Life after ETH — the next United manager

What a joke. We chased Ragnick away after he revealed all of our problems. The grass is always greener. I'd much rather see all this energy concentrated on the much bigger problem, let's force out the scum who own us (that is the Glazers, of course). No more rebuilds please.

Yep, no more rebuilds needed. Since Ten Hag’s managed to take us to 8th and now 11th in the league let’s keep him forever and just be done with it.

Last edited:
Someone basically identical to ten hag who wins more matches.
Dont want a rebuild, dont want to change direction, dont want to move away from the group of young players we're using or the kind of football we're trying to play. Just feel like the faith, confidence, momentum is in a terrible place and it would be pretty much impossible to turn it around from here. We need a new manager bounce but i'd want someone in a similar vein in most regards to be honest.
I'd aim high and try tempt the likes of nagelsmann or a longer term target and muddle through for a month or two if needed but its way too early to write a season off so i wouldn't hang around too long before i hired someone.

If they want to get rid of ETH they’ll have to do it by November so that they allow whoever takes over (interim or so) to assess what the squad needs for the January window.
That will put pressure on the new board to make signings and spend for the new manager during Jan window. They will wait.

Because that's the part of your post I was replying to. Southgate hasn't even come close to achieving ten Hag's pre-United managerial achievements. He managed in club football for 3 years in an era that's a joke compared to today, and all he did at international level (which is lagging like 10-15 years behind club football in terms of tactical level) was sabotage an overpowered squad with his unbalanced lineups and tactical approaches.

Potter, Frank and even Poch are also light years ahead of him, not just ETH.
I don’t think that’s a fair statement on what Southgate did with the national team. I don’t even rate him and wouldn’t want him near United; I just think he isn’t as bad as made out, and ETH isn’t nearly as good as made out.

Can someone tell me why we can’t replace him with Ruud as interim if in three years we haven’t seen anything from ETH?

I think if we want to to be the best, we need to go all out for Alonso. City were not scared went for the best manager in Pep and Liverpool went for Klopp. We can’t go second-best as you get second-best results.

Should’ve got Flick when he was available, we’ll probably have to take a chance on an up and coming manager, don’t see anyone well established whose available or willing to come here like Zidane.
There is a Klopp out of work. Whether he could be convinced to take a giant step is a different matter

The messages here are literally the inverse of the messages 3 years ago…

2021 Caf: Ole out! EtH in!
2024 Caf: EtH out! Ole in!

Yeah I’m sure that’ll solve everything

The messages here are literally the inverse of the messages 3 years ago…

2021 Caf: Ole out! EtH in!
2024 Caf: EtH out! Ole in!

Yeah I’m sure that’ll solve everything
If I had a choice of Ole interim or Southgate perma manager. Or stick with Hag. There is a clear winner. Give it Ole to the end of the season.

Stop it. I wouldn’t want that gobshite anywhere near OT.
A decent manager but over rated as well and the way he conducted himself, no no and no.

I very much doubt Klopp would ever come anywhere near our club because of his love for Liverpool however if it was a choice between Pep and Klopp I would definitely choose Klopp.

Let's to real here, we'd take Klopp with open arms if there was a semblance of truth in him contemplating managing us. To think otherwise is dumb.
He won't though.

Now, back to Ole..

Can someone tell me why we can’t replace him with Ruud as interim if in three years we haven’t seen anything from ETH?

I think if we want to to be the best, we need to go all out for Alonso. City were not scared went for the best manager in Pep and Liverpool went for Klopp. We can’t go second-best as you get second-best results.

There's no way in hell we're ever going to convince Alonso to come here. You know that.

Personally much prefer Klopp’s football. I’m not obsessed with control, I’d rather be entertained. Liverpool were much more interesting to watch at their peak than the robotic muck City do.

Klopp's early days football was far better to watch. I feel his football gradually got worse the longer he stayed though.

I wonder how long the next manager will get before the toxic fans* decide he is shit and not up to the job?

The current timescale for judging players seems to be 1 game or less.

Last edited:
I think it was impossible to keep up that football. So maybe that is a flaw. A decline was inevitable.

True. I also think Liverpool majorly fecked up by not giving him the automy for an overhaul a few years back. He definitely does burn his teams out though. Their later days football wasn't remotely comparable to the stuff he played in his first 4 seasons.

I wonder how long the next manager will get before the toxic fans decide he is shit and not up to the job?

The current timescale for judging players seems to be 1 game or less.
The fanbase is largely forgiving, I mean we're still stuck with ETH after the season he had previously.
It's the media and former players who are far, far worse because they're shouting from a higher pedestal.

Don't get me wrong, there were some fun times under Ole and our most entertaining football post SAF was under Ole but people are forgetting that is was filled with a lot of dross too. Ole's COVID ball was good and the most excited I've been to watch United but, it's a short memory to think that was the norm under him.
Pretty much this. I'd be more than happy for Ole to take over again as a caretaker if it's only for 2 months or so. The good periods with Ole was the best we've been since Fergie and I'd hope he could bring that bounce again for a short period.

But if we're going to want someone relatively soon to come in and take control for the rest of the season we need someone with more tactical nous.

Is Diego Simeone an average manager?

I never really watched Athletico Madrid but I noticed how he was nearly making them compete with Barcelona & even a peak Real Madrid.

I always find it a bit surprising that his name is not even mentioned as a possibility.

Is he that bad?

Alonso turned down Liverpool and Bayern just a few months ago, two of his previous teams who are also in a much better position than we are at the moment. I'd say it's almost a certainty that he has an understanding with Real Madrid (another of his previous teams) that he'll be taking over there in a year or two.

He's about as realistic an option as Klopp is - ie. not at all.