Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 44 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 52 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 169 17.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 133 13.5%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 168 17.1%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 63 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Kind of a cop out answer. No matter how much you get paid, it doesn't make the perfect manager appear out of nowhere.
Again, we hired a team of best in class people and they need to address the situation proactively. With your reasoning, we just wait for someone to appear? This is amauterish and incompetent.

Maybe SJR could make him reconsider somehow. 4-5 years at Man Utd as the best paid manager in the world would top off his amazing career imo.

ETH probably leaving in November, Ruud as interim for 6 months to give him a try and then Ancelotti.
He’s 65. Probably wants to spend a couple of years at Real and then enjoy retirement rather than try to manage Ajax 2.0.

Again, we hired a team of best in class people and they need to address the situation proactively. With your reasoning, we just wait for someone to appear? This is amauterish and incompetent.

Ineos are addressing it competently.

Competent isn't rushing to the sack when there is no plan of succession agreed, hiring interims and hoping for the best afterward. Such isn't proactive, it's reactive.

Anyways, no point getting worked up because we don't officially know the craic.

He’s 65. Probably wants to spend a couple of years at Real and then enjoy retirement rather than try to manage Ajax 2.0.
I can understand that. But coming here and winning Premier League again would make him the goat. Staying at Real Madrid for another few years is quite boring in comparison.

Ineos are addressing it competently.

Competent isn't rushing to the sack when there is no plan of succession agreed, hiring interims and hoping for the best afterward. Such isn't proactive, it's reactive.

Anyways, no point getting worked up because we don't officially know the craic.

The irony. As you stated "we don't officially know" and yet you started your post with "Ineos are addressing it competently".

I'm really hoping relatively small amounts involved in changing a manager are not going to affect their decision making.
I hope so too as a change in manager is clearly needed. Just a feeling that they're trying to be cost efficient as possible.

Simone Inzaghi is the kind of manager Chelsea used to appoint under Roman back then. A youngish with experience and winning mentality but yet to reach the pinnacle of their career. Hes won Serie A, Coppa Italia, reached CL final. Hes waiting for a true big club (i mean rich) to move upward considering at Inter he had to make do with rejects or freebies.

Dont think you can convince any world class manager to manage us in championship next season.
Inzaghi would be a very interesting option

Other than Jose (who while young was coming off a CL win) and the other Portuguese guy (name escapes me - didn't do a great job), what other up-and-coming managers did Abramovich sign? Not try to sound sarcastic - genuinely wondering if I've missed someone (aging, dodgy memory, etc.)

Jose Mourinho 41
Andre Villas-Boas 34
Antonio Conte 47
Thomas Tuchel 48

Thats 4 managers.

Now before you complain that Conte and Tuchel were past 45 when Roman appointed them id like to remind you that Simone Inzaghi is already 48 years old this year.

Jose Mourinho 41
Andre Villas-Boas 34
Antonio Conte 47
Thomas Tuchel 48

Thats 4 managers.

Now before you complain that Conte and Tuchel were past 45 when Roman appointed them id like to remind you that Simone Inzaghi is already 48 years old this year.
I'm honestly struggling to call Conte, Tuchel and Inzaghi "up-and-coming" managers. Inzaghi managed Lazio and Inter for more than 400 games in total already, started early in 2016 (and before worked as a youth coach, I'm ignoring that). That's not an exciting youngster, that's a proven manager.

I hope so too as a change in manager is clearly needed. Just a feeling that they're trying to be cost efficient as possible.
They wouldn’t have signed Ugarte if they were. ETH didn’t want him and they still spent £50m to sign him.

Villas-Boas was certainly a very hot property. Di Matteo was also quite 'up-and-coming' and over a decade younger than EtH when we signed him. Lampard was terrible, but also counts in the 'up-and-coming' category
I thought Di Matteo was kind of their version of Ole; a caretaker who surprised early and then was unwisely given the job?

Jose Mourinho 41
Andre Villas-Boas 34
Antonio Conte 47
Thomas Tuchel 48

Thats 4 managers.

Yeah but Conte was pretty established by that point - multiple championships with Juventus and coach of the Italian national team. Tuchel as well had already coached Dortmund and PSG, taking the latter to the finals of the Champions League. And why would I complain about their ages?

I thought Di Matteo was kind of their version of Ole; a caretaker who surprised early and then was unwisely given the job?
Ole on steroids. It's like if we had ridden the 'Ole's at the wheel' wave all the way to a UCL crown.

Thing with Chelsea though, they sacked him as soon as they started coming down to earth just 5 months after being kept on permanently. He didn’t get a few seasons even coming off a CL + league cup double.

True.

The problem is that we don't really have any reason to trust the people in charge.

They have everything to prove, you could say.

The decision to keep ETH after the FA Cup final looks extremely poor at the moment, but some slack could be given if said decision wasn't made by the actual, current decision makers...who weren't in place at the time (in other words: it was a decision made in an interim sort of phase...or something like that).

There is some room for doubt there, then (working in their favour, as it were) - but we as fans have no reason to trust them. They haven't done anything whatsoever to earn our trust.

You have literally no idea what they're up to at the moment in terms of addressing it. Sacking the manager immediately is not the only way to sort out the mess United are in. Indeed sacking him with no good options to replace him would just create another mess. I mean, look at Rangick and Ole, both those mid-season appointments ended up making as much mess as they cleared up.

True.

The problem is that we don't really have any reason to trust the people in charge.

They have everything to prove, you could say.

The decision to keep ETH after the FA Cup final looks extremely poor at the moment, but some slack could be given if said decision wasn't made by the actual, current decision makers...who weren't in place at the time (in other words: it was a decision made in an interim sort of phase...or something like that).

There is some room for doubt there, then (working in their favour, as it were) - but we as fans have no reason to trust them. They haven't done anything whatsoever to earn our trust.
And they deserve time as well. Rome wasn't built in a day. You can't expect people to be successful overnight. If you are blaming the current team for the mess we are in , then you guys have absolutely no clue about what you are saying (not you personally).

You have literally no idea what they're up to at the moment in terms of addressing it. Sacking the manager immediately is not the only way to sort out the mess United are in. Indeed sacking him with no good options to replace him would just create another mess. I mean, look at Rangick and Ole, both those mid-season appointments ended up making as much mess as they cleared up.

I would argue that keeping him to continue the rot doesn't help either. At least we need to try something different e.g. give it to an interim until we find a permanent manager. This is what normally a club would do. But I get where you are coming from. I guess, agree to disagree.

I, for one was never worry about Southgate could be our manager. I refuse to believe that the best in class football people we poached from our rivals are so incompetent.

I, for one was never worry about Southgate could be our manager. I refuse to believe that the best in class football people we poached from our rivals are so incompetent.
What is this "best in class" stuff? It doesn't mean anything. It's like the paperwork equivalent of the "golden generation". Really beginning to fear we're starting to like the soundbyte more than actually what's going on.

Who is making these meaningless determinations anyway?

Might appear we're a tin pot operation but we've self anointed everyone here "best in class," so pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. It's such an us thing to do. If in doubt, delude ourselves with a reassuring catch phrase.

Sacking the manager immediately is not the only way to sort out the mess United are in.

Obviously true.

But ETH is never going to turn this around, that won't happen - and everyone and their granny knows this.

If the season is going to be written off, it actually makes more sense to write it off after taking a punt on an interim (Ruud?) rather than insisting on letting ETH sink the ship himself (to the detriment of both ETH and the people above him).

In short, there isn't an argument for ETH at this point. There is no (rational, logical) reason to stick with him.

Even if you like the fecker, you should want him gone (because him staying will only damage his reputation further, possibly beyond all repair).

What is this "best in class" stuff? It doesn't mean anything. It's like the paperwork equivalent of the "golden generation". Really beginning to fear we're starting to like the soundbyte more than actually what's going on.

Well, at least that is what the Ineos Team PR machine is churning out. They are looking to appoint all the best in class people in key positions in football structure. So far they have appointed CEO, DOF and TD. It's the manager situation that they need to sort out sooner rather than later.

Well, at least that is what the Ineos Team PR machine is churning out. They are looking to appoint all the best in class people in key positions in football structure. So far they have appointed CEO, DOF and TD. It's the manager situation that they need to sort out sooner rather than later.
Maybe they genuinely consider ten Hag to already be the best in class. He definitely thinks he is, maybe he’s also convinced them.

And they deserve time as well. Rome wasn't built in a day. You can't expect people to be successful overnight.

Yes, I agree with that.

But I'm pointing out that you can't blame United fans for not being 100% behind them. We have seen nothing but incompetence ever since Fergie retired - and the current lot have done nothing whatsoever to convince anyone that we're finally on the right track.

Again - they have everything to prove.

I'm willing to give them a chance - sure. But I don't think it's unreasonable to be very skeptical of every feckin' move they make until they have actually proven themselves.

Maybe SJR could make him reconsider somehow. 4-5 years at Man Utd as the best paid manager in the world would top off his amazing career imo.

ETH probably leaving in November, Ruud as interim for 6 months to give him a try and then Ancelotti.
That could happen. But do we really want someone who is only coming for the money; whose heart likely wouldn't really be in it?

Maybe they genuinely consider ten Hag to already be the best in class. He definitely thinks he is, maybe he’s also convinced them.
Nope. ETH clearly is not their preferred choice. They interviewed other candidates and it was leaked to the media. A certain Tuchel was also reported to have rejected us.

Obviously true.

But ETH is never going to turn this around, that won't happen - and everyone and their granny knows this.

If the season is going to be written off, it actually makes more sense to write it off after taking a punt on an interim (Ruud?) rather than insisting on letting ETH sink the ship himself (to the detriment of both ETH and the people above him).

In short, there isn't an argument for ETH at this point. There is no (rational, logical) reason to stick with him.

Even if you like the fecker, you should want him gone (because him staying will only damage his reputation further, possibly beyond all repair).

I don't really care about ETHs reputation to be honest. I'm interested in what's good for the club. As for Ineos, if they sack ETH, employ Ruud and he fails too, they'll still be derided for their decision. So worrying about the court of public opinion is a pointless endeavour. Results are the only thing that will change minds.

Maybe we are looking at INEOS completely wrong. The cost-cutting measures and buying of young players with high potential point to trying to make lots of money in the future. Firing Ten Hag is expensive.

If the board does not attempt to recruit emery, then I would question if they are best in class, the only better but highly unlikely choices would be ancelotti, alonso and nagelsmann.

If the board does not attempt to recruit emery, then I would question if they are best in class, the only better but highly unlikely choices would be ancelotti, alonso and nagelsmann.

Emery isn't really as good as he's been made out to be lately. We need someone who's tactically astute enough to be able to compete with the likes of Pep and Arteta over 38 games, provided we build a squad for them that's suitable for this goal too. Emery is a far cry from that. And so is Ancelotti, tbh.

The more you think about the United problem, the more it becomes more obvious!

When was the last time United really went out over the period of 2-3 seasons and picked up the best English/British talent in the PL.

We had a period from 1991-2011, a Twenty year period where we signed all the best British/English players;
Denis Irwin, Roy Keane, Paul Ince, Andy Cole, Teddy Sheringham, Rio Ferdinand, Owen Hargreaves, Chris Smalling, Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick, Michael Owen, Alan Smith, Ashley Young,

Added that to Academy talent like Scholes, Beckham, Wes Brown, Neville’s, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Darren Fletcher, Tom Cleverly, Danny Wellbeck and the club had a core of the best or at least highly talented players who set he standard for most players that came from other leagues.

Fergie liked to add the odd Frenchman or two, the best of Scandinavia, a few good Dutch Men and then the odd Portuguese, Argentinian or Brazilian who danced the flamenco on the pitch.

Now our core is Dutch or Players who have played or started in the Dutch League and this is the inherent problem.

Fans constantly deride English and British players on this forum but if we take the last 4 International tournaments, England have been top 4 and Top 8 in last 2 World Cups and two consecutive finals in the Euros so over the last 6-7 years, the English Squad is easily in the Top 3/4 l teams in world football and our youth teams have succeeded with two youth world cups, under 17, under 19 and under 21 European champions in the last 8 years.

Right now we need Dan Ashworth and Jason Wilcox to earn their salaries and look to overhaul a huge recruitment drive in the next 2 years of the very best British talent.

If we buy 4 players in January, I expect 3 to be PL proven and Preferably British and this pattern should continue for the next couple of windows too, the club has recently missed out on Players like ;
Jack Grealish, Declan Rice, Jude Bellingham, Cole Palmer, Harry Kane, Adam Wharton, Dominic Solanki, James Maddison, Ivan Toney.

Maybe if United would not have spent £400m of the £600m that ETH was allowed to spend on absolute Garbage and the club kept Dean Henderson, James Garner, AWB And then a competent United board went and bought Declan Rice, Harry Kane, James Maddison and Cole Palmer for £285m, the actual price that those 4 players cost, even if you add United Tax and call it £300’m we might be now looking at having a £150m to go spend on Jared Branthwaite and Florian Wirtz or Jamal Musialla and actually having a very good squad that expects to be in the top 3 Every Season.

For Clarity ; The club should not have bought or loaned the following;

A Onana(48m), Casemiro(70m), R Hojlund(72m), J Zirkzee (38m), T Malacia(15m), Anthony(86m), Mason Mount (55m….he could have been recruited on a free the following summer) S Amrabat (9m loan), W Weghorst (5m loan)

That’s £400m wasted and ETH should be removed asap for Gross Misconduct!
Never have I seen such and incomplete and average set of players join an elite club who were clearly not technical suitable or of the required standard, simply just not fit for purpose!

Question to all United fans when did our standards drop to such lows?

Last edited: