Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 101 10.2%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 44 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 52 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 169 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 133 13.5%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 169 17.1%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 63 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Maybe, just maybe, things are stalling as they try to get a top class manager who needs more time convincing
Won’t get one of them now. That would be after the season job as most of the top class managers are currently in jobs. If that was the case then they’d have sacked ETH and had Ruud or someone as interim. I read up the other day that they don’t want to really sack him until at least December/Jan. I don’t know if his pay out is cheaper then or what.

Simone Inzaghi is the kind of manager Chelsea used to appoint under Roman back then. A youngish with experience and winning mentality but yet to reach the pinnacle of their career. Hes won Serie A, Coppa Italia, reached CL final. Hes waiting for a true big club (i mean rich) to move upward considering at Inter he had to make do with rejects or freebies.

Maybe, just maybe, things are stalling as they try to get a top class manager who needs more time convincing

Dont think you can convince any world class manager to manage us in championship next season.

The so called best in class should be more competent/decisive handling the situation? Is ETH the right man to go forward? If no, sack him now and give it to Ruud until a permanent replacement is found.

No point giving him more time if he is not the right manager to bring us forward. They can't keep having the excuse that they can't find a suitable manager and hence fall back to ETH again. FFS.

The so called best in class should be more competent/decisive handling the situation? Is ETH the right man to go forward? If no, sack him now and give it to Ruud until a permanent replacement is found.

No point giving him more time if he is not the right manager to bring us forward. They can't keep having the excuse that they can't find a suitable manager and hence fall back to ETH again. FFS.
Depends on whether they trust RVN. We as fans have basically zero knowledge of how he’s performing at the club and how the players feel about him. If they feel that RVN wouldn’t improve things, even in the short term, then there’s nothing gained by sacking ETH before we have a replacement in mind.

Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid and Carlo Ancelotti to finish his career at Man Utd?

Liverpool, Chelsea and I think some other clubs had to get creative lately, because the manager market is generally difficult. It's not that easy to find a manager who is promising, yet fits the squad and the direction the club wants to go in PLUS doesn't mind working under a board with their own ideas of transfers and style of play.

Depends on whether they trust RVN. We as fans have basically zero knowledge of how he’s performing at the club and how the players feel about him. If they feel that RVN wouldn’t improve things, even in the short term, then there’s nothing gained by sacking ETH before we have a replacement in mind.

Or give it to other interim manager? Instead of keeping someone so out of his depth. 14th, negative GD and terrible style of play

Or give it to other interim manager? Instead of keeping someone so out of his depth. 14th, negative GD and terrible style of play
This assumes that there is a manager who is a) free and willing b) will have an immediate impact and c) is a good long term choice too or is happy to get ditched after 7 months. The list of people that fit all those criteria is not particularly long.

It’s not so easy to get a manager who is midseason with another team. I can see us go for one of the available ones (Southgate, Potter, Tuchel) or we go with an interim until the summer.

It’s also possible we stick with Ten Hag if results improve.

It’s not so easy to get a manager who is midseason with another team. I can see us go for one of the available ones (Southgate, Potter, Tuchel) or we go with an interim until the summer.

It’s also possible we stick with Ten Hag if results improve.

I think you could easily get most managers who are at mid-table clubs - e.g. Silva, Frank, McKenna - but would probably struggle with higher profile managers who may be with stronger clubs.

If we are top half by Christmas, ten Hag will get full season I'm sure. If we finish in top 7-8, he will get next Summer and beginning of next season at least (until Christmas) to see whether he can get us closer to top 4.

This assumes that there is a manager who is a) free and willing b) will have an immediate impact and c) is a good long term choice too or is happy to get ditched after 7 months. The list of people that fit all those criteria is not particularly long.

There is a reason why you and me are not the CEO, DOF or Technical Director being paid millions of pounds per year and being called best in class. That is exactly their main job to get it right.

We need a manager who;
- Is tactically astute and flexible.
- Has a reputation for shrewd signings and developing young talent.
- Has a strong charismatic personality and can control the dressing room.

Give it to Carrick as interim and then get Inzaghi or De Zerbi in the summer.

I think you could easily get most managers who are at mid-table clubs - e.g. Silva, Frank, McKenna - but would probably struggle with higher profile managers who may be with stronger clubs.

If we are top half by Christmas, ten Hag will get full season I'm sure. If we finish in top 7-8, he will get next Summer and beginning of next season at least (until Christmas) to see whether he can get us closer to top 4.
I don't think the board will be financially willing to release Ten Hag then pay compensation to bring an already employed manager in. The pay off to ETH is the only thing keeping him here at this point.

I don't think the board will be financially willing to release Ten Hag then pay compensation to bring an already employed manager in. The pay off to ETH is the only thing keeping him here at this point.
I'm really hoping relatively small amounts involved in changing a manager are not going to affect their decision making.

That's such a horrible take and does show how happy we are to accept low standards now. If Ten Hag finishes top 8 he will get a shiny new contract and more millions.

If that happened we deserve to just fold as a club we would be dead

I'm really hoping relatively small amounts involved in changing a manager are not going to affect their decision making.
Naive. I’m pretty sure they’d rather keep ETH despite the dross than to pay him this 10m. There’s no pressure whatsoever on the structure and there won’t be even if we finish in the bottom half of the table. It’s an easy keep for them

Considering having the wrong manager essentially makes hundreds of millions worth of players a waste you would hope so.

You don't spend millions hiring an orchestra then bring in a year 2 music teacher to conduct because it'll save a few quid.

There is a reason why you and me are not the CEO, DOF or Technical Director being paid millions of pounds per year and being called best in class. That is exactly their main job to get it right.
Kind of a cop out answer. No matter how much you get paid, it doesn't make the perfect manager appear out of nowhere.

That's such a horrible take and does show how happy we are to accept low standards now. If Ten Hag finishes top 8 he will get a shiny new contract and more millions.

I don’t think it’s a horrible take, it’s realistic assessment of the situation. There’s not much to suggest ten Hag gets the sack if we finish 8 and there’s already a lot of evidence his play style, results and his achievements are satisfying enough for the hierarchy

Unless it means we're getting one more year of Ten Hag because we're waiting for Southgate...

That's getting as boring now as we can't sack Ten Hag because it will cost 17 million when it will cost more to miss the top four.

Southgate will never manage United, we have never considered it and won't

Naive. I’m pretty sure they’d rather keep ETH despite the dross than to pay him this 10m. There’s no pressure whatsoever on the structure and there won’t be even if we finish in the bottom half of the table. It’s an easy keep for them
That's really stupid though. We are happy enough to spend 600m on players in 3 years but will not spend a minor amount to replace a manager that is clearly underperforming.

It's not what I want to happen, it's what I think will happen. I don't think we are aiming particularly highly and will be content to sit where we are for the next few years. It's definitely the feeling I get from the board extending his contract after last season and not really reacting to our underperformance in the two months of this season so far. I think for some reason he's won them over and they will trust him for a foreseeable future.

Would I be happy for us to linger between 6th and 10th for the next 2-3 years? Of course not, in fact I'd even hate to settle for simply 4th. But I think INEOS are not actually that adverse to that idea.

With the cost-cutting drive we're in, I can't see us buying any head coach and all of their staff out of their contracts, along with the incumbent and anyone who would like to go with him.

I can see you being right about Ten Hag, although the situation looks a bit similar to Ole's final weeks. He limped through past the corresponding international break only to have a pair of horrible results that finally killed him off.

That's really stupid though. We are happy enough to spend 600m on players in 3 years but will not spend a minor amount to replace a manager that is clearly underperforming.
Underperforming in mine and your eyes, but not in the eyes of the hierarchy. I fully agree with you that it's stupid, but for them, it really makes sense to keep EtH unless he implodes completely and gets us in the relegation zone. The fans are happy with the current progress and result under EtH, there are no protests and no pressure on the hierarchy, and the pundits and former players on the telly ensure that any criticism against EtH is being spun as 'stupid' or 'not being a proper red'. There's not much they can gain by firing EtH, because with the standards so low it doesn't make a big difference if we finish 8th-10th or 3rd.

Underperforming in mine and your eyes, but not in the eyes of the hierarchy. I fully agree with you that it's stupid, but for them, it really makes sense to keep EtH unless he implodes completely and gets us in the relegation zone. The fans are happy with the current progress and result under EtH, there are no protests and no pressure on the hierarchy, and the pundits and former players on the telly ensure that any criticism against EtH is being spun as 'stupid' or 'not being a proper red'. There's not much they can gain by firing EtH, because with the standards so low it doesn't make a big difference if we finish 8th-10th or 3rd.
This I actually agree with. I think they are OK with performance and are not expecting much more than a top half finish, maybe Europe qualification. That's why I'm of the view that their decision is not financially motivated but more performance driven.

It's not what I want to happen, it's what I think will happen. I don't think we are aiming particularly highly and will be content to sit where we are for the next few years. It's definitely the feeling I get from the board extending his contract after last season and not really reacting to our underperformance in the two months of this season so far. I think for some reason he's won them over and they will trust him for a foreseeable future.

Would I be happy for us to linger between 6th and 10th for the next 2-3 years? Of course not, in fact I'd even hate to settle for simply 4th. But I think INEOS are not actually that adverse to that idea.
With this I agree 100%

Ancelotti has said he plans on retiring when he leaves Real.
Maybe SJR could make him reconsider somehow. 4-5 years at Man Utd as the best paid manager in the world would top off his amazing career imo.

ETH probably leaving in November, Ruud as interim for 6 months to give him a try and then Ancelotti.

Simone Inzaghi is the kind of manager Chelsea used to appoint under Roman back then. A youngish with experience and winning mentality but yet to reach the pinnacle of their career. Hes won Serie A, Coppa Italia, reached CL final. Hes waiting for a true big club (i mean rich) to move upward considering at Inter he had to make do with rejects or freebies.

Dont think you can convince any world class manager to manage us in championship next season.
Other than Jose (who while young was coming off a CL win) and the other Portuguese guy (name escapes me - didn't do a great job), what other up-and-coming managers did Abramovich sign? Not try to sound sarcastic - genuinely wondering if I've missed someone (aging, dodgy memory, etc.)

Other than Jose (who while young was coming off a CL win) and the other Portuguese guy (name escapes me - didn't do a great job), what other up-and-coming managers did Abramovich sign? Not try to sound sarcastic - genuinely wondering if I've missed someone (aging, dodgy memory, etc.)
Villas-Boas was certainly a very hot property. Di Matteo was also quite 'up-and-coming' and over a decade younger than EtH when we signed him. Lampard was terrible, but also counts in the 'up-and-coming' category