Life after ETH — the next United manager

Unfortunately the majority of fans and even posters on here are sheep that believe what the tabloids, Sky or Talk sport lead them to believe.

It's a constant headache trying to be an objective fan and call a spade a spade. Ten Hag has many qualities and that's why INEOS kept him. He just has to keep proving he can deliver with a now improving starting lineup.

We will sign the players we need to complete the squad in January and next summer. His job is to show enough with the current squad that he deserves to be the manager that benefits and should lead the completed squad.

3 games in fans are panicking, despite Yoro, Hojlund and Ugarte not playing a minute. A fans brain must be a bag of spanners if they're panicking already. INEOS will atleast give him September and October to prove we're making the strides needed to prove he's the guy for us going forwards.

If he's not showing it then we'll no doubt appoint a new manager in November so he can work with the squad ahead of the January window where the squad might need one or two to bolster it in the search for a top 4 finish to salvage the season.

Panic isn't for now, it's for November if he doesn't get us playing well consistently.

Posters apprehension, myself included is because the first three games of the season have followed the pattern of the last 12 months prior to it.

We play the exact same way as we were last season and when it’s called into question the excuses fly out such as injuries or it’s a new structure (coaching or hierarchical) etc.

But the product on the pitch is still the same and when you have spent 600 million you are going to be lacking in sympathy.

Honestly don't care if we have to tread water for a season or three. We've been shite for a decade while the Glazers dangled new managers as distractions and it never did a bit of good. All their bad work takes some unpicking.
I mean, these are hopefully your emotions talking. From a business perspective two more seasons like the last one would cause an exodus and cement us as a lower tier club. It would be absolutely disastrous.

I mean, these are hopefully your emotions talking. From a business perspective two more seasons like the last one would cause an exodus and cement us as a lower tier club. It would be absolutely disastrous.

It is also wrong. We haven't been successful for a decade, but we have qualified for the CL every other year and finished higher than last season every year - including 5 top 4 finishes over the past decade.

If we repeat last season's performance it would have to be called a sign of regression, not treading water.

Who is saying that? Literally nobody.

The players we bought are great for 10Hag ball, and for the next manager as well.
who said this?

Is this a joke? There’s been pages and pages worth of this from various staunch Ten Hag defenders in the past year. This is literally from the previous page:

Oh I think he's partly responsible for a lot of bad signings and for overtraining. But the main problem is that he doesn't have the right players for his system and that's something that takes time to fix.

Posters apprehension, myself included is because the first three games of the season have followed the pattern of the last 12 months prior to it.

We play the exact same way as we were last season and when it’s called into question the excuses fly out such as injuries or it’s a new structure (coaching or hierarchical) etc.

But the product on the pitch is still the same and when you have spent 600 million you are going to be lacking in sympathy.

This is true, and one would hope that INEOS and Ratcliffe with their business expertise, careful season review, etc., would have come up with contingency plans or laid out different scenarios with regards to this season, in terms of what success they were looking for (milestones regarding league position, etc) and what situations would lead to sacking ETH. It was known to be very risky to allow him to stay and it would be incompetency not to have this scenario in mind. Perhaps they didn't actually consider that they might need to sack him after 3 games, but in my mind that was always a possibility. Now they risk looking a bit silly having committed to ETH and have to get rid of him a few moments later.

So I assume they will allow him to stay until January at least, unless we go on a continued losing streak.

The disaster has already happened. Liverpool, Arsenal and City are massively superior football clubs. We are scrapping for fourth place in a situation where we will lose most years. We are a lower tier club. You can't wave a magic wand and fix this. It's the result of decades of Glazer mismanagement. Even if we did everything right it would take another two or three years minimum to overhaul even one of the big three.

Is this a joke? There’s been pages and pages worth of this from various staunch Ten Hag defenders in the past year. This is literally from the previous page: "But the main problem is that he doesn't have the right players for his system and that's something that takes time to fix."

I stand by that. Maguire, Evans, Lindelof, AWB, Casemiro, Erikson, McT were all playing last season and not appropriate for this style of play. Martial, Mount, Shaw, Martinez were injured most of the time. We very rarely saw anything approaching the team you'd want to see.

The disaster has already happened. Liverpool, Arsenal and City are massively superior football clubs. We are scrapping for fourth place in a situation where we will lose most years. We are a lower tier club. You can't wave a magic wand and fix this. It's the result of decades of Glazer mismanagement. Even if we did everything right it would take another two or three years minimum to overhaul even one of the big three.

You can’t wave a shit manager like Ten Hag at it to fix it either.

I well suspect PSR may be in play here. Getting rid of EtH and most of his team will be expensive. Add in the cost of hiring a new manager, especially if we have to buy them out of a current contract, will also be expensive - plus the inevitable cost of bringing his team with him. If Ineos are true to their word, and only want best in class, I think they will try to ride this out for a while to see if EtH can get a tune out of this squad. That’s a big IF though. Ineos will not be doing their job if they are not succession planning, and I’m sure they are with the professionals they’ve now got on board. The solution is not that clear though. There’s not much freely available choice out there and other options will likely break the bank. I want EtH out - but at this moment in time the options are really limited.
And this is where Dan Ashworth and his high reputation comes in.

It will be his role to find a manager that can make use of what we have. It's not a case of these days, that you have for arguments sake our team plays tiki taka, that they end up bringing in big Sam and then have him bring him Brexit type players. A manager will be brought in knowing fine well he won't be over hauling the squad that there will be additions to what we already have.

Judge me but I reached a point where I don’t even care anymore if we do well against Southampton. Absolutely every inch, word, interview and behavior of our coach is killing every Utd joy in me and I just want him gone by Oct

You can’t wave a shit manager like Ten Hag at it to fix it either.

The problem with both our narratives is that we don't have an alternate universe model to show that it would have been better, worse or the same with a more conservative manager (assuming that we all accept the need to switch over to a model that includes high press and that pure counter attack is dead.)

Judge me but I reached a point where I don’t even care anymore if we do well against Southampton. Absolutely every inch, word, interview and behavior of our coach is killing every Utd joy in me and I just want him gone by Oct
With you on this, obviously would never root against the team, but It's not just enjoyable anymore.

But we would maintain, or even retain after years of not really having it, a reputation of a club that stands by their manager, and the most wonderful person to ever grace this club with their presence would keep his job. Maybe it’s worth it?

The problem with both our narratives is that we don't have an alternate universe model to show that it would have been better, worse or the same with a more conservative manager (assuming that we all accept the need to switch over to a model that includes high press and that pure counter attack is dead.)

Agreed, we can only work with what we know. And what we know so far is that the team’s performances and results under Ten Hag have been nowhere near good enough, and I’m terms of the league, things have actually got worse the longer he’s been in charge. On that basis, making a change seems like the prudent thing to do.

Agreed, we can only work with what we know. And what we know so far is that the team’s performances and results under Ten Hag have been nowhere near good enough, and I’m terms of the league, things have actually got worse the longer he’s been in charge. On that basis, making a change seems like the prudent thing to do.
I don't agree. Moving away from the Glazer model was always going to be very painful and expensive and difficult. The reason the Glazers left it like that was precisely because it was was cheap and easy. But eventually it ran out of road as other clubs put big gaps in quality between them and us.

That said he doesn't get forever and even if he's done lots of good things he may not be the right guy. I think he deserves till the New Year to see how he gets on. Progress doesn't happen in straight lines.

I don't agree. Moving away from the Glazer model was always going to be very painful and expensive and difficult. The reason the Glazers left it like that was precisely because it was was cheap and easy. But eventually it ran out of road as other clubs put big gaps in quality between them and us.

That said he doesn't get forever and even if he's done lots of good things he may not be the right guy. I think he deserves till the New Year to see how he gets on. Progress doesn't happen in straight lines.

I just don’t accept that the poor performances and assorted failings on the pitch we’ve seen under Ten Hag were somehow an inevitable or necessary part of a transition towards a more modern, press based style. That just seems like a weak, catch-all excuse for him underperforming.

I stand by that. Maguire, Evans, Lindelof, AWB, Casemiro, Erikson, McT were all playing last season and not appropriate for this style of play. Martial, Mount, Shaw, Martinez were injured most of the time. We very rarely saw anything approaching the team you'd want to see.

In what way are they superior football clubs? You probably wouldn't have said this about Arsenal just 24 months ago, at least not many would've, which just shows how you don't need a lot of time to get back to the elite.

Also, how is a player like Maguire "not appropriate" for any style of play?

ETH underestimating the physicality of the league is a big reason for his struggles. I need the club to learn from its mistakes.
Hiring Ten Hag was not a mistake. Not sacking him after it turns out it's not working was quite probably one.
And to limit the range of potential new managers based on misguided preconceptions would be another.

You enjoy watching City?
You are actually completely right, I don't.
I would definitively enjoy it much more if they played like we do under Ten Hag. City getting demolished by Palace or Bournemouth would be great entertainment, I'd happily tune in to that.

But the main problem is that he doesn't have the right players for his system and that's something that takes time to fix.
Apparently our main problem is that "we don't have the players to play EtH's system".

Who is saying that? Literally nobody.
It‘s true that Ten Hag‘s tactical requirements have left a number of players ruthlessly exposed.

They were exposed physically, technically and mentally.
There‘s the problem: Hag chose a strategy for this season but hasn‘t had a squad to execute it with with any consistency.

In theory Ten Hag‘s idea would work if he had a more consistent squad available to him.
Delete your account, please.

Oh I think he's partly responsible for a lot of bad signings and for overtraining. But the main problem is that he doesn't have the right players for his system and that's something that takes time to fix.

I don’t agree at all with what Glazed says there. Firstly, there is hardly any training when there are back to back games, there are recovery sessions.

Secondly, we have the players now. You could make an argument the wingers and strikers aren’t consistent yet, and wtf is going with Rashy. But other than that and Casemiro needing replacement, we have a good squad.

I just don’t accept that the poor performances and assorted failings on the pitch we’ve seen under Ten Hag were somehow an inevitable or necessary part of a transition towards a more modern, press based style. That just seems like a weak, catch-all excuse for him underperforming.
I can see why you might think that but I disagree. The mess the Glazers left behind was absolutely monumental.

In what way are they superior football clubs? You probably wouldn't have said this about Arsenal just 24 months ago, at least not many would've, which just shows how you don't need a lot of time to get back to the elite.
They're all combined high press football with a mixture of world class and high class players all able to do the jobs they've been given. We don't have that yet.
Also, how is a player like Maguire "not appropriate" for any style of play?
He's slow as fek so a total liability if he gets too far forwards. And he turns like an oil tanker. Totally unsuitable for the style of football we want to play. Same with Evans. Both fine if defending deep is your game plan of course. But it's not.

I can see why you might think that but I disagree. The mess the Glazers left behind was absolutely monumental.

They're all combined high press football with a mixture of world class and high class players all able to do the jobs they've been given. We don't have that yet.

He's slow as fek so a total liability if he gets too far forwards. And he turns like an oil tanker. Totally unsuitable for the style of football we want to play. Same with Evans. Both fine if defending deep is your game plan of course. But it's not.

You're wrong on Maguire. He's absolutely suited to play any type of football.

Regarding the club question, United can catch up very quickly, maybe even within the next 12 months. Shouldn't take 3 years, that's for sure.

Funnily enough they’re the ones who hired Ten Hag, thinking he was the right man for the job. Talk about leaving us with a monumental mess alright…

Regarding the club question, United can catch up very quickly, maybe even within the next 12 months. Shouldn't take 3 years, that's for sure.

I mean its a view. Not sure it's realistic

Funnily enough they’re the ones who hired Ten Hag, thinking he was the right man for the job. Talk about leaving us with a monumental mess alright…

After Rangnick came in and told them their vulture capitalism had run out or road. Open heart surgery time.

I mean its a view. Not sure it's realistic

After Rangnick came in and told them their vulture capitalism had run out or road. Open heart surgery time.

It’s just curious that you think everything the Glazers did was terrible and left the club in a mess, yet simultaneously you think the guy they picked as a manager who took us to 8th in the league and a negative goal difference is worth persevering with. Maybe, just maybe, they got the manager bit wrong too, and persevering with him just prolongs the glazer mess.

Open heart surgery is close to completion.

Despite all the noise in the media, the players are playing for Ten Hag and INEOS are backing him fully.

Anything bar relegation form will keep him in the job, as long as progress is visible.

Despite all the noise in the media, the players are playing for Ten Hag and INEOS are backing him fully.

Anything bar relegation form will keep him in the job, as long as progress is visible.
Is this ironic? Progress over what, his own shortcomings last season?

You think Maguire is suited to play a high line? That’s crazy. He’s shown over and over that he struggles in that role. He’s too slow, likes to overcommit, doesn’t recover well, doesn’t scan, and is too slow progressing the ball.

Maguire excels at defending his box. That’s why he looked good during the first season under Ole where we sat back and played on the counter. The next season when we tried to play a high line with possession he fell on his face.

No win again Southampton is "relegation form"!!!

And we are playing "relegation football" since 18 months.

You think Maguire is suited to play a high line? That’s crazy. He’s shown over and over that he struggles in that role. He’s too slow, likes to overcommit, doesn’t recover well, doesn’t scan, and is too slow progressing the ball.

Maguire excels at defending his box. That’s why he looked good during the first season under Ole where we sat back and played on the counter. The next season when we tried to play a high line with possession he fell on his face.

Literally everything you've just said is completely untrue and they're just casual social media narratives.

Also, we had of the highest defensive lines under Ole in both of his full seasons, where Maguire was excellent and one of the best defenders in the league. Under ETH, we had one of the lowest defensive lines in both of his seasons.

No win again Southampton is "relegation form"!!!

And we are playing "relegation football" since 18 months.
We'll probably limp to a 1-0 win having had less possession and a lower XG than Saints and ETH will come out and suggest we dominated.

I'm at a point where I don't think I care who comes in after ETH, I just hope it's sooner rather than later. I'm gutted really as when he first joined I liked what I saw from him both on the pitch and off it. Now he's utterly in denial off the pitch and appears to have no clue about what goes on, on it.

I’ve never in my life seen so many people doing this weird mind game of acting like a fella is 3 games into a job when he’s been here two years. I get the ineos reset idea, but it seems wildly forgiving and disingenuous to act like people are being unreasonable expecting more at this point in his time here.
It’s more that they’ve renewed and aren’t exactly going to fire him for 3 games. Maybe if we’d lost to Fulham as well there’d be some panic but you have to assume they’re seeing enough to believe he can do what they want, which I assume is top 4 challenge.

He’ll either cement himself for a while or be sacked in the run coming up though. A lot of games we should be winning, if we’re still faltering by Spurs/Villa they will bring someone else in, no doubt in my mind.

So you’d be fine with a run that barely keeps us in the top half of the table? If ten Hag doesn’t deliver results and better performances in the next 7 games before the international break, rest assured he will lose the backing of INEOS. He is on a short leash; and with the money spent he needs to sort this out now.

So you’d be fine with a run that barely keeps us in the top half of the table? If ten Hag doesn’t deliver results and better performances in the next 7 games before the international break, rest assured he will lose the backing of INEOS. He is on a short leash; and with the money spent he needs to sort this out now.
I believe he is doing what INEOS wants him to do. Even if we don‘t nail it and lose close to half the games, they‘ll keep him.

I believe he is doing what INEOS wants him to do. Even if we don‘t nail it and lose close to half the games, they‘ll keep him.
So what do you believe INEOS wants him to do? There's plenty of evidence they wanted to move him and considered other candidates in the summer. Absolutely no reason why they'd keep him if we "lose close to half the games", which is what's happening over the last 10-15 premier league games we played.

We'll probably limp to a 1-0 win having had less possession and a lower XG than Saints and ETH will come out and suggest we dominated.

I'm at a point where I don't think I care who comes in after ETH, I just hope it's sooner rather than later. I'm gutted really as when he first joined I liked what I saw from him both on the pitch and off it. Now he's utterly in denial off the pitch and appears to have no clue about what goes on, on it.
I wanted Ten Hag too in the summer 2022.

I think most of us would still back him if the results would be fine or we could see a clear playing-style (Many coaches are showing right now in their first season at new clubs that you don't need months or years).

Nothing changes with Ten Hag.....i don't get why we don't play 3-5-2 for few matches.....4-2-3-1 under him is terrible and doesn't work.