Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 18 1.8%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 104 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 46 4.6%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 130 13.0%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 64 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
They must have a plan B ready to go, now where are the leaks when you need them or is it RVN till the end of the season ?

Potter was a complete embarrassment at Chelsea. There is no way he can fix this mess and handle these egos

Perhaps so, but Chelsea as a whole was a compete embarrassment themselves. Their squad was a mess and Todd Boehly had just been let loose with the cheque book. For me there's enough mitigating factors to say that Perhaps he wasn't as bad and that those circumstances had a part to play also.

But in terms of an interim manager position, he's the best option that I can think of. If he's no good then fine, we'll have made it to the summer and we might have better options. The alternative is to get our no1 choice now, which is unlikely, it put somebody else in charge on an interim basis who has even less pedigree than Potter ie RVN.

I would go for Iraola but he's doing a good job at my local club and I think United would just ruin him.

I wonder what type of coach we go for. Will we flip flop again like we did from LvG to Jose? Or stick to some positional play adherent and has fresh ideas in build up / pressing.

We still don't know what kind of longterm playing style Ineos have in mind.

Is there a poll on potential candidates in any thread? Curious to see where the current sentiment is at? I would imagine Tuchel would be most popular but I would guess he would get significantly less than 50% of the vote

In fairness we have tried it all. The proven trophy managers failed, the overachieving manager with a smaller club failed, the club legend failed.

Ok let's just quit then and never ever try to improve again

Why is Xavi Hernandez not been spoken about in relation to the managers job. Has big club experience in a top league. Has a recognised style of play and brought young players through at Barca when they could not buy. has he ruled himself out as I dont understand why he is not in the conversation!

Imo the next Utd manager will be british, either Southgate, Potter, Carrick, O'Neil or Howe.
I might be in the minority here, but I think Carrick can be pretty decent for us, more so than McKenna(who is a good manager too).

Carrick has coached and knows the core of our team. He knows the stregths and weaknesses of a lot of players that are currently here.

Moreso, during his interim spell he did pretty good with us. Watford, Leicester and Liverpool were all scoring for fun against us before his appointment. He stepped up, steadied the ship and even got us points that saw us progress to the round of 16 in the CL as well as make us more balanced in the PL facing the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal. He does have pragmatism, but he also knows how to set up his team.

I would definitely have him here if no higher profile manager is available.

I would like someone who has:
1. Top 5 league experience
2. League title(s)
3. Big club experience and success
4. Deep CL run

So that leaves us with Tuchel, Allegri, Xavi and Zidane from available managers

Any of those 4 would be preferable to Ten Hag. Course, at this point, pretty much anyone is preferable to Ten Hag.

It’s still early, getting a good manager in and we could still make a run at top 4 and in Europa. Do it now, don’t wait.

This whole process is going to stressful while Southgate keeps getting mentioned. Can't Everton just hire him already.

I don't want Gareth and am not too excited by options like Potter or even Tuchel though his credentials might be the strongest, but if you told me tonight that Ineos had approached Brentford about Frank or Boro about Carrick I'd actually smile. hope srpings eternal.

I would like someone who has:
1. Top 5 league experience
2. League title(s)
3. Big club experience and success
4. Deep CL run

So that leaves us with Tuchel, Allegri, Xavi and Zidane from available managers

Any of those 4 would be preferable to Ten Hag. Course, at this point, pretty much anyone is preferable to Ten Hag.

It’s still early, getting a good manager in and we could still make a run at top 4 and in Europa. Do it now, don’t wait.

We tried this with LVG, Mourinho and EtH. Big names, previous league titles and European credentials. A cup win or two each but no sustained success.

Any decent assistants out there? Go the Arsenal and eventually Chelsea route. Who is Peps right hand man right now?

Yeah, I'm also thinking Potter.

If you give me 24-48 hours to get myself hyped, I could get really into Potter.
I can't believe that we scoured the world in the summer and couldn't find anybody suitable and now Graham Potter could be the answer.

I just see him as a bearded Southgate. I don't think he has the force of personality to manager United.

Potter is uninspiring but he couldn't possibly do a worse job than Ten Hag is doing and I'd take him over Southgate.

We tried this with LVG, Mourinho and EtH. Big names, previous league titles and European credentials. A cup win or two each but no sustained success.

Any decent assistants out there? Go the Arsenal and eventually Chelsea route. Who is Peps right hand man right now?
It’s sort of a logical fallacy to say because we brought in experienced managers before and it didn’t work, it won’t work with those types now.

You wouldn’t complain if we brought in Pep, Klopp or Ancelotti would you? Of course not. I would argue Ten Hag does not fit large club or top5 league.

You’re rolling the dice no matter the hire, I think you reduce risk by bringing in a Xavi or Tuchel.

People do not want potter and southgate yet quite happy at the idea of carrick and mckenna? Man united supporters trully undermine the size of their own club. Even Liverpool and Man City have only been dominating the english and europe football after they appointed world class managers with tonnes of experience. This club need an experienced head, someone with pedigree who can stand up and gain respect of their own players. The likes of Carrick and McKenna are still way below that order.

Amorim is easily my top choice.

My justifications:
  1. He plays high press, vertical transitional football, with lots of ball carrier football which suits our squad way better than whatever the feck ETH is trying to do. He does love his 3 ATB with 2 wing backs so we might need to make some changes, but Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro/Maguire could be great with Mazraoui and Shaw (I know...) or Dalot on either side.
  2. From Sporting fans on him: "He changed the mentality. We were defeatist, unmotivated, and our fans jeered the team almost every game. Today the stadium is vibrant, the fans happy, the players confident. We look like one of the Big Three once again". Does this ring any bells?
  3. Bruno Fernandes and Manual Ugarte played under him before and were great for him.
  4. He was shortlisted by Liverpool, whom although we all hate but can admit that is a far better run club than us, and even had a talk with West Ham, so his willingness to join us is not out of the question.
  5. He took over Braga halfway through a season, won a League Cup 3 weeks later, and then broke Braga's record of having not won in Benfica in 65 years weeks later, winning 10 of his 13 games in charge with +14 GD before leaving for Sporting.
  6. He took over Sporting (in March) when they were very far behind Porto and Benfica in the league for many years, and managed to instill a clear identity into the them within 2 months.
  7. He ended Sporting's drought by winning league title after 19 years without one, and did it so in fashion by almost going the whole season unbeaten, only losing their penultimate game to Benfica after securing the title.
  8. He won 2 league titles in 4 years, including last season, along with 2 league cups, and is so far crushing the league this season.
  9. He replaced Bruno with Goncalves who managed 71 goals and 43 assists in 156 games under him.
  10. He turned Gyokeres into an absolute monster of a striker with 45 goals and 13 assists in 50 games.
  11. Joao Palhinha was about to be sold by Sporting before Amorim came in and made him his starting DM.
  12. He turned Pedro Porro, unimpressive during his loans from City until then, who was loaned for 2 years with a obligatory £7m signing clause, turned him into a good RB and then sold him to Spurs for £40m
  13. He promoted Matheus Nunes (signed for €500k) into the first team squad and made him his starting midfielder. He was eventually signed for £38m by Wolves and then £53m by Man City.
  14. He promoted Nuno Mendes into the first team squad, became the youngest starting XI for Sporting since Ronaldo, and was eventually sold in a loan + obligatory signing fee totaling €47m to PSG.
  15. He promoted Goncalo Ignacio into the first team squad, and became one of the top CB prospects in the world.
Eeeeeh eeeeeh eh, and I won a League Cup and an FA Cup - Ten Hag Probably.

Joking aside great read, cheers for the information.

I would bring in Carrick or McKenna. We need to get back to basics.

Ten Hag certainly has his failings as a coach, but he's also just a bad fit for the club. The way he sets his teams up in that inflexible system doesn't fit the Premier League and it doesn't suit most of the players, who, as some pundits have pointed out, simply don't understand what it is they are supposed to be doing. So many of them have been misprofiled and asked to play roles they are not equipped for. It's baffling how Casemiro, Rashford, and Dalot have been used, to name but a few.

United need to play to their strengths and that means an injection of width, playing on the counterattack, and passing the ball at a high tempo.

Bringing in a manager who understands what makes the players tick is probably our only hope of trying to unfeck all of Ten Hag's mistakes. It's not about getting an elite coach in at this stage, but having someone who will steady the ship and get us back to first principles. The two trophies have kind of glossed over how chaotic the last season and a half has been on the pitch.

Last edited:
It’s sort of a logical fallacy to say because we brought in experienced managers before and it didn’t work, it won’t work with those types now.

You wouldn’t complain if we brought in Pep, Klopp or Ancelotti would you? Of course not. I would argue Ten Hag does not fit large club or top5 league.

You’re rolling the dice no matter the hire, I think you reduce risk by bringing in a Xavi or Tuchel.

I agree on your point but I suppose the point I'm trying to make is maybe go for something different than any other of the criteria you listed.

Something a bit out there if you know what I mean? A Fabien Hurzeler type signing maybe? Nothings worked since Fergie left so why not?

If you had the following two choices, what would you pick?

1, ten Hag until the end of the season.

2, ten Hag sacked today, Southgate appointed tomorrow.

Any takers at all for 2?
I'd rather guide my dad in to my mum than have any of those scenarios.

One of my biggest worries about Potter is that I don't know if Brighton were good because of him - or he was good because of the way Brighton set the club up.

I agree on your point but I suppose the point I'm trying to make is maybe go for something different than any other of the criteria you listed.

Something a bit out there if you know what I mean? A Fabien Hurzeler type signing maybe? Nothings worked since Fergie left so why not?
Interested to see which direction we go. I honestly am not sure where we go from here. I think we need a philosophy or paradigm re-set. As a club, we should dictate the players we are buying from an organizational values baseline. Then, know we are going to spend $$ hiring and firing managers until we find one that can win the league. The manager is given the players, up to him to get them playing as a top team.

Conte would be fun

Not for footballing reasons. The football would be terrible.

A sick part of me kind of wants to see him with this group. His lack of patience with players not doing what he expects would be fun.

Seeing someone scream at Bruno for repeatedly giving the ball away would please me…Or Rashford getting absolutely mauled for ducking out of a 50/50

What puts you off him just out of interest?

Almost everything.

Extremely average league record, and just look how liberated Bayern are since fecking him off, despite hiring a manager we all laughed about.
Add to that he’s another manager demanding more control, despite never having the sustained success anywhere to prove he deserves it. In fact, every club he’s managed since joining Dortmund have gotten worse season on season.

Maybe they are waiting so long till everybody is saying we don’t care who the new manager is as long as Ten Hag is gone. And then Potter comes in.

1. Write off the season and appoint Ole/Ruud caretaker till the end of the season.(Hard stop in June no matter how well we do)

2. Appoint Simeone Inzaghi in the summer after selling Bruno and Rashford to give him a clean slate. Start laying the groundwork for the deal from right now.

People do not want potter and southgate yet quite happy at the idea of carrick and mckenna? Man united supporters trully undermine the size of their own club. Even Liverpool and Man City have only been dominating the english and europe football after they appointed world class managers with tonnes of experience. This club need an experienced head, someone with pedigree who can stand up and gain respect of their own players. The likes of Carrick and McKenna are still way below that order.

The problem with United is the sentimentality that had been creeping in for decades. Take SAF's last side as an example. Everyone knew that the class of 92 needed replacing and that we had to build the football structure now before SAF retired. Yet no one wanted to put a bell to that particular cat because that would mean having to ask legends to retire and having to put constraints on SAF. Even now we hear some of the most ridiculous comments around like Maguire being as good as De Ligt (Scholes) and the silly overprotection the likes of Rashford had enjoyed for years now.

I have my favorites as well. For example I would love Inzaghi to come to United. His football is quite good, I like the man, I like his CV and his ability to get the most out of players that everyone had since written off. Yet we have to go past our likes/dislikes and focus on United. Once that is done then the following questions will be asked like

a- can he work with the current squad? Cause if his tactics differ greatly to what we've got then we'll heading towards a huge rebuild something we probably can't afford.
b- does he understand the EPL? Cause we can't afford yet another manager bringing midgets in defense only to notice later on that actually the EPL physicality is a real thing
c- what is his man management? Cause that's a huge thing in the UK especially with us

Hence why I am opting for someone less flashy but whom, in my opinion, is a better option ie Emery.