Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 18 1.8%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 104 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 46 4.6%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 130 13.0%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 64 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
We should get Ruben Amorim. 8 wins from 8 this year....

https://www.espn.com/soccer/team/results/_/id/2250/por.sporting_lisbon

Sporting have scored 25 and conceded 2 in the league from 7 games.

This team have downed tools for Ten Hag. Amorim's players will run through a brick wall for him.

Not sure why we are worried about 3 at the back? We have better center backs than we have full backs.
Amorim's a big risk. The standard outside of the big clubs in Portugal isn't very high.

I'd try Nagelsmann, see if he would leave his Germany job.

Second would be Ange, but we have to deal with Levy, which will prove tricky.

After that there is Tuchel, give or take two years before relationship broken down, then we move on to McKenna.

In my FM saves, United always goes with Marco Rose after sacking Ten Hag. Maybe there is something there.

Why would Nagelsmann quit German NT, it's probably his dream job.

Amorim's a big risk. The standard outside of the big clubs in Portugal isn't very high.

If his personality is right, which it is, that is half the battle.

This team needs a manager who they respect, fear and love in equal measure.

They hate Ten Hag and don't respect his tactics, decision making and excuses. He has all the personality of a wooden spoon.

I doubt managing a national team is the dream of anyone under 50.

I doubt we could get him but I wouldn't be totally shocked.
I agree with this. Nagelsman would be my top choice and I think the likes of ashworth, Berrada and Wilcox can sell the project given our squad is actually good and more balanced than we’ve had in quite some time.

If his personality is right, which it is, that is half the battle.

This team needs a manager who they respect, fear and love in equal measure.

They hate Ten Hag and don't respect his tactics, decision making and excuses. He has all the personality of a wooden spoon.
I'm not necessarily against it but it's exactly the same risk we took with ten Hag. The quality of the premier league is much higher.

We have to be ready to accept an appointment we don't like if it means getting rid of Ten Hag, someone like Southgate is a possibility.

I doubt managing a national team is the dream of anyone under 50.

I doubt we could get him but I wouldn't be totally shocked.
In this case it's a bit special. He has two little kids with his ex wife who lives in Munich, so if he wants to be part of their live he more or less has to live there (or close to it) as well. There are only two jobs that are big enough for him that give him that option: Bayern München and the German National team.

I agree with this. Nagelsman would be my top choice and I think the likes of ashworth, Berrada and Wilcox can sell the project given our squad is actually good and more balanced than we’ve had in quite some time.
Is it? Must have missed that over the last 2 months!

We haven't got ONE game changing forward.

He was guaranteed the Bayern job this season if he wanted it. He turned it (and the Liverpool job) down, and I'd say it's already been organised that he will take over at Real in a year or two.

Yeah he's my first choice but like you say I'm certain he's already lined up for the Real job

Zidane for me.

And there is no close second. Unless Klopp feels like making an explosive and controversial return to football.

Don’t care if he doesn’t speak English or hasn’t managed anyone in years. It’s Zidane. Support him in every way possible and he’ll sort it

OK, so how do you persuade him to do a complete u turn on managing in England, seems to me he is waiting it out for the France job

Tbh, it was his fault.
And yet he won 2/3 trophies and got the most points in the PL in one season since SIr Alex with 81 points, we all criticised that team but right now that version of Lukaku, De Gea, Romero, Pogba, Herera , Matic, Rooney, Carrick a team that scored 68 goals but only conceded 28, Jose was 100% right that was his best ever domestic performance of a team, looking how bad they’ve been since with players like Lindelof, Rashford, shaw still here !

Eddie Howe?

Hmm... how can we make the experience of watching current United just a little bit worse?

Yeah, having to watch that knobhead Jason Tindall mugging for the camera for 20 minutes of every game might just do it.

And yet he won 2/3 trophies and got the most points in the PL in one season since SIr Alex with 81 points, we all criticised that team but right now that version of Lukaku, De Gea, Romero, Pogba, Herera , Matic, Rooney, Carrick a team that scored 68 goals but only conceded 28, Jose was 100% right that was his best ever domestic performance of a team, looking how bad they’ve been since with players like Lindelof, Rashford, shaw still here !
Mou was backed to the hilt in his first 2 seasons he signed like 10 players including Ibra, pogba, Alexis, Lukaku and couldn't even muster a serious title challenge... He was without a doubt a collosal failure considering his reputation and the money spent

I'm not 100% on board with it, but I do think this is probably the most likely step we should take.

Tuchel just might be the best to instil the basics and general patterns of play into this team, which then makes it much easier for the next guy to build on. Or hell, maybe he might take us all the way himself.

Yeah he would be 4th maybe 5th on my list, however none of the top 3 seem obtainable

OK, so how do you persuade him to do a complete u turn on managing in England, seems to me he is waiting it out for the France job
4 steps

1) Take Jean Claude Blanc along
2) Tell him the plans for the stadium, the direction the club wants to go & tell him that he’ll be a club legend at both Madrid and United if he wins the league here
3) Tell Blanc to translate that in French
4) Put money on the table and stare at him until he says something

Steady the ship with Tuchel.

Whilst he's manager think about our long-term manager.

Yeah we are definitely on the same page with that way of thinking, have said before he's not the ideal choice but can get ship back on course

4 steps

2) Tell him the plans for the stadium, the direction the club wants to go & tell him that he’ll be a club legend at both Madrid and United if he wins the league here
"Merci je suis très honoré mais [inaudible] le coach doit [inaudible] enfin voilà."

Tuchel - Has won the champions league, but his Bayern and Chelsea team were boring to watch.

Nagelsmann - He would be one of my first choices, but can we get him away from the German job?

Inzaghi - Has done a good job at Inter, but 5 at the back is his preferred formation and I am not sure that will work with us.

Xavi - Won the league with Barca, but I didn’t find them impressive under him albeit the squad was not great and they seemed to lose every big game including against us.

Potter - Had problems getting his Brighton and Chelsea teams to score.

Zidane - Won’t happen as he doesn’t want to move to England. Anyway as well as he did for Madrid, he had an amazing squad, which is the total opposite here.

Alonso - Madrid bound it seems.

Southgate - No thanks.

McKenna - Has done a great job at Ipswich, but it’s a big step up asking him to be our manager. Are we prepared to risk it like Arsenal did with Arteta?

De Zerbi - He was my choice in the summer, but sadly we let him go to Marseille.

Other outsiders that I don’t know much about are Marco Rose and Amorim.
Nagelsmann for me, or Amorim, but tough to get but get Tuchel for now and then one of the above

4 steps

More Hollywood than Manchester

Steady the ship with Tuchel.

Whilst he's manager think about our long-term manager.
United needs to bin this "long term" manager idea IMO.
In football, having the same manager for 3-4 season is normal. Once they can't take the club forward anymore they should be replaced. The hope of finding the next Ferguson is what keeping this club to keep failed managers too long

Just inexplicable.
Until he gets sacked, then it'd be even weirder.
I have to be honest I’m totally behind this appointment, too many fans say we are turning into Brexit FC however this is the English Premier League and all great United sides are always built on strong British foundations like Best, Charlton, Styles and law or Keane, Irwin, Scholes, Giggs, Sheringham, , Cole, Neville and Beckham, then Carrick, Rooney, Smalliing, Fletcher, Cleverly, Wellbeck all those players won titles.

Right now with 2 British players starting against Spurs and too many Latin/african/South American and players who don’t understand the British culture are failing and failing regularly.

What language is spoken in the dressing room, who are the leaders on the pitch. What style are we playing when all the player are used to completely different styles for their national teams.

It’s time to have a strong British core and build on that with 3 or 4 special players from other countries, we can’t develop young Dutch, German players when we should be developing British players first, then buy 23-26 year old highly talented South American/ European or Latin players.

We have Onana in goal when we could have probably sold him for £30m and brought in A Ramsdale whose a much better goalkeeper.

We need a huge recruitment drive and it’s time to be smart, if a Saudi team offers £100m for Bruno, he should be sold instantly, Hojlund and Zirkzee have to the rest of the season, only one of them will survive, sell the other one for £40-50m, add in Sancho and Antony and you’ve generated nearly £170m. Sell Lindelof and you might generate £175-180m.

If Eddie Howe is appointment, then he’s Ashworth’s man and the recruitment drive will be a mixture of young British talent plus imported players that are proven to be suitable for the PL, just look at Newcastle whose recent recruitment is miles better than ours.

British players be recruited
Tyler Dibbling - Right Wing /£25m
Chris Rigg - CM / £15m
Jared Branthwaite - CBL / £65m
Morgan Rogers - AM /£55m
A Gomes - CM/DM/AM / Free
A Wharton - DM /50m
L Davies - LB/ 25m

Foreign Players to be recruited
victor Osimhwn or V Gyrokes -£70-90m
X Phillips or N Williams - £60-75m
D Costa or M Maignan - £50-70m

As soon as we switch to 70/30 format of a British core for starting 11 and squad then And only then will United start to improve..

Ask yourself this question would Diego Dalot, Mazraoui, De Ligt, Eriksen, Bruno, Zirkzee, Hojlund, Garnaucho, Antony, Amad, Casemiro, T Mallacia, M Ugarte, A Onana, A Bayinder, L Martinez and Amad make a Sir Alex Ferguson squad ?

I’ll be kind only D Dalot(just), L Martinez, Prime Casemiro(Season 1) and A Garnaucho and maybe Amad would make a Sir Alex squad, Gabrielle Heinze, J Stam, Sebastian Veron and D Berbatov are all vastly superior to any of these frauds like our current fraud coach ETH, he’s bought Sh…, he’s a Sh..coach and it’s time for the club to go back to what we know that works!

So yes Eddie Howe who has got Newcastle in top 4 before is a perfect coach right now for us, he will rotate his squad, he understands the EPL and he’s had European CL experience where he was really unlucky to not get out of the group.

A lot of fantasy in here. Maybe some reality.

Who we are NOT getting:
- Ancelotti: already said Madrid is his last job
- Alonso: Madrid bound, already rejected Bayern and Liverpool, his history at Liverpool makes it unlikely as well
- Nagelsmann: has a chance to win the world cup with his own country, will make him a legend in Germany, wants to stay in Germany for kids. Can go everywhere in the future because is still young, could get one or two other chances to manage United in the future.
- Deschamp: would not leave his nice job in France, just signed a new contract in the summer. His football is even more boring than Ten Hag.
- Mourinho: pffffff………
- Ange: is already lucky to be at a reasonable big club for him. Will try to stay there as long as possible.
- Inzaghi: will not leave Inter in the middle of the season. Also a gamble because he never coached outside Italy.
- De Zerbi: just started at Marseille. Didn’t really impress last season at Brighton
- Guardiola: are you for real?

Who we are probably NOT getting:
- Zidane: waiting it out for the France job, said he didn’t want to coach in England, is out of the job for some years now, probably likes his life without all the tension. Maybe with a very good project he can persuaded.
- Amorim: why would he leave Sporting in the middle of the season when he has a great chance to win the championship again. Already three point in front of Porto and five in front of Benfica. Plays three at the back which we are not accustomed to. Is he another gamble? Or is he what Ten Hag was a couple of years ago at Ajax? Is the Portuguese competition so much stronger than the Dutch? Outside Sporting, Benfica and Porto the competition is pretty weak, like the Dutch competition. But maybe….
- McKenna: still has a lot to learn. Why would he leave Ipswich now after he said in the summer he wanted to stay. Is still young, could get other chances in the future. But maybe…..

Tuchel, Frank or Emery (if he wants to) are probably the biggest names we could get at this moment. Potter, Howe or Southgate we don’t want. Interim Ruud or Ole till the end of the season and try to get one of the big names that won’t come right now for the next season.

Or maybe an Ineos surprise……

If Alonso is Madrid bound then we can give Ancelotti a return to North West England. Problem solved.

He hasn’t won a single game this season. If we want losers, we may as well just stick, or get a caretaker, until a real manager becomes available.
And people want Mckenna from Ipswich, G Potter went from Swansea to Brighton, did well to go to Chelsea, B Rogers same went to Liverpool he did OK before both got sacked, Sometimes you need to look at a picture that nobody else sees. But they won't.
Why we didn't try and get Emry from Villa I don't know . Ancelotti would command respect for sure but would he be a answer? This board want long term guy and give him a chance to get some of the younger players they've required. This is why there reluctantly not sacked him yet imo .

A lot of fantasy in here. Maybe some reality.

Who we are NOT getting:
- Ancelotti: already said Madrid is his last job
- Alonso: Madrid bound, already rejected Bayern and Liverpool, his history at Liverpool makes it unlikely as well
- Nagelsmann: has a chance to win the world cup with his own country, will make him a legend in Germany, wants to stay in Germany for kids. Can go everywhere in the future because is still young, could get one or two other chances to manage United in the future.
- Deschamp: would not leave his nice job in France, just signed a new contract in the summer. His football is even more boring than Ten Hag.
- Mourinho: pffffff………
- Ange: is already lucky to be at a reasonable big club for him. Will try to stay there as long as possible.
- Inzaghi: will not leave Inter in the middle of the season. Also a gamble because he never coached outside Italy.
- De Zerbi: just started at Marseille. Didn’t really impress last season at Brighton
- Guardiola: are you for real?

Who we are probably NOT getting:
- Zidane: waiting it out for the France job, said he didn’t want to coach in England, is out of the job for some years now, probably likes his life without all the tension. Maybe with a very good project he can persuaded.
- Amorim: why would he leave Sporting in the middle of the season when he has a great chance to win the championship again. Already three point in front of Porto and five in front of Benfica. Plays three at the back which we are not accustomed to. Is he another gamble? Or is he what Ten Hag was a couple of years ago at Ajax? Is the Portuguese competition so much stronger than the Dutch? Outside Sporting, Benfica and Porto the competition is pretty weak, like the Dutch competition. But maybe….
- McKenna: still has a lot to learn. Why would he leave Ipswich now after he said in the summer he wanted to stay. Is still young, could get other chances in the future. But maybe…..

Tuchel, Frank or Emery (if he wants to) are probably the biggest names we could get at this moment. Potter, Howe or Southgate we don’t want. Interim Ruud or Ole till the end of the season and try to get one of the big names that won’t come right now for the next season.

Or maybe an Ineos surprise……
Thomas Frank is a lot more realistic than the majority on there.

I don't know why you say some of them wouldn't leave clubs during the season. Of course they would if we came calling.

I have to be honest I’m totally behind this appointment, too many fans say we are turning into Brexit FC however this is the English Premier League and all great United sides are always built on strong British foundations like Best, Charlton, Styles and law or Keane, Irwin, Scholes, Giggs, Sheringham, , Cole, Neville and Beckham, then Carrick, Rooney, Smalliing, Fletcher, Cleverly, Wellbeck all those players won titles.

Right now with 2 British players starting against Spurs and too many Latin/african/South American and players who don’t understand the British culture are failing and failing regularly.

What language is spoken in the dressing room, who are the leaders on the pitch. What style are we playing when all the player are used to completely different styles for their national teams.

It’s time to have a strong British core and build on that with 3 or 4 special players from other countries, we can’t develop young Dutch, German players when we should be developing British players first, then buy 23-26 year old highly talented South American/ European or Latin players.

We have Onana in goal when we could have probably sold him for £30m and brought in A Ramsdale whose a much better goalkeeper.

We need a huge recruitment drive and it’s time to be smart, if a Saudi team offers £100m for Bruno, he should be sold instantly, Hojlund and Zirkzee have to the rest of the season, only one of them will survive, sell the other one for £40-50m, add in Sancho and Antony and you’ve generated nearly £170m. Sell Lindelof and you might generate £175-180m.

If Eddie Howe is appointment, then he’s Ashworth’s man and the recruitment drive will be a mixture of young British talent plus imported players that are proven to be suitable for the PL, just look at Newcastle whose recent recruitment is miles better than ours.

British players be recruited
Tyler Dibbling - Right Wing /£25m
Chris Rigg - CM / £15m
Jared Branthwaite - CBL / £65m
Morgan Rogers - AM /£55m
A Gomes - CM/DM/AM / Free
A Wharton - DM /50m
L Davies - LB/ 25m

Foreign Players to be recruited
victor Osimhwn or V Gyrokes -£70-90m
X Phillips or N Williams - £60-75m
D Costa or M Maignan - £50-70m

As soon as we switch to 70/30 format of a British core for starting 11 and squad then And only then will United start to improve..

Ask yourself this question would Diego Dalot, Mazraoui, De Ligt, Eriksen, Bruno, Zirkzee, Hojlund, Garnaucho, Antony, Amad, Casemiro, T Mallacia, M Ugarte, A Onana, A Bayinder, L Martinez and Amad make a Sir Alex Ferguson squad ?

I’ll be kind only D Dalot(just), L Martinez, Prime Casemiro(Season 1) and A Garnaucho and maybe Amad would make a Sir Alex squad, Gabrielle Heinze, J Stam, Sebastian Veron and D Berbatov are all vastly superior to any of these frauds like our current fraud coach ETH, he’s bought Sh…, he’s a Sh..coach and it’s time for the club to go back to what we know that works!

So yes Eddie Howe who has got Newcastle in top 4 before is a perfect coach right now for us, he will rotate his squad, he understands the EPL and he’s had European CL experience where he was really unlucky to not get out of the group.

City are the best team in world football and they have 4 English players.

Walker, Stones and Foden - Mainstays in the first team when fit
Grealish - Now see's himself as at best a rotation option for city.

Arsenal are the next best in the premier league they have 4 English players.

White, Rice and Saka - Mainstays in the first team
Sterling - Just signed and at the minute is a rotation option.

What you've posted is nonsense. It doesn't matter where players are from, what matters is that they are the right profile for the role you want them to fulfil in the team. United's problem has been that they tend to sign players on name and reputation rather than the needs of the team.

English players come at a premium cost, there is better value in the foreign markets.

United now have backroom staff to drive the club. We need a clear and defined way in which they want the team to play, a manager who aligns with this and can instil this philosophy on the pitch and then identify the players who allow for this to become a reality on the pitch. Thinking that signing English players will magically rectify everything which is going wrong at the club is pure fallacy and nothing but romantically clinging onto the past, but football has changed. City, Arsenal and Liverpool are the 3 best sides in the league and they aren't doing this.

Well not exactly. They can come out with the tune that he failed despite backing him (which they did) with time and money.
With another season lost and one of the worst managers we have had in the last decade. Yeah, they will come out great when they let him finish the season.

With another season lost and one of the worst managers we have had in the last decade. Yeah, they will come out great when they let him finish the season.

It depends how you see it. They might see it as an opportunity to finally tackle fan pressure once and for all. After all retaining ETH was a populist decision.

At a top club any type of sacking clause needs to have some restrictions, eg being in a certain position in the league or losing x amount of games.
Finishing 10th this year just to save 17.5m is absolutely mental.
We will be lucky to finish 10th on current projection. 8th flattered us last season and we look worse with a fully fit squad. We will be in a relegation battle this year if our tactical genius stays on.