Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I assume he’s meant to be played along with a recognised striker? Like Hojlund?
I think he can work with two inside forwards running in behind him from the flanks. Rashford two years ago would probably love to play with Zirkzee. Garnacho should get some joy out of Zirkzee coming deep as well.

I think if you want to play both Højlund and Zirkzee together in this team it needs to be in some kind of 3-5-2, unless ten Hag thinks Højlund should play off the right in our current system. Of course in both cases Bruno and Zirkzee need to work out how to not get in each others way.

Martial worked fine with Bruno as a 10.

He’s a) not physically up to speed yet and b) not helped by the fact that the people who are supposed to play with him are all in bad form. Rashford is diabolical, Bruno is Bruno, Amad a mixed bag, Garnacho benched. He fed a lovely ball today to Amad who went offside, for instance. If our wingers stop being brain dead and Bruno dials down his possession losses, he will look good out there.
Martial was not a false 9 he was a proper striker that could also link play. Zirkzee doesn’t play like a striker at all to me.

Martial used to get on the end of Bruno passes all the time but Zirkzee looks to be in unthreatening positions most of the time.

I wonder what the overlap is between the posters who are the first to throw a strop when there is a bad result, bad performance or even a bad play in a game, and the posters who are the first to call the players mentally weak

Bit of a ghost today aside from the disallowed goal. Needs time to settle.

I like him and Bruno squares it to him instead he’s got a tap in for 2 in 2.
One of the problems highlighted with him when we signed is he doesn't bust a gut to be on the end of crosses which is why he doesn't score enough.

He made a good run for a tap in today as you said. And obviously scored from a cross in the last game. Judging by Ten Hag's comments it's something the coaches have emphasised and he appears to be listening.

One of the problems highlighted with him when we signed is he doesn't bust a gut to be on the end of crosses which is why he doesn't score enough.

He made a good run for a tap in today as you said. And obviously scored from a cross in the last game. Judging by Ten Hag's comments it's something the coaches have emphasised and he appears to be listening.

Good point and agreed. I hope that unfortunate incident on the line doesn’t deter him and he keeps going. I like seeing it.

Looks like a complete luxury type player to me. Needs a team to play more to his strengths then just seamlessly slotting in to any said formation/system.

Would explain why Zirkzee had little game time at the euros. A very talented player, but if the system isn't catered to him than the results won't be favourable.

Sometimes that's just how players are, James Rodriguez, Riquelme, Ortega, Dybala to name just a few.

I do like what I've seen from Zirkzee, has a classy touch and looks impressive from a technical perspective.

Looks like a complete luxury type player to me. Needs a team to play more to his strengths then just seamlessly slotting in to any said formation/system.

Would explain why Zirkzee had little game time at the euros. A very talented player, but if the system isn't catered to him than the results won't be favourable.

Sometimes that's just how players are, James Rodriguez, Riquelme, Ortega, Dybala to name just a few.

I do like what I've seen from Zirkzee, has a classy touch and looks impressive from a technical perspective.

Absolutely nailed it. I do not see this guy being a success at all. I think during the season he'll be one player the majority of fans will be blaming for a lack of effort and output. He's going to go missing for long periods of play. He will only suit a team that has lots of possession where he can find pockets of space and look effective. However in a dysfunctional team which under Ten Hag Utd will only ever be, he will struggle to influence games and his lack of work rate and style will lead to people criticising him massively IMO.

Not convinced. I don't want our #9 playing deeper than our #10. He played exactly the same role as Mount except he was worse. Slow, lacking in intensity and didn't press at all.

The Dutch McTominay

Shame he'll have to wait again for his first goal after scoring minus one today.

Back on zero goals in my book.

Invisible, gave us absolutely nothing up front and wasn’t in the game at all (apart from the obvious)

He said he isn't a 9 and isn't a 10. It shows.

Gave us nothing. Not to blame for the disallowed goal, but he was very poor

Signing didn’t make sense to me especially for this team. That doesn’t mean he’s not a good player but he will frustrate massively this season because he’s not what we need him to be.

You can see he has quality but I would’ve preferred a proper No.9 or an actual goal scoring left winger. He’s neither.

There are players that get you on the edge of the seat the moment they step onto the pitch. Players so exciting you simply know they are going to make it. And then there are players like him

Really poor for the second game in a row. Doesn't offer much.

Scored last time, ruined a goal this time. Don't see it (yet).

Feeling irrational annoyance towards him right now.

Despite my positivity in the EtH thread I’m convinced this guy will flop. Just not seeing it.

Not sure what he will bring to us but early doors. Looks like a less talented and heavier version of Berbatov

Bit of a ghost today aside from the disallowed goal. Needs time to settle.

Not a good showing today but he needs time and we need to be more in control of games when he's on the field. Offside wasn't his fault at all

A bit early really and not enough time, however based on his cameos I think he is a deft player, quick mover of the ball and mostly the right ball to the right player. Continues his runs into the box from deep and hence scores one great goal and unfortunately cost one today.

I do feel he is quicker than he looks but his style of running is languid and a little strange, as was his goal celebration. Looks awkward.

Looked shattered in his two cameos and looks a little heavy.

Can actually see him and Amad being a great twosome to open up deeper defences. Garnacho also possibly but he has a reluctance to pass.

I like him, he actually wants to get in the box. The offside goal was really unlucky, another day he'd be steeling that as a goal. He really should be starting given Hojlund is out.

A bit early really and not enough time, however based on his cameos I think he is a deft player, quick mover of the ball and mostly the right ball to the right player. Continues his runs into the box from deep and hence scores one great goal and unfortunately cost one today.

I do feel he is quicker than he looks but his style of running is languid and a little strange, as was his goal celebration. Looks awkward.

Looked shattered in his two cameos and looks a little heavy

Can actually see him and Amad being a great twosome to open up deeper defences. Garnacho also possibly but he has a reluctance to pass.

I was trying to work out is it just his physique which makes him look so laboured when running, or is he still building his match fitness.

He certainly appears to be quick thinking, have a deft touch and canny in his movement. I'm intrigued to see how he develops as he gets up to speed.

He slid for the first cross from Bruno. By the time Garnacho hit it Zirkzee was already in momentum. I watched the replay at least 10 times. I don't understand how he could have avoided contact. More I watched I noticed he actually tried to avoid but practically couldn't. It was nothing like brainfart or hero to zero moment as some here are saying.

I know it was split second for Garnacho, but he knew Zirkzee sliding. Only if he could have hit it more cleanly instead of hitting the ball at Zirkzee...

I think he looks decent, but he was stupid for the goal and cost us points. His touch is class, and he disguises his passes well. I want him to up his energy. Am sick of so many of our players lacking intensity. Watched Tottenham for a bit last night, and they had Everton in a jam jar.

Did a lot of running when he came on and he is probably in shock after playing in the pedestrian Serie A.
His technique is there for all to see and if we use him properly and he adjusts to the Premier League I think we have a player on our hands.

Did a lot of running when he came on and he is probably in shock after playing in the pedestrian Serie A.
His technique is there for all to see and if we use him properly and he adjusts to the Premier League I think we have a player on our hands.

Good post, agree

Looks very good technically but we need to see him in a run of game to really judge him , hard for him to make an impression when he he only getting half games here and there.

Zirkzee looks a potentially fantastic striker option coming off the bench. Nothing to wring hands over.

But looking at the reply on the disallowed goal it was a bad decision but an understandable one. We were desperate for a goal and the net was open and the last thing you want to do as a striker is to not be there for the ball.

On that last point, crazy how some commentators are arguing that the offside rule be changes to account to account for intent, which is impossible.

He slid for the first cross from Bruno. By the time Garnacho hit it Zirkzee was already in momentum. I watched the replay at least 10 times. I don't understand how he could have avoided contact. More I watched I noticed he actually tried to avoid but practically couldn't. It was nothing like brainfart or hero to zero moment as some here are saying.

I know it was split second for Garnacho, but he knew Zirkzee sliding. Only if he could have hit it more cleanly instead of hitting the ball at Zirkzee...
Yea, I think as fans we want to see culpability because it gives some comfort in the illusory feeling of control. Realistically, that goal was destroyed by sheer bad luck, a perfect storm in a tea cup if you will. Amad, Bruno, Garnacho and Zirkzee really did what you can expect any football player to do in their positions, and it almost was a brilliantly taken counter attack goal. Margins.

I like him. He'd be a great 10 behind Hojlund, and the wide players would love him. Only problem is Bruno, who seems to be undroppable.

I think he has the potential to be a very very good second striker of striker which is mainly used for link-up play (with people surrounding him ending up in the box a la Firmino), but the disallowed goal also confirmed for me that - at least at this moment - he is not a real striker that lives for goals yet..

If you are really a goal scorer, he would have been in the right spot to slide the ball in before it even reached Garnacho.. He had the time and the space to make the sprint/run and 'BE there', but lack of real goal scoring concentration/intuition made him wallow behind a little too long to slide the ball in immediately.

To some extent this is intuition, but I really think is it trainable to some extent and someone which someone can improve. I really hope and expect these are the things Ruud will point out to him in post-match evaluations and will be up on his ass about..

Could be that this type of singing would mean we would want to switch to 4-3-3 in the long term with him dropping deep and linking up? Or perhaps I try him at number 10.

As I told you Joshua is not the classic 9 but more of a link player. He has infinite technique and a vision of the game rarely seen on the pitch. The way MU plays now will probably always be in difficulty even if he is capable of inventing at any moment. In Bologna we went to the CL almost exclusively thanks to him. The midfielders scored more goals than Zirkzee himself thanks to him.