Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
We finished fifth the season before and sixth two seasons after. The second place the season he left was an outlier. It certainly is clear a few disagree - that's fine, it's a forum - but it's certainly not self-evident as a few seem to be trying to claim.

Edit: the discussion initially was actually me disputing the claim that Martial has been our best striker since Fergie left. Which is why I brought Ibra up.
Just cycled back through the discussion as I was astonished to see someone defend measly martial with such gusto.

An important thing was that the original poster you were replying to was specifically speaking about 19/20 Martial whereas the poster you last replied to was talking about Martial in general.

If we are basing our opinions on an average across all seasons then I find myself agreeing with you that Ibra was better than Martial. Tbh based on Martials whole time at United, I'd personally struggle to name worse strikers. That's why I'm astonished to see someone put up such a defence.

(Anway ignore me as I know this is off topic)

Just cycled back through the discussion as I was astonished to see someone defend measly martial with such gusto.

An important thing was that the original poster you were replying to was specifically speaking about 19/20 Martial whereas the poster you last replied to was talking about Martial in general.

If we are basing our opinions on an average across all seasons then I find myself agreeing with you that Ibra was better than Martial. Tbh based on Martials whole time at United, I'd personally struggle to name worse strikers. That's why I'm astonished to see someone put up such a defence.

(Anway ignore me as I know this is off topic)
I agree with you entirely - and I may have missed the nuance in them talking about martial for that one specific season but it's so tough to focus on one season and extrapolate to say he's our best striker since Fergie was here given the rest of his body of work (or lack of work).

But yeh, I'm kinda responsible for pulling things OT so shall quit chatting about AM and ZI from here on!

I agree with you entirely - and I may have missed the nuance in them talking about martial for that one specific season but it's so tough to focus on one season and extrapolate to say he's our best striker since Fergie was here given the rest of his body of work (or lack of work).

But yeh, I'm kinda responsible for pulling things OT so shall quit chatting about AM and ZI from here on!
Well, ZIrkzee would definitely be on topic!

But feel free to start a 'rank United's CFs post-SAF' thread, sounds like you guys would have a lot to discuss!

Not me, just realistic about how the caf behaves when things go south. He looked a bit Berbatov-ish to me and that'll get most on the caf on the fence eventually.
Ha. Understand now. Fair enough :)

People saying he'd work well with Sancho and Amad but I disagree. I think Rashford and Garnacho will absolutely love playing with him and I think they are the main reason we bought him. Especially against big teams or any gen-gen pressing team for that matter.
A common pattern I expect in those games is:
Win the ball in defense > foward ping into Zirkzee > Zirkzee holds off defenders, controls it and lays it off to Bruno > Bruno first time through ball behind the defense for Garnacho/ Rashford through on goal.
On the other hand, Amad and Hojlund would work better against a low block.
Once our players are fit, we'll have plenty of options, exciting time ahead.

A lot of people are already seeing him as the next thing. Please give hime some time, because if the expectations are soo high , you will most likely be disappointed. However good he is, and you will start to see only the negatives. In the netherlands we have a saying , which is 1 swallow does not make a summer. Meaning if it happens once it means nothing. Let us see in a game or three or four

A lot of people are already seeing him as the next thing. Please give hime some time, because if the expectations are soo high , you will most likely be disappointed. However good he is, and you will start to see only the negatives. In the netherlands we have a saying , which is 1 swallow does not make a summer. Meaning if it happens once it means nothing. Let us see in a game or three or four
The Netherlands should copyright that before some unscrupulous hacks like Aristotle steal it. ;)

People saying he'd work well with Sancho and Amad but I disagree. I think Rashford and Garnacho will absolutely love playing with him and I think they are the main reason we bought him. Especially against big teams or any gen-gen pressing team for that matter.
A common pattern I expect in those games is:
Win the ball in defense > foward ping into Zirkzee > Zirkzee holds off defenders, controls it and lays it off to Bruno > Bruno first time through ball behind the defense for Garnacho/ Rashford through on goal.
On the other hand, Amad and Hojlund would work better against a low block.
Once our players are fit, we'll have plenty of options, exciting time ahead.

Think you're looking way too black and white at it. Amad and Zirkzee are both intelligent footballers, just like Mainoo is. They can pass and move as well as anyone which is why many think they'll work well together.

The goal was a pleasant surprise. The assured touch and link up play is what piques my interest.

If you take JZ’s potential impact, add it to Amads ability to attack the right wing with incision while maintaining control, Mainoo’s growing comfort contributing with link up in tight space and Bruno’s attacking X factor, we may unlock a new dimension to our play. The ingredients are there to tackle low/mid blocks in a way that we didn’t really have last season.

He also appears to be built like a unit so that should help his contribution in congested areas.

Good luck to the kid.

do you think he will start from 1' tomorrow?

Brighton 2:1 Man Utd New
Not convinced. I don't want our #9 playing deeper than our #10. He played exactly the same role as Mount except he was worse. Slow, lacking in intensity and didn't press at all.

Shame he'll have to wait again for his first goal after scoring minus one today.

If Bruno just passes it to him instead of to Garnacho he scores the 1-2 instead of preventing it. Margins.

Invisible, gave us absolutely nothing up front and wasn’t in the game at all (apart from the obvious)

Not convinced. I don't want our #9 playing deeper than our #10. He played exactly the same role as Mount except he was worse. Slow, lacking in intensity and didn't press at all.
He'll be much better on the left, he's got all the tools to progress and retain the ball well. He's got an eye for a pass too.

I like him. Seems like he always makes the right decision with the pass which we so often lack. Diallo should’ve stayed onside for that pass up the line.

Maybe have more patience than an hour of game time without a recognised striker in the team

Lovely touches but there is a clear drop off in the pressing. Maybe Ugarte re-balances that, and we may find his style brings more out of the wide players than Hojlund.

Signing didn’t make sense to me especially for this team. That doesn’t mean he’s not a good player but he will frustrate massively this season because he’s not what we need him to be.

You can see he has quality but I would’ve preferred a proper No.9 or an actual goal scoring left winger. He’s neither.

Just two sub appearances, but he looks better than Hojlund for me. Looks far more mobile than him and better passer.

Unlucky. nothing he can do as he is already in motion. Like his game though

Some overreactions on here will come for sure. Interesting player to have imo.

Gutted for him. Media will have that clip on repeat until our next win. With the scousers next, could be a while until then.

Maybe have more patience than an hour of game time without a recognised striker in the team
This

Whilst it would have been nice for him to be a bit higher up the pitch instead of the false 9 role…after the Bruno sub. He certainly sees the game well. It’s clear he has good awareness of those around him and with good technique can have a positive role.

The disallowed goal is just unlucky with him sliding to reach the initial cross. Can’t be helped that.

There are players that get you on the edge of the seat the moment they step onto the pitch. Players so exciting you simply know they are going to make it. And then there are players like him

Really poor for the second game in a row. Doesn't offer much.

Scored last time, ruined a goal this time. Don't see it (yet).

Blaming him for the goal is stupid. He was sliding for the cross and couldn't get out of the way.

But I don't see how he works without Hojlund on the pitch, instead of replacing him.

How are some saying he was poor? What did he do that was so poor? He was good in the link up but he was very unlucky with the offside situation.