Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Great tournament for him. Deserves a rest (and hopefully we get a midfielder or two).

Rice came out of this tournament looking truly like a West Ham player. Good physical attributes and ball winning but just brings nothing to the table progressively and it fecked England game after game
The United players are the most likeable for England - Shaw and Mainoo. Kane, Saka, Parker are alright blokes. Toney, too. Just my vibes from interviews and outward projection. Pickford gives me a headache.

Wasn't at his best last night but no one really played well and he had no support around him against a great team.

Felt for him a bit yesterday. Was in no mans land for a lot of the game, hopefully something learned from that game.

Hope he gets a decent rest before the new season.

Spain have the best midfielder in the world who was backed by two star performers of the tournament as a midfield unit; there’s never a time when any one of them are isolated or left wanting for outballs or movement to provide space or an easy chain - when they swarm, it’s perfectly harmonised and has an immediate contingency, as in, they know exactly what they’re going to do with the ball the moment they get it. Mainoo was absolutely fecked by contrast even when, as you say, twisting and shielding - nobody backing him up, no movement for outballs, and even worse, players not wanting to back him up etc. just a shambles, one he often finds here, actually.

Badly needs better personnel around him for club and country or this will keep happening, and I don’t know what he, by himself, can do about that.

Very much in agreement with you on this. I think maybe ETH had the 'pass and move' type game in mind this last season, but the defensive injuries pushed him in another direction. Mainoo's own late start, the fallout with Sancho, Mounts injuries, etc. put paid to that. Would have loved to see Kobbie and Mata in the same team, what an apprentice for Juan he would have made.

I think he's just really poor at making himself available for a pass. It's a very typical weakness of a midfielder developed by our youth system. They just don't understand how to show for a pass.

It doesn't matter if he's got good touch and great dribbling ability. Footballing 101 is, the further away you are from the passer the more separation you need from your marker to be available for a pass. And he just doesn't get anywhere near enough separation in midfield to make him a good option. If his team mates start trying to make those passes to him, he's going to just get tumbled over and it's just inviting injuries.

I think he's just really poor at making himself available for a pass. It's a very typical weakness of a midfielder developed by our youth system. They just don't understand how to show for a pass.

It doesn't matter if he's got good touch and great dribbling ability. Footballing 101 is, the further away you are from the passer the more separation you need from your marker to be available for a pass. And he just doesn't get anywhere near enough separation in midfield to make him a good option. If his team mates start trying to make those passes to him, he's going to just get tumbled over and it's just inviting injuries.
Yes that’s the biggest thing he needs to improve at - he doesn’t get on the ball enough. After passing, he typically goes into the sea of defenders.

It seems like a very thing for him to improve on. Hopefully our coaches have identified it.

Overall a really, really positive tournament for him. Shame that it took Southgate a couple of games to realise he was his best midfielder, but once he started playing the difference between him and Gallagher/Trent was stark.

I keep having to remind myself that he's only 18. I'm so proud of how he represented the country. He's the type of midfielder we need to produce more of.

Poor in the final but a positive tournament from him overall. Especially given Southgate's tactics don't suit him really.

Only getting to watch the final this evening. Underlines what I’ve been saying about him I think, and my main concerns. I do think he needs to be the Pogba in the midfield rather than the Herrera. He doesn’t have the running power at all, and I know many see him as our first option as a box-to-box midfielder, but he can’t get up and down.

I still think longer term he may well be more suited to being the third midfielder rather than the second, and I think his qualities are best utilised in advanced areas anyway.

It's going to be really interesting to see if he adds more progressive passing, crisper long passes, stamina and the ability to get on the ball more to his game this season. Has all the potential to be the world beater, but still a long way to go in some aspects. Can't wait to see how he develops.

Is it me or did he look a bit doughy? It would be understandable giving he's just come back from holiday.

Forgot he played today until post match discussions. Hope to see him influencing more or hope that I have a better memory.

If Ugarte does come in he might end up being rotated more than some expect, Ugarte/Cas and Bruno could work if Cas is on like today.

Not necessarily a bad thing for his development in terms of not overplaying him at this stage, coming off the Euros they need to consider how heavily he is used.

I thought he struggled quite a bit in the early part of the match, but did improve after that (albeit still fairly quiet).

I was surprised that Mainoo and Martinez started today though. Bruno and Dalot I can understand as they are probably the fittest players in the squad (and Portugal went out of the Euro's a week earlier), but Mainoo and Martinez are players we shouldn't be rushing too much.

If Ugarte does come in he might end up being rotated more than some expect, Ugarte/Cas and Bruno could work if Cas is on like today.

Not necessarily a bad thing for his development in terms of not overplaying him at this stage, coming off the Euros they need to consider how heavily he is used.

Shared the same sentiments in the managers thread, I think Cas / Ugarte in central midfield is absolutely solid. Could have issues dealing with the press but tactically the defenders recycling the ball more effectively could open up spaces.

I have maintained since last season that the long-term play for Kobbie should under no circumstances be in the double pivot. Today we saw threat in the first half only coming from one side being Amad on the right, imagine if Mainoo was closer to a 10 / hybrid 8 it gives the team so much more fluency in attack and another position for the opposition to be cautious with.

Mainoo for all intents and purposes is more naturally accustomed to being an advanced 8. Playing him deeper though he can do a job is more restrictive of his capabilities to advance the attack further forward.

Good run out after a long break. Nothing more. We need to give him help this season by signing midfielders on his level technically.

Looked off the pace - to be expected

He won’t be the starting XI in any top teams except Man United. To be honest, He’s squad player at best even in long term. Last season and Euro was too much hype for his performance.

He won’t be the starting XI in any top teams except Man United. To be honest, He’s squad player at best even in long term. Last season and Euro was too much hype for his performance.
Clown comment.

If the Cafe gave out an award for dumbarse comment of the day, I think I've found the winner!

He always has quiet spells in game. On the ball he is incredible but we need to find a way of getting him more involved. I see him more as an attacking midfielder as of now.

Bruno false 9 and him 10 could be fire, certainly worth a shot.

Garnacho and Mainoo were definitely both overused last season. With the quality Amad can provide and if Casemiro can continue like this, Ugarte joining and playing some more games is definitely fine to give both some rotation this season.

Peripheral today, needs to get mire involved in games this season. That said, I’ve said many times that I don’t think he has the physical profile for that. Central midfield is a ‘busy’ role and he reminds me of Pogba with his movement. Not a short, sharp shuttler.

I see his quality being his quality, and as a result I prefer him more as the third midfielder than the second. Let him drift and let’s look to get him on the ball in between lines where he can slip people in, play one twos and go past players. I also think he’s got a good goal threat in him. But he doesn’t have the running power.

I appreciate that this is his first game etc, but last season was the same. He lacks the intensity for the deeper role.

Peripheral today, needs to get mire involved in games this season. That said, I’ve said many times that I don’t think he has the physical profile for that. Central midfield is a ‘busy’ role and he reminds me of Pogba with his movement. Not a short, sharp shuttler.

I see his quality being his quality, and as a result I prefer him more as the third midfielder than the second. Let him drift and let’s look to get him on the ball in between lines where he can slip people in, play one twos and go past players. I also think he’s got a good goal threat in him. But he doesn’t have the running power.

I appreciate that this is his first game etc, but last season was the same. He lacks the intensity for the deeper role.
Bang on.

Mainoo is a BIG talent, one of the best young players in the world. But he should be played further up the pitch.

Off his incredible peak but a very competent performance. There is no cause whatsoever for trashing Mainoo.