Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
His goal for this season will be to see if he can become a midfielder who takes control of the game and dominates it from a midfield perspective. Last season he had a tendency to drift in and out of games. Remains to be seen whether thats a by product of his youth or just a part of his game that he will keep.

Seems to have improved a bit in the air. Had a bit more of presence winning a few headers in the midfield.

His tendency to use of the outside of his foot to receive, take touches and carry a ball is quite unique. It gives him unorthodox angles and body feints whereas most players use their instep. A joy to watch at times.

Good player, but I think Adam Wharton is far more complete at this point and has more comprehensive attributes to control a midfield. If Ineos have a brain cell between them they’d activate his buy out clause before he ends up at another elite club.

I like how he goes for and wins a decent amount of aerial duels, no matter who he’s up against. At the very least this makes him not lose any by a margin so that his opponent would have the chance to direct his header to his teammate.

Yes it’s kind of basic stuff for a midfielder but plenty of them, in our team or otherwise, opt to stay grounded and react to the next ball/phase of play.

First half I thought he did more defensively than he usually does in an entire game. Faded the 2nd half.

I’m concerned about him. He is a defensive risk when the game expands and he simply can’t get around the pitch quickly enough. He’s a wonderful technician but I will repeat what I’ve been saying for months - I don’t think he’s best suited to playing as one of the first two midfielders due to the work required out of possession.
Hundred percent. People comparing him to Wharton are comparing two completely different kind of players. This kid should be treated like a modern day Iniesta, the way he can drive with the ball and his first touch is crazy. Could have been a Futsal player.

Good player, but I think Adam Wharton is far more complete at this point and has more comprehensive attributes to control a midfield. If Ineos have a brain cell between them they’d activate his buy out clause before he ends up at another elite club.
Nah Wharton looks a good player and a decent prospect. But Mainoo looks like a potential all timer.

Hopefully it’s a case of getting back to match fitness after his break, but won some good duels at times.

Hopefully it’s a case of getting back to match fitness after his break, but won some good duels at times.

He will always win duels. He doesn’t shrink from defensive work, his problem is covering ground. If a player is in front of him he will engage him, but he struggles to get to players and in the position we play him in, that’s a problem.

His biggest issue is fitness. He routinely fades after 60 minutes. Great talent who has no problem doing defensive work, but he needs to be able to sustain his play over 90.

He's also very young and been thrust into a prominent midfield role at Manchester United well before we'd ideally ask that of him and has basically played non-stop since returning from injury last season. Not really worried about him in any way, shape, or form.

How much is his buyout clause?

Working his way back to full fitness, kept us calm and on control for most parts of the game, gutted he didn't do better with that outside the box shot, hopefully he gets better and better as the season progresses.

He plays a mature game for someone of his age and experience. Great to have such a player come through our academy.

Some of you need to calm down. You're seeing a player who's the equivalent of a week and a half into his preseason and you're wondering why he's not playing like he's fully fit.
I reckon most of the players that missed the tours won't be fully fit until after the September internationals.

Amazing footballer. Don’t know why people are being so negative. His first half was a near perfect half of football as a midfielder. A midfield of him and Casemiro can’t sustain that - you need energy around him not old dead legs.

Last edited:
Seems to have improved a bit in the air. Had a bit more of presence winning a few headers in the midfield.

Stats wise he always won more than his fair share in the air and that hasnt changed. He doesnt get too many clean headers into a good position though, mostly wins the ball but cant direct the header too well to advance our play which is still stopping opponents from winning their headers in the way they want. The ball just kinda goes wherever it goes

He is quality. Build the midfield around him for the next 15 years

everything he does is deliberate, measured and with a bit of flair - he's Pogba without the ego.

He's NINETEEN and he's fecking ours

It's strange because at 19 and after 36 games you would naturally expect him to be playing like peak Modric by this point.

Hopefully he's still working back up to fitness after the euros

It's strange because at 19 and after 36 games you would naturally expect him to be playing like peak Modric by this point.

Hopefully he's still working back up to fitness after the euros
While playing next to a Casemiro whose is over the hill too.

He is a rare midfield talent who has such an absolute control of his actions on the ball. Quite incredible really.

He was our best player in the first half, very good all-round play and was especially solid defensively in positioning and duels. Tired off a bit into the second half and was completely spent 5 or so minutes before he came off. We desparately need capable midfileders to rotate him with, otherwise we'll burn him out and break him down before he gets to his prime.

Wonderful footballer even at his age though, so it's easier said than done and requires strong and astute management.

Think we need 2 midfielder this window. Mainoo at this age cant be expected to play all games. Giving him ample rest and build his fitness to last entire game should be our priority for this season.

Maybe giving 20-30 min to Collyer every now and then to see how he perfoms.

I think what is exciting about him is that yesterday was a pretty poor performance from him and it was still really solid.

He's just so technically good that at his absolute worse he's going to relieve pressure for you by looking after the ball, being press resistant and getting his side up the pitch.

The next step for him is to add a bit more volume to his game. If he can get himself on the ball more and control games more with his passing I think we'll eliminate some of the worst of the ping pong football moments.

Last edited:
The thing with Mainoo now is that because he has been so good so young and his potential is so high that anything below folks high expectations is classed as poor. Took a while to get into the game as we couldn’t get him on the ball. Once he stepped up though he was the reason we started controlling the game.

Casimero is definitely not his ideal partner. I’m hoping he finds someone complementary and as quick thinking. It’ll change us exponentially.

Starting to feel that needs a holding midfielder next to him rather than a roaming ball winner like Casemiro or Ugarte. Hopefully I'm wrong as we don't seem to be interested in that profile of midfielder right now.

His biggest issue is fitness. He routinely fades after 60 minutes. Great talent who has no problem doing defensive work, but he needs to be able to sustain his play over 90.

He's also very young and been thrust into a prominent midfield role at Manchester United well before we'd ideally ask that of him and has basically played non-stop since returning from injury last season. Not really worried about him in any way, shape, or form.
Or we surround him with players that can do more dirty work for him.

Think we need 2 midfielder this window. Mainoo at this age cant be expected to play all games. Giving him ample rest and build his fitness to last entire game should be our priority for this season.

Maybe giving 20-30 min to Collyer every now and then to see how he perfoms.
My thoughts too. Hes very young to be expected to play every match

ideal midfield partner for him. That's the one signing that absolutely needs to happen next summer.

We still need someone with him who can pass the ball from deep well, Casemiro isn't that and neither would Ugate. There is hope that Mainoo can develop that later in his career but right now that's a big hole in his ability. If we combine Pavlovic and Mainoo you'd have the perfect young midfielder.

Completely different players though, Mainoo is competing with Mount, Bruno, McT now he’s more advanced in midfield/AM type role. He’s not a CM who can sit and or dictate nor should we want him to be.

I personally think we need someone like Ugarte from what I have seen of him over someone like Wharton, even if there’s an argument that Wharton is a better all round player. Our team still needs more aggression and dynamism though the middle.

He’s getting better as the maturity comes but I still want to see him with a energetic midfield around him, I think as he progresses getting him higher up the pitch will be good.

My thoughts too. Hes very young to be expected to play every match
He is, annoyingly we don't have a like for like replacement. I'd be tempted to use Gore as his rotation once he's returned from his injury, he's similarly great at carrying and looking after the ball, not as physical as Kobbie though.

He is, annoyingly we don't have a like for like replacement. I'd be tempted to use Gore as his rotation once he's returned from his injury, he's similarly great at carrying and looking after the ball, not as physical as Kobbie though.
I would have liked to have brought in Ugarte + another to give that breathing room. But with so little time left now, we will be doing well to get Ugarte in

He’s getting better as the maturity comes but I still want to see him with a energetic midfield around him, I think as he progresses getting him higher up the pitch will be good.

Mainoo will be mismanaged if he continues to play deeper midfield or in a pivot, been saying this since the tail end of last season.

His strengths are further forward but the problem is it will contend with Fernandes.

Mainoo does a job in central midfield but to get the best of player, put him as the 10 or a highly advanced 8 essentially the role Odegaard plays for Arsenal.

I don't think he has the legs or mobility to play box to box.

Mainoo will be mismanaged if he continues to play deeper midfield or in a pivot, been saying this since the tail end of last season.

His strengths are further forward but the problem is it will contend with Fernandes.

Mainoo does a job in central midfield but to get the best of player, put him as the 10 or a highly advanced 8 essentially the role Odegaard plays for Arsenal.

Totally agree, for now a box to box midfielder looks his better role but we need a more athletic CDM to control midfield.

I wouldn't be against him turning into an Iniesta-like type role in midfield. United would still need a high volume passer, but with still having the ability to be press resistant.

Don't think he will be mismanaged at all. His first half was very good yesterday as the deep playmaker. He does play that role naturally, he just doesn't have the endurance for it. Can he eventually get it is a different question. But given he is developing and we have Bruno, he's fine being a deep playmaker but needs someone with legs next to him. His defensive work is quite good as well, while he has the fitness.

Long term who knows how it progresses. Been saying it that we're for sure going to target Wharton next summer. Could we see a long term midfield 3 of Wharton at the base of the triangle, Ugarte being a ball winning box to box player, and Mainoo as an attacking 8 where he provide that attacking 3rd creativity and link up play? I like the look of it but we'll see how it develops as we have to rebuild the midfield and it depends on Mainoos development

People should also keep in mind that he just turned 19 and his body is still growing and won't be at his physical prime for at least the next two years. That's why we need someone next to him covering more ground and doing most of the donkey work, especially if we insist on playing him every game. Once he's 21 and above, then I'd be happy to see him play more of a box-to-box role. For now, it would be smart to use his quality of passing and build up play further back, only moving forward a few times per match. And if we are dominating a team camped in their own half, he would naturally be joining more in the attack. This is why I think currently an Ugarte like profile would be his best partner.

Kobbie Mainoo just turned 19 a few months ago. There is still hope that someday, somehow that he will have “the legs”.