Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
The players look to be fed up of him. At various times last night Garnacho and Rashford just turned their backs on him after he fecked up yet another pass. His face sat on the bench after he came off said everything.

Perhaps not a bad player, even if he looks shit so far, but again a completely unnecessary signing and we needed to spend his money elsewhere.

I actually thought the goal was beautiful and shows how we should use him - almost like a wall you pass and bounce the ball back to your direction.

He obviously has some work to do but I'm patient because he is coming in to a team that's clearly struggling except maybe Onana.

Players like Ugarte & Zirkzee are not going to change Ten Hag; whilst some seem to give up on the player, I've seen enough of Ten Hag.

We arguably have what was regarded as the highest tackling CDM in Europe aswell as the most interlinking central forward - trying to build different specialities in to one single unit seems a job too hard for Ten Hag. If everyone was built to hold and retain possession then making something that looked more 'teamly' would be more possible & is why the majority of the fanbase want it especially under a manager like Ten Hag (not me personally).

He’s going to need a good bit of time, but I don’t think fans are going to have any patience for him. There is clearly a talented footballer there, but I don’t think his profile will be appreciated here. I also think the likes of Garnacho giving him grief on the pitch is pathetic.

I actually thought the goal was beautiful and shows how we should use him - almost like a wall you pass and bounce the ball back to your direction.

He obviously has some work to do but I'm patient because he is coming in to a team that's clearly struggling except maybe Onana.

Players like Ugarte & Zirkzee are not going to change Ten Hag; whilst some seem to give up on the player, I've seen enough of Ten Hag.

We arguably have what was regarded as the highest tackling CDM in Europe aswell as the most interlinking central forward - trying to build different specialities in to one single unit seems a job too hard for Ten Hag. If everyone was built to hold and retain possession then making something that looked more 'teamly' would be more possible & is why the majority of the fanbase want it especially under a manager like Ten Hag (not me personally).
He’s a terrific wall, think it was Palace away where he did a great job of that, especially the beautiful 1-2 with Bruno. The assist was a good example of that.

But yeah somethings not working as of yet.

For someone his size and physique he is very easy to push around and his first touch is not too good. Needs a few games in a lower division to toughen him up. Can’t see him ever doing anything at Utd and can’t understand why we bought him. Very disappointing.

First few games I liked the look of him, he has a nice touch and ability to create space by drawing in defenders and turning, however, it looks like he seriously lacks confidence at the moment. Over hitting passes, second guessing runs or not playing the killer ball at the right moment.

15 years ago this is not a problem, he would be afforded the time to grow but we are in a situation where we need players to deliver now.

What a mess.

The "players need time to adapt to the PL" idea is an overblown meme - you can tell because the example that's always given is a set of transfers from 18 years ago.
It’s the same tired examples

Manager is poor in the first two years - but Fergie took 6 years to win his first Prem.

New signing is crap in the first few months - but Evra and Vidic were terrible in their first 6 months.

Young striker not scoring enough goals - But Harry Kane was on loan in the championship at the same age.

It’s almost as if these three sets of examples doesn’t have arguably the best ever in PL history for their respective positions. Such lazy and tired examples as if every random manager will be SAF or players will have the quality of Vidic, Evra and Kane.

As you said, if it was that easy we’d have a lot more recent examples.

It's the rarest of threads, where he caf seems to be United behind a common belief.

I just can't quite believe that it about Zirkzee being a lost cause.

The hyperbole on display here is outrageous. You'd think Zirkzee had fecked half your sisters.

He's a young lad with an impressive highlight reel in Serie A. He's not even played 10 games for us. Writing him off at this stage makes it sound like you have some sort of agenda.

Lets put the pitchforks down, shall we?

He'll be 24 this season. He should be entering his prime.

I don't get how we've ended up with players like him and Mount who seemingly don't have an obvious position and are almost impossible to shoehorn into our team. The examples of awful thinking regarding transfers is just staggering at this stage.

It’s the same tired examples

Manager is poor in the first two years - but Fergie took 6 years to win his first Prem.

New signing is crap in the first few months - but Evra and Vidic were terrible in their first 6 months.

Young striker not scoring enough goals - But Harry Kane was on loan in the championship at the same age.

It’s almost as if these three sets of examples doesn’t have arguably the best ever in PL history for their respective positions. Such lazy and tired examples as if every random manager will be SAF or players will have the quality of Vidic, Evra and Kane.

As you said, if it was that easy we’d have a lot more recent examples.

Huh? Harry Kane was a 30 goal a season Premier League striker at his age. How old do people think he is? He'll be 24 this season!

His passing is really erratic. He could have had a couple of assists yesterday if he had weighted them better.

His passing is really erratic. He could have had a couple of assists yesterday if he had weighted them better.
His assist for Eriksen was controlled really well and quick and smoothly delivered though.

I don't get all the bashing of him just yet. He's a good allround player to have I think, and it sounds strange to loan him to Juve with no other "pure" striker options.

He's got a vibe of an academy product breaking through the ranks. If this were the case, most of us would be quite warm on him as a prospect for the future and occasional contribution in this campaign.

The problem is for the money spent and role assigned to him he's just below par.

Don’t get the bashing of him, he got an assist with a very nice control and pass for Eriksen. Sure he was erratic at times but it’s still early days. He didn’t cost that much money relatively £33m. Half that of Hojlund so he’s supposed to be a rotational player at best, Hojlund was bought to lead the team at double the price.

Don’t get the bashing of him, he got an assist with a very nice control and pass for Eriksen. Sure he was erratic at times but it’s still early days. He didn’t cost that much money relatively £33m. Half that of Hojlund so he’s supposed to be a rotational player at best, Hojlund was bought to lead the team at double the price.
I think the criticism comes from him not putting a foot right after that assist, along with some comically bad overhit passes. Link-up play is supposed to be his strength, but he completely failed at it yesterday, and also didn't show any real goal threat.

The commentator in my country mentioned at one point that he's already starting to regret his choice to come here and that he's looking for a way out. Has anything been mentioned in the British press? He plays the game in the nonchalant manner and with the apathetic intensity of Martial, yet lacks the latter's finesse on the ball and his finishing.

Not sure why we signed a false 9 in the first place. He’s nowhere near the profile this squad needs it’s a bizarre signing, what was the long term plan when Bruno plays 99% of games play a 10 and false 9?

Honestly no idea what the thinking behind it was

Individually he doesn't seem that good, if that's on the current system or we were duped again, it remains to be seen.

Not sure why we signed a false 9 in the first place. He’s nowhere near the profile this squad needs it’s a bizarre signing, what was the long term plan when Bruno plays 99% of games play a 10 and false 9?

Honestly no idea what the thinking behind it was

The thinking is the same of signing Mount, absolutely no thinking.

The commentator in my country mentioned at one point that he's already starting to regret his choice to come here and that he's looking for a way out. Has anything been mentioned in the British press? He plays the game in the nonchalant manner and with the apathetic intensity of Martial, yet lacks the latter's finesse on the ball and his finishing.

There's been a few rubbish reports about a loan to Milan in January

He plays like someone a lot younger and less experienced than he actually is. Early days, and I do see some things he gives the team. But would I have happily not signed him and bought a striker that you know actually looks like scoring goals? Obviously.

A signing I do not understand to this day. Utterly pointless. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves next summer.

This is a bit like the mason mount signing, we have signed someone who can not be played in his best possession (second striker) because bruno plays around the same area, the hilarious thing is I swear weghorst got more starts behind the striker than zirkzee has had and sums up ten hag odd ball decision making

An embodiment of everything wrong with players these days. Lots of fluff and no end product. Lacks desire, intensity and quality. Another one who overestimates his ability. Do the basics right consistently and then move up to the complex. Non existent against Fernabache and he will be lucky if he hits more than 5 goals this season.

We desperately needed a back up no9 for Hojland in the summer. Someone to push him for his place. We ended up signing another bits and pieces attacking player who is inconsistent and doesn't show any confidence in his play whatsoever.
I don't think you can blame this one on Ten Hag. Is this a Wilcox signing?

We desperately needed a back up no9 for Hojland in the summer. Someone to push him for his place. We ended up signing another bits and pieces attacking player who is inconsistent and doesn't show any confidence in his play whatsoever.
I don't think you can blame this one on Ten Hag. Is this a Wilcox signing?

We could have got Evanilson for €40m instead of spending the same amount on Zirkzee

The players look to be fed up of him. At various times last night Garnacho and Rashford just turned their backs on him after he fecked up yet another pass. His face sat on the bench after he came off said everything.
That's the most worrying thing for me. It's such early days but the body language of some of the other players makes it look like they are already frustrated with him, which tends to make me think he's been poor in training as well.

In saying that, some of our legends have said they had the same thoughts on Vidic and Evra in the early days and were questioning why they were bought. While I highly doubt Zirkzee reaches those heights, it does show that even the players who see them in training every day can misjudge a player. Zirkzee did have a few good performances early on so there is something there.

The "players need time to adapt to the PL" idea is an overblown meme - you can tell because the example that's always given is a set of transfers from 18 years ago.
Vidic and Evra are just two obvious examples that people use, but every season we see new players come to the league and take a while to really get going. That's not to say Zirkzee will be one of them and the odds are probably against him, but it's not exactly a huge surprise if he does improve a decent amount. Maybe Fred would be a more realistic and recent example, who was truly dreadful for the first 2/3rds of his first season before becoming at least a decent squad player for the rest of his time here. Martinez and Casemiro two more recent ones as well struggled a bit at first (although they both only took a month or two).

I think he is the type of profile that can work well in the event we move to 4222/442 (I am certain this is where we'll end up eventually) with him and Hojlund as a 9 and 10, where he is dropping in but also is more of a traditional striker than other 10's.

If I think of his pros, there are a lot - his size, touch, dribbling and ball retention are quite a unique combo and the thought of his dropping off the Cbs and holding the ball or playing little passes and linking things but also being a second runner with Hojlund into the box for crosses is quite exciting. He needs to work on his fitness and some of his passing yesterday was poor but it's all about these guy's ages and potential.

He is 23, Hojlund is 21,Garnacho is 20, Amad is 22, Mainoo is 19, Ugarte is 23...we only have 2/3 senior players in the attack/midfield: Rashford (who is not exactly old), Eriksen and Case.

He's at risk of being the player embodiment of ETH. Just like Fellaini was an embodiment of Moyes.
How is he at risk? Hojlund isn't that good either, these are the striker options. And he's played 12 games in the third season of Ten Hag, Weghorst played 31 games. McTominay played 85 games, Antony has played 87 games etc.

Onana would be a more recent example, possibly Hojlund to a lesser extent as well. Zirkzee came to us with an injury also, plus he's being played out of position. Neither of those help either. Some can blend in seamlessly such as Mazouri, others can take a bit of time adjusting to a new league. I'm not sure about him, I think his best position is where Bruno plays and it's evident he's not going to be played there. We are starting full backs there in Bruno's absence.

How is he at risk? Hojlund isn't that good either, these are the striker options. And he's played 12 games in the third season of Ten Hag, Weghorst played 31 games. McTominay played 85 games, Antony has played 87 games etc.

Cause he's not a typical United player, like Fellaini wasn't. Hojilund is miles better and ahead in development, what are you on about.

He’s going to need a good bit of time, but I don’t think fans are going to have any patience for him. There is clearly a talented footballer there, but I don’t think his profile will be appreciated here. I also think the likes of Garnacho giving him grief on the pitch is pathetic.

Who cares if he got it in him. For the price we bought him for we cant afford to give him 2-3 years to develop. If he's an academy than sure it's great.

But at times where we have glaring holes in the squad another 50plus millions down the drain.

Those who authorized this deal should get sacked for gross incompetence

Cause he's not a typical United player, like Fellaini wasn't. Hojilund is miles better and ahead in development, what are you on about.
Hojlund didn't score in the PL in his first 14 games, Zirkzee has only played 8 so far. What is a typical United player?