Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 45 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 170 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 131 13.2%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.3%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 63 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I would have taken him in the summer. He extended his contract, which means that more compensation would be required. 21 months left to run on it.
Yeah, not changing manager in summer was bad. It is not good timing at all to try and change the manager now.

Does Tuchel have a set style of play? If so what is it. I’ve read up that he takes game by game and works out how the opposition plays to determine how his teams play.
As i see it; his teams dominate weaker teams with possession and pressing. So in most of games his setup is attacking. In bigger games comes his tactical knowledge which i love to see in managers. Yes, he adapts to opposition but not in a way to play defensive and play on counters.
I liked his games against City. Against him City didn't have their usual 60-70% possession and 20 shots.

That is my take of course. Bayern, Dortmund or Celski fans know way better than me about this.

Ten Hag was the most popular choice and rightly so. He seemed like the best candidate to hire at the time. Let's not forget that.
After more than two years, we can say it has not worked out obviously (while 10 months in it looked very much like it would work out), However a manager not working out is not some catastrophic failure of the club. It's just a normal thing to correct. It also doesn't necessarily mean the decision was wrong at the time.
Not judging it one bit, since I was at the forefront of wanting ETH here. However, after reflecting on it, I came to the conclusion that we were set up to fail. The reason for it is we didn't have the right profile players to suit ETH's play style. And even right now, we are still a side with a mish mash of different players suited for different play style. I wrote more about it here:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the...g-to-fit-square-pegs-into-round-holes.485009/

It is only October. Hire Tuchel now and watch how we are winning EL easily. Unbelievable what Ineos is doing. After 2 years of him being unable to implement style of play they are still sticking with ETH when it is obvious that he is not solution. While top class manager in his prime is available.

I am desperate for Tuchel because, unlike Jose or Lvg before him, he is not in decline or past his best. Guy is in his prime with proven record of winning stuff and he is tactician type manager. What is there to not like?
It's funny, because some of the Chelsea and now Bayern fans are voicing the exact opposite. Most of them think that he is on a downward spiral, especially now that Kompany has Bayern playing way better than Tuchel could.

Off the top of my head, you’ve got Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Henry, Neville who all got jobs before 40 and had some a bit of early success but you’d want them no where near United. That list will be far bigger than the successes
Not to disregard anyone due to their nationality, but 4/5 of these are English - that recently really don’t make good managers, for whatever reason - and 5/5 come from the same Premier League era. Also - it’s usually the very good but not spectacular midfielder or defender (Xavi Alonso, Pep, Ancelotti, Arteta) that becomes a great manager, rarely a legendary striker.

As i see it; his teams dominate weaker teams with possession and pressing. So in most of games his setup is attacking. In bigger games comes his tactical knowledge which i love to see in managers. Yes, he adapts to opposition but not in a way to play defensive and play on counters.
I liked his games against City. Against him City didn't have their usual 60-70% possession and 20 shots.

That is my take of course. Bayern, Dortmund or Celski fans know way better than me about this.
Exactly... There is this myth that Tuchel played boring football but He didn't. He dominated weaker opposition while he would adapt to the opposition in big games (which makes sense when you see his record in cup competitions). My Dad, brother and Friends are all Chelsea fans (not shocking in my side of the world) and I watch alot of Chelsea games for the banter. His focus on keeping the ball and creating high quality chances against weak opposition was clear and even against strong opposition he didn't iust concede possession even though he adopted more pragmatic approach.

The most impressive thing about him IMO is his handling of individual players. He was strict but fair in his dealings with players. It's why from Dortmund to PSG to Chelsea his issues have always been with the board and not in the dressing room. Even Bayern last season he didn't lose the dressing room despite the underperformance.

Hiring interim while team is still in all competitions and with top 4 wide open would be extremely stupid move.
It’s not stupid if the permanent manager the club want to hire is not available or willing to come during the season.

I explained that’s he far too much in decline but we need that type of coach right now because of how far we’ve fallen , losing 35-40% of your games is a bad habit to get into and unfortunately ETH has got this current United side into that Bad Habit!

Correct. He’s very tactically flexible. I didn’t love watching his Chelsea side but there’s no doubt he got the very best out of that personnel considering how crap that forward line was. He realized it so he stacked the midfield and let James and Alonso/ Chillwell have full license in the final third to support the front line.

Correct. He’s very tactically flexible. I didn’t love watching his Chelsea side but there’s no doubt he got the very best out of that personnel considering how crap that forward line was. He realized it so he stacked the midfield and let James and Alonso/ Chillwell have full license in the final third to support the front line.
I think he also had 2 Lbs ( Maz and Davies) playing last season against Real to nullify their attack.. which had worked ..
Davies got the goal..if I remember correctly

We need someone who is going to be able to come in and evolve the team and evolve with them. The idea of another Ten Hag who will come in and slap the instruction manuel on the table and embark on narrow, prescriptive style of play just fills me with dread.

It's why I think age is important and it should be a younger manager not someone already sold on there only being one correct way to play football. Young, ambitions, strong personality, pragmatic, track record of developing players - for me at this stage is more important than how many trophies he's won in the past.

Not to disregard anyone due to their nationality, but 4/5 of these are English - that recently really don’t make good managers, for whatever reason - and 5/5 come from the same Premier League era. Also - it’s usually the very good but not spectacular midfielder or defender (Xavi Alonso, Pep, Ancelotti, Arteta) that becomes a great manager, rarely a legendary striker.
Agree but there’s definitely going to be examples of other nationalities, it’s just easier for me to think of English ones. Cannavaro tried management I believe. Gattuso hasn’t lived up to expectations but has started this season well with Hajduk.

ETH after match comments are really what will get him the sack, he doesnt seem to see how far behind we are. I will really hate it if INEOS doenst act this window and bin him

ETH after match comments are really what will get him the sack, he doesnt seem to see how far behind we are. I will really hate it if INEOS doenst act this window and bin him
His delusion is very offputting. He seems to believe he has an unlimited amount of time to get it right and lacks any accountability for anything that goes wrong

Maybe we should just take a sabbatical. Take a year to really figure it all out. If ever a club needed to just stop, breathe, and have a think, it’s Man Utd right now.
Which is my way of saying I don’t fancy any of these managers to make a difference.

It’s not stupid if the permanent manager the club want to hire is not available or willing to come during the season.

This feels familiar. I could have sworn I have seen this before. How did that work out again?

Feel like I'm in a small number who doesn't think we should look at him at all.

Never been too impressed by the football Brentford or himself as a manager yet he always seems to get mentioned.

Would prefer guys like Silva, Potter (even though I don't want him either) much more than him.

So you want the club to make a permanent hire that isn't top of their list?

Who is on top? Just do what every other company does when it hires a manager or minor director, hire the best one available and boot them if they aren't good enough. The right guy doesn't exist or is never available.

For the poll, is there any point in having someone like Xabi Alonso there? We know he's not coming here. We also know Nagelsmann is going to be with Germany till 2026.

So of the realistic options, for now I'd take Tuchel. Long term is different.

I just have this feeling that it doesn't matter who we get, my theory is that player power is far to great in the squad so unless it's guardiola coming it's doomed from the start. But hopefully we will get a new manager who can lift the mood abit.

I think RVN was allways plan B for this situation .. if they are going for a permanent solution the realistic options are few…

I just have this feeling that it doesn't matter who we get, my theory is that player power is far to great in the squad so unless it's guardiola coming it's doomed from the start. But hopefully we will get a new manager who can lift the mood abit.
How is this still the prevailing narrative when we've seen the manager again be judge, jury and executioner for the majority of his time here?

Everybody who crossed him during his time here have been sent packing entirely and he has had total control and final decision on who he's kept in our out of the squad. It's never once been player controlled or influenced. We would've missed out on the ugly public divorces of Ronaldo and Sancho if player power was truly king at the club and Casemiro wouldn't be relegated to bench.

The chance of it getting worse is small. Not impossible, but we'd literally have to be fighting relegation for it to be worse than what has been happening over the last half a season.

Just to put in in context, in the last 19 PL games (half a season) we've been averaging 1.21 points per game. Rangnick, who everyone says was incredibly bad, averaged 1.54 in his 24 PL games. Out of the other 19 managers just in the PL at the moment, how many of them do you think would do worse with this group of players?
He meant being worse in the long term. A manager to steady the ship and maybe get a Europa League spot but then drop off the following season. Versus nothing this season, then a top manager coming in to build a team that can compete for the league in the next 2-3 years. As a neutral I will go with the second option. But football fans are too sentimental and will put the pressure on INEOS to hire whoever because they hate Ten Hag so much now.

Yeah that should be the only reason for appointing an interim at this stage of season