Life after ETH — the next United manager

How would Tuchel impede that? Wasn't the story with him that he didn't want significant influence in the squad building and wanted to be left alone to the on pitch stuff? Sounds good to me. Ten Hag is the opposite - he's wanted a massive say from the jump and it's obvious he doesn't know how to build an elite, proper United team.

We should have got De Zerbi when we had the chance.
My understanding was that Tuchel wanted vastly more control than we were willing to agree to.

My understanding was that Tuchel wanted vastly more control than we were willing to agree to.
The Athletic reported that the two people that have the most sway at United (in terms of squad building) is Wilcox (or was it Ashworth? Can't remember) and ten Hag. Seems unusual that they'd willingly give it to ten Hag but deny it to Tuchel. Unless he literally wanted all of the power, which feels unlikely.

Crawl back to Tuchel and beg him to take it. Failing that, take Potter. Absolutely horrible idea, but I don't see many alternatives. I don't believe Nagelsmanm will come here, although I'd take him ahead of the rest. What a terrible mistake not to take the opportunities during the summer.
Presumably you would agree with the people who were Fergie out after his first two seasons? Those who don't remember the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them...

The Athletic reported that the two people that have the most sway at United (in terms of squad building) is Wilcox (or was it Ashworth? Can't remember) and ten Hag. Seems unusual that they'd willingly give it to ten Hag but deny it to Tuchel. Unless he literally wanted all of the power, which feels unlikely.
I'm quite sure they would've preferred to take it away from Ten Hag.

It's getting to the stage I'll take anyone over ETH.
He has no excuses this season, we have very few injuries, good options from the bench and it's just seems like the same boring shit week in week out.

I'm just hoping Everton sack Dyche and go for Southgate before we get to the real 'shit hitting the fan' stage when we don't pick up wins against Spurs, Villa and Porto.

He's out of ideas and to top it hasn't got the balls to drop his out of form captain

He stuck him out wide to accommodate him and he killed every attack.

Give Amorin a shot?

This. We cannot just accept anyone.

The idea that 'we' as in the club would just rush towards appointing anyone is such a ridiculous notion to even bother arguing against. We saw that on here last season as an invented counter point to sacking Ten Hag.

People need to get over waiting for the ideal manager though, perfectionism is the enemy of good and all. We'll probably go through more managers before we hit a long term hire and that one might be unexpected. If managers don't work out after being given a fair chance off they go, we try again.

Presumably you would agree with the people who were Fergie out after his first two seasons? Those who don't remember the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them...

Yeah, you're totally right. We really should have stuck with Moyes.

Crawl back to Tuchel and beg him to take it. Failing that, take Potter. Absolutely horrible idea, but I don't see many alternatives. I don't believe Nagelsmanm will come here, although I'd take him ahead of the rest. What a terrible mistake not to take the opportunities during the summer.
Inzhagi from inter may just jump at the chance now. They’ve not started the season very well. He would certainly get us more organised.

I think that might have something to do with why they triggered an extension to his contract (as a public show of faith), rather than him getting a new contract with clauses that ETH was unwilling to accept. Perhaps it's just kicking the can down the road but if they want to keep ETH for the longer term, he'll have to lose some of that power.

Ten Hag hasn’t done anything to prove he is a better manager than Potter or Southgate, but I wouldn’t hire them; and Ineos likely won’t either. There are plenty of managers in the Premier League, abroad, and the job centre that could be good options depending on which direction our owners want to take us.

I agree with the Tuchel idea. He'd also make sure we get rid off all the crap EtH assembled.

The idea that 'we' as in the club would just rush towards appointing anyone is such a ridiculous notion to even bother arguing against. We saw that on here last season as an invented counter point to sacking Ten Hag.

People need to get over waiting for the ideal manager though, perfectionism is the enemy of good and all. We'll probably go through more managers before we hit a long term hire and that one might be unexpected. If managers don't work out after being given a fair chance off they go, we try again.

Exactly. It's not like we're kneejerking after his first rough patch after taking charge. He's been given plenty of time, plenty of backing, and he's taking us backwards with no real signs that what he's building (if anything) is likely to be worth putting our faith in.

The real question is, if this was any other big club, would he still be the manager?

Exactly. It's not like we're kneejerking after his first rough patch after taking charge. He's been given plenty of time, plenty of backing, and he's taking us backwards with no real signs that what he's building (if anything) is likely to be worth putting our faith in.

The real question is, if this was any other big club, would he still be the manager?
I agree. Nevertheless, we shouldn’t have to cycle through manager after manager until we hit jackpot. We should never settle for second best. I know that we already have a shite manager, but still.

I’ve been hyping him up a lot already but Seb Hoeness from Stuttgart is the next big thing for me. Dismantled BVB 5-1 on the weekend.

I agree. Nevertheless, we shouldn’t have to cycle through manager after manager until we hit jackpot. We should never settle for second best. I know that we already have a shite manager, but still.

We had the right manager with Ole, he took us from finishing 6th to finishing 3rd then 2nd and even got us closer to City than any manager post Sir Alex (and we would probably have been closer had the protests not have got the Liverpool game postponed and caused us to have to play them and Leicester in the space of 3 days) but he messed up when we resigned Cristiano Ronaldo because he changed our tactics to juzt get it to Ronaldo as soon as possible instead of what we had been doing.

We have been the creators of our own downfall. If the club had of just signed Tuchel in the summer, he'd have had us at least steady enough to take our time with hiring a jackpot manager. Instead INEOS stuck with a manger who overseen last seasons train wreck, and here we are. Incredibly desperate.

Even though I was against him, I would take Poch right now. We have all the ingredients to build a successful team under him.

Ironically, he was hired for USMNT 2 weeks ago, so I think that is a no go.

But wasn't EtH the next big thing. I honestly think Ineos will go for someone proven.

He really wasn't. He was a 50 year old never out of the Dutch league that hipster fans latched onto and made enough noise about to get him in

He really wasn't. He was a 50 year old never out of the Dutch league that hipster fans latched onto and made enough noise about to get him in
That's revisionism at it's finnest. He was far from a hipster choice, but rather the next big thing. His playstyle at Ajax was literally hailed as the best version of both Pep and Klopp.

Bayern and Barca were interested in him, however in Barca's case they didn't have the money to trigger his release clause at the time and Bayern were stuck with Naglesmann. Totenham was also interested in his services, but supposedly turned them down.

There is a reason he won the vote by landslide after we sacked Ole. I think 90% of the caf wanted him here.

That's revisionism at it's finnest. He was far from a hipster choice, but rather the next big thing. His playstyle at Ajax was literally hailed as the best version of both Pep and Klopp.

Bayern and Barca were interested in him, however in Barca's case they didn't have the money to trigger his release clause at the time and Bayern were stuck with Naglesmann. Totenham was also interested in his services, but supposedly turned them down.

There is a reason he won the vote by landslide after we sacked Ole. I think 90% of the caf wanted him here.
You're right that he was seen as a very good option although there's some revisionism going on here too, Bayern weren't "stuck with Nagelsmann" when in reality he's a better and younger manager while Tottenham supposedly chose Nuno over Ten Hag because they thought Ten Hag lacked charisma.

I was in favour of his appointment given the options, the 2 main options seemed to be him and Pochettino and I preferred taking a gamble rather than taking the safe option, but it hasn't worked out and the likelihood is the next one won't either and that's OK.

Poch got the better than him and his Ajax team completely crumbled. I would have went De Zerbi. As for the next manager I would ask Tony Bloom to help out. Seriously though I would go Rúben Amorim if not Tommy T.

McKenna has had a decent start with Ipswich in PL - 3 draws in 5 games (defeats against Liverpool and City). Of course it's only 3 points out of possible 15 but it was always going to be difficult for them in Premier League. Will be interesting to see how their campaign goes over next few months (or this whole season). Looking at Kompany who started well at Bayern, Maresca at Chelsea + Arteta being excellent for Arsenal, perhaps we should go down that route and hire McKenna.