Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 45 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 170 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 131 13.2%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.3%
  • Xavi

Votes: 26 2.6%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 63 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I think he was the out and out favorite. He said all the right things, his Ajax played a style that would dovetail with the United "style", he was young, he was a serious football head.

And he broke our hearts!

He was 52.

I think that slipped under the radar a bit at the time. A guy supposed to be the next big think in management but was older than Pep with a couple of seasons at Ajax as the only serious credentials.

Last edited:
Xabi Alonso for me, get him in if there's a chance.

Why 2030? As opposed to say 2028? What can be done in 6 years that can't in 4 years?

Just an observation, I don’t think our squad is as bad as made out I think we have a very good core but we have to move on from Rashford and Bruno I feel to really compete unfortunately.

If we sack EtH, we need the replacement installed asap, not an under-qualified assistant interim to stem the tide. I include supposed full-time managers like potter, here.

If they can't get one then do not sack ten Hag.

I know it's awful but hire some idiot and it can and will get worse.
The chance of it getting worse is small. Not impossible, but we'd literally have to be fighting relegation for it to be worse than what has been happening over the last half a season.

Just to put in in context, in the last 19 PL games (half a season) we've been averaging 1.21 points per game. Rangnick, who everyone says was incredibly bad, averaged 1.54 in his 24 PL games. Out of the other 19 managers just in the PL at the moment, how many of them do you think would do worse with this group of players?

He was 52.

I think that slipped under the radar a bit at the time. A guy supposed to be the next big think in management but was older than Pep with a couple of seasons at Ajax as the only serious credentials.

Certainly a red flag in hindsight, not to mention the interview he had with Tottenham and their omission of him being the coach slipping under the radar likely a contributing factor to him not inspiring the players whenever the team hits a rut.

Just an observation, I don’t think our squad is as bad as made out I think we have a very good core but we have to move on from Rashford and Bruno I feel to really compete unfortunately.

In 6 years time it won't just be Rashford and Bruno gone. The vast majority of the team will have moved on.

For the players who might still be here that's an awfully long time to be at Manchester United and not win a league.

I think the intention to win the Prem has to be much shorter than that.

While I think that, looking at tactics and style of play (or the lack thereof), Ten Hag is clearly incompetent, I also don't think things will dramatically improve until someone gets a grip on our recruitment.

Our squad is riddled with players who just can't be bothered, or don't have the passion and drive to play for United.

Further to this, where are our star players? Who are they?

We've lots of decent players, plenty of rubbish ones, but not a single top class player or world class one now that Bruno has lost it.

Who are our top players? Onana and Mazraoui at the moment! That's not exactly Haaland and De Bruyne is it?

Certainly a red flag in hindsight, not to mention the interview he had with Tottenham and their omission of him being the coach slipping under the radar likely a contributing factor to him not inspiring the players whenever the team hits a rut.

Yeah I think top managers, by 52, have fully proved themselves. In fact I'd say in the majority of cases their peak has likely already happened.

There are always exceptions but if a club is recruiting a 52 year old, it has to be one who has a rock solid, proven track record.

If there are unknowns(which there were)at that age something isn't right.

Go all out for Nagelsmann

Disclipned, organises his teams well and plays football that's pleasing on the eye

Wow, and given the options there, we probably made the right choice as fans. Best of a very average bunch.

Indeed.

And options wouldn't have been much better on paper this summer either. There's a reason Liverpool ended up with Slot, Chelsea with Maresca, Bayern with Kompany, etc. None of whom have CVs much if at all better than ETH's when we hired him.

It's not like the seasons surrounding SAF's departure, where managers like Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti and Mourinho were all on the move. There aren't that many obvious targets on the managerial market, so it comes down to how well you identify less obvious ones' ability to step up.

Indeed.

And options wouldn't have been much better on paper this summer either. There's a reason Liverpool ended up with Slot, Chelsea with Maresca, Bayern with Kompany, etc. None of whom have CVs much if at all better than ETH's when we hired him.

It's not like the seasons surrounding SAF's departure, where managers like Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti and Mourinho were all on the move. There aren't that many obvious targets on the managerial market, so it comes down to how well you identify less obvious ones' ability to step up.
We need to be in for the top young managers even if they have jobs currently. Nagelsmann and Alonso included. Out of the available ones Tuchel has to be an option but with his attitude and personality I'm not sure he's a fit for us.

I just hope they don't put RVN in charge for a long. I don't want Ole2.

I really don’t want Ruud to be interim as I don’t feel like much will change. We need to think outside the box

Think he’s safe for another few weeks unfortunately. It’s going to be an agonisingly slow process before they finally do what should be done and sack this fecking guy!

Outside the box was never his (RvN's) speciality
A million upticks, brother.

Spooked Noah laughing out loud at that one.

He’s going nowhere - managed to meet the expectations of not losing.

We shouldn't sack him without a suitable
replacement.

None procured as yet.

Interim manager is just continuity carnage.

Get a new coach lined up or we go on.

Yeah I think top managers, by 52, have fully proved themselves. In fact I'd say in the majority of cases their peak has likely already happened.

There are always exceptions but if a club is recruiting a 52 year old, it has to be one who has a rock solid, proven track record.

If there are unknowns(which there were)at that age something isn't right.
Kieran McKenna then?

While I think that, looking at tactics and style of play (or the lack thereof), Ten Hag is clearly incompetent, I also don't think things will dramatically improve until someone gets a grip on our recruitment.

Our squad is riddled with players who just can't be bothered, or don't have the passion and drive to play for United.

Further to this, where are our star players? Who are they?

We've lots of decent players, plenty of rubbish ones, but not a single top class player or world class one now that Bruno has lost it.

Who are our top players? Onana and Mazraoui at the moment! That's not exactly Haaland and De Bruyne is it?
I think our squad "can't be bothered" because they know what Ten Hag is asking them to do doesn't work and hasn't worked. Ten Hag is asking them to play the donut formation suicide ball with the hopes of recovering the ball high up the pitch immediately after a turnover, and it doesn't work at this level. They run themselves into an injury list a mile long by following these instructions, but as mentioned elsewhere, we don't have any finishers who can make that hard graft pay off. We have Bruno skying shots, Garnacho making the wrong pass, Zirkzee and Hojlund... the less said the better. Playing in a team like that is dispiriting, especially now as they are hearing it from the match-going fans now too.

A million upticks, brother.

Spooked Noah laughing out loud at that one.

We shouldn't sack him without a suitable
replacement.

None procured as yet.

Interim manager is just continuity carnage.

Get a new coach lined up or we go on.
My problem with this is just how far can we fall until we hit the stage of never being able to attract a suitable replacement? The pulling power of Man Utd only last up to a point. None of the ‘suggested names’ are likely to entertain us if we are in the Championship - or even fighting relegation.

I voted for Inzaghi. I liked the look of him before the summer, he’s done a fantastic job of bringing Inter back. I appreciate that he has a good thing going at Inter and might not fancy a move to the premier league.

After that I’m torn between Tuchel and Amorim. Tuchel has the clout to manage United and he’s a top coach. Downside is that he’s a difficult personality and could be a very expensive sacking down the line when it inevitably falls apart.
Amorim is an exciting young manager who has done a great job of bringing Sporting back to the top of Portuguese football. Portuguese coaches tend to do well in the league and he has a bit of charisma Ten Hag lacks. Downside is that he is in the same position that Ten Hag was in prior to his signing, an upcoming coach who is looking for that step up, so by no means a success. Also, an expensive buyout from Sporting and I think I’ve heard that he’s the kind of coach who wants his own players only so not sure how he would fit in with our structure.

He's got to go and the new management team need to identify a suitable replacement, that's their fecking job.

I think our squad "can't be bothered" because they know what Ten Hag is asking them to do doesn't work and hasn't worked. Ten Hag is asking them to play the donut formation suicide ball with the hopes of recovering the ball high up the pitch immediately after a turnover, and it doesn't work at this level. They run themselves into an injury list a mile long by following these instructions, but as mentioned elsewhere, we don't have any finishers who can make that hard graft pay off. We have Bruno skying shots, Garnacho making the wrong pass, Zirkzee and Hojlund... the less said the better. Playing in a team like that is dispiriting, especially now as they are hearing it from the match-going fans now too.

I think this is spot on. Ten Hag is a lame duck. This is similar to what was happening towards the end of Mourinho's and Ole's time as managers. However, I hope this time we take note of the players who are, subconsciously or not, not putting in the effort. Working hard should be the least expected thing out of a United player.

The Alonso option is pointless, might as well throw in Klopp too. If he turned down Liverpool no chance he goes for us, more so when he's a shoe in for the Madrid job.