into key players? Martinelli, Saka, etc.

At Villa he arrived at the right time, with Watkins being fully developed. Then got the best out of matured players like Konsa, McGinn, Douglas Luiz, Bailey, etc.

I’m not sure there is a great difference in some managers like Arteta vs Emery or even ETH if he arrives at the right time. This is the struggle at United. So many players in key positions are not close to being matured/fully developed players.

That may very well be the case. Like I said I would not be disappointed if we brought him in. He only had one stint at a top club and his work at Villa you would say has definitely earned him another shot, if we choose to go down that route.

I highly doubt he's even on the list. Anyone worth their salt knows he's not up to it, especially tactically, but that shouldn't be a surprise. He only managed on club level for 3 years and that was 15-18 years ago as well. He wasn't anything special back then, and football is a very different sport now altogether compared to the late 2000s. He basically missed the whole tactical revolution of the last 15 years as he quit club football just when Guardiola, the biggest pioneer of said tactical revolution, basically entered the game.

It says it all, that with an overpowered squad, on international level, where tactics don't even matter as much, as it's a more "arcade" type of football, and with the competition made up mostly of washed up managers on the decline (with some rare exceptions, like Enrique, Flick, and Nagelsmann from the last few years), he somehow managed to handicap his own team in every major international tournament, with his unbalanced tactical approach.

@AkaAkuma

We targeted 2 centre backs, because Ineos clearly want to rebuild that position. Also, starting with a back 4, but switching to a back 3 during a game, especially when you have possession, has become a regular occurence lately under some of the best managers in the world. It's a cornerstone of both Pep's and Arteta's teams currently. Maresca as well, if I'm not mistaken. That's why you have centre-backs playing full-back, and full-backs who can invert into midfield next to the central midfielders: Zinchenko, Calafiori, Timber, White, Aké, Gvardiol and Lewis are all players who fit at least one of these roles. In our current squad, Martínez, Dalot, and Mazraoui are capable of playing in such a system and are very suited to it. Branthwaite too, but targeting him doesn't necessarily indicate a plan to a switch to a permanent back 3. Branthwaite and Martínez could both start games at left-back if we had both, with Martínez able to into turn into a CCB and Branthwaite into a wide defender if we switch to a back 3. They could play together because of this as well, despite both being originally left-footed CBs. And then, Mazraoui and Dalot are both great at inverting into the midfield.
While I think they could do a job in the Lewis/Stones role, it’s never been tested really with Dalot. Don’t think it has with Mazraoui neither.

Kadioglu who Brighton just signed can do this. Think we missed out on a decent player there, but money seemed a constraint.

How good is Nagelsmann at developing players? I like him as a candidate, but his problem will be that he has to develop Garnacho to next level, get the best out of Bruno and Rashford and also elevate either Højlund or Zirkzee to scoring a good amount of goals while also developing Amad.

Can he do most of this? What’s his experience in taking a talent and getting them to that next level?

While I think they could do a job in the Lewis/Stones role, it’s never been tested really with Dalot. Don’t think it has with Mazraoui neither.

Kadioglu who Brighton just signed can do this. Think we missed out on a decent player there, but money seemed a constraint.
Dalot/Maz can do the role as good as Kadioglu, if not better. Dalot has been inverting a lot since ETH came in, and Maz has done it tons at Ajax.

Dalot/Maz can do the role as good as Kadioglu, if not better. Dalot has been inverting a lot since ETH came in, and Maz has done it tons at Ajax.
Dalot has hardly done it a lot. Inverting to me means playing the role of a defensive midfielder at times. He's mostly been in the role of making crosses and/or getting into positions to take a shot or two.

That's not the same as inverting the same way as Lewis/Stones in my opinion.

How good is Nagelsmann at developing players? I like him as a candidate, but his problem will be that he has to develop Garnacho to next level, get the best out of Bruno and Rashford and also elevate either Højlund or Zirkzee to scoring a good amount of goals while also developing Amad.

Can he do most of this? What’s his experience in taking a talent and getting them to that next level?
He got his first Bundesliga job because he was an excellent youth coach. Also he had to work with a lot of young players in Hoffenheim and Leipzig (because that's their business model) and was quite successful.

It didn't work out for Tuchel at Bayern, but it's a bit of a myth that they are this perfectly-run club. They've been a mess for a while, with Flick's short run of brilliance being an outlier. I have reservations about Tuchel falling out with players and exploding, but that happens with almost every manager other than Ancelotti.
Funny that you mention Ancelotti... the Bayern players didn't think his coaching sessions were up to the required standard and organised additional sessions themselves, ultimately they got him sacked due to those reasons.

I hope that we keep going with younger up and coming managers. I think Amorim would be interesting although he’d have a few challenges squad-wise.

I think that in Yoro, De Ligt and Martinez he has a back three that works. Especially if he can bring along one of Diomande or Inacio, and Dalot, Shaw and Mazraoui are wing-backs he could work with and a new LWB should be an aquisition to be looked at.

Problems start at midfield where he normally deploys a two. Ugarte’s alrady played there for him obviously, but can a partnership between him and Kobbie work?
I’d worry about the of athleticism being sufficient in that pairing so a partner for Ugarte/Mainoo could be key.

At the moment he uses a front three with two inverting wingers and a striker very much like Højlund in Gyökeres. If he can recreate the environment that’s seen the latter so succesful at United then maybe the same can work for Højlund, although the level of competition is perhaps a bigger factor here.

Rashford/Garnacho and Amad in particular would probably fit for the wide roles but it begs the question where Bruno fits in which is obviously an issue seeing as he’s one of our highest earners and captain.
He used Pedro Goncalves as left winger in the last game againt Porto who I believe is a similar player to Bruno so maybe he goes there, but I really don’t know enough about either Pote or Sportings tactics to know. Another option is Bruno stays as 10 with Højlund and Rashford/Garnacho flanking him which I believe is a set-up that Amorim has also used at Sporting i the past.

Potential team:

De Ligt - Yoro - Martinez

Dalot - Mainoo - Ugarte - Shaw

Amad - Højlund - Bruno

With a few reinforments this could be a very good base to start from. If he can tactically get the midfield two to work, that also solves one of our biggest issues.

Nagelsmann all day
My choice too. Its whether he'd consider leaving the German NT which is a pretty cushy gig for him. Though mind you I think he's too young to be a international football manager, I've always considered that to be the retirement circuit for veteran managers. So perhaps we could convince him with the setup and long term project to get back into club management.

Oh and he hates us after 99 being a big Munich fan :p

Though mind you I think he's too young to be a international football manager, I've always considered that to be the retirement circuit for veteran managers.
In his case it seems to be a kind of "parental leave" from "real managing" instead of the usual semi-retirement :lol:

I think ETH can still do it but he has to make some bold choices.

I try the below team to see how they do, if they cant cut it we can bring in rashford/Bruno/Mainoo into first team anyway.

--------------------------Hoijlund ---------------------------------

---Garancho----------Mason---------------Amad-------------

------------Casemiro--------Ugarte---------------------------------

-----Shaw-------Lisandro-----Deligt------------Maz-------------

Will the (potential) new manager require his own players too, or will he have to "make do" with the ones who are already in the squad?

People will scoff at the thought but I think Bielsa wouldn't be the worst choice in the world.
I’d love to see it. Can you imagine the whining from some of our players when they figured out how much more they’d have to run though?

The latest Tifo podcast makes some interesting points about our current situation. The biggest one is that Ashworth oversaw the big improvement in England and also Brighton, but this didn't happen in the space of two months. They speculate that Ten Hag staying was mainly about not changing too many things at once and that it's likely none of the managers they spoke to in the summer impressed them enough for them to decide that level of change at this time was worth it.

I say this as someone who has recently reached the point where I think managerial change is needed - but I acknowledge the points they are making as valid. In terms of who next, I have no strong views, but all I can say is I watch other so-called lesser teams in the premier league like Brighton, Bournemouth, Wolves, Brentford, Fulham, Palace etc and am bewildered at how much better their football is to watch than ours. United are not even half-decent most of the time and could easily get turned over by almost any other premier league team and nobody would be surprised by it. I suspect we will end up being Ipswich's first 'big scalp' of the season.

I think ETH can still do it but he has to make some bold choices.

I try the below team to see how they do, if they cant cut it we can bring in rashford/Bruno/Mainoo into first team anyway.

--------------------------Hoijlund ---------------------------------

---Garancho----------Mason---------------Amad-------------

------------Casemiro--------Ugarte---------------------------------

-----Shaw-------Lisandro-----Deligt------------Maz-------------

He's been here 3 years. I've not seen anything to suggest he'll turn it around. Happy to be proven wrong, but I'm not convinced he'll drop both Bruno and Rashford. He won't go that bold.

ETH is on borrowed time. He's gone even if we scrape 4th. Keyword being scrape. Maybe a sustained, consistent position in the top 4 would convince his bosses to hold on to him, but I don't see it happening.

He's been here 3 years. I've not seen anything to suggest he'll turn it around. Happy to be proven wrong, but I'm not convinced he'll drop both Bruno and Rashford. He won't go that bold.

ETH is on borrowed time. He's gone even if we scrape 4th. Keyword being scrape. Maybe a sustained, consistent position in the top 4 would convince his bosses to hold on to him, but I don't see it happening.

He's not been here 3 years, (it's 2 years 2 months) but I don't disagree with your points. :D

We’re going in circles for a decade.

Hire a manager, he’s crap, instead of sacking them after 6 months like what Barcelona or Madrid would do, we persist with them, write off entire seasons for them, back them with millions.

Mourinho was the only one with the pedigree to deserve this sort of leeway, the first several months of his second season, we looked as good as some of the SAF era title winning sides, problem was, SAF never had to compete with a team that was on course to get 100 points.
So, the team lost bit of motivation when it was clear it would be impossible to catch City, its natural, we didn’t have the quality in attack to go toe to toe like Klopp’s team did the next several years.

Then the Sevilla tie happened, at that point it was pretty much over for Jose, instead, he got another season, wasn’t backed, and everything that happened after that was a complete and utter waste of time.

A coach is as replaceable as a janitor, stop building shrines to these people until they’re successful with us, get out of the 90’s and SAF era, they’re nothing, I didn’t see anyone shuddering about who will replace Andreas Pereira or Fellaini when they left, you get someone in, if they’re good, great, if they’re not you get someone better.

ETH is the Andreas Pereira of coaches, that’s all he is, its as easy to replace him as a dirty napkin.
He treated the supporters of this club as a bunch of idiots, condescendingly swiping every bit of criticism to the side like we’re a bunch of morons who don’t deserve his Dutch greatness.

He’s a condescending, self absorbed deluded fool.

He's not been here 3 years, (it's 2 years 2 months) but I don't disagree with your points. :D

Sheesh. Got that wrong. I was thinking of the number 3. 3 transfer windows? 3rd season?

Whatever. He needs to show something. Unfortunately I think he's set on this suicidal transitional style he's chosen for some reason. He goes on about 2 trophies, but we didn't play this crazy tactic against Citeh when we won the FA cup. How he can point out to those trophies as a sign that what he's doing is working, I cannot understand.

Emery or Nagelsmann sounds like the best options to me. I think Nagelsmann has hit eyes set on the next World Cup though. It'll be hard to get him.

Poch is known as a bottler, but I think he develops youth players quite well which is what we need. If we're not gonna win anything of note right now this season, then we might as well get someone in who can level up our big talents. For a year until someone else is available, it's not the dumbest idea I think. I don't really believe in Tuchel.

Ruben Amorim is the clear standout for me. I think Tuchel is a good option, Nagelsmann would be if he was available, and Alonso’s destiny seems to lie elsewhere.

Of the young upcoming managers Amorim looks to be the most charismatic IMO, he seems to have a really vocal, dominant personality and really has his players and fans on side. He can also claim to be a winner having broken the duopoly between Benfica & Porto. Not only bringing Sporting their first title in 19 years, but also managing to win a 2nd title within 4 years in charge (+ 2 cups), with different players at that.

In 4 years (218 games) in charge he’s managed to average:
  • 2.25 points per game
  • 2.19 goals per game
  • 0.89 goals against per game
  • Team consistently hovers around 60% possession
For context, our stats throughout Ten Hags tenure (118 games) look like this:
  • 1.88 points per game (Pep’s City = 2.34)
  • 1.83 goals per game (Pep’s City = 2.55)
  • 1.43 goals against per game (Pep’s City = 0.90)
  • Around 51% possession (Pep’s City = 63%)

Reactions: Invictus
Changing manager after 3 matches would be a knee-jerk reaction.

There is a new structure in place that needs time to fully establish itself and there are new players that need to be integrated.

I know that watching the football played before us is déjà voodoo and it's painful but a fire has been lit under EtH's arse and the players are also feeling the heat. The scene has been set and it's up to the players and coaches to respond

There is a new structure in place that needs time to fully establish itself and there are new players that need to be integrated.

I know that watching the football played before us is déjà voodoo and it's painful but a fire has been lit under EtH's arse and the players are also feeling the heat. The scene has been set and it's up to the players and coaches to respond
Yes and no... the problem is, that most of us who want EtH out already agreed last season that his tactical approach and formation would not work and has to be changed. He didn't change that. So it's quite urgent to sack him NOW before he ruins the new signings as well with his not working ideas. Don't integrate them into his approach, leave them untarnished for a better approach.

It would be a long way from knee jerk. The pitchforks were out after we got absolutely manhandled by Palace, on top of having one the worst seasons the club has had for the last century.
The euphoria of winning the FA cup somehow saved his bacon but he was still walking a slackline before the season even started.

Yes and no... the problem is, that most of us who want EtH out already agreed last season that his tactical approach and formation would not work and has to be changed. He didn't change that. So it's quite urgent to sack him NOW before he ruins the new signings as well with his not working ideas. Don't integrate them into his approach, leave them untarnished for a better approach.

I guess, in my mind, I drew a line after last season and EtH's retention - so I'm viewing this season as a new period and that 3 weeks is too short a time.

He should be given the opportunity to turn it around - however short. I don't like the way he configures the team to play. And I hope someone in the hierarchy has a word with him to let him know what his responsibility is

I guess, in my mind, I drew a line after last season and EtH's retention - so I'm viewing this season as a new period and that 3 weeks is too short a time.
I get your view, and in general I would be willing to share it. But the problem is that I don't feel EtH did draw that line. If we would see that they tried to fix their approach and we now would see a lack of automatisms in a new system or similar issues, I would draw that line and grant him a fresh start. But I don't see that change, so I see it as a continuation of the issues.

Its not only 3 games though as this massive decline in performance on the pitch has been going on since the League Cup final win and we have only won 5 of our last 17 league games which is a disgrace and we see managers at much smaller clubs sacked.

People keep mentioning the new structure but the abysmal performances on the pitch have nothing to do with the structure and are solely down to the manager, if he isnt sacked he at the very least needs to be given an warning that if he doesnt change his awful tactics he will be sacked.