Life after ETH — the next United manager

We had the better chances but come on, we didn’t even win the game… are we really in a position where we have to brag about having better chances against a Palace team that haven’t won a game all season and are still settling having lost two crucial players last Summer, in a game we did not even win.
No, definitely we have no bragging rights. We can however point to positives instead of losing our shit. Things would look much brighter if we performed closer to our xG.

No, definitely we have no bragging rights. We can however point to positives instead of losing our shit. Things would look much brighter if we performed closer to our xG.
Yeah but it’s definitely rich saying Glasner is ETH’s bitch because he managed to get a draw against him.

We won't go for Southgate, that much has been confirmed. He was never under consideration. Potter is linked with Everton right now and I also don't think we'd go for him.

I wouldn't worry about either. But Ten Hag isn't getting sacked no matter how bad we do until at least the new year. If they sack him now they look like fools.
Quite the opposite, IMO. It would signal that they learn quickly from their mistakes and don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy.

October 7th is the next international break.

Chances he's gone by then are looking strong if we don't win the next two games, but then again nothing sticks to Ten Hag, there's an excuse at every turn.
I know there have been international breaks for ages but having them so close together when the season has just started is a bit much. Players do need a rest.

Quite the opposite, IMO. It would signal that they learn quickly from their mistakes and don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy.

Plus it’s fairly well known they hesitated on going with him seeing how long it took them to settle for him, and them reportedly meeting other managers. They almost went with him by default.

They’d look foolish if they handed him a new 4 year contract the day after winning the FA Cup and then sacked him 10 games in.

Well, I don't want to do that. Pointing to positives is just simply self-delusion nothing else. Despite the alleged positives, we're still completely bad. 11th on the table, zero GD, only 5 goals scored, useless Rashford, etc. Same dump, different year. We should fire ten Hag ASAP, take van Nistelrooy as an interim coach and sign a more credible coach. Even if it wouldn't be easy, as to be fair United aren't the most desirable team for a top manager.

I can't stand this manager, I hope Naglesman is sounded out at the very least, I'd even roll the dice with Amorim.

It doesn't matter what players are available irrespective of quality the team is inconsistent with Erik at the helm.

He's not at the level to bring United forward.

Believe me I'm praying we have a deal in place for him, Inzaghi or Amorim. No chance we can get Alonso out of Leverkusen.

Well, I don't want to do that. Pointing to positives is just simply self-delusion nothing else. Despite the alleged positives, we're still completely bad. 11th on the table, zero GD, only 5 goals scored, useless Rashford, etc. Same dump, different year. We should fire ten Hag ASAP, take van Nistelrooy as an interim coach and sign a more credible coach. Even if it wouldn't be easy, as to be fair United aren't the most desirable team for a top manager.

One of the biggest clubs in world football aren't desirable for a top manager? Not sure I agree with that at all. With the structure already looking 100 times better, I'd say we're more desirable for a top manager than we've been in a very long time.

I've been looking at Nagelsmann, Alonso & Ruben Amorim's tactics and unfortunately none of them seem to suit us very well.

Whilst we can play in a back 3, they also use tactics like an LAM & RAM over wingers & predominantly use wingbacks over fullbacks which I think would effect players like Garnacho, Mazroui, Dalot most and even Rashford even if 3/4 of the fan base want him gone. We only really have Amad capable of playing that role & even he isn't the most creative player & has at times looked more like a RW than a RAM. Shaw & Malacia doesn't suit this either.

Nagelsmann only used the 4231 at Bayern (utilised back 3 all at Hoffeinheim, RB leipzig & Germany) and seemed like he was almost forced to do to accommodate the players rather than utilise his own tactics and was then sacked. If I'm wrong about this then maybe he can use 4231 here. He has said only 30% of his management is based on tactics so he may be more flexible to our player group.

I would love Nagelsmann or Ruben Amorim as our next manager but I don't think their tactics match our current players & even recently bought players like Zirkzee very well.

Inzaghi is another manager that uses wingback and doesn't use wingers and prefers more central players.

So the managers that fit our player group is

1. Zidane - 433, Benzema (Zirkzee) creative for wingers
2. Nagelsmann (if he was happy with his Bayern tactics & player group).
3. De Zerbi - wingers & even utelising one of our ex players
4. Ancelotti - using wingers and less tactical in his overall play
5. Mckenna - also less tactical in his play ie. Utilise everything you have rather than have a strict tactic (our version of Kompany to Munich if he can keep Ipswich up well).

I reckon Zidane & Nagelsmann are who we are trying to entice first.

We might go for De Zerbi if we fail to get those two and he has a good season at Marseille who are currently at the top of Ligue 1.

We may get Ancelotti if Xabi Alonso joins Madrid for a more short term option.

All of Xabi Alonso, Amorim, Inzaghi, Simeone and even Nagelsmann seem to have strict tactics they prefer that doesn't suit our player group and even recent signings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus
My take is that ETH got a new contract simply to buy the club some time to find a new manager. I think the short term heir apparent is RVN. He's a club legend, has won a league in Holland and comes across like a football person rather than a farmer. I think ETH loses his job close to December time, RVN takes over and gets an audition if you like, but he may again be a play for time, unless he orchestrates a massive turn around and we see a team playing as they should be able to, qualifying for the CL in the process.

My take is that ETH got a new contract simply to buy the club some time to find a new manager. I think the short term heir apparent is RVN. He's a club legend, has won a league in Holland and comes across like a football person rather than a farmer. I think ETH loses his job close to December time, RVN takes over and gets an audition if you like, but he may again be a play for time, unless he orchestrates a massive turn around and we see a team playing as they should be able to, qualifying for the CL in the process.
RvN is hired to help Ten Hag succeed, not to succeed him. He isn’t ready to take on MU. He was not ready to take PSV either, he refused them at first.

The turnaround is underway, in performance. Now we need to see the points follow.

RvN is hired to help Ten Hag succeed, not to succeed him. He isn’t ready to take on MU. He was not ready to take PSV either, he refused them at first.

The turnaround is underway, in performance. Now we need to see the points follow.
Ostensibly, yes, but I believe my theory could be not that far wide of the mark. As much as he wasn't ready and refused PSV at first, he became manager and won the league - he's someone therefore worth taking a chance on should we decide to part ways with ETH, again, quite possibly as a short term stop gap solution but that may come good and turn into something longer term.

Clipping EtH for an assistant would be a bizarre idea. RVN's forte was goalscoring which, under RVN and RtH's tutelage, still struggles. It'd be peculiar if such felled EtH and promoted RVN, even as interim.

Which is why I'm convinced it will happen.

Anyone promoting it as a good idea really needs to think twice.

I haven't said it was a "good" idea, merely a plausible possibility.

4. Ancelotti - using wingers and less tactical in his overall play
This is one of the biggest mistakes I've ever seen on this forum. I watch Real Madrid regularly, almost every match and I saw Carlo Ancelotti utilizing 4 different formations in 4 consecutive matches. He is a tactical grandmaster, obviously his honours clearly show that. But Ancelotti isn't an option anyway as he already claimed that he's gonna retire from coaching after his contract expires in 2026.

This is one of the biggest mistakes I've ever seen on this forum. I watch Real Madrid regularly, almost every match and I saw Carlo Ancelotti utilizing 4 different formations in 4 consecutive matches. He is a tactical grandmaster, obviously his honours clearly show that. But Ancelotti isn't an option anyway as he already claimed that he's gonna retire from coaching after his contract expires in 2026.
True. Ancelotti is an actual pragmatic manager (in the real sense of the world, not the bullshit equation pragmatism = defensive football that's always made on here). It's fair to call him less tactically dogmatic than other managers, but he is generally quite astute in that area.

Well he focuses less on the tactics - that's why he is more flexible with his tactics.

I didn't say he was bad at his tactics, he is less reliant on it.

I’d rather not. Such a boring manager. I’d rather bring Ole back till the end of season.
Me too. Ole until we can hire a permanent manager would do for me. I think Ten Hag's breaking point is close. Especially if we lose to Spurs. So the idea of a caretaker will likely come into view soon.

Me too. Ole until we can hire a permanent manager would do for me. I think Ten Hag's breaking point is close. Especially if we lose to Spurs. So the idea of a caretaker will likely come into view soon.
I actually think the last 3 games, performance wise we’ve turned a bit of a corner but obviously the spurs game will tell us more. If we go down the caretaker route I still believe they’ll give it Ruud.

ETH is exciting?
That’s not what I’m saying. But you don’t go from rubbish to another manager that will just be as bad. He may steady the ship but we all want to be entertained. Theirs better out there who’ll give us that.

I actually think the last 3 games, performance wise we’ve turned a bit of a corner but obviously the spurs game will tell us more. If we go down the caretaker route I still believe they’ll give it Ruud.
It's nice that you can start seeing some sort of plan to how they want to play. Very simple thing but I couldn't see it for 18 months prior to this season.

But I don't think it'll be enough. Accepting the draw in the last 10 mins against Palace kind of settled in my mind that Erik isn't bold enough for this job. Ruud would be the favourite for sure. I hope this time United would keep the caretaker as a caretaker and not get overly excited after one match again.

I would be extremely amazed if 1) United goes for Allegri and 2) he accepts the offer. The coach being considered, according to nerdy Italian football pundits, is Potter.

Unfortunately I don't think this is due to Ten Hag & more to do with Zirkzee settling in very well to link up our play.

We basically went back to our last season's tactics in the final 30 mins vs Crystal Palace (Rashford-Hojlund-Garnacho) & you could see how uncreative and average as we were last season.

Since the manager thread is filled with 'sack him right now' quotations, thought it best to bump this thread.

Need to seriously discuss who replaces EtH before we get talked into some awful eejit like Potter or, worse....

Tuchel, Nagelsmann - who else is actually available?

Please no 'I'd take anyone' because it's just angsty hyperbole.

Since the manager thread is filled with 'sack him right now' quotations, thought it best to bump this thread.

Need to seriously discuss who replaces EtH before we get talked into some awful eejit like Potter or, worse....

Tuchel, Nagelsmann - who else is actually available?

Please no 'I'd take anyone' because it's just angsty hyperbole.
This. We cannot just accept anyone.

Problem is, when we get exposed to performances like that but week in, week out, it’s difficulty not to just want anyone whom seems competent. I’d not take just anyone instead of ETH, but I’d happily take half of our backroom staff as interim if it meant him getting sacked tonight. Tonight was as bad as it gets with a full squad - he has to go, regardless of what the long term plan is. fecking AI could set us up better.

Crawl back to Tuchel and beg him to take it. Failing that, take Potter. Absolutely horrible idea, but I don't see many alternatives. I don't believe Nagelsmanm will come here, although I'd take him ahead of the rest. What a terrible mistake not to take the opportunities during the summer.

Crawl back to Tuchel and beg him to take it. Failing that, take Potter. Absolutely horrible idea, but I don't see many alternatives. I don't believe Nagelsmanm will come here, although I'd take him ahead of the rest. What a terrible mistake not to take the opportunities during the summer.
Yup. At this point I’d sell a kidney to bring Tuchel here.

We could probably get Tuchel here but at the cost of trashing our planned structure for how the club is to be run, which really feels too high a cost.
How would Tuchel impede that? Wasn't the story with him that he didn't want significant influence in the squad building and wanted to be left alone to the on pitch stuff? Sounds good to me. Ten Hag is the opposite - he's wanted a massive say from the jump and it's obvious he doesn't know how to build an elite, proper United team.

We should have got De Zerbi when we had the chance.