Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 18 1.8%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 104 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 46 4.6%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 54 5.4%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 172 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 130 13.0%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.1%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 64 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Amorim is easily my top choice.

My justifications:
  1. He plays high press, vertical transitional football, with lots of ball carrier football which suits our squad way better than whatever the feck ETH is trying to do. He does love his 3 ATB with 2 wing backs so we might need to make some changes, but Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro/Maguire could be great with Mazraoui and Shaw (I know...) or Dalot on either side.
  2. From Sporting fans on him: "He changed the mentality. We were defeatist, unmotivated, and our fans jeered the team almost every game. Today the stadium is vibrant, the fans happy, the players confident. We look like one of the Big Three once again". Does this ring any bells?
  3. Bruno Fernandes and Manual Ugarte played under him before and were great for him.
  4. He was shortlisted by Liverpool, whom although we all hate but can admit that is a far better run club than us, and even had a talk with West Ham, so his willingness to join us is not out of the question.
  5. He took over Braga halfway through a season, won a League Cup 3 weeks later, and then broke Braga's record of having not won in Benfica in 65 years weeks later, winning 10 of his 13 games in charge with +14 GD before leaving for Sporting.
  6. He took over Sporting (in March) when they were very far behind Porto and Benfica in the league for many years, and managed to instill a clear identity into the them within 2 months.
  7. He ended Sporting's drought by winning league title after 19 years without one, and did it so in fashion by almost going the whole season unbeaten, only losing their penultimate game to Benfica after securing the title.
  8. He won 2 league titles in 4 years, including last season, along with 2 league cups, and is so far crushing the league this season.
  9. He replaced Bruno with Goncalves who managed 71 goals and 43 assists in 156 games under him.
  10. He turned Gyokeres into an absolute monster of a striker with 45 goals and 13 assists in 50 games.
  11. Joao Palhinha was about to be sold by Sporting before Amorim came in and made him his starting DM.
  12. He turned Pedro Porro, unimpressive during his loans from City until then, who was loaned for 2 years with a obligatory £7m signing clause, turned him into a good RB and then sold him to Spurs for £40m
  13. He promoted Matheus Nunes (signed for €500k) into the first team squad and made him his starting midfielder. He was eventually signed for £38m by Wolves and then £53m by Man City.
  14. He promoted Nuno Mendes into the first team squad, became the youngest starting XI for Sporting since Ronaldo, and was eventually sold in a loan + obligatory signing fee totaling €47m to PSG.
  15. He promoted Goncalo Ignacio into the first team squad, and became one of the top CB prospects in the world.

My justifications:
  1. He plays high press, vertical transitional football, with lots of ball carrier football which suits our squad way better than whatever the feck ETH is trying to do. He does love his 3 ATB with 2 wing backs so we might need to make some changes, but Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro/Maguire could be great with Mazraoui and Shaw (I know...) or Dalot on either side.
  2. From Sporting fans on him: "He changed the mentality. We were defeatist, unmotivated, and our fans jeered the team almost every game. Today the stadium is vibrant, the fans happy, the players confident. We look like one of the Big Three once again". Does this ring any bells?
  3. Bruno Fernandes and Manual Ugarte played under him before and were great for him.
  4. He was shortlisted by Liverpool, whom although we all hate but can admit that is a far better run club than us, and even had a talk with West Ham, so his willingness to join us is not out of the question.
  5. He took over Braga halfway through a season, won a League Cup 3 weeks later, and then broke Braga's record of having not won in Benfica in 65 years weeks later, winning 10 of his 13 games in charge with +14 GD before leaving for Sporting.
  6. He took over Sporting (in March) when they were very far behind Porto and Benfica in the league for many years, and managed to instill a clear identity into the them within 2 months.
  7. He ended Sporting's drought by winning league title after 19 years without one, and did it so in fashion by almost going the whole season unbeaten, only losing their penultimate game to Benfica after securing the title.
  8. He won 2 league titles in 4 years, including last season, along with 2 league cups, and is so far crushing the league this season.
  9. He replaced Bruno with Goncalves who managed 71 goals and 43 assists in 156 games under him.
  10. He turned Gyokeres into an absolute monster of a striker with 45 goals and 13 assists in 50 games.
  11. Joao Palhinha was about to be sold by Sporting before Amorim came in and made him his starting DM.
  12. He turned Pedro Porro, unimpressive during his loans from City until then, who was loaned for 2 years with a obligatory £7m signing clause, turned him into a good RB and then sold him to Spurs for £40m
  13. He promoted Matheus Nunes (signed for €500k) into the first team squad and made him his starting midfielder. He was eventually signed for £38m by Wolves and then £53m by Man City.
  14. He promoted Nuno Mendes into the first team squad, became the youngest starting XI for Sporting since Ronaldo, and was eventually sold in a loan + obligatory signing fee totaling €47m to PSG.
  15. He promoted Goncalo Ignacio into the first team squad, and became one of the top CB prospects in the world.
Bruno and Amorin missed each other by 2 months, I believe, but all good on the rest. He is the outstanding young coach in Europe, although some might argue that him being married to a back three could be an issue.

It's his availability that would be more problematic. He's someone it would be easier to get in the summer, and even then it would take a lot to buy him out of his contract, as Liverpool discovered in the summer just gone. He is also said to be quite rigid in his principles even beyond the back three stuff, so very much seems like a "death or glory" appointment.

I just want a coach. We're set up now for a coach. A manager with his fingers in every pie defeats the purpose of the structure we've just set about implementing behind the scenes.

Bruno and Amorin missed each other by 2 months, I believe, but all good on the rest. He is the outstanding young coach in Europe, although some might argue that him being married to a back three could be an issue.

It's his availability that would be more problematic. He's someone it would be easier to get in the summer, and even then it would take a lot to buy him out of his contract, as Liverpool discovered in the summer just gone. He is also said to be quite rigid in his principles even beyond the back three stuff, so very much seems like a "death or glory" appointment.

I just want a coach. We're set up now for a coach. A manager with his fingers in every pie defeats the purpose of the structure we've just set about implementing behind the scenes.
I actually think we have the squad to play a back 3 now, and I'd welcome the tactical change and a shift away from the 'United way' that has plagued us since SAF retired.

Something like this would look great to me

Zirkzee/Hojlund
Rashford/Garnacho..............Amad/Antony

Mount/Bruno.......Mainoo/Ugarte
Shaw/New LB......................Dalot/Mazraoui
Martinez....De Ligt....Yoro
With a new LB or Dalot inverting, and Martinez or Yoro stepping up into midfield, I imagine we'd have enough bodies in midfield to dominate the ball, while still maintaining our width.

Maybe I'm just clamouring for any kind of significant change, but that looks like a really promising and young XI

My choice would Unai Emery - incredible job at Villa and he's tactically astute. Whatever happens, we need to get Ten Hag out asap.

I did not realize that. That's a great start. I can see INEOS wanting a more proven manager but I'd be fine with McKenna.
Yeah can see it being Tuchel as he'd make us instantly more competitive and top 4 contenders. That's if Tuchel is interested.

What I don't understand is what happened, and what keeps happening.

ETH was a hot prospect when we hired him. Now it's all turned out like this. Players do well for other clubs and sign here, and then inevitably fail.

Why is this club a graveyard for both players and managers? It's like everyone who comes here just turns to absolute crap.

Is it because we gave ETH such control of transfers and he's bought badly? Are our training and coaching methods rubbish? Is it still the hangover from the Glazer administration? Or is the universe just hell bent on paying us back for decades of success under Fergie, with interest?
I said to mates in the pub a few nights ago that the last decade has felt like punishment for the Ferguson years of success.

When the inevitable happens, I wonder what the new guy is going to do about the Bruno captaincy issue?

He’s clearly and obviously a poor fit to the role, and his football would benefit massively from being relieved of it and having a proper leader holding him accountable on the field.

But will he see it that way or will stripping him of the armband cause an absolute clusterfeck of ego and tantrums?

Imagine the Glazers now, giggling back in Florida. Texting Big Jim. "Great manager we signed right! You are welcome. And since you are responsible for the football side of things, please don't get back to us before you solved this".

They always win, don't they.

Bring in Tuchel. He can give you solid base and will make you fight for top 4 and will give a very good run in cup competitions. From there you can decide whether you will continue with him or not.
I’m persuaded more and more towards this idea.

My justifications:
Nice summary, will he come to this shit show?

When the inevitable happens, I wonder what the new guy is going to do about the Bruno captaincy issue?

He’s clearly and obviously a poor fit to the role, and his football would benefit massively from being relieved of it and having a proper leader holding him accountable on the field.

But will he see it that way or will stripping him of the armband cause an absolute clusterfeck of ego and tantrums?
It not an issue, many coaches have phased out captains more influential than Bruno - Mou had to deal with Rooney for example, ETH had to deal with the Maguire saga, who was captain for Moyes, Vidic?

I can’t look past them going for Potter. Tuchel just seems such a pain to deal with for anyone above him and isn’t exactly someone known for developing youth and putting an arm round young players; he’ll happily name and shame players in the media over and over again and I think we’ve been done with that kind of personality since Mou was here.

I admit I never really watched Bayern at the time, so not sure what happened there. I guess the risk is that perhaps Tuchel is past his best and on the downward slide, in the same way that LVG and Mourinho were before we signed them. Alternatively perhaps it just didn't work out at Bayern but he's still fully capable of implementing the basics here.

It's a risk, but every manager that's realistically available carries a risk. Thankfully I'm not the one making the decision.
I think the problems Tuchel had at Bayern weren't his coaching abilities but his men management.
He didn't click with several key players, questioned the abilities of Kimmich, Goretzka, de Ligt amongst other abs was never able to form a real with a good team spirit like Kompany achieved in only a few months.
Glad he left the club. The atmosphere was pretty toxic under his reign.

I hope the manager search we started in the summer did not end and we continued with our search secretly. Omar and Ashworth leading this.

My justifications:

All very impressive, but I don't want a new manager who's going to try and build a team around Bruno. We've had enough of that shit for the past 3 years.

Amorin is someone, I would like to see here, but to be FRANK. I want Thomas from Brentford.

ETH goes which i now think he should, we will end up with Southgate. We can pontificate all we want about who we would like.
Unfortunately i think It will be Southgate.

If you had the following two choices, what would you pick?

1, ten Hag until the end of the season.

2, ten Hag sacked today, Southgate appointed tomorrow.

Any takers at all for 2?

ETH goes which i now think he should, we will end up with Southgate. We can pontificate all we want about who we would like.
Unfortunately i think It will be Southgate.
Confident it won’t be Southgate

If you don't see the issue with mcguire, rashford, bruno and casemiro my friend, its on you. How many managers these people have worked with so far? How many more managers will need to lose their job before we realize these players we kept on a pedestal need to take some responsibilities too?

What kind of pedestals were these players put on? Especially Maguire

What do you mean by that? The guy was one of the best defenders in the league for 2 seasons under Ole and yet received nothing by abuse from millions of clueless football fans

Then got benched by ETH 2 years ago and hasn't kicked up a fuss or said a bad word about anyone or anything since then

His salary is pretty reasonable too

I think you're just rambling but even yourself aren't sure what it's about

Why not just go balls to the walls and hire Kjetil Knutsen. Guy has made a good European side out of a town of fishermen and farmers

I think the problems Tuchel had at Bayern weren't his coaching abilities but his men management.
He didn't click with several key players, questioned the abilities of Kimmich, Goretzka, de Ligt amongst other abs was never able to form a real with a good team spirit like Kompany achieved in only a few months.
Glad he left the club. The atmosphere was pretty toxic under his reign.
de Ligt was sold, Goretzka is barely playing now and apparently the club was open to sell him as well. While I agree on the atmosphere that wasn't great, I don't think in regard to the player judgement he disagreed much with the rest of the club. Kimmich being bit of an exception, but my feeling is that Kimmich actually profited from being moved to RB for a while to "calm down" a bit, he truly wasn't great in midfield for some time.

Really hope it's not Tuchel

Could work

But his downside is huge. He's left Bayern in a bad way compared to how he inherited them and he sounds like a 'difficult' character at best according to all those he's worked for

Any takers at all for 2?

I would 100% take option 2.

I know how ETH until the end of the season plays out, and Southgate couldn't do much worse. At least he'd bring #vibez

I think it'll be Ruud, even on an interim/see the season out basis. There must be a reason he came and turned down manager jobs in the summer and i think there may be something in that. Whether it will work or not is a different point but i can see that being the route we go.

I think it'll be Ruud, even on an interim/see the season out basis. There must be a reason he came and turned down manager jobs in the summer and i think there may be something in that. Whether it will work or not is a different point but i can see that being the route we go.

Yep. There's no way he didn't take the job without thinking "there's a good chance I get a crack at this in a few months".

Before Ole got the job, I wanted Allegri. Not so sure now although I think he might be the tough man needed: we so often look less fit than opponents. Won't take sh!t in the dressing room - I can't help feeling something akin to the bad all days is going on. He is, of course, avaialable, but it would be fair to question why

I'm not 100% on board with it, but I do think this is probably the most likely step we should take.

Tuchel just might be the best to instil the basics and general patterns of play into this team, which then makes it much easier for the next guy to build on. Or hell, maybe he might take us all the way himself.
He can take you all the way by himself. He needed very good backup from your board. If he has your board backup and don't interfere with first team he will give the best set up with the players he has at his disposal. He won't ask time or new signings. You are lucky if you get him on my opinion.

Any takers at all for 2?

This looks like a scenario from Saw.

My justifications:

You need to email this to Dan Ashworth? So many good points. We actually have the players to make three at the back work. Be great if he could bring Gyokrees with him.