Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 45 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 170 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 131 13.2%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.3%
  • Xavi

Votes: 26 2.6%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 63 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
My problem with this is just how far can we fall until we hit the stage of never being able to attract a suitable replacement? The pulling power of Man Utd only last up to a point. None of the ‘suggested names’ are likely to entertain us if we are in the Championship - or even fighting relegation.

Big contract with deep resources to play with, proper football structure and less pressure to succeed. A manager would be guaranteed time, too.

Think about were Villa sat when Emery was appointed, or Ancelotti joining Everton. Bielsa going to Leeds, even.

I think this is spot on. Ten Hag is a lame duck. This is similar to what was happening towards the end of Mourinho's and Ole's time as managers. However, I hope this time we take note of the players who are, subconsciously or not, not putting in the effort. Working hard should be the least expected thing out of a United player.
Another example of player insubordination going rewarded.

Furthermore, a dud replacement may precipitate relegation faster than EtH. Especially around players who know they rule the roost (they'll agitate to leave if we go down).

You sack EtH now you vindicate the players. However, and herein lies the rub, who need another overhaul to remove those on the naughty list.

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
The Alonso option is pointless, might as well throw in Klopp too. If he turned down Liverpool no chance he goes for us, more so when he's a shoe in for the Madrid job.
He’s a manager now not a football player. To think this Spanish guy has some sort of tribalism that he wouldn’t want to manage the biggest club in England because he had a stint at our rivals is just weird.

Steven Gerrard i understand, Xabi Alonso it’s just not the same at all.

The only question is why would he want to come here, seeing how we still seem to like leaving managers out to dry.

The Alonso option is pointless, might as well throw in Klopp too. If he turned down Liverpool no chance he goes for us, more so when he's a shoe in for the Madrid job.

It sure is unlikely but I don't think it's impossible.

No one would have seen Guardiola manage City back in the day & whilst Guardiola didn't have any playing rivalry Vs City like Xabi Alonso does to United -

It does show what Money can do.

Are we really the biggest team in the world? Definitely not on the pitch.

Financially, maybe? If we act like the richest club in the world nothing is impossible - we have arguably snatched the best football directors etc from our rivals.

Give Xabi Alonso 1.5 × the wages Real Madrid offer & we can see if he prefers his playing history over Financial benefits to him & his family.

He’s a manager now not a football player. To think this Spanish guy has some sort of tribalism that he wouldn’t want to manage the biggest club in England because he had a stint at our rivals is just weird.

Steven Gerrard i understand, Xabi Alonso it’s just not the same at all.

The only question is why would he want to come here, seeing how we still seem to like leaving managers out to dry.
We're literally doing the opposite of that. We keep them in a job under circumstances where no other club would.

The question is why would a talented young manager risk his reputation on a move to United in chaos when already managing in the Champions League at a settled club?

I'm not inspired by the Tuchel choice at all, particularly when you see what Kompany has done at Bayern this year.

The more I look at this list, the more I think it's probably time we try something a bit more out there and risky. You see Kompany and Maresca's success from championship clubs last year, is there anyone out there that could do the same? You're basically looking for less heralded managers that have a clear style of play that they could implement more successfully with better players.

Iraola, Marco Silva, Thomas Frank would all fit that and are worth a look. McKenna too if we can convince him to leave mid-way through the season. I'd rather that than just repeat the cycle of ageing "reputation" managers.

You look abroad... the risky but interesting options: Fabregas, Amorim, Will Still are all worth a look. And I think we probably wouldn't go straight back to the Eredivise but Peter Bosz has definitely established a clear style of play at PSV.

There's some interesting names banded around here. Which of these managers do we actually think would want to work here though?

Currently we have a squad of players ranging from 'very poor' to 'good' players with nothing truly exceptional besides some promising young players.

We are also skint, and spent loads of money on new players this summer, further restricting a new manager while also seemingly adding very little to the squad.

So what's the incentive for an ambitious manager to come here? Hopefully get top 4 in 25/26 season? Maybe win an FA cup at some point? Probably end up getting sacked when the same old players down tools after you ask them to actually run and make an effort?

Goldbridge is right though. MEN don't have an "in" anymore. It's all Ornstein and Whitwell.

This group of players deserve Conte

Never been a fan of his but I’d genuinely love to see him absolutely laying into these players.

Could you imagine his annihilation of this squad over perceived lack of effort or not being committed to a tackle. It would be an absolute joy to watch

Seriously though. I’ve given up on expecting anything positive from a new manager after Moyes, Giggs, VanGaal, Mourinho, Ole, Carrick, Rangnick, ETH

The absolute bottom line with regards to any new manager appointment now is we cannot afford a full rebuild of the playing squad.

Whoever we get in needs to be able to pitch to the directors how they will get a tune out of the current squad and how they want them to play. Yes we can talk about 1 or 2 out, 1 or 2 in, but we have spent an absolute fortune assembling this squad, who CANNOT be as bad as is being shown.

The reality is, someone like Zirkzee if they were at liverpool city or arsenal would look a different level of player. This isnt to say there are still some questionable players but whats done is done, most are here on large contracts and they were purchased for a reason, we cant get a new manager in and start the cycle again.

Never been a fan of his but I’d genuinely love to see him absolutely laying into these players.

Could you imagine his annihilation of this squad over perceived lack of effort or not being committed to a tackle. It would be an absolute joy to watch

Seriously though. I’ve given up on expecting anything positive from a new manager after Moyes, Giggs, VanGaal, Mourinho, Ole, Carrick, Rangnick, ETH
This myth that players do not work hard enough needs to die.
They work hard, but the idiocy of the manager persistence of a tactic that doesn't work would sapped any mental strength these players have

My problem with this is just how far can we fall until we hit the stage of never being able to attract a suitable replacement? The pulling power of Man Utd only last up to a point. None of the ‘suggested names’ are likely to entertain us if we are in the Championship - or even fighting relegation.
I don't think our pulling power will fade anytime soon. That's not how this Sport operates.

The reality is that top clubs that have a huge fan base and a strong financial muscle are very limited, for both managers and players. The chance to join a top club will always be a huge opportunity financially and career wise as well. The fact that we're currently terrible won't change that. A good manager will always back himself to be the one making us successful if backed properly.

Go all out for Nagelsmann

Disclipned, organises his teams well and plays football that's pleasing on the eye
I’d go for Nagelsmann, but I am pretty sure on the whole the caf would not like his style. It’s ‘suicidal’ as well.

I’ve scanned previous threads of van Gaal, Mourinho, Ole and ETH. In each of those threads there was close to an identical pattern of fan emotions: Newfound optimism to hope peppered with occasional highs/big wins/cups to burbling disgruntlement to frustration to borderline disdain.

I’m not a betting man but you could almost predict what the fate of the new manager will be based on the above script.

Never really understood the Frank links. I can respect the work he's done at Brentford and he strikes me as a very modern manager who fits in with their data led approach to football. But their style on the pitch always seemed ultra-pragmatic. Would he able to coach a team to get the kind of exciting football that our club should be building towards?

The manager should be told the budget for next 12 months is zero. Lets get someone in who can actually coach the players into form. no more of this shiny new toys nonsense. were not competing with City / Madrid etc, not yet anyway. Lets at least beat the teams we should be beating, and then put up a fight against the better ones.

If we appoint Frank then you should imagine we will need to also sign Rico Henry, Pinnock, Jensen, Janelt, Mbeumo and Wissa.

If we appoint Frank then you should imagine we will need to also sign Rico Henry, Pinnock, Jensen, Janelt, Mbeumo and Wissa.
Good joke, would be funnier if a few of them didn't walk straight into our team.

Good joke, would be funnier if a few of them didn't walk straight into our team.
I'd take Mbeumo and I reckon Wissa is probably better than Hojlund too. Maybe Rico Henry at left back.

I'd take Frank. That crazy Danish feck scares the pants off me - as a player I wouldn't know if he was going to hug me or rip my eyes out. Bit of Scandi chaos.

I'm not inspired by the Tuchel choice at all, particularly when you see what Kompany has done at Bayern this year.

The more I look at this list, the more I think it's probably time we try something a bit more out there and risky. You see Kompany and Maresca's success from championship clubs last year, is there anyone out there that could do the same? You're basically looking for less heralded managers that have a clear style of play that they could implement more successfully with better players.

Iraola, Marco Silva, Thomas Frank would all fit that and are worth a look. McKenna too if we can convince him to leave mid-way through the season. I'd rather that than just repeat the cycle of ageing "reputation" managers.

You look abroad... the risky but interesting options: Fabregas, Amorim, Will Still are all worth a look. And I think we probably wouldn't go straight back to the Eredivise but Peter Bosz has definitely established a clear style of play at PSV.
What has Kompany done at Bayern to warrant that praise? They’ve drawn or lost against any decent side they’ve played this season by the looks of it. They played worse than we did at Villa park so I’d say it’s very early days for him.

It would be a massive risk to bring in a manager who’s not been tested at a high level. Fabregas at least has experience as a player of being in top dressing rooms with big players. Will Still is just a mad shout. Tactics are one thing, but the vast majority of managers are trying to implement modern tactics. No one would have looked at that Ajax side and said three season in that Ten Hag would be struggling tactically at United. He’s not been able to communicate what he’s trying to do or get the players to buy in.

With this dressing room, I think the new manager will have to command respect and be a winner. It’s no surprise to me that the best periods since Fergie have come under managers who weren’t over complicating the tactics but were able to communicate and lead well.

What has Kompany done at Bayern to warrant that praise? They’ve drawn or lost against any decent side they’ve played this season by the looks of it. They played worse than we did at Villa park so I’d say it’s very early days for him.

It would be a massive risk to bring in a manager who’s not been tested at a high level. Fabregas at least has experience as a player of being in top dressing rooms with big players. Will Still is just a mad shout. Tactics are one thing, but the vast majority of managers are trying to implement modern tactics. No one would have looked at that Ajax side and said three season in that Ten Hag would be struggling tactically at United. He’s not been able to communicate what he’s trying to do or get the players to buy in.

With this dressing room, I think the new manager will have to command respect and be a winner. It’s no surprise to me that the best periods since Fergie have come under managers who weren’t over complicating the tactics but were able to communicate and lead well.
Bayern were the better team vs Villa. Emi Martínez had an outstanding game and Durán scored a brilliant goal. They had 70% possession and an xG of 1.55 compared to Villa's 0.40. Bayern had 17 shots.

Bayern held Leverkusen to just 0.06 xG a few days prior. Leverkusen are never that poor. They completely dominated them. Just didn't get the result that they deserved.

But anyway, I think Tuchel is a very good manager. He's had 1 bad season as a manager compared to multiple successful ones.

Again, I'm not saying we *should* hire these people, and I agree with what you said about people like Still, just that we should at least be considering slightly more outside the box options.

Bayern have been utterly dominant so far this season, including probably the most impressive performance of the season of any team I've seen in their game against Leverkusen. It's still too early to be making big judgements but they look very good.

Again, I'm not saying we *should* hire these people, and I agree with what you said about people like Still, just that we should at least be considering slightly more outside the box options.

Bayern have been utterly dominant so far this season, including probably the most impressive performance of the season of any team I've seen in their game against Leverkusen. It's still too early to be making big judgements but they look very good.
They won't win the CL.. they will win the league ..
Pretty normal to what every manager has done it ( except Tuchel last season)

Conte’s hair piece would fly off in rage the first time Rashford half arses it back. He would lose his voice the first game.

Bayern were the better team vs Villa. Emi Martínez had an outstanding game and Durán scored a brilliant goal. They had 70% possession and an xG of 1.55 compared to Villa's 0.40. Bayern had 17 shots.

Bayern held Leverkusen to just 0.06 xG a few days prior. Leverkusen are never that poor. They completely dominated them. Just didn't get the result that they deserved.

But anyway, I think Tuchel is a very good manager. He's had 1 bad season as a manager compared to multiple successful ones.
No doubt Martinez played well but I don’t think an xG of 1.55 is much to get giddy about, against a team who are really inexperienced at that level. We saw Kompany’s Burnley side try to dominate the ball in similar ways, fair enough he has better players now so I’m sure that will help. Villa also had a goal ruled out for a marginal offside which doesn’t count on their xG. Bayern possibly fortunate to keep 11 men on the pitch in the first half, which was a direct consequence of trying to push high and play Watkins 1v1. It does play right into what Emery wants.

The Bayern players have been playing a modern style for years now so we’ll wait and see how well Kompany can do in the medium term before making claims like he’s been enough of our success to model our next manager on.

They won't win the CL.. they will win the league ..
Pretty normal to what every manager has done it ( except Tuchel last season)
They played against three strong teams this season and got two draws (Frankfurt and Leverkusen) and one loss (Aston Villa). If that continues it might not be enough to even win the league (it could, but it might not).