2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
What a star he’s gonna be.
I hope we assemble a semi decent team this year, he’s going to shine if we do.

Can't we just hide him under a rock and keep him just to ourselves and not share him with anybody like the world? What an absolute stunner of a player. Has taught a lot of young United fans what a good midfielder looks like.

Can't we just hide him under a rock and keep him just to ourselves and not share him with anybody like the world? What an absolute stunner of a player. Has taught a lot of young United fans what a good midfielder looks like.
I was hoping Southgate would keep him out the England squad (which I thought was a good bet considering he generally sticks to his guys and can’t spot talent)

Looked good at first when he initially put him in the u21s. Must have had someone in his ear. Now it just shows how good Mainoo must be that he’s a starter for Southgate. That takes some doing when you’re not someone he’s super familiar with

His short passing in the box is too damn crisp. He doesnt send them, they just teleport under the attackers' toes. It's like his passes dont need the receiver to have good first touch. They are just as smooth and controlled as the lad himself.

Nick Cox:

”We're really proud of them [Mainoo and Garnacho].

”They've had a good month or so and the weekend could well be the icing on the cake for both of them. We're all looking forward to seeing how that will unfold.

"I think we're looking on with some pride, in how they're playing but also how they're representing our club, Kobbie, in particular, has been prominent in the media and it's just the way he has conducted himself on the pitch and in the media too. He's just being a real ambassador for our club and for the Academy. Like always has, he is acting with great decorum and humility.

"He has that kind of laid-back, chilled-out attitude that we've seen from him for many, many years. But, obviously on the pitch, he has that steely determination and that desire and drive to want to be the best. It's great to watch.

”Our job really is to try to prepare the boys for any eventuality.

"Whether they leave us or that's for our first team or at another club, they have got to be able to stand on their own two feet.

"So we're trying to shape the character. We're trying to help them represent themselves well in the public eye. We want to help them and even with your help [the media], so they have the ability to cope with a press conference and deal with the media. We want them to be able to cope with big occasions.

"So the FA Youth Cup final was a significant part of the development. The opportunity to play in front of over 65,000 fans in that stadium, under pressure with the expectation on them. It is pretty much how it is going to feel on a different scale but the same feelings on Sunday. So the fans that turned up that day have played a significant part in his journey.

"I'd like to think we've influenced his character but, ultimately, he's surrounded by lots of really positive influences, in terms of his friends and family. So, while we are part of that development, his outstanding character has probably been created by everyone that's been supporting him along the way.

”That's [academy graduates being role models to the younger players at the club] always been the case at this club, hasn't it?

"You're never too far away from someone who you can really connect with, who is achieving something you want to try to imitate. So, you know, Marcus Rashford goes into the first-team squad and drags Scott McTominay to go on, kind of like a chain reaction.

"Alejandro probably got in ahead of Kobbie. They played in the same youth team together and then he dragged Kobbie along. So, naturally, what will happen next is we've got a group of dedicated young players with a dream, who are driven and determined and they can really identify with Kobbie and it will be an inspiration to them to try to copy and imitate everything he's achieving.

"I think, when you have a role model that is just a few years older than you, maybe lives a few streets away from you, is sat in the same classroom that you sat in, or has trained in the same place you've trained in, that makes it real. It makes it tangible. It makes it possible and feel like a realistic thing that is achievable. And that is a really important ingredient in our programme.

”Look, we would love that they both play and we want them to come home as winners.

"Who knows what might happen? I think we are all intrigued and excited to see and to support them at the weekend but, regardless, they both had a really good season. They've enjoyed really good summers.

"I think those experiences will only add to their development and to their progression. We're looking forward to having them back because, obviously, we want them to know how proud we are. We want to be part of the process of celebrating what they've achieved. But, you know, they will both arrive back looking forwards, rather than looking backwards.

"They've both got that quality that I think really good players have, which is ambition and drive. They don't want to stand still but are looking forward to what they might achieve next. So it's exciting to see how they return but, more importantly, we're really looking forward to seeing their continued development because both of them are doing really, really well. But they're young and have got work to do.

"It isn't going to be plain sailing. They're really ambitious and, if they're going to go and achieve what they want to achieve, then there's a lot of hard work to be done and a lot of support that they are going to need from all the staff here, in particular the first-team staff.

"For both of them, when we first saw them; I first met Kobbie when he would have been six or seven, Garna a little bit later as he obviously arrived here at 16. If you told either of them that they were going to have the season they have just had, they would have snapped your hands off."

Last edited:
Insane that he could have just 9 caps and a trophy for England tonight.

Literally the only person that was questioning Mainoo’s ability to play was Southgate.

There was one poster here who was very vocal about Mainoo not being ready to play for England, despite being a United fan who'd just watched his season. Very odd

Ffs even players are hyping him up now. He's been good since his debut, but euro puts the limelight in him for sure... for both good and bad.

I agree, Wayne!
Would love the Stockport trio of Foden, Mainoo and Palmer.
Palmer and Foden are the two players Mainoo's linked-up best with, too. Wouldn't surprise me if they've become close since Mainoo's joined the squad.
There was one poster here who was very vocal about Mainoo not being ready to play for England, despite being a United fan who'd just watched his season. Very odd
There was a few, if I remember correctly. Opposition fans I somewhat get, but, yeah, it was surprising to see United fans saying it was too soon for him to be facing Denmark and Slovenia after just literally being the MOTM in an FA Cup final against City!

This was the guy I was arguing with a few weeks ago. I always have a motto if you’re good enough you’re old enough.

Everyone can see that problem is central midfield right now. It dosen’t work. Mainoo is to young for this stage. I have no idea what Wharton is doing in the squad. Rice don’t have that quality. Bellingham is big tactical problem. Arnold is no central midfielder. Southgate could have taken Henderson and Prowes which both would have improved midfield. Both in quality and leadership. To late for that now.
Different position. Different team. Different football. Different responsibility.

I like Mainoo. I only have good thing to say about him, except his speed. Playing international football in that position is not easy. He needs experience. You don’t get that being throw in just like that. His time will come.
It is not pressure. It is different football. He is still to young to play in that position in tournament like this. He needs to learn international football and european championship is not for that.
Sorry to out you @90 + 5min

Ffs even players are hyping him up now. He's been good since his debut, but euro puts the limelight in him for sure... for both good and bad.

There are probably other players mentioned by those people on the interview. But those tweets were snippets that focus on Mainoo.

It does make me uncomfortable as well, with all these "high to heaven" compliments. It's just adding unnecessary pressure to young Kobbie, who should be there for experience only at this stage.

But then that kid Yamal might get similar pressure in SPain.

I want England to win and I don't care about how it comes about but one thing I would love to see would be Kobbie having a MOTM performance or getting a goal to help England win the Euros tonight.

Just had someone tell me that Mainoo is a similar player to Gerrard

Think my IQ fell 10 points

I think if you drew a line and wrote every style of midfielder in the world along it, Gerrard and Mainoo would be at opposite ends of the line.

I think if you drew a line and wrote every style of midfielder in the world along it, Gerrard and Mainoo would be at opposite ends of the line.
Thank you.

This makes me feel better.

Nothing less than bossing the midfield for United for the next 15 years.

Irrespective of the result tonight, what a debut season he’s had. Incredible moments for the lad, can’t wait to see where he goes from here.

Good luck to him. Feel proud to see him on a stage like this. What a player.

Not surprised by his rise but by how quickly it has happened. He absolutely belongs in the big time and hopefully United build a team worthy of his talents going forward.

10 minute BBC piece on Lamine Yamal. Should be a 15 minute piece on Kobbie.

Truth hurts them.

Gerrard was never a good midfielder.
Gerrard was never even a midfielder.

All of his best years were in some advanced position on the right or behind the strikers.

Deserves a solid rest after that season. Proud of the kid. Now come home and hopefully when he's back, he'll have a new midfield partner. Big season to come from him.

That game will be a massive learning experience for him.

He nerds to decide what his step up will be. He needs to add more to his game.

The engine will improve with age and more games.

Very proud he's a united player

Truth hurts them.

Gerrard was never a good midfielder.
Gerrard was never even a midfielder.

All of his best years were in some advanced position on the right or behind the strikers.
From one load of tripe to another.

I always felt Gerrard was completely wasted on the right. I much preferred him as box to box midfielder, or as an 8.

Regardless, he's nothing like Mainoo.

Looked like a teenager out there tonight. Will learn a huge amount. Tussling in MF against Rodri, Olmo and Ruiz is no easy task.

Think Mainoo should have played as the deeper and first receiver tonight. England couldn't play out with Pickford, Stones, Guehi and Rice.

This was the guy I was arguing with a few weeks ago. I always have a motto if you’re good enough you’re old enough.

Sorry to out you @90 + 5min
Nothing to be sorry about. It is opinion. He is going to be so good if he continue on the same path. He might even be our future captain. Still, I’m standing by that he is still to young for this tournament. He needs to learn a lot because We are talking about one of the most important positions. You don’t throw that weight on young kids.