Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 44 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.4%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 168 17.0%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 132 13.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 169 17.1%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 62 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1) Nagelsmann
2) Iraola
3) Tuchel

In that order. Don't fancy any of the others, Anorim and Inzaghi are great coaches but I don't want us to become a three at the back team.

Work your way down this until you find someone willing to start immediately and work within our desired brief (not require more control). If that means Potter so be it but I would guess there's like 3 names before him who could be persuaded.

1. Alonso
2. Emery
3. Nagelsmann
4. Xavi
5. Allegri
6. Amorim
7. Inzaghi
9. Hoeneß
10. Potter

Alonso is just included cause he's in the thread list, I wouldn't actually bother making that phone call if I was in charge.

Last edited:
I voted Iraola. I have the feeling he would be immensely promising.
Though I would very much welcome Amorim and Inzaghi too.

Alonso is not a realistic option, and neither is Nagelsmann. We can forget about them.
I'm wary of Tuchel after how his Bayern time went.
Motta just went to Juve, not a realistic option either, and very much unproven at that.

Frank, Potter, Silva would be too much of a sideways move for my taste.

Hoeness is doing amazing at Stuttgart though I'd be sceptical if he is ready for the lion's cage that is the PL and the Man United job. He should go to a big German club first and confirm his success there.

McKenna, I don't think he is ready, though I would get happily and fully behind him if the club decided to take the leap of faith. Too risky a move for my taste though.

Question;
What were the Poll results for Erik becoming our manager when he initially came to Manchester?

Not too fussed about the Liverpool connection. Busby played for them and city.

If Madrid’s involved though, he’s gone.
It's more that he'd care more than we would. Alonso already turned down Liverpool and Bayern (two clubs in a better situation and that he played for before), he's not going to turn around and join us a couple months later.

Because manager talent “lags” 1-2 decades behind players. The current crop of up and coming managers were great players 10-20 years ago: Alonso, Xavi, Arteta, Inzaghi… 10-20 years ago France football was shit. They were shit after Zidane retired up until Euro 2016 (I’d say they were shit from 2002-2016 - WC 2006 was the old guard’s last dance). Zidane’ s generation produced decent managers in Deschamp, Blanc, and of course Zidane himself.

Xavi, Xabi, Arteta… all belong to the golden Spanish generation. 2008-2016 German football was very strong and Hoeness, Nagelsmann belong to that generation as well.

British managers are an odd case. But I dont think any of those managers (Potter/ Mckenna) are that good.

This is an interesting take. I never really thought about this

Question;
What were the Poll results for Erik becoming our manager when he initially came to Manchester?
Something like 85% where in favor of ETH or something like that. If I remember correctly at one point it was over 90%!

I didn't vote but your next manager is 100% going to be RVN if ten Hag is sacked in the next month or so.

He'll obviously get a go as interim and there's no other great candidates.

Reckon we'd get a huge new manager bounce.

I normally blame player quality/recruitment but this is the first time we can see a managers style is seriously holding us back.

As long as the new guy doesn't also play suicidal football we'd rapidly improve.

I didn't vote but your next manager is 100% going to be RVN if ten Hag is sacked in the next month or so.

He'll obviously get a go as interim and there's no other great candidates.
What would be the sense in that?
I like RVN but WTF has he done as a manager.
People forget that Erik was one of if not the hottest manager around when we secured his services.

I think realistically with the exception of Allegri and Silva I'd be pretty happy with this list.

I think the most important thing is we don't deify the manager though. It's entirely possible that all of them could fail and if it's clear that is going to happen after a year then we need to be willing to pull the plug on them before the situation gets worse and worse.

What would be the sense in that?
I like RVN but WTF has he done as a manager.
People forget that Erik was one of if not the hottest manager around when we secured his services.

Being "the hottest manager around" doesn't mean you're the best choice for this Manchester United. Not at all.

RVN will have interviewed with the bosses at Man United very recently when he got the job. None of them are stupid people, they knew when he was given the role that he's a natural fit to be interim.

Reactions: moses
Being "the hottest manager around" doesn't mean you're the best choice for this Manchester United. Not at all.

RVN will have interviewed with the bosses at Man United very recently when he got the job. None of them are stupid people, they knew when he was given the role that he's a natural fit to be interim.

Exactly. Also, while the first team manager may need changing there are a lot of other things in the background just put in place and still settling, so Ruud would be the least disruptive choice with that in mind. Unless there is a top notch manager ready to come in on a long deal RVN is a likely interim.

How 'stupid' they are remains to be seen.

Having the 'hottest football people around' doesn't mean you're the best choice for any Manchester United.

Results, dear lad, and nothing besides.

He is a natural to appease the fans for a short while because he was such a good player for us but that will only last for so long and he will have the same players at his disposal as Erik has.
It all comes down to how good a manager he is and he has no runs on the board in that regard.
Whatever happens will happen and with all the bullshit media ramping it up (ex players that could not manage a good shite) I hope the new structure prove themselves not to be reactionary to all this and make good footballing decisions.

Contrary to what people think on here, RvN wasn’t picked by the board, but by EtH himself. He definitely isn’t succeeding 10 Hag as manager long term.

In terms of realism, it'll be Ruud as interim until we can get one of our top 3 choices. I'm hoping our top 3 choices would be something like:
  1. Simone Inzaghi
  2. Ruben Amorim
  3. Kieren McKenna
Nagelsmann is great but he's at Germany til the world cup and we need a manager now, not in 2 years. Emery for me is great at the tier below clubs like Aston Villa where he can have them punch way above their weight, but isn't the guy for the top top club where the expectation isn't to be an underdog. Alonso and Thiago Motta aren't happening, no thank you to de zerbi, frank, feck no to Allegri. Tuchel I feel like the chance was in the summer and both parties chose not to continue, but given he's available now, maybe there is a chance. Not sure how I'd feel on that one. Think I'd prefer the top 3 above.

I already feel bad for the next manager, except if it is him who shall not be named.

I’m quite skeptical how does a new coach get the best out the squad. It can’t be the players. There’s been too many changes and no matter who plays we look the same.

I think under anyone else we should be better in defence, the midfield is my concern.

Options worry me:

Play Ugarte and Mainoo and drop Bruno for Erickson?
Is there enough legs?

Play Ugarte and Casemiro and try to shore us up, again is there enough legs?

Stay as we are? Hasn’t worked so far.

Play mount? Again hasn’t worked so far.

Swap Bruno to the bench and play Zirkzee and Hojlund?

We have to be better under someone else. No matter who we’ve had playing we’ve had no defensive stability under ETH.

He's talking about Rangnick.

He was fine for his first few months here, it was only the last two months of the season that it all went to shit.

Ah right. I've almost chopped Rangnick out of our history. I liked the guy and thought he had no chance from the start.

This now is a very different situation. We don't need massive surgery. Just a manager who will come in and sort the basics out. That alone makes a massive difference to this bunch of players.

By all accounts Ruud is already getting stressed at the idea. Bear in mind that he didn’t want to do it at PSV either, he knew that he wasn’t ready but was convinced to do so. Yea they finished 2nd with a trophy but the fans wanted him gone as it was chaos ball as well. Ruud resigned.
Not sure it’s such a sure thing as others are saying. Ruud may think I’m not getting involved in that.

By all accounts Ruud is already getting stressed at the idea. Bear in mind that he didn’t want to do it at PSV either, he knew that he wasn’t ready but was convinced to do so. Yea they finished 2nd with a trophy but the fans wanted him gone as it was chaos ball as well. Ruud resigned.
Not sure it’s such a sure thing as others are saying. Ruud may think I’m not getting involved in that.

And more to the point, Ruud was ten Hag's pick. It wasn't the executive team lining up someone who could do the job instead of ten Hag it was them backing ten Hag by giving him a bloke he wanted.

It's just fantasy stuff, he might do it for a game or two, but it isn't a long term plan.

Don’t you think he sort of knew he’s going to be the interim when ETH inevitably gets sacked the moment he signed for us?

Rene Hake has been a manager for much longer, so he might be the more likely to step into the role. Albeit Ruud's time at PSV was a bigger club than Hake has ever been at.

It's actually going to be interesting to see what happens to Ruud and Hake when we bring in a new manager. A lot of managers have their coaching staff already lined up who move with them.

For me consistently in the top four for now, with a view to challenging the PL before 2030 anything sooner is unrealistic in my book.

Plenty here advocate for McKenna he’s as much a risk and I reckon Tuchel is just a storm waiting to happen like a Mourinho type toxic storm.

Yeah that's a very valid concern about Tuchel, wouldn't mind Potter appointed now but certainly not relegation gate. I think those three plus maybe Allegri and Xavi are probably the only ones available now

Last edited:
Don’t you think he sort of knew he’s going to be the interim when ETH inevitably gets sacked the moment he signed for us?
That’s just a narrative dreamed up by some paper and bought into by you lot. There is no indication of such a plan. Like I said he didn’t want the PSV job (his words).

Work your way down this until you find someone willing to start immediately and work within our desired brief (not require more control). If that means Potter so be it but I would guess there's like 3 names before him who could be persuaded.

1. Alonso
2. Emery
3. Nagelsmann
4. Xavi
5. Allegri
6. Amorim
7. Inzaghi
9. Hoeneß
10. Potter

Alonso is just included cause he's in the thread list, I wouldn't actually bother making that phone call if I was in charge.

Probably Xavi at 4 but he is another who very much divides opinion on here, also due to the fact we beat him when he was Barca coach in Europa playoff

If it is Rudd and Hake combo, do they have enough experience and clout to get us climbing the table do we think? I’m not sure Rudd does but haven’t checked in the other dude - he’s kind of crept in under the radar.
Contrary to what people think on here, RvN wasn’t picked by the board, but by EtH himself. He definitely isn’t succeeding 10 Hag as manager long term.
you don’t know that. Why would the club allow him free rein to choose staff when they had earlier been looking to replace him. Like the transfers this summer, he would have had a say but not free run at them.

If we sack EtH, we need the replacement installed asap, not an under-qualified assistant interim to stem the tide. I include supposed full-time managers like potter, here.

If they can't get one then do not sack ten Hag.

I know it's awful but hire some idiot and it can and will get worse.

For me consistently in the top four for now, with a view to challenging the PL before 2030 anything sooner is unrealistic in my book.

Plenty here advocate for McKenna he’s as much a risk and I reckon Tuchel is just a storm waiting to happen like a Mourinho type toxic storm.

Why 2030? As opposed to say 2028? What can be done in 6 years that can't in 4 years?

Vote so far suggests what I'd expect - there isn't a name way out in front at the moment. I couldn't honestly pick who it would be but if I had to lay money on it, I think it will end up being Tuchel at this point.