2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
From one load of tripe to another.

I always felt Gerrard was completely wasted on the right. I much preferred him as box to box midfielder, or as an 8.

Regardless, he's nothing like Mainoo.

He didn't have the defensive discipline to play centrally as a box-to-box or as an 8. His energy levels were fine, but his positioning on defensive transition wasn't. This was precisely why he was employed in advanced areas on the right and behind the striker

Was fine, nothing more, nothing less. Some nice touches but not enough touches overall.

I can slightly forgive that as he constantly made himself available but a number of players were scared of playing in tight spaces.

Felt like a Spain midfielder being transported into an England midfield.

He was quiet tonight, still think Bellingham should have gone off instead of him though.

Probably a stretch too far for him tonight. He (and most of the XI) were pretty poor. He can still hold his head more than high though.

Some pundits going after him for being anonymous today is the worst piece of punditry I’ve seen for some time. He was in space so many times but the ball never went to him!

Southgate didn’t trust him to be an anchor against that Spanish midfield. Chose to play safe and Mainoo looked lost.

Sad for him, but hopefully he’ll learn from this and come back stronger. Have a good holiday lad.

Some pundits going after him for being anonymous today is the worst piece of punditry I’ve seen for some time. He was in space so many times but the ball never went to him!

Southgate didn’t trust him to be an anchor against that Spanish midfield. Chose to play safe and Mainoo looked lost!

Sad for him, but hopefully he’ll learn from this and come back stronger. Have a good holiday lad!
Did they say anything about Rice?

Southgate didn’t trust him to be an anchor against that Spanish midfield. Chose to play safe and Mainoo looked lost.

Sad for him, but hopefully he’ll learn from this and come back stronger. Have a good holiday lad.

Rice came out of this tournament looking truly like a West Ham player. Good physical attributes and ball winning but just brings nothing to the table progressively and it fecked England game after game

Thought he was decent in the first half, considering it's against the spanish midfield. Showed good skills and quite tidy.
Second half he was anonymous.

Anyway, can't wait to see him play with Zirkzee and hopefully Ugarte.

He should have at least 3 Euros and 3-4 World Cups in him. My heart breaks for him, even though I wanted Spain to win, but in all likelihood he will end up with at least one international trophy in his career, be that the Euros or the World Cup. The future is bright for him on club level too.

I hope that this game he has seen the level he needs to emulate. I'm sure he will work hard to be be on that level.

Rice came out of this tournament looking truly like a West Ham player. Good physical attributes and ball winning but just brings nothing to the table progressively and it fecked England game after game
Shows how good of a coach Arteta is to be honest. This is the Rice I was fearful of getting when we were linked with him a few years ago. Looked scared to play a forward pass and like he was going to give it away when under any pressure facing towards his own goal. He and Foden are great examples of how important a good coach is to bringing the best out of a player. Same really with Mainoo. Many games with us last year where he looked average in games where we couldn't get control of a game, but you know if he was playing in a Pep side or another great team he would fit right in.

Did not do a lot wrong but was not able to get fully involved. Spain did very well in preventing to give him and the other midfielders the time for the quick movements and turnarounds to creat space.
Also a I agree on Rice, compared to Rodri he looked pretty average. Him and Havertz are examples of how concrete of an idea Arteta has how he wants to play and what he needs.

I thought he was better than Rice. Had an awful second half where he gave the ball away far more than usual and looked visibly frustrated for once, but then - Rice gave the ball away quite a few more times than Kobbie or so it seemed to me.

There was one occasion Kobbie lost the ball badly in the second period that I thought "he will be hooked now, that's all the justification Southgate needs" and sure enough 2 mins later he was gone. Cole Palmer was great when he came on for him though which doesn't help his case.

Overall great tournament and will be back competing at the highest level for the rest of his career I think, what a talent.

Tbf I don’t blame Southgate for taking Mainoo off and keep Rice on.
The substitutions were ok in my opinion. It was the overall tactical approach of playing far too passive most of the game which was shambolic.

Nope - nothing at all.
He's been ass all tournament, he owes Kobbie a thank you.
I thought Rice had the potential to be world class but I think he looks better when he's a big fish in a small pond. He's shockingly limited.

I thought he was better than Rice. Had an awful second half where he gave the ball away far more than usual and looked visibly frustrated for once, but then - Rice gave the ball away quite a few more times than Kobbie or so it seemed to me.

There was one occasion Kobbie lost the ball badly in the second period that I thought "he will be hooked now, that's all the justification Southgate needs" and sure enough 2 mins later he was gone. Cole Palmer was great when he came on for him though which doesn't help his case.

Overall great tournament and will be back competing at the highest level for the rest of his career I think, what a talent.

That’s because Rice got on the ball a hell of a lot more than Kobbie. That’s his main area for development. How to get more involved. The tournament’s been a great experience for him though. So all good.

That’s because Rice got on the ball a hell of a lot more than Kobbie. That’s his main area for development. How to get more involved. The tournament’s been a great experience for him though. So all good.
Yes but the way Rice plays for England he will get the ball more than Kobbie, in fact, Englands tactics are made to get Rice on the ball as much as possible. He practically becomes another centre back in our build up play and is one of the main reasons we can't get the ball forward quick enough.

Yes but the way Rice plays for England he will get the ball more than Kobbie, in fact, Englands tactics are made to get Rice on the ball as much as possible. He practically becomes another centre back in our build up play and is one of the main reasons we can't get the ball forward quick enough.

Yeah I noticed this too. I rate Rice and he's been great for Arsenal, but for England he seems to do too much. There were a few times last night were a CB had it and was looking for options, Mainoo would drop into space to receive it and then Rice would at exactly the same time. To be fair I think Mainoo wasn't meant to be dropping that deep, but we just couldn't get the ball higher up, and when we did Spain pressed us really well.

Mainoo just needs more time and experience to feel like her can do that role for both England and United.

Yeh bang on. Nothing to do with Kobbie’s game, the kid is literally running around asking for the ball.

He makes space, he looks for space and he gets away from his man most the time. England just like to recycle it around the back.

He was quite poor. A midfielder needs to try and get involved with the ball as much as possible. Too often, he was in positions where someone couldn't pass the ball to him and so he was largely ineffectual. Overall a very good tournament for him though.

He was quite poor. A midfielder needs to try and get involved with the ball as much as possible. Too often, he was in positions where someone couldn't pass the ball to him and so he was largely ineffectual. Overall a very good tournament for him though.

Hard to get on the ball when it's flying over your head all the time.

It's hard to get on the ball when your teammates are told to hoof it up to the forwards.

He did get on the ball was often swarmed by 2 or 3 Spain players as they were far better tactically organised too, the rest of the team resorting to long ball certainly didn’t help but it’s a learning curve for him and realistically a European final is one of the most difficult nights in any player’s career.

Same, think the occasion has gotten into his head, was doing his best McT impression by intentionally occupying spaces where he would be in no position to receive the ball imo. He’s very young and with a braver coach instructing him there shouldn’t be any concerns around it.

He did get on the ball was often swarmed by 2 or 3 Spain players as they were far better tactically organised too, the rest of the team resorting to long ball certainly didn’t help but it’s a learning curve for him and realistically a European final is one of the most difficult nights in any player’s career.
Badly exposed how poor England’s unit is. No way in hell one player can battle three of that quality by themselves unless some midfield god. Rice hiding and there being nobody ahead to triangulate with made Kobbie an island, getting swarmed when on the ball. You need multiple Mainoo’s out there to play back and forth with.

Mainoo didn’t have a good game, but between Spain’s planning for him and the complete lack of support from his teammates, it was fated.

Midfielders only really tend to get going between the ages of 24/25. He's got plenty of time yet.

Mainoo didn’t have a good game, but between Spain’s planning for him and the complete lack of support from his teammates, it was fated.

I agree, he drew more attention from the opposition midfield, his movement off the ball was in many ways more effective than when he did get on the ball. He was always in the oppositions sights they were constantly looking where he was, and to Spain's credit they did negate his influence, doing it should have cost Spain, but it didn't because we had too many players altering their positions at the wrong times.
On at least two occasions in the first half and three or four in the second, Spain passed the ball right through the middle of the pitch into the heart of our final third, without any English player, other than Mainoo, trying to stem the tide, at such times he was out numbered three to one.

He will have learned a lot from that game, which hopefully United and England will gain from in the future.

I agree, he drew more attention from the opposition midfield, his movement off the ball was in many ways more effective than when he did get on the ball. He was always in the oppositions sights they were constantly looking where he was, and to Spain's credit they did negate his influence, doing it should have cost Spain, but it didn't because we had too many players altering their positions at the wrong times.
On at least two occasions in the first half and three or four in the second, Spain passed the ball right through the middle of the pitch into the heart of our final third, without any English player, other than Mainoo, trying to stem the tide, at such times he was out numbered three to one.

He will have learned a lot from that game, which hopefully United and England will gain from in the future.
Spain have the best midfielder in the world who was backed by two star performers of the tournament as a midfield unit; there’s never a time when any one of them are isolated or left wanting for outballs or movement to provide space or an easy chain - when they swarm, it’s perfectly harmonised and has an immediate contingency, as in, they know exactly what they’re going to do with the ball the moment they get it. Mainoo was absolutely fecked by contrast even when, as you say, twisting and shielding - nobody backing him up, no movement for outballs, and even worse, players not wanting to back him up etc. just a shambles, one he often finds here, actually.

Badly needs better personnel around him for club and country or this will keep happening, and I don’t know what he, by himself, can do about that.

Mainoo? Did he play last night?
He did and without him, England would have left the tournament a lot earlier.

There's not many players at the age of 19 that change the dynamics of a team completely, yet he has managed to do it for club and country within one season. Smashing player that will only get better and I'm glad he's ours.

Hope he get's a good rest now, he's played a lot of football this year would hate to see him get burnout, hopefully we get a new midfielder too to help with rotation.