Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
We’ve got to give him more time to make any sort of comprehensive summary about this guy, but I worry about his mobility and general profile of play. So far he’s even deeper than Martial ever was.

Nice first touch though.

Blaming him for goal is stupid. It is on Garnacho's poor finish (who had all goal empty).

Mount was one of our best 2 attacking players in the first half, then was subbed for Zirkzee... We played worse in general but he also played worse than Mount

Not his fault Garnacho knocked the ball into him

He was sliding for Bruno's pass. As he wanted to stand up, the ball hit his knee. I mean he cannot disappear, he got shot at. Just unlucky.

We need to find a way to involve our strikers more. Højlund last year wasn't involved enough, and it seemed to be the case for Zirkzee today as well even though he comes very deep at times.

It's still very early in the season with loads of players still getting up to speed after tournaments and arriving at the club.

Feeling irrational annoyance towards him right now.

Nothing against him as a player, but I have no idea why we signed him. Doesn't look like the #9 striker we needed.

Plays so deep he solves zero problems.

He did ok, our attacks had more purpose with him present. Very unlucky with the disallowed goal. He couldn’t get out of the way.

Have no clue how people are upset with him, thought his touches and passing were fecking brilliant today and he was very unlucky for the disallowed goal.

But this is also what's going to happen no matter who our striker is, the way this team is set up there's just 0 play through the middle of the pitch. You could have prime Lewandowski there and we'd struggle to find him consistently because every build up pattern eventually moves to the edges of the pitch.

Nothing against him as a player, but I have no idea why we signed him. Doesn't look like the #9 striker we needed.

Plays so deep he solves zero problems.
That's what I kept shouting throughout the summer. He is not your typical striker, when we needed a legit goal scorer. He is false 9, almost a number 10. He likes to get involved in the build-up and doesn't have the instincts or the goal scoring hunger that top strikers possess. Still, he is a good player but I don't think he'll work in a system with Bruno as a #10 as they like occupying the same spaces.

That's what I kept shouting throughout the summer. He is not your typical striker, when we needed a legit goal scorer. He is false 9, almost a number 10. He likes to get involved in the build-up and doesn't have the instincts or the goal scoring hunger that top strikers possess. Still, he is a good player but I don't think he'll work in a system with Bruno as a #10 as they like occupying the same spaces.
Martial worked fine with Bruno as a 10.

He’s a) not physically up to speed yet and b) not helped by the fact that the people who are supposed to play with him are all in bad form. Rashford is diabolical, Bruno is Bruno, Amad a mixed bag, Garnacho benched. He fed a lovely ball today to Amad who went offside, for instance. If our wingers stop being brain dead and Bruno dials down his possession losses, he will look good out there.

I like him. Seems like he always makes the right decision with the pass which we so often lack. Diallo should’ve stayed onside for that pass up the line.

Problem is we didn't get the ball to him.
Every touch and pass he made was good. He just didn't see enough of it

Have no clue how people are upset with him, thought his touches and passing were fecking brilliant today and he was very unlucky for the disallowed goal.

But this is also what's going to happen no matter who our striker is, the way this team is set up there's just 0 play through the middle of the pitch. You could have prime Lewandowski there and we'd struggle to find him consistently because every build up pattern eventually moves to the edges of the pitch.

This.

Same thing with Hojlund last season.

Despite my positivity in the EtH thread I’m convinced this guy will flop. Just not seeing it.

Not sure what he will bring to us but early doors. Looks like a less talented and heavier version of Berbatov

Where exactly is he going to play? He looks more or a 10 dropping into midfield and linking up so just clogs up that part of the pitch more or will ETH tell him to link play higher up? I don’t see how he’s going to help with our non structure issue.

I've liked what I've seen from him so far

Martial worked fine with Bruno as a 10.

He’s a) not physically up to speed yet and b) not helped by the fact that the people who are supposed to play with him are all in bad form. Rashford is diabolical, Bruno is Bruno, Amad a mixed bag, Garnacho benched. He fed a lovely ball today to Amad who went offside, for instance. If our wingers stop being brain dead and Bruno dials down his possession losses, he will look good out there.
Zirkzee is not Martial. Tony was faster, more skillfull, a better dribbler & goal scorer. He was a pretty complete player skill wise but his problem was laziness & a serious lack of motivation. Just didn't have the drive, and then injuries started taking the toll.

Also, he didn't drop as deep as Zirkzee does. He was a decent link-up player with ability to hold up the ball as is Zirkzee. Rest nothing is common between them.

Can see he has some good qualities to his game. Not quite sure where it all fits together when everyone is fit though.

I thought he was good today. He’ll be a success here judging by what I’ve seen.

Last week he was the next Zlatan, now he's a poor man's Berbatov. Give the dude a few games to adapt.

Last week he was the next Zlatan, now he's a poor man's Berbatov. Give the dude a few games to adapt.

Literally could watch every touch/action he had today and I don't think he made a step wrong, yet many are just pissed at him and think he'll flop here for reasons?

Also could have had an early assist if not for a diabolical Bruno touch.

I assume he’s meant to be played along with a recognised striker? Like Hojlund?

He was unlucky and took decent positions. I thought pass should have gone to Zirkzee instead of Garnacho. I think him and Rasmus will be good together.. Garnacho Zirkzee and Rasmus should be our frontline post international break

We have Bruno/Mount/Zirkzee who are best deployed as 10s. He looks like a good player but not sure we needed his profile
Yes, there’s a danger we end up looking like a funny hotch potch of players. The anti-pep squad

He's decent for what he is, which is a false 9. I'm not convinced that we have the players to make a false 9 system work though.