Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 100 10.2%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 15 1.5%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 43 4.4%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 167 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 138 14.1%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 166 17.0%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 62 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 50 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Voted for Allegri. We get bullied by teams, refs and journalists. Squad discipline is questionable. Allegri would put a stop to all that imo.

We clearly need to find the next Jurgen Klopp.

This is a manager who has broken the balance of their respective leagues.

This leaves us only with the options of Xabi Alonso breaking the balance of the Bundesliga or Ruben Amorim who has broken the balance of the Portuguese League.

As seen with the rise of Pochettino & Ten Hag after their fantastic runs in the CL - we can't judge managers on a cup run.

Watching a manager breaking the balance of the leagues to become amongst the favourites is showing much more consistency throughout a whole season.

This is the reason that I think our most likely next manager is Ruben Amorim since Xabi Alonso is unlikely without a mind boggling wage.

I also think Manchester United & Sporting Lisbon have a strong historical relationship with players like Nani, C Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandes, Ugarte & the nationality of Dalot.

Also he is an ex midfielder, something I have noticed tended to be a strong ex players spot towards management.

Nice start to the season with 8 games played & 8 won.

Reactions: Invictus
Ruben Amorim has been unconvincing every time I’ve watched sporting

You've probably watched more Sporting Lisbon than I have but does this have anything to do with them not being a possession based team like Guardiola, Arteta or Xabi Alonso's?

I personally feel like there can only be one winner when everyone is dancing the same dance - the one who is best at it & that's Guardiola & City.

Klopp was the only one who held back City & were probably the least tiki taka in his style of football compared to say Arteta.

So I'd personally be more happy we avoid playing City or Barcelona football & play a complete different style of football that is unique to us than trying to play the football that City is ultimately best at.

I think Inzaghi with his 3-4-1-2 could get the best out of this squad.

And statistically, we'd be more likely to win the league with an Italian manager!

But seriously, Inzaghi or Amorim would be my choices - I think a back 3/5 is the way to go with this current squad.

Eddie Howe?

He isn't good enough for Newcastle, let alone Manchester, United.

Hard no. It will be our luck to suffer him whilst the barcodes get Amorim in.

Interesting to see another Ashworth associate linked. Will Alan Partridge be next, because of the famous 'Dan' scene?

'Coogan, 53, has no managerial experience and is literally an actor but has followed United since a young age...'

Christ.

Eddie Howe?

He isn't good enough for Newcastle, let alone, Manchester, United.

Hard no.

Interesting to see another Ashworth associate linked. Will Alan Partridge be nwxt, because of the famous 'Dan' scene?

'Coogan, 53, has no managerial experience and is literally an actor but has followed United since a young age...'

Christ.

Oh he got sacked at Newcastle? News to me.

You realise that The Daily Express make everything up. I wouldn't even trust them to get last night's football scores correct.
I’m just amazed they didn’t go with “Ratcliffe to go British, when choosing the replacement for failed Euro manager aren’t Hag” or some similar drivel

Yeah, we don't want Eddie Howe, right?

I'd take him. He is a top coach. He has taken Newcastle and plays some good stuff, they are a good team.

Although he is also a transitional manager, not sure how he would fair at a top club but anyone is better than who we have now.

We clearly need to find the next Jurgen Klopp.

This is a manager who has broken the balance of their respective leagues.

This leaves us only with the options of Xabi Alonso breaking the balance of the Bundesliga or Ruben Amorim who has broken the balance of the Portuguese League.

As seen with the rise of Pochettino & Ten Hag after their fantastic runs in the CL - we can't judge managers on a cup run.

Watching a manager breaking the balance of the leagues to become amongst the favourites is showing much more consistency throughout a whole season.

This is the reason that I think our most likely next manager is Ruben Amorim since Xabi Alonso is unlikely without a mind boggling wage.

I also think Manchester United & Sporting Lisbon have a strong historical relationship with players like Nani, C Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandes, Ugarte & the nationality of Dalot.

Also he is an ex midfielder, something I have noticed tended to be a strong ex players spot towards management.

Nice start to the season with 8 games played & 8 won.
We still need to judge managers on the whole. To label Ten Hag a cup manager after his achievements with Ajax seems wrong considering Ajax hadn’t won the league in four years prior to his appointment. Ten Hag was an outstanding candidate at the time, despite how his tenure has turned out.
Klopp, besides breaking Bayerns domestic dominance also managed to reach a champions league final in his time with Dortmund.

While Amorim has done very well with his Sporting side domestically, he hasn’t managed to make a mark on the internatinonal stage and I think that should count against him.

Compare his record to Ten Hag and come back when you've given your head a wobble :nervous:

Ten Hag's record at United?

The one that says negative goal difference?

The one that says 14th in the PL table?

The one that says 8th place finish last season?

The one that says 600m spent, and have the lowest metrics in terms of goals scored?

Finished bottom of CL groups?

Zidane.

Is it likely to happen? Not at all
Could it be congruous to our long term. planing at the same time? Probably not.

Does any of that stop me from wanting to see his majestic bald figure on our sidelines? Not really.

Howes a good coach and would likely have us challenging for top 4 regularly. Maybe not a bad option until the next Klopp or Pep becomes available??

Eddie Howe, feck me.

We need a manager who can challenge for the title, not one who's slightly better than the one we've already got, but without the trophies.

Howe isn't better than ten Hag, really. Managed a state owned franchise to nothing and his football is godawful.

He's even lost a final to EtH.

My guess is Tuchel is circling again and the stumbling block is he wants a transfer veto and INEOS don't want to give him one. That was probably why he fell through in the summer as well. Question is who, if anyone, will fold?

Howe isn't better than ten Hag, really. Managed a state owned franchise to nothing and his football is godawful.

He's even lost a final to EtH.

Switch managers and the result would have been exactly the same. They were winning the final before the goal and he’s very much a better manager than ETH.

Most of those names are completely unrealistic, but if they were in fact all available to us I'd go with Alonso.