Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 18 1.8%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 104 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 46 4.6%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 130 13.0%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 64 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
A lot of fantasy in here. Maybe some reality.

Who we are NOT getting:
- Ancelotti: already said Madrid is his last job
- Alonso: Madrid bound, already rejected Bayern and Liverpool, his history at Liverpool makes it unlikely as well
- Nagelsmann: has a chance to win the world cup with his own country, will make him a legend in Germany, wants to stay in Germany for kids. Can go everywhere in the future because is still young, could get one or two other chances to manage United in the future.
- Deschamp: would not leave his nice job in France, just signed a new contract in the summer. His football is even more boring than Ten Hag.
- Mourinho: pffffff………
- Ange: is already lucky to be at a reasonable big club for him. Will try to stay there as long as possible.
- Inzaghi: will not leave Inter in the middle of the season. Also a gamble because he never coached outside Italy.
- De Zerbi: just started at Marseille. Didn’t really impress last season at Brighton
- Guardiola: are you for real?

Who we are probably NOT getting:
- Zidane: waiting it out for the France job, said he didn’t want to coach in England, is out of the job for some years now, probably likes his life without all the tension. Maybe with a very good project he can persuaded.
- Amorim: why would he leave Sporting in the middle of the season when he has a great chance to win the championship again. Already three point in front of Porto and five in front of Benfica. Plays three at the back which we are not accustomed to. Is he another gamble? Or is he what Ten Hag was a couple of years ago at Ajax? Is the Portuguese competition so much stronger than the Dutch? Outside Sporting, Benfica and Porto the competition is pretty weak, like the Dutch competition. But maybe….
- McKenna: still has a lot to learn. Why would he leave Ipswich now after he said in the summer he wanted to stay. Is still young, could get other chances in the future. But maybe…..

Tuchel, Frank or Emery (if he wants to) are probably the biggest names we could get at this moment. Potter, Howe or Southgate we don’t want. Interim Ruud or Ole till the end of the season and try to get one of the big names that won’t come right now for the next season.

Or maybe an Ineos surprise……

On Amorim and McKenna - why would they stay at smaller clubs? The opportunity to move to a top tier PL club may never come again.
Amorim has 2 Portugal League titles. What really does a third do for him? He is proven there.

Emery? Far less reason for Emery to leave than Amorim or McKenna. Emery is in the CL with Villa.

Knowing United, we will take the cheapest option and go with a manager out of contract.

IMO, Luis Enrique is the best manager that might be attainable next summer. He might not want to leave PSG given the project he has going there with all the young players but that club goes through managers very quickly and he has never stayed at a job very long himself so it wouldn't be a shock if he became available. Not something you can count on, but a situation I would definitely be monitoring throughout this year.

United need somebody who has the tactical chops to compete at the highest level and is also a culture setter with very high standards regarding work rate and commitment to the cause who will have no problem pushing out even the biggest players like Bruno and Rashford if necessary. Luis Enrique is one of the few managers out there that has both qualities.

On Amorim and McKenna - why would they stay at smaller clubs? The opportunity to move to a top tier PL club may never come again.
Amorim has 2 Portugal League titles. What really does a third do for him? He is proven there.

Emery? Far less reason for Emery to leave than Amorim or McKenna. Emery is in the CL with Villa.

Knowing United, we will take the cheapest option and go with a manager out of contract.
What precedent are you basing this comment on?

What precedent are you basing this comment on?

Because i think INEOS are far more frugal than under previous management. It is why we were rummaging around the bargin bin in the transfer window. Taking other teams cast offs rather than going for best in class.

The reported 17m they will have to pay ETH will sting. It will leave them with egg on their faces after only a few months ago extending him.

I dont think they will want to risk taking an in situe manager out of their current contract, when there are freebies available.

Imo the next Utd manager will be british, either Southgate, Potter, Carrick, O'Neil or Howe.

My brother said to me that he'd give it Potter for the season, with an agreement that if he achieved certain goals and generally had us playing good football, then he'd get another year or two. If not, part ways in the summer.

That's a sound idea in my opinion and works for everyone. Potter had Brighton playing good football. They were well structured, well drilled and clearly well coached. They couldn't score (though did create chances), which may be an issue, but I'd be confident he could get us playing better than this by a long distance.

If we have a great option available now then go for that instead, but I think this is the best 'caretaker manager' type of setup we could hope for. Better than Ruud etc.

My brother said to me that he'd give it Potter for the season, with an agreement that if he achieved certain goals and generally had us playing good football, then he'd get another year or two. If not, part ways in the summer.

That's a sound idea in my opinion and works for everyone. Potter had Brighton playing good football. They were well structured, well drilled and clearly well coached. They couldn't score (though did create chances), which may be an issue, but I'd be confident he could get us playing better than this by a long distance.

If we have a great option available now then go for that instead, but I think this is the best 'caretaker manager' type of setup we could hope for. Better than Ruud etc.

Would fit in well here then.

It would have to be interim for now I feel. No team owner will let their asset leave in October or Decemeber - not for a lot of money anyway. We're talking £20-30mil in compensation at least. Chelsea/Brighton and Potter has already set that precedent recently. Unless it's a sure thing which, nothing is, I doubt INEOS would take that gamble.

Other options are anyone not in a job right now - Tuchel, Southgate, Zidane etc. Don't think any of them other than Southgate wants to come. Maybe an outside punt on someone like Terzic who is unemployed?

Basically if we are lining up someone already in a job then I'd say we will have to wait until summer unfortunately.

Because i think INEOS are far more frugal than under previous management. It is why we were rummaging around the bargin bin in the transfer window. Taking other teams cast offs rather than going for best in class.

The reported 17m they will have to pay ETH will sting. It will leave them with egg on their faces after only a few months ago extending him.

I dont think they will want to risk taking an in situe manager out of their current contract, when there are freebies available.
The transfer window had to conform to PSR/FFP and yet we still spent £180m?

Is Leny Yoro a cast off? We changed our policy to stop attempting to buy galacticos, something which hasn’t once worked out.

They’re also commissioning a new stadium rather than patching up the old one.

They also went to great lengths to install a best in class footballing structure.

I was expecting them to do things by half measures and try to be clever about it and said as much in the thread about the club sale when they won but I think I’ve been proven wrong and they’re doing things right rather than overly cheap or overly exuberant for the sake of it.

The transfer window had to conform to PSR/FFP and yet we still spent £180m?

Is Leny Yoro a cast off? We changed our policy to stop attempting to buy galacticos, something which hasn’t once worked out.

They’re also commissioning a new stadium rather than patching up the old one.

They also went to great lengths to install a best in class footballing structure.

I was expecting them to do things by half measures and try to be clever about it and said as much in the thread about the club sale when they won but I think I’ve been proven wrong and they’re doing things right rather than overly cheap or overly exuberant for the sake of it.

Agree re Yoro. Did well to get him. We will see how he does when back from injury. And you are right about the stadium.

But as i said...

I don't think they will want to risk taking an in situe manager out of their current contract, when there are freebies available.

They flubbed on the biggest decision so far. They didn't have the courage of their convictions to sack ETH after a dreadful season.
Letting it get out that they were in the market for a new manager was amature. When that news came out, they had to follow through with it.
It is tantamount to a man sleeping around, then going back to his wife and thinking she will be ok with it. In this case, ETH is fine with it because his reputation is in the mud, but the players have lost even more respect for him as they know the club already have doubts about him.
Now, i don't think they will have the courage to go pay what it takes to get the best. They will get someone on a free.

Agree re Yoro. Did well to get him. We will see how he does when back from injury. And you are right about the stadium.

But as i said...

I don't think they will want to risk taking an in situe manager out of their current contract, when there are freebies available.

They flubbed on the biggest decision so far. They didn't have the courage of their convictions to sack ETH after a dreadful season.
Letting it get out that they were in the market for a new manager was amature. When that news came out, they had to follow through with it.
It is tantamount to a man sleeping around, then going back to his wife and thinking she will be ok with it. In this case, ETH is fine with it because his reputation is in the mud, but the players have lost even more respect for him as they know the club already have doubts about him.
Now, i don't think they will have the courage to go pay what it takes to get the best. They will get someone on a free.
I’d be surprised if it’s £17m. We won’t have renewed with ten Hag without provisions.

Thinking of all possibilities we are aware of, for me it is Nagelsman or nobody. He is the only obvious, high-profile manager that doesn't already have a bigger job.

There is no reason to think he would come into this mess, however. Not to mention that he seems to really be enjoying managing German national team.

Also, Hansi Flick and Arne Slot were not "high profile" enough for Barca and Liverpool, until they were, so Nagelsman being obvious doesn't mean there is not a less obvious solution that may work. What I know, however, is that it is definitely not Tuchel and sure as hell are not Southgate or even McKenna

Best in class, said INEOS. Let's get best in class. May still not work out, Erik was best in class before he joined us, but at least we can try Nagelsman if he agrees. I seriously doubt he will be worse than Erik. Which is more than I can say about other names being mentioned

In my opinion we should get a manager

a- whose style would fit to the players we've got
b- who ideally understand the EPL, its tempo and its physicality.
c- whose best years are ahead of him

Honestly I can't think past Unai Emery. He utilize a sort of 4-2-3-1 system, he's been successful at Villa and he also understand the pressure of managing a top English side
That's what i've been saying. Since we cannot get Nagelsmann, might as well get this vampire.

Potter was in full politician mode when asked about United on Sky.

Refused to criticise Ten Hag's tactics when talking about the Spurs game. Refused to answer when asked if United had talked to him over the summer. Refused to answer if he'd be interested in the United job if it came up.

IMO, Luis Enrique is the best manager that might be attainable next summer. He might not want to leave PSG given the project he has going there with all the young players but that club goes through managers very quickly and he has never stayed at a job very long himself so it wouldn't be a shock if he became available. Not something you can count on, but a situation I would definitely be monitoring throughout this year.

United need somebody who has the tactical chops to compete at the highest level and is also a culture setter with very high standards regarding work rate and commitment to the cause who will have no problem pushing out even the biggest players like Bruno and Rashford if necessary. Luis Enrique is one of the few managers out there that has both qualities.
If not fired I cannot see him leaving. Especially not mid season

Interesting is that Flick is doing well at Barca after a poor spell, Bayern or Chelsea also appointed not the hottest prospects but it seems to work out nice. Maybe we should also think outside of the box

I'm a fan of Iraola.

High energy football. Width. Exciting.

Bournemouth have been a joy to watch since he was appointed.
His Rayo Vallecano was even "better" for a neutral to watch, very very insane risk-taking compared to Bournemouth now.

Enrique would have a heart attack first days training watching our midfielders try and keep the ball. Agree with everything you said regarding his personality and not being afraid to make big decisions.

We need a Klopp type manager someone who can get the maximum amount out of his players. Our recruitment has been so poor since ETH took over. A guy like Enrique who has a set style of play would need another £600 million to get us playing his brand of football. But I do enjoy watching his teams.

Interesting is that Flick is doing well at Barca after a poor spell, Bayern or Chelsea also appointed not the hottest prospects but it seems to work out nice. Maybe we should also think outside of the box

In fairness we have tried it all. The proven trophy managers failed, the overachieving manager with a smaller club failed, the club legend failed.

You reckon he'd suit United?
Honestly it would wild experiment, as high defensive line as Spurs had vs that infamous Chelsea game. Our full backs would be liability IMO, they need to be fricking insane at tracking back.

There was a reason he changed that coming to Premier League, because it would have got him cooked at Bournemouth.

I’d be surprised if it’s £17m. We won’t have renewed with ten Hag without provisions.
We didn't renew. We exercised our one-year option on the existing contract since ETH and the club management couldn't agree on new terms.

What it ETH leaves, Ruud takes over and we win 10 on the bounce? Does he get a long term contract?
Probably - if we're being honest, the fan pressure to appoint him permanently would inevitably be overwhelming.

If we get Southgate I will suspend my support of this club indefinitely.
All this Southgate talk is fuelled purely by the ABU's in the media, Agbonlahorm, Cundy, Sutton etc.. it's bullshit really, they're only saying to piss off listeners in the hope they will call in.

Potter was a complete embarrassment at Chelsea. There is no way he can fix this mess and handle these egos

It would have to be interim for now I feel. No team owner will let their asset leave in October or Decemeber - not for a lot of money anyway. We're talking £20-30mil in compensation at least. Chelsea/Brighton and Potter has already set that precedent recently. Unless it's a sure thing which, nothing is, I doubt INEOS would take that gamble.

Other options are anyone not in a job right now - Tuchel, Southgate, Zidane etc. Don't think any of them other than Southgate wants to come. Maybe an outside punt on someone like Terzic who is unemployed?

Basically if we are lining up someone already in a job then I'd say we will have to wait until summer unfortunately.

Yeah, I agree. I very much doubt the top brass are willing or able to shell out the level of compensation to take a manager from a top flight club early in the season. Which is understandable if PSR issues are to be believed then it just doesn't make sense either.

It'll be someone sat at home on their sofa now or someone already at the club stepping up. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Potter or RVN til the end of the season. It just leaves me fearing we end up in an Ole situation again with the interim outperforming expectations early and then failing in the longer term.

The only exception I think could be a manager from a lower league, like Carrick. But I don't think that'd happen to be honest.