Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 18 1.8%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 104 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 46 4.6%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 130 13.0%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 64 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
It not an issue, many coaches have phased out captains more influential than Bruno - Mou had to deal with Rooney for example, ETH had to deal with the Maguire saga, who was captain for Moyes, Vidic?

I can’t look past them going for Potter. Tuchel just seems such a pain to deal with for anyone above him and isn’t exactly someone known for developing youth and putting an arm round young players; he’ll happily name and shame players in the media over and over again and I think we’ve been done with that kind of personality since Mou was here.

In fairness Mourinho didnt have to do much with Rooney as Southgate had benched him earlier and moved the captaincy on while Rooney was still a squad member. Mourinho merely followed that same path and there was no issue about Rooney being moved from automatic starter under LvG just because he was captain to club captain and Carrick took over on the pitch iirc.

An issue I see is the likes of Amorin/Emery/McKenna will cost compensation money to hire while Tuchel/Potter/Southgate wont.

Neither would Klopp come to think of it.......

We should try and poach Thomas Frank so we weaken one of our rivals

Imagine the Glazers now, giggling back in Florida. Texting Big Jim. "Great manager we signed right! You are welcome. And since you are responsible for the football side of things, please don't get back to us before you solved this".

They always win, don't they.

It will be more like ''Welcome to the Big Leagues, Jimbo! :smirk:''

What kind of pedestals were these players put on? Especially Maguire

What do you mean by that? The guy was one of the best defenders in the league for 2 seasons under Ole and yet received nothing by abuse from millions of clueless football fans

Then got benched by ETH 2 years ago and hasn't kicked up a fuss or said a bad word about anyone or anything since then

His salary is pretty reasonable too

I think you're just rambling but even yourself aren't sure what it's about
'Mcguire Best defender in the league for 2 years'
'Millions of Clueless fans'

Do go on, please.

Honestly think Tuchel could have a similar effect on you guys that he did here at Chelsea initially. The football might not be as pretty as you traditionally like but he’d be highly effective. He’d have players he worked with at Bayern and THE key player from when he was at Chelsea. Knows the PL obviously and how grueling it is.

Biggest issue of course is that at every stop of his career he falls out with the club hierarchy and wears out his welcome quickly. But if you want to salvage your season and have a real chance of returning to the elite over the next 2-3 years he’d be ideal.

I'd prefer a manager who does see us beat by 3+ goals at OT, twice in the opening 6 matches of a new season.

Definitely not Southgate either.

Nagglesman for me seems the right profile to target. Just a matter of whether we could tempt him from Germany. Has a style of play that I think would compliment United and has a bit of an aura around him.

Honestly think Tuchel could have a similar effect on you guys that he did here at Chelsea initially. The football might not be as pretty as you traditionally like but he’d be highly effective. He’d have players he worked with at Bayern and THE key player from when he was at Chelsea. Knows the PL obviously and how grueling it is.

Biggest issue of course is that at every stop of his career he falls out with the club hierarchy and wears out his welcome quickly. But if you want to salvage your season and have a real chance of returning to the elite over the next 2-3 years he’d be ideal.

I really think this is the best option. 2 years max to implement something approaching a coherent system whilst the club maintain control of long term vision and signings then part ways for a younger sexier, less SS officer looking replacement.

Of course, knowing our board and our fans he'll be given full control and having scrapped 4th in his second season he will get a new contract and promptly meltdown dragging several players out with him.

I really think this is the best option. 2 years max to implement something approaching a coherent system whilst the club maintain control of long term vision and signings then part ways for a younger sexier, less SS officer looking replacement.

Of course, knowing our board and our fans he'll be given full control and having scrapped 4th in his second season he will get a new contract and promptly meltdown dragging several players out with him.

So true on both counts :lol:

Out of the imediately available candidates I too think Tuchel is the best choice. He can change things quickly and give Utd chance of top 4. Southgate and Potter lack personality for such a big club.

Of the out of work managers, tuchel, allegri, Southgate, Xavi would probably be on the shortlist. If you wanted an immediate appointment without messing around with compensation

Unless ETH tanks badly at Porto and Villa then I can see ETH stay till the end of the season. It would cost us 17.5m to sack him, his sacking will make INEOS look silly and there's no clear replacement for him just yet. If he does leave then I can see us promoting RVN as interim with Hake as no 2. As permanent managers I'd go for someone who already knows the EPL if possible such as Emery. Alternatively we should have a look at Inzaghi and Alonso.

As an immediate replacement I wonder if Edin Terzic could do the trick TBH.

Unless ETH tanks badly at Porto and Villa then I can see ETH stay till the end of the season. It would cost us 17.5m to sack him, his sacking will make INEOS look silly and there's no clear replacement for him just yet. If he does leave then I can see us promoting RVN as interim with Hake as no 2. As permanent managers I'd go for someone who already knows the EPL if possible such as Emery. Alternatively we should have a look at Inzaghi and Alonso.

Oh please no. Terzic is the personification of everything that's going wrong in Dortmund, you don't want to add that to United's own problems.

Agree with this 100%. United would be lucky to have Tuchel.

If you don't see the issue with mcguire, rashford, bruno and casemiro my friend, it’s on you. How many managers these people have worked with so far? How many more managers will need to lose their job before we realize these players we kept on a pedestal need to take some responsibilities too?
out of that list only Rashford has played under more than two permanent managers at United. Maguire wasn’t in the squad yesterday and Casemiro only played a small part, weird to blame them for how the season has gone so far.

Ah that's why it broke down with Tuchel you reminded me. I thought it was compensation but recall reading the brief about wanting to control transfers. Could be wrong though.

I’d prefer a more attack minded coach than Tuchel but can’t refuse given he’d obviously be an upgrade. Either way we need someone who can coach us to play possession footy and control games.

All our previous managers between Fergie and ETH simply weren't good enough, so their failure shouldn't really come into the discussion.

ETH was the first time that we hired the right profile of manager, and unfortunately it hasn't worked out. But it's not some sign that all other up-and-coming managers who play good football will fail. Plenty of managers aren't able to take the step up, while some do. That doesn't stop top teams giving them a chance, but the key is that once it's obvious it's not going to work they then fire that manager and bring in another one (either another up-and-comer or a more established manager). That's where we have failed.
EXACTLY THIS! We need to keep hiring and firing till we strike gold. That’s what all the big clubs do

Still think I prefer Tuchel vs anyone else. I don't think there's a world in which we solve every ill in our team in a single step and we need to start with the most pressing. The soft centre in this team that sees opposition teams streaking out of midfield onto our back four feels like one of the more crucial issues to resolve. I think it undermines our ability to do pretty much anything else. This is definitely the kind of thing I'd expect Tuchel to resolve quickly.

Tuchel isn't perfect, nobody is, but he is the most experienced big name available and a clear upgrade on what we have.

At a top club any type of sacking clause needs to have some restrictions, eg being in a certain position in the league or losing x amount of games.
Finishing 10th this year just to save 17.5m is absolutely mental.

Not sacking him will make Ineos look silly as well.

Nagglesman for me seems the right profile to target. Just a matter of whether we could tempt him from Germany. Has a style of play that I think would compliment United and has a bit of an aura around him.
He has a once in a lifetime chance to win the world cup with his home country in two years time. He will never leave them right now.

17.5mil. Ouch. What would it have been had he not been extended?

We should get Ruben Amorim. 8 wins from 8 this year....

https://www.espn.com/soccer/team/results/_/id/2250/por.sporting_lisbon

Sporting have scored 25 and conceded 2 in the league from 7 games.

This team have downed tools for Ten Hag. Amorim's players will run through a brick wall for him.

Not sure why we are worried about 3 at the back? We have better center backs than we have full backs.

I imagine it will be ruud until the end of the season. I cant see us going back in for any manager who we passed on/passed on us over the summer, so probably ruud with a view to seeing who is available next summer.

Obviously there's some big names that may be available, with varying degrees of likelihood.

Alonso- can't help but feel he's madrid bound.

Ancelotti- there was rumours of brazil, but would be a safe pair of hands for 2-3 years

Guardiola- a complete wild card, but if city are punished severely , ie out of league, he wont even have to face them, and presumbaly has some sort of relationship with Berrada. Would represent a challege he hasnt taken on in his career too. It wont happen obviously, but would be the ultimate scalp for ineos, and a legacy definer for Guardiola if he returned United to the top

Amorim- maybe if he really excels this year he could be in contention, but he didn't seem to be considered heavily.

Nagelsmann- depending on how his Germany spell and relationship is.

Zidane- this ship has surely sailed, there's seemingly been no willingness whatsoever on his part.

Simone Inzaghi- developing a very solid reputation

McKenna- I could only see this if he keeps Ipswich up with some style.

De Zerbi- was tempting last time, and if he does well with marseille, possibly a trophy, then I think worth considering, because if nothing else he at the very least seems to have strong tactical ideas

Out of the imediately available candidates I too think Tuchel is the best choice. He can change things quickly and give Utd chance of top 4. Southgate and Potter lack personality for such a big club.

Sad how we did this meeting with him in August and evaluated it not being worthy. Now, 1 month later, we are EXACTLY in the sh*t situation everyone expected