Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 18 1.8%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 104 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 46 4.6%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 54 5.4%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 172 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 129 12.9%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 173 17.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 64 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Throwing out a left field name... Ernesto Valverde anyone? Two la liga titles at Barca and won Bilbao their first trophy in 40 years last season

What I don't understand is what happened, and what keeps happening.

ETH was a hot prospect when we hired him. Now it's all turned out like this. Players do well for other clubs and sign here, and then inevitably fail.

Why is this club a graveyard for both players and managers? It's like everyone who comes here just turns to absolute crap.

Is it because we gave ETH such control of transfers and he's bought badly? Are our training and coaching methods rubbish? Is it still the hangover from the Glazer administration? Or is the universe just hell bent on paying us back for decades of success under Fergie, with interest?

I think it has to be a young manager with the ego big enough to try it. I don't really care how many trophies he's won before. Right now, whether or not someone has a track record of winning the Champions League is probably as relevant a qualification for us as is whether or not they've ever won the WWF championship. Someone who can evidence that he has got the best out of players before, built a reputation and overachieved - even if the achievement hasn't necessarily led to silverware thus far.

I would happily take Mckenna.

What he has done at Ipswich is incredible (back to back promotions) and even at the academy level he was very good.

Has previous experience at United too and plays attacking football.

De Zerbi was the one to go for. As that ship has sailed it’ll probably be someone obvious enough like Tuchel/Potter. Would like it to be someone with some sort of clear playing style - very differing styles but could get excited about any one of Emery, Alonso, Nagelsmann. Maybe Arteta could be convinced?

Cesc Fàbregas! :drool:

De Zerbi was the one to go for. As that ship has sailed it’ll probably be someone obvious enough like Tuchel/Potter. Would like it to be someone with some sort of clear playing style - very differing styles but could get excited about any one of Emery, Alonso, Nagelsmann. Maybe Arteta could be convinced?

Arteta is surely one of the least likely names to be suggested so far.

McKenna, Amorim are probably 2 that may come mid season. Available ones, tuchel, potter, and the one that worries me is Southgate.

I want us to play with as much passion & game management as both sides in the Atletico vs Real did atm, is it too much to ask?

McKenna with 4 draws so far in 6 games (other 2 defeats against Liverpool and City) seems like a decent start to PL season for Ipswich. Won't be surprised if we go for him at some point this season.

Maresca doing well at Chelsea so far is good in a way that perhaps Pochettino wasn't the answer either, seems like they've improved without him (though it felt like they were improving under him with time as well).

McKenna would be exciting in one way, Tuchel in other. I'm not sure about others. I like Potter but he failed at Chelsea and then there's Southgate and don't think anyone would be excited about that really. De Zerbi ship has sailed obviously.

I'm sure McKenna will be able to whip these players into shape. He has an overbearing personality, loads of PL and CL experience and certainly wasn't part of a previously failed regime here. Definitely someone who will instantly command respect.

McKenna has a new long term contract at Ipswich so unlikely, imo. Not sure Tuchel would even take this ‘project’ on now, given where we are. Any other big names likewise. Very difficult to see where we go now. Sacking EtH and a lot of the coaching staff, plus hiring a new team, will cost a lot of money we probably don’t have. I’m resigned to the probability we are stuck with him for the rest of this season. Doubt we will spend much, if anything in January, in order to have a summer budget for next season and new manager. How could things go so t*ts-up this early after backing him?

I'm sure McKenna will be able to whip these players into shape. He has an overbearing personality, loads of PL and CL experience and certainly wasn't part of a previously failed regime here. Definitely someone who will instantly command respect.
I reckon KMcK would lose the dressing room if his tactics don't click fast. Which they will not. Thanks to the players.

Id take Southgate at this rate. Anyone but EtH.

Insanity.

How would people feel about Andoni Iraola?

He's a good but not great coach.

Call me mental but what about Marco Silva? I've always thought he was a good manager who never really has been given the chance at a bigger club. I think he has a good head for tactics and has a confident personality.

Call me mental but what about Marco Silva? I've always thought he was a good manager who never really has been given the chance at a bigger club. I think he has a good head for tactics and has a confident personality.
He’s underrated for sure. His stint at Everton might put people off but he’s a good operator. I’ve always liked him. Not sure he’s the man for United but I definitely like him.

Agreed. I could stand behind that appointment. I like his tactics and definitely got some charisma. Cool character.

He's a good but not great coach.

Fair enough; however, he’s only 42 and seems to have got his head around the intensity needed to compete in the Premier League. I feel like I remember reports saying his Rayo Vallecano team was fierce and contained loads of players who worked like dogs. Also got Solanke firing last season, in fairness to him.

If I was drawing up a shortlist, he would be on there and I feel like he would outline an impressive vision for the club and the way his teams should play.

McKenna with 4 draws so far in 6 games (other 2 defeats against Liverpool and City) seems like a decent start to PL season for Ipswich. Won't be surprised if we go for him at some point this season.

Maresca doing well at Chelsea so far is good in a way that perhaps Pochettino wasn't the answer either, seems like they've improved without him (though it felt like they were improving under him with time as well).

McKenna would be exciting in one way, Tuchel in other. I'm not sure about others. I like Potter but he failed at Chelsea and then there's Southgate and don't think anyone would be excited about that really. De Zerbi ship has sailed obviously.

I did not realize that. That's a great start. I can see INEOS wanting a more proven manager but I'd be fine with McKenna.

Truth is there aren’t many available managers around that will outlast Ole or Ten Hag in terms of not loosing the dressing room. We seem to reset well when a new manager comes in but then after a year, or a few months it all withers away.. Even Mourinho lost the plot with this lot. New players have come in, sure, but the culture in the dressing room is still the same I suspect. It’s in the walls.
These overpaid, entitled divas need an authoritative, charismatic figure like Fergie, Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti or the like to keep them motivated and playing well over time. Not a robot like Ten Hag who’s poor even at basic communication.
I would fecking love to have McKenna succed at United but I have a feeling it could be Ole all over again after a few months if the players lose belief in him. Would not wish that upon him for sure.

Well Manchester United is a British club, playing and based in Britain, so it is logical for a young British manager to be highly touted on here.

Also, I don't think it's only to do with nationality. It's also about being familiar with the country (in terms of playing style) and the club.
Of course, and as I said in another post I should’ve clarified that I’ve nothing against McKenna. I just think the club should look abroad

I don't know who INEOS would be looking for. Could be a young upcoming coach or a experienced one. A big name or one who's success has gone slightly under the radar. Who the feck knows. And I'm not sure they really know either.

There's always good coaches out there, it's just hard to get that chance, you can't always show it at a weaker club. Give McKenna or someone a go. Ashworth and Wilcox and co should have the ability to pick someone out, that's what they are there for.

There's always good coaches out there, it's just hard to get that chance, you can't always show it at a weaker club. Give McKenna or someone a go. Ashworth and Wilcox and co should have the ability to pick someone out, that's what they are there for.
If ashworth is pushing Southgate then perhaps we shouldn’t take his opinion seriously.

I’d go RVN as Interim then possibly McKenna he’s done wonders with Ipswich.

If they bring Southgate in I’ll give up on football

Well certainly would lose any hope for this club, there is a reason he hasn't managed a club team since Middlesbrough in 2009.

McKenna would make most sense. Pay whatever Ipswich want for him. Kompany, Maresca, even Ange showing that managers from lower leagues can function at bigger clubs.