Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 44 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.4%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 168 17.0%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 132 13.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 169 17.1%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 62 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Think I’d rather have Solskjaer back than hire half the names on that list and I don’t mean that as a dig on Ole.

It’s time for change. It’s time for Andre Villas-Boas.
AVB is the current president of FC Porto so a return to coaching for him is very unlikely, even for United..

While the 3-4-3 point to him as something diffefent, all signs point that Amorim can be Ten Hag 2.0. When his team is in the buildup phase, he uses the 3-1-6 formation(Casemiro as a single pivot anyone), and he let's his fullbacks bomb very high up the pitch. His pressing shape is very similar to ETH and as a result, more quality teams slash right through the middle with ease. And to make things even more eerie similar, just like ETH he has a high release clause(30 million vs ETH's 20 million)

It's easy to implement tactics like these in Portugal or the Netherlands, because the quality of the league outside the big 3 is rubbish, so you don't get punished enough. In the PL it's a different story as Ten Hag has shown us.

Here is a quick rundown on his tactics. Starts at 25:38.

Yes it is similar now I have seen that. We leave one in the middle attacking and he does as well. Maybe a no then.

I want us to be bold when picking the next manager. The likes of Pep, Klopp, Emery and Alonso have proven how essential a brilliant, modern manager is if you have serious aspirations in modern football.

Tuchel might be able to steady the ship but I doubt he will bring us back to the top. We need our own ‘Pep’ for that so I think we should go for whoever has the highest potential of the candidates.

That comes with a risk but so what? We don’t have much to lose and if the next manager fails, we sack him and start over until we find the right one. That’s what other clubs do successfully. I don’t see why we shouldn’t.

Who would be that "bold" pick then?

You know that's who ETH reminds me of most. He was a similarly inept idiot who kept playing a high line with a CB combination from Terry, Ivanovic, Cahill etc. That Chelsea team kept getting caught out time and again.

We are similar where we play with a slow midfield and defense, where the midfielders are too high and the defense is deeper than it should be.

The only difference between the situations is that Chelsea were quick to realise their mistake and gave Villas-boas his marching orders whereas we gave the keys of the Kingdom to ETH and allowed him to fill the squad with mediocrity worth gbp 600m+.

You get it!!

Not a fan of prolonged spells for substitute teachers, after the last time. Would rather pick from the limited pool of long term options willing to make an immediate start.

You know that's who ETH reminds me of most. He was a similarly inept idiot who kept playing a high line with a CB combination from Terry, Ivanovic, Cahill etc. That Chelsea team kept getting caught out time and again.

We are similar where we play with a slow midfield and defense, where the midfielders are too high and the defense is deeper than it should be.

The only difference between the situations is that Chelsea were quick to realise their mistake and gave Villas-boas his marching orders whereas we gave the keys of the Kingdom to ETH and allowed him to fill the squad with mediocrity worth gbp 600m+.
ETH to get into racing?!

Why interim manager? What do you even get with that?
Just go and hire whoever you want as future manager.
What if the manager they want is not available? A lot of managers don't like moving during a season and would prefer to see the season out with their current club and move in the summer.

What if the manager they want is not available? A lot of managers don't like moving during a season and would prefer to see the season out with their current club and move in the summer.
Season just started. Why lose whole season with interim? Interims are for situation when season is over (March or April).
If our favourite choice wants to stay in current club go for next one.

No point to lose whole season.

Season just started. Why lose whole season with interim? Interims are for situation when season is over (March or April).
If our favourite choice wants to stay in current club go for next one.

No point to lose whole season.
Yeah, no. We shouldn’t settle for a mediocre manager as a replacement for ten Hag.

Is it a coincidence that if you take out Amorim 95% of those managers are either German, Italian, Spanish or British? That made me wonder - how come France continuously have one of the biggest pools of young talent in the world - and thus seem to be great at developing players - but don’t have any world class managers? I guess you could name Zidane but he hasn’t coached in a long time and never seemed like a tactical mastermind either.

After looking into Hoeneß after a great post in a previous page, I’d be interested if he took over, from what I’ve seen Stuggart play some great football on limited resources.

Him/Amorin/Iraola

Are all intriguing.

Won't happen:
Roberto de Zerbi
Eddie Howe
Simone Inzaghi
Thiago Motta
Julian Nagelsmann
Xabi Alonso
Unai Emery

Bored to death:
Massimiliano Allegri
Thomas Tuchel

Not convinced it'd work:
Michael Carrick
Graham Potter
Ruud van Nistelrooy
Xavi
Kieran McKenna

Open to it:
Rúben Amorim
Thomas Frank
Sebastian Hoeneß
Andoni Iraola
Marco Silva

I don't think taking a punt on Frank/Silva/iraola would be the worst thing but I doubt they'd have us competing again. Maybe more along the lines of consistent top 4. At this point I'd much rather we cycle through managers, top 4 should be the bare minimum now a management structure is in place.

I think there is a non-zero chance we could convince Pep sometime in the next couple of years. Sure, this may be wishful thinking of a desperate supporter. And while I don't think this likely, crazier things have happened.
Probably a bigger chance of Ferguson coming out of retirement than Pep :lol:

After looking into Hoeneß after a great post in a previous page, I’d be interested if he took over, from what I’ve seen Stuggart play some great football on limited resources.
Hoeneß is at the stage Tuchel was at between managing Mainz in the EL and Dortmund in the CL, joining Utd would be an extremely foolish career move. He's still figuring out his 1st season in Europe and how to not let midweek CL affect domestic form. That's not the person to fix a broken leaky club filled with mercenaries happy to halfass the job and collect fat paychecks. Limited resources isn't the problem, it's more about finding a motivational gaffer, someone your overpaid players are willing to run through walls for.

Is it a coincidence that if you take out Amorim 95% of those managers are either German, Italian, Spanish or British? That made me wonder - how come France continuously have one of the biggest pools of young talent in the world - and thus seem to be great at developing players - but don’t have any world class managers? I guess you could name Zidane but he hasn’t coached in a long time and never seemed like a tactical mastermind either.
Because manager talent “lags” 1-2 decades behind players. The current crop of up and coming managers were great players 10-20 years ago: Alonso, Xavi, Arteta, Inzaghi… 10-20 years ago France football was shit. They were shit after Zidane retired up until Euro 2016 (I’d say they were shit from 2002-2016 - WC 2006 was the old guard’s last dance). Zidane’ s generation produced decent managers in Deschamp, Blanc, and of course Zidane himself.

Xavi, Xabi, Arteta… all belong to the golden Spanish generation. 2008-2016 German football was very strong and Hoeness, Nagelsmann belong to that generation as well.

British managers are an odd case. But I dont think any of those managers (Potter/ Mckenna) are that good.

surely Luis Enrique is a name should be on this list

We'd could never get Alonso, could we? The Liverpool connection and he's next in line after Ancelotti.
Not too fussed about the Liverpool connection. Busby played for them and city.

If Madrid’s involved though, he’s gone.

We winning tomorrow, by the way. You all fecking know it. And he's keeping his job.

Probably a bigger chance of Ferguson coming out of retirement than Pep :lol:

Hoeneß is at the stage Tuchel was at between managing Mainz in the EL and Dortmund in the CL, joining Utd would be an extremely foolish career move. He's still figuring out his 1st season in Europe and how to not let midweek CL affect domestic form. That's not the person to fix a broken leaky club filled with mercenaries happy to halfass the job and collect fat paychecks. Limited resources isn't the problem, it's more about finding a motivational gaffer, someone your overpaid players are willing to run through walls for.

I never said resources were the problem, I like how his team plays football and would like a manager to reflect that at our club, if some of the players can’t do that, get rid of them by whatever means necessary.

Don’t think they are all “overpaid mercenaries” either, sure there are a few on far too high wages compared to their ability, but at the same time we have some players with promise on reasonable deals going forward.