Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 18 1.8%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 105 10.5%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 46 4.6%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 54 5.4%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 172 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 128 12.8%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 173 17.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 64 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
No, the problem for Zidane is the language. He speaks English at a basic level but his style of management requires close communication with the players at a daily basis..
"No" what? I never said language wasn't an issue. But even if we wave a magic wand and gave him good English, he's still not going to elect to manage a mid-table team on his return to club football.

Emery would be my pick
He’s proven himself in the league, has worked with big clubs, had some great cup runs.

He’s got the perfect resume.
Only problem would be convincing Villa to let him go.

Agree, but the many calls for McKenna must reflect the British blind spot on here. There are many promising managers in other leagues, especially Germany - and if we were to hire one from PL Maresca and Frank should be front runners.

You say we shouldn't go for McKenna and people want him because he's British and then go on to say we should try for Maresca? They were managing in the same league last season and it was McKenna that won manager of the season.

He's unbeaten in his last 4 premiere league games after just being promoted and has only been beaten by City and Liverpool and even that was by an aggregate score of 6-1 combined which is still miles better than the losses we manage against them.

I agree there are loads of mangers that we could try and get but McKenna should definitely be one of them.

Problem we have now is if we don't want to go with an interim there is probably only Mckena or Hoenes that we could pinch. Managers like Inzaghi, Amorim, Alonso and Naglesmann all have their eye on winning something this season with the teams they have now.

Last edited:
You say we shouldn't go for McKenna and people want him because he's British and then go on to say we should try for Maresca? They were managing in the same league last season and it was McKenna that won manager of the season.

He's unbeaten in his last 4 premiere league games after just being promoted and has only been beaten by City and Liverpool and even that was by an aggregate score of 6-1 combined which is still miles better than the losses we manage against them.

I agree there are loads of mangers that we could try and get but McKenna should definitely be one of them.

Problem we have now is if we don't wont to go with an interim there is probably only Mckena or Hoenes that we could pinch. Managers like Inzaghi, Amorim, Alonso and Naglesmann all have their eye on winning something this season with the teams they have now.
Yes, I phrased it wrong. I just meant that there should be calls for many others as well

Honestly we are not an attraction for any big manager with further aspirations or an up and coming manager.

What do we have to offer? A team full of players that wouldn’t get into a top 4 team. Players who don’t care and are happy to pick up a wage.

Emery would be an incredible appointment but really would he want to come? I’m guessing no

Honestly, go all out for Guardiola. Contract is up at the end of the season. Give him the biggest managerial deal of all time. He's the best in the world and makes players better. Plus City fans would be crushed.

Ruud until another name can be found. Southgate seems favourite majority of fans would not be happy with that but even with the seemingly negative tactics at the WC and EUROS England were still organised and had a game plan. I'd take it. Eth has no idea.

Personally, I want tuchel

Honestly, go all out for Guardiola. Contract is up at the end of the season. Give him the biggest managerial deal of all time. He's the best in the world and makes players better. Plus City fans would be crushed.
Come on pal.
You obviously took a minute or so writing that and that's more than enough time to realise it's very daft.

Come on pal.
You obviously took a minute or so writing that and that's more than enough time to realise it's very daft.
Exactly. How he typed out "City fans" plural without doing a double take is madness.

Agree, but the many calls for McKenna must reflect the British blind spot on here. There are many promising managers in other leagues, especially Germany - and if we were to hire one from PL Maresca and Frank should be front runners.
Well Manchester United is a British club, playing and based in Britain, so it is logical for a young British manager to be highly touted on here.

Also, I don't think it's only to do with nationality. It's also about being familiar with the country (in terms of playing style) and the club.

Those that say there isn’t a suitable available replacement must realise that the current malaise would probably lift immediately even with an interim manager like Ruud.

To do nothing now would be criminal.

I'm not sold on Ruud doing a great job. He might but there's no track record to prove it. And we don't want to go through the process of giving him the job after a few good results full time.

Realistically it will be Potter or Southgate. Brexit Jim will go for the well spoken Englishman. Potter didn't pull out of the Leicester job at the 11th hour last summer for nothing.

Realistically it will be Potter or Southgate. Brexit Jim will go for the well spoken Englishman. Potter didn't pull out of the Leicester job at the 11th hour last summer for nothing.
Potter would be a big upgrade on ETH. He did very well at Brighton and Swansea - played a very good style with a clear style and tactics - was unfortunate at Chelsea to come in at that time with clown world in full swing.

We could do worse. Much worse if Southgate is in the running.

Yeah, I'm also thinking Potter.

If you give me 24-48 hours to get myself hyped, I could get really into Potter.

"No" what? I never said language wasn't an issue. But even if we wave a magic wand and gave him good English, he's still not going to elect to manage a mid-table team on his return to club football.
Language is the main issue:
Zinedine Zidane has ruled himself out of taking over from Erik Ten Hag as manager of Premier League club Manchester United as he feels his English wouldn’t be at the level required to allow him to do the job properly.

Zidane reveals the reason he won’t manage in England​

Even if Ten Hag does eventually go, though, Zidane won’t be the man replacing him. In an interview with L’Équipe, the Frenchman was asked about the chances of him ever turning up at Old Trafford:

“Would I want to go to Manchester United? I understand English, but I’m not completely fluent in it. I know that there are coaches who go to clubs without speaking the language, but I work in a different way. Many elements come into play in order to win, and I know what I need to win.”

Those that say there isn’t a suitable available replacement must realise that the current malaise would probably lift immediately even with an interim manager like Ruud.

To do nothing now would be criminal.
Of course we have to do something. We have been at rock bottom in terms of performances since the league cup win in Feb 2023.(Bar a couple of great FA cup games) But you're settings yourself up for disappointment if you think performances and results will improve dramatically.

It was suppose to lift when Ole was replaced by an intern. It had no real impact because the squad was full of toxic players just not good enough. Same as now. Too many egos who arent going to listen to somebody who is only here till next May.

Zidane in a heartbeat. We should go all out for him. Surely he still has a big club job in him before the French job. We need a big character back in charge of these players. The language thing can be worked around I’m sure.

I honestly think Frank would have done a decent job if we'd gone for him in the summer. He's adaptable and might have found a way to get these players working together.

Right now, I just don't see who is out there who would come in. Zidane is a fanciful idea, don't see him coming within a hundred miles of United, he has such a high reputation and it would be such a risky move.

Maybe Xavi? ... I fear it would be Potter.

Zidane in a heartbeat. We should go all out for him. Surely he still has a big club job in him before the French job. We need a big character back in charge of these players. The language thing can be worked around I’m sure.

Based on the above quote it sounds like Z sees himself more of a man manager/motivator than some tactical genius.

Some will say hes not the right man for the job, and im not even sure he is or not, but I think that they brought Ruud in to take over from Ten Hag if they need to sack him.

Surely in their review INEOS must have indetified a manager to go after in case we have to sack ETH?

I would imagine they have contingency plans lined up, to stick with Ten Hag when they probably weren't planning to it would make sense to have some idea of what they would do if things went south.

God knows what their plan is though.

Potter and Southgate as joint managers. That way when it goes tits up we sack them both thus killing two birds with one stone