Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 100 10.2%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 15 1.5%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 43 4.4%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 137 14.0%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 166 17.0%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 62 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 50 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
It looks clear to me that unless some miracle happens, ETH is doomed. The problem is who would replace him on the interim basis. Many managers won't leave their job to join us and quite frankly RVN doesn't inspire me with confidence either. Maybe a free agent might consider the job as an interim. Graham Potter won't aim for the job as long as his got the chance of becoming England's manager. Which leaves us with slimmer pickings. Sarri might do the trick, he's got EPL experience and he's a solid manager. Sérgio Conceição isn't a bad shout either, there's Xavi and former Nice manager Favre

I don’t think Xavi has the experience to turn the ship around. It needs to be a Tuchel or equivalent.

My gut feeling is that United's next manager will be English and he'll be joining us in the summer.

We need to approach hiring managers a little different I think. Instead of straight up looking for a guy who can be at the club long term and delivering league titles we should be getting someone who can consistently get us into CL places. Then we re-assess him and see if we can get someone who can get us to win the league titles.

We've fallen so low that expecting someone to come in a deliver a league titles (and I've not even mentioned the CL ffs) is kind of unrealistic.

I am not sure what 'approach' means in that context, but it is good if we are in contact with someone like Hoeness.
I don't think he'd have been ready last summer and apparently everyone involved thought the same. But he is a very promising manager.

How reliable is the journalist?
If it is true, it shows how far we have fallen
Reasonably, but not beyond doubt.

However it fits the picture Hoeneß generally has created that he likes to continue his journey at Stuttgart to develop himself.

Which also ties into this:
There’s no chance stuttgarts manager turns us down surely
He wants CL experience. Stuttgart offers him that, United doesn't this season.

How reliable is the journalist?
If it is true, it shows how far we have fallen
Not really. He has a long career ahead of him but there's only one time he's going to be at Stuttgart with this squad in the CL, Xabi Alonso did the same thing. Actually points well to them - they believe in their ability to get top jobs in the future.

What's wrong with Ole as interim? Up until he signed Ronaldo he had us consistently finishing top4. If he can achieve that this season, than we would be in a much better position come summer.

Consistency of finishing top 4 over two seasons is not consistency, especially when the next sample if Ole had stayed on would have been way out of top 4.

If Ten Hag had us win 2 games in a row, would you refuse to sack him because he consistently won 2? Such a strange remark.

However it fits the picture Hoeneß generally has created that he likes to continue his journey at Stuttgart to develop himself.

Ouch. Fair enough

surely Tuchel isn’t getting a better gig? Unless he’s really enjoying unemployment, then the dithering must be coming from our side

Alonso, Motta, Nagelsmann and Inzaghi seem unlikely. With that in mind, I'd prefer Amorim, Iraola or Hoeneß.

Everyone rejected Bayern last summer :lol: :lol:

Yes, just that he is not anybody when it is about Bayern. His father played for Bayern and is agent of atleast two of their homegrown players (Stanisic and Pavlovic), his brother works there - and he has been the coach of their second team and got them to be champion in league 3. We aren't even talking about uncle or cousins.

But Bayern was too early for him - so is Manchester United.

I think on here we are always looking for the man rather than defining the required skills.

The who rather than the what

Still looking for the Messiah

Still looking for the short term

Alonso, Motta, Nagelsmann and Inzaghi seem unlikely. With that in mind, I'd prefer Amorim, Iraola or Hoeneß.

I guess that there's a good chance Amorim follows Hugo Viana to City next summer (if Guardiola doesn't sign a new deal before then, obviously).

I don't think United can afford to write-off UCL qualification this season, so if they sack Ten Hag during next month's international break (as I'm expecting), I think they'll approach Tuchel, as he would probably make a bigger short-term impact than the other candidates who are currently available. The likes of Iraola or Hoeneß surely only come in to play next summer.

Edin Terzic is being touted by The Sun - couldn't bring myself to read the rag to find out if there was a quote or any evidence or if they'd just drawn his name out of a hat

Edin Terzic is being touted by The Sun - couldn't bring myself to read the rag to find out if there was a quote or any evidence or if they'd just drawn his name out of a hat
Oh please no...

If one person embodies how Dortmund as a club misunderstood how football works in recent years, than it is him.

Not sure where the Stuttgart 'journey' ends.

Likely, at best, third place behind Bayern and the red bull franchise. Best players being sought by the big dogs. It gradually all going to pot.

I'd strongly advise him to steer clear of United. It could utterly decimate him.

Not sure where the Stuttgart 'journey' ends.

Likely, at best, third place behind Bayern and the red bull franchise. Best players being sought by the big dogs. It gradually all going to pot.

I'd strongly advise him to steer clear of United. It could utterly decimate him.
You make it sound as if Leipzig were the established "second force" in Germany. They are not (yet).

Would be a very bad choice, IMO. Terzic is a bit like the Dortmund version of Solskjaer. He's genuinely likeable but doesn't stand for a certain way of playing football and was criticized by his players for having not enough clue about tactics.

I think the idea to not aim for the stars immediately is a decent one but Terzic would be a step back, not forward.

Haven‘t watched a single minute since the Liverpool 0-3 and besides one exception I was right. The man sucks out all joy of following this beautiful football team. Every day of not sacking him just means falling behind further.

Would be a very bad choice, IMO. Terzic is a bit like the Dortmund version of Solskjaer. He's genuinely likeable but doesn't stand for a certain way of playing football and was criticized by his players for having not enough clue about tactics.

I think the idea to not aim for the stars immediately is a decent one but Terzic would be a step back, not forward.
Yeah I really don't know much about him but all I read on the Caf and I'll I have heard from my BVB supporting friends is he's a bit shit and not the standard required.

Can ruud really do any worse as interim for rest of season or until January, he at least has a better managerial pedigree than what ole had when he first took charge, ruud also understands the standards at this club unlike ten hag.
He did? Could have fooled me

A lot of managers have reportedly declined being our manager. How the mighty has fallen....

Since you seem to be looking at German coaches, what about Roger Schmidt? Not as good as Hoeneß, IMO, but a much better choice than Terzic, free agent and he also has experience with coaching a club with a huge international fanbase in Benfica. Probably the most extreme pressing I've seen to this day.

A lot of managers have reportedly declined being our manager. How the mighty has fallen....

Hardly that surprising.

New owners, upheaval at all levels above the manager, reduced authority for the manager on spending, no CL football this year, and the calibre of manager we'd want are the sort of managers who know they may well get offers from other top clubs if they wait.

Also not particularly new. We know at a minimum that both Klopp and Ancelotti spoke to Ferguson about succeeding him but weren't interested. Ancelotti because he was focused on the Madrid job and Klopp because he wanted to stay at Dortmund.

It's also not unique to us. Teams like Liverpool, Chelsea and Bayern saw the same reports of being turned down by managers just this summer.