Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 18 1.8%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 104 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 46 4.6%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 54 5.4%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 172 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 129 12.9%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 173 17.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 64 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Truth is there aren’t many available managers around that will outlast Ole or Ten Hag in terms of not loosing the dressing room. We seem to reset well when a new manager comes in but then after a year, or a few months it all withers away.. Even Mourinho lost the plot with this lot. New players have come in, sure, but the culture in the dressing room is still the same I suspect. It’s in the walls.
These overpaid, entitled divas need an authoritative, charismatic figure like Fergie, Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti or the like to keep them motivated and playing well over time. Not a robot like Ten Hag who’s poor even at basic communication.
I would fecking love to have McKenna succed at United but I have a feeling it could be Ole all over again after a few months if the players lose belief in him. Would not wish that upon him for sure.

Without a doubt one of them should have replaced Fergie in 2013 not fecking Moyes. Yes we got Mourinho in 2016 but he should have also been on the shortlist too. Was never the same manager after the second Chelsea sacking.

Seen a lot of candidates mentioned, however WHO can get these players to actually put in effort

There will be a nice new manager bounce for sure. It always happens after a rigid manager leaves.

Seen a lot of candidates mentioned, however WHO can get these players to actually put in effort

I dont think its just about motivation/man-management. I suspect that the players just dont believe in ETH's ideas anymore. In my eyes, its been obvious for over a season.

These players have not stopped trying. At one point with 10 players we had our best spell. There were also 4 new players in the starting XI.

Being poorly coached/drilled =/= lack of effort

that's just an easy/cheap cliche that people resort to when offering criticism

Paul Scholes, Gary Neville or Les Ferdinand. Those ex united players who criticise so much. They should have a go.

The rot is deep rooted, from upper management and to the academy players who became stars. The culling has to be ruthless, must start with rashford, mcguire, casemiro and to some extent as far as bruno. That will sort things out till we figure out handing big contracts to players and putting them on a pedestal is suicide. How we going to get there, im not sure. This is hopeless.

The rot is deep rooted, from upper management and to the academy players who became stars. The culling has to be ruthless, must start with rashford, mcguire, casemiro and to some extent as far as bruno. That will sort things out till we figure out handing big contracts to players and putting them on a pedestal is suicide. How we going to get there, im not sure. This is hopeless.
We’ve made big chances in upper management.

Personally I’d get a possession based manager in and find a way to get rid of Bruno and Rashford to free up a fortune in wages to sign players suited to that style.

Would Nagelsmann be available or he’s happy with the German NT?

The better these players keep the ball and the more organised they are the less their effort will be an issue. You work hardest or get shown up most for it when you’re chasing shadows.

When you look through our team there’s not many lazy players there. Some, for sure, but the club has to be brave to bin them. The rest are all hard working.

Potter and Southgate as joint managers. That way when it goes tits up we sack them both thus killing two birds with one stone

Joint managers? Our transformation to 90s Liverpool would be complete.

At least we can look forward to winning the CL in 2045 in Istanbul.

We’ve made big chances in upper management.

Personally I’d get a possession based manager in and find a way to get rid of Bruno and Rashford to free up a fortune in wages to sign players suited to that style.

Would Nagelsmann be available or he’s happy with the German NT?

No chance he will move until after World Cup, so need to find someone to do it for couple of seasons

Yeah mate, its Maguire that's the issue who's played 2 games so far and was motm in one of them, the physically declined Casemiro who's being chucked into a non existent midfield, and our two best attacking players of the last 5 years in Rashford and Bruno. :lol:

Do you think yesterday's result was because of Rashford and Bruno? Or Zirkzee and Garnacho maybe? It's the forward line made us look like Fleetwood Town vs Tottenham, right?

And you expect the third biggest club in the world not to "hand out big contracts" to players? But you also want to win the CL and PL, right?

You’d like to think we’d have a succession plan for if this season went tits up. We flirted with enough managers in the summer to have done our homework in that regard.

What INEOS have shown at board level is that they’ve been decisive who they’ve gone for and have been happy to wait for the right appointment. EtH is leading such a charmed life at this point, he’s very lucky there isn’t one incredible standout candidate like when Liverpool got Klopp in otherwise he’d be gone for sure.

I dont think its just about motivation/man-management. I suspect that the players just dont believe in ETH's ideas anymore. In my eyes, its been obvious for over a season.

I've thought that before and then they play ok. But today was clear for me. They knew it.

The better these players keep the ball and the more organised they are the less their effort will be an issue. You work hardest or get shown up most for it when you’re chasing shadows.

When you look through our team there’s not many lazy players there. Some, for sure, but the club has to be brave to bin them. The rest are all hard working.
For me there's only one relatively lazy player, Rashford. One undisciplined player in Bruno.

What I don't understand is what happened, and what keeps happening.

ETH was a hot prospect when we hired him. Now it's all turned out like this. Players do well for other clubs and sign here, and then inevitably fail.

Why is this club a graveyard for both players and managers? It's like everyone who comes here just turns to absolute crap.

Is it because we gave ETH such control of transfers and he's bought badly? Are our training and coaching methods rubbish? Is it still the hangover from the Glazer administration? Or is the universe just hell bent on paying us back for decades of success under Fergie, with interest?
The moment Ten Hag decided that he didn't want United to play like his Ajax team, is the moment he should be sacked.
Imagine getting hired because of one thing the decided to not doing that one thing

Btw if we give it to Ruud until the end of the season within the next 1-2 months, and he reverts to Oleball or just ETH's 22/23 setup, we can probably get top 4 in the end, even if we are trailing our rivals by 10 points by then. The squad is good enough to do that.

The players are lazy argument is such a lazy generalization.
The players are not lazy, but they are hampered by the idiotic tactics our manager put out.

ETH needs to fecking go but we shouldn't expect miracles from anyone coming in as I still think the squad is not up to scratch. The primary issues for me are:

- We don't have a starting LB. Luke Shaw is basically Phil Jones' replacement in the injury room and Malacia was never good enough even before the injury.
- We cannot play a high line with our current CB's. I said it all summer and will keep saying it no matter the wrath of the morons that de Ligt wasn't the right signing for us. We needed a faster CB to pair with Martinez, who is painfully slow. For the fee and wages investment that we have made in de Ligt we should have gotten a younger and a better left sided CB. Hopefully, Yoro will come back fit and take like duck to water, as boy do we need at least one CB with bit of a pace. Maguire, Lindelof and Evans are all meh.
- For CM, again, Ugarte isn't the answer. We need someone who is more cultured on the ball not a technically deficient "Ball winner". No wonder Eriksen, who most thought was defunct has become our most important player. Though as we have seen, with his legs gone he is only decent against lower quality opposition. We need a proper top class starter.
- Zirkzee is the same. We needed a goal scorer with good hold-up play not a #10/False 9 hybrid.

Having said that, the squad is still good enough to perform much better than they have been under ETH for the last two seasons. A manager should be able to make the players play a style of football in his vision. Ange has done that with much lesser resources. Emery has transformed Villa without needing a billion pounds. So, should the next United manager.

Bring in Tuchel. He can give you solid base and will make you fight for top 4 and will give a very good run in cup competitions. From there you can decide whether you will continue with him or not.

For me there's only one relatively lazy player, Rashford. One undisciplined player in Bruno.
Agreed. Not sure about Zirkzee’s output - he seems slow rather than lazy. Rashford oscillates between not working hard and being rubbish off the ball. Bruno works hard but he doesn’t do it intelligently.

Basically it’s not that big a problem. The larger issue is how badly we keep and move the ball. It’s like watching a team that’s missed out on the developments in football over the last 30 years and confused why everyone else is just smarter.

1141307_1141307_middlesbrough-8-1-man-city-840x470.jpg

We need a manager who knows how to put the absolute beating on City. Southgate is the man who did. And Southgate is the man who will do it again.

Bring in Tuchel. He can give you solid base and will make you fight for top 4 and will give a very good run in cup competitions. From there you can decide whether you will continue with him or not.
He is the most obvious choice on a short term contract no matter what the Bayern riff-raff that has infiltrated this forum says. However, for some reason we couldn't come to terms on an agreement with him in the summer. And now he'll be negotiating from a stronger position. Don't think it'll be acceptable to our new best in class overlords.

Last edited:
He is the most obvious choice on a short term contract no matter what the Bayern riff-raff that has infiltrated this forum says. However, for some reason we couldn't come to terms on an agreement with him in the summer. And now he'll be negotiating from a stronger position. Don't think it'll be acceptable to the our new best in class overlords.
He already proved he can navigate a sinking ship to safer position. Players played under him rated him as best tactical coach. He don't need new signings and with Werner Havertz and mount as front he won the fecking CL. Get him now and bring your club where it belongs.

We have a decent squad I think, Ten Hag is absolutely clueless on how to make use of the squad, it's not really about the style all the time, his tactics are crap and easily exposed, style without tactics is meaningless, Spurs knew we were not good at attacking so they used that knowledge well and pressed us as high as they could with numbers and completely dominated us, they took a lot of risks because they knew we couldn't do much with the space they afforded to our players, Ten Hag did not have an answer to that and just insisted on the team playing his style!!!

Another manager would have started with Hojlund to use his pace in chasing long passes instead of Zirkzee, Eriksen instead of Mainoo would've been a better option since Eriksen can cause issues with his one touch long passes against a team that plays very high line, I don't get his choices and tactics at all.

Of course he would. Nobody is going to stay at Aston Villa when the opportunity to manage United arises.

It's fan's thinking like that which is why we have so many accepting mediocrity these days. We are still the biggest club around and need to start acting like it again
Normally I'd agree with you, but not sure about it in this case.

Emery seems to have been set up in a Fergie-like manner at Villa (ie. he is THE main decision maker in footballing matters), and he seems to be personal friends with their very rich owners who are backing him all the way.

I'm not sure he'd leave that to take over here at a time where we are significantly reducing the power the manager has.

Even if we change manager, and it has to be for a top manager.

We still need to replace Shaw, Rashford, Maguire, Lindelof, Casemiro, Eriksen and I'd go all out for a Bruno and Musiala swap deal. Musiala is running his contract down for a reason so we might aswell move Bruno on who is pissing off most fans anyway at this point.

It's time to kick on, whether it's with Ten Hag or not.

It's not effort mate. Look at our games again. Our players put in plenty of effort to win the ball back. The problem starts when they are in possession. It's as if they don't know what to do with the ball.

Just look at our match how easily Spurs kept the ball ticking. Meanwhile every time we got the ball we would lose it in 3-4 touches max. It's clearly a problem with coaching your side.

No chance on Alonso.

Ex-Liverpool, challenging for the title yet again, and almost guaranteed the Bayern job if Kompany doesn't succeed.
He was guaranteed the Bayern job this season if he wanted it. He turned it (and the Liverpool job) down, and I'd say it's already been organised that he will take over at Real in a year or two.

What is the use of interim anyway? I get it when you sack manager in April or if manager who you want insists finishing season in current club. But in all other situations it has no sense.
Sooner manager comes in, he has more time to implement his style of play, evaluate players and prepare a team for next season.