Life after ETH — the next United manager

Kinda crazy there's no obvious choices or anyone left that can do the job. There's no Guardiola, Klopp or even a Pochettino anywhere right now. Nagalsmann is probably a good pick and I think he could be a good fit for us. However he's not leaving the current job soon enough.

Should’ve got Flick when he was available, we’ll probably have to take a chance on an up and coming manager, don’t see anyone well established whose available or willing to come here like Zidane.

He’s not joint top, he’s second, as PSG have a better goal difference :lol: and it’s literally only been 5 games too.

Did you say we shared the title with City in 2012?
Joint top on same points. Same thing. It’s obviously different when you win the league, that’s when you look at GD

I think just saying someone doesn’t understand the topic means you don’t understand how to have a reasonable debate. A quality of a manager and how many trophies you win isn’t linear for me. I’d put Klopp at Pep’s level if not higher, but he didn’t win nearly as much in his career as Pep has.
I can have a reasonable debate. I just don’t think your right when your saying a manager that’s won more than the other 2 and your saying he’s not as good. Southgate is atrocious and potter showed us what he can do at Chelsea.

Should’ve got Flick when he was available, we’ll probably have to take a chance on an up and coming manager, don’t see anyone well established whose available or willing to come here like Zidane.
I have Flick in top3 current managers, it would’ve been great to have him.

In a hypothetical scenario where Klopp didn't leave Liverpool, and Ten Hag left, who on here would've picked Arnie Slot?

The name doesn't really matter. The point is there doesn't need to be concensus amongst fans, we have experienced and knowledgeable people employed by Ineos to find a suitable candidate out of the thousands of football managers who exist around the world.

I have a very hard time believing that no one exists (outside of the obvious handful of high profile names) who couldn't do a good job with the squad we have. Sticking with a manager we already know to be shit, simply because we can't hire Pep or Klopp or Ancelotti, seems very short sighted and lacking in ambition.

There may well be thousands of managers in the world but the number with the requisite quality, style and availability is significantly smaller. Besides, I'm really hoping the club has gone past the days of sacking managers, and only trying to then figure out what it wants to do next.

I think Ineos took the entirely sensible decision to give themselves a season to decide on their over-arching strategy and footballing infrastructure before picking another manager. Then they could get the right fitting person into the role. I think if there were a no brainer option - like when Klopp was floating around when Liverpool still had Rodgers - then I think the club would move right now. But the lack of that obvious choice is why we're in this limbo. That risks writing off this season, but to be honest, that's the price we pay for the mistakes of the past.

I can have a reasonable debate. I just don’t think your right when your saying a manager that’s won more than the other 2 and your saying he’s not as good. Southgate is atrocious and potter showed us what he can do at Chelsea.
Chelsea's squad was a complete mess of random new players at the time. Potter's certainly not one of my preferred options, but I'd probably take him ahead of ETH if it was a straight choice. It's getting to the point that we know what ETH is capable of and that it's not good enough, while 'maybe' Potter might do better (even if only for a season or so).

Southgate...yeah, he's one of the few I would 100% not want to replace ETH for.

I didn’t say he isn’t as good though, did I? I said he isn’t any more proven in England which for me he isn’t. It’s not even about being right or wrong, I just think him winning two cups with us isn’t necessarily more impressive than the job Potter did with Brighton; obviously he isn’t going to win the FA Cup there, but I think he got as much out of the resources available as Ten Hag has done with us so far.

For once I'll say this, throw the money at Alonso, Inzaghi, Nagelsmann or whoever is actually worth it and will elevate our game.

We've shown we can be one step ahead of Real (Yoro), so if Alonso is the right candidate then give him a package he cannot turn down. No compromise, except transfers and the club's vision.

I’ve been hyping him up a lot already but Seb Hoeness from Stuttgart is the next big thing for me. Dismantled BVB 5-1 on the weekend.

I watched them against Real and thought they were unlucky not to get something from the game. Be very rare for united to get manager ahead of the curve.

That's revisionism at it's finnest. He was far from a hipster choice, but rather the next big thing. His playstyle at Ajax was literally hailed as the best version of both Pep and Klopp.

Bayern and Barca were interested in him, however in Barca's case they didn't have the money to trigger his release clause at the time and Bayern were stuck with Naglesmann. Totenham was also interested in his services, but supposedly turned them down.

There is a reason he won the vote by landslide after we sacked Ole. I think 90% of the caf wanted him here.
I thought Spurs turned him down with all the talk about concerns about his language and lack of charisma

That's revisionism at it's finnest. He was far from a hipster choice, but rather the next big thing. His playstyle at Ajax was literally hailed as the best version of both Pep and Klopp.

Bayern and Barca were interested in him, however in Barca's case they didn't have the money to trigger his release clause at the time and Bayern were stuck with Naglesmann. Totenham was also interested in his services, but supposedly turned them down.

There is a reason he won the vote by landslide after we sacked Ole. I think 90% of the caf wanted him here.

Erik was always the correct decision given the market at the time for managers and the conditions of the club. In business there are two elements of value that always need to align for a product or service to be successful that's perceived value and intrinsic value.

Erik was acquired on behalf of his perceived value (premise of the football and accomplishment at Ajax) and he's done nothing but fail to deliver intrinsically.

The onus under such circumstances is not on fans perception, but the managers own incompetence to bring projected success into fruition.

As others have stated Slott / Maresca weren't exactly choices that win a noble popularity prize but they were hired on account of the club's respective vision likely aligning with data and metrics to support that decision.

If INEOS announce an appointment that isn't on everyone's wish-list it will likely be a good decision considering the club would use it's own prudence and deliberation to come to consensus on who the next coach should be.

It's just not Hollywood names...Slot has done well so far. Ineos has hired shrewdly so next manager ,we will be fine.
Slot has done well so far at maintaining what Klopp has put in place. He’s putting his own stamp on it with his tactics but it’s not like he has to start from scratch.

I don’t see Slot coming in and sorting this mess out. I do think it needs to be a Hollywood name. Someone with an elite reputation who has dealt with big dressing rooms and who can put a team of overpaid slackers to work.

There were quite a few rumours about why Amorin didn't get the Liverpool job, with two of them being that he wanted too much power in transfers or (and?) that he was very specific about what tactics the team would use and they weren't what Liverpool wanted. If those are true he's probably not the one we should go for either. Well, not unless the tactics he wanted is also similar to what Utd's new hierarchy want us to play with.

Just feel like we could potentially play his formation, not sure about what his demands are, but Sporting have been good to watch, currently 6/6 +18 GD only conceding 2 goals.

Don’t really like the idea of Tuchel, not sure why, just don’t.

For once I'll say this, throw the money at Alonso, Inzaghi, Nagelsmann or whoever is actually worth it and will elevate our game.

We've shown we can be one step ahead of Real (Yoro), so if Alonso is the right candidate then give him a package he cannot turn down. No compromise, except transfers and the club's vision.
"Our problem" with Xabi Alonso is of course.....does he want to coach Liverpool in the future?

But maybe only Real Madrid is his dream job.....
and the Liverpool coaching would be nice but not so important.

Like you have said.....If there is a chance to get Xabi Alonso then "Give him a package he cannot turn down"!!!!!

We wouldn't need 4-5 new signings for the Starting XI in the next summer transfer window with him (like under Ten Hag).....just for example Frimpong & Theo Hernandez for the Starting XI and then 2-3 players to improve the bench options.

3-5-2 would improve this team.....the current 4-2-3-1 doesn't work.

Starting XI
Onana - Yoro, De Ligt, Martinez - Frimpong, Fernandes, Ugarte, Mainoo, Hernandez - Hojlund, Zirkzee

Bench
Bayindir - Lindelöf, Maguire, Shaw - Mazraoui, Mount/Amad, Casemiro, Eriksen, Dalot - Garnacho, Rashford

In a hypothetical scenario where Klopp didn't leave Liverpool, and Ten Hag left, who on here would've picked Arnie Slot?

The name doesn't really matter. The point is there doesn't need to be concensus amongst fans, we have experienced and knowledgeable people employed by Ineos to find a suitable candidate out of the thousands of football managers who exist around the world.

I have a very hard time believing that no one exists (outside of the obvious handful of high profile names) who couldn't do a good job with the squad we have. Sticking with a manager we already know to be shit, simply because we can't hire Pep or Klopp or Ancelotti, seems very short sighted and lacking in ambition.
I find myself in complete agreement with the points raised. The multitude of names that have been quoted surely demonstrates the almost impossible job of recruiting the exact person for the (soon to be advertised) job. I would suggest the majority of United fans would have welcomed the previous appointments of van Gaal and Mourinho, two of the top managers in world football, and yet both sacked. Perhaps the new "team" of Ineos appointments will/should be looking at other not so well known young managers who they perceive to have the correct characteristics for our extraordinary club. For now I feel ETH is out of his depth with such a behemoth of a club, and perhaps younger people who are well aware of what the pressure cooker of Old Trafford demands of both manager and players should be scouted/ assessed.

Half the job at United is managing media & fans, one quarter is to mollycoddle players 24/7, one quarter is tactics. You can clearly see there is only one sensible name out there and ready to accept the challenge. Arise, sir G.!

It is another season wasted and I’d really like to know what INEOS hoped for. They expected ETH to change overnight?

Well there was a number of key squad members missing for the majority of the season last year. When we had most of those players fit the season before he had us playing some decent stuff and he'd managed to win 2 cups and get us to another final in that time.

They gave him the benefit of the doubt that injuries were the main contributing factor in our downturn in league form for the season before and based on the other options available they gave him a chance to prove it was the missing personnel and that he could mobilise his vision with those available. It was also clear after the FA cup final the players like him.

They took their time in their considerations and opted to do that. I've no issue with that, better off knowing than thinking what could have been. That said it's clear things aren't going to work out and the key now is how they respond. We are only 4 games in, nothing is decided at this point. If they want to waste a season then they should persist with ETH until it's clear we can't do anything this season. However if they want to salvage a competitive season we should probably look elsewhere.

We have a squad which some managers will think are producing a sum which is less than their parts and will think they can get a tune out of them.

Jim’s best friend

Probably a rite of passage to go through a shit British manager, he could be our Roy Hodgson.

But history is going to repeat itself by us sacking EtH when no one else is available and appoint a club legend in RvN, feck around for another two years.

Ignore the last three seasons then and the fact he's one of the brightest young managers in the English game because he worked with OGS

He's managed 4 games in the premier league. Manchester united shouldn't be looking anywhere near him at this point in time.

It is another season wasted and I’d really like to know what INEOS hoped for. They expected ETH to change overnight?
I genuinely hoped that ineos and Ratcliffe were going to have some sporting ambition, but it seems they might be happy to just be remembered for upgrading / building a new stadium.

Slot has done well so far at maintaining what Klopp has put in place. He’s putting his own stamp on it with his tactics but it’s not like he has to start from scratch.

I don’t see Slot coming in and sorting this mess out. I do think it needs to be a Hollywood name. Someone with an elite reputation who has dealt with big dressing rooms and who can put a team of overpaid slackers to work.
Waistcoat it is than.....

If Tuchel was prepared to join us, he's the very obvious best choice. If not, as recent reports seem to suggest, I'd be happy to bring Ole back until a better option becomes available.

While it's true that he hasn't consistently delivered great league campaigns, it's wrong to claim that he only had poor league campaigns. Looking at recent years he improved Bayern's results compared to (late) Nagelsmann (at least until it was clear they wouldn't catch Leverkusen).
He got Chelsea rolling for a time, but all that stuff around Abramovic, sanctions and the takeover pretty much derailed everything there.
He delivered on paar performance with PSG in my opinion.
He delivered the second best league season in the history of Borussia Dortmund (only beaten by one of Klopp's two title winning season)
He managed to reach the EL with Mainz for the first time in their history.

So it's definitely better than poor, but I get that you are cautious about him.
How do you think he'd do at Manchester United though?

Our club is insane in a lot of ways. There's a level of pressure from the media and fanbase that's equal only to maybe Real Madrid, except with a level of negativity that club never sees in part due to our utter and complete failure to provide a half decent football team for the last 13 years. It's a recipe for disaster for any manager, because unless you get results instantly AND play football 'the right way' things get nasty here like nowhere else, and people call for you to be sacked within a month. Solskjaer won 14 games in a row and the media still wanted him sacked. They can say they were right with hindsight, but I sort of wonder if there was a post hoc rationalisation for Solskjaer that wouldn't have happened for a bigger name.

I like Tommy Tuchel and I think he's a great manager, I just don't see our fans warming to him. On the positive side there's some genuinely talented footballers at the club these days, and it doesn't look like Ten Hag is getting enough out of them, so maybe Tuchel could. I guess he's managed some huge clubs, and has pretty much always dealt with the ridiculous drama around Man Utd so there's a lot there on his C.V. to warm to. I just don't see our fans accepting him unless he got things rolling instantly, and if he -doesn't- get things rolling instantly, well what's the point of changing the manager anyway.