Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Well you are right!…..Why this “19/20 Martial is still the best striker we've had here post RVP” hasn’t found a club since leaving United?
Because that was a while ago and he obviously isn't that player anymore. Did it even need explaining ?

What I liked about his goal the most was his run and position sense. Unlike Hojlund he wasn't eager to make an early run, but he stayed back a little and then plunged to get the vital touch. Perfect.

What I liked about his goal the most was his run and position sense. Unlike Hojlund he wasn't eager to make an early run, but he stayed back a little and then plunged to get the vital touch. Perfect.

I wonder would McTominay have scored.

Nope, Zlatan was better and more consistent
Zlatan was a better player, but our play was too focussed on him. We had everything running through him which didn't suit the others' games as much. Martial facilitated the others around him, like making runs for Rashford to make space for him.

Personally the best striker we've had post Fergie was Cavani, albeit it was only really 6 months. He was a real joy to watch for me - everything he did was just textbook striker.

Zlatan was a better player, but our play was too focussed on him. We had everything running through him which didn't suit the others' games as much. Martial facilitated the others around him, like making runs for Rashford to make space for him.

Personally the best striker we've had post Fergie was Cavani, albeit it was only really 6 months. He was a real joy to watch for me - everything he did was just textbook striker.
I thought Zlatan played well with others tbh, but you're right, I'd probably also have Cavani ahead of Martial.

I remember him as a very young forward in the Bayern reserve teams in my old football manager games, and now United actually bought him in real life. Good memories

I still don't really understand the finish. He's scored with his instep as the ball travels across (or through??) the outside of his boot. He hasn't flicked his foot around it to get the angle, his leg isn't travelling upwards to meet the cross, his body position is always facing straight at the goal and not pivoting towards or from the incoming ball.

It's a bit like string theory or internal workings of a woman - I want to appreciate it, but every time I try I just get confused instead. A wizard did it; that's my conclusion.

I still don't really understand the finish. He's scored with his instep as the ball travels across (or through??) the outside of his boot. He hasn't flicked his foot around it to get the angle, his leg isn't travelling upwards to meet the cross, his body position is always facing straight at the goal and not pivoting towards or from the incoming ball.

It's a bit like string theory or internal workings of a woman - I want to appreciate it, but every time I try I just get confused instead. A wizard did it; that's my conclusion.

He just guided it into the corner with his instep, a bit like a glancing header.

It was a nice finish but it wasn't sorcery :lol:

Although the camera angles weren't great. I kept thinking McT got a touch, when I knew he hadn't.
It wasn't helped by the confusion of the commentary team to be fair. I think Nev initially called it McTominay's goal before saying it deflected off Zirkzee.

He willed it into the goal with a slight touch of his foot.
Burn him!

No chance, Ibra was all about himself and the whole team suffered from it. Martial facilitated all those around him and still scored a fair amount, his 19/20 season was definitely the best striker performance we've had since RvP.
Nonsense. Martial's 'facilitation' is drastically overrated and mostly in the minds of Martial FC. The team absolutely didn't suffer from having Zlatan ffs. It wasn't a Ronaldo situation.

Nonsense. Martial's 'facilitation' is drastically overrated and mostly in the minds of Martial FC. The team absolutely didn't suffer from having Zlatan ffs. It wasn't a Ronaldo situation.

I think it did. I got the impression the whole time he was here that it was good for him but to the detriment of the overall team play. He still had a great shot and eye for goal but everything slowed down once the ball went to him.

I think it did. I got the impression the whole time he was here that it was good for him but to the detriment of the overall team play. He still had a great shot and eye for goal but everything slowed down once the ball went to him.
That's not how I remember it at all. We won the Europa League and league cup with him and he was nommed for PFA player of the year (all according to wiki!)

Our attack almost always functioned best with him in it, even EtH who came after is on record saying it. The nonsense is coming from you, still harping on about Martial FC when the man is gone. Zlatan gutted our whole team play as it seemed like everyone was instructed to pass to him or afraid not to, which made our whole play inneficient while he only upped his goal tally.

Wrong, and many thought even at the time the the team was too indulgent to how Ibra wanted to play
Wrong. As said, he was up for PFA player of the year and helped us win two cups. People think a lot of things, but that doesn't make those things correct.

Our attack almost always functioned best with him in it, even EtH who came after is on record saying it. The nonsense is coming from you, still harping on about Martial FC when the man is gone. Zlatan gutted our whole team play as it seemed like everyone was instructed to pass to him or afraid not to, which made our whole play inneficient while he only upped his goal tally.
Imagine a manager trying to talk up one of his players. Who'd have thought it. Zlatan gutted our team play? Won two cups and was up for pfa player of the year. But yeah, he was the problem...

Imagine a manager trying to talk up one of his players. Who'd have thought it. Zlatan gutted our team play? Won two cups and was up for pfa player of the year. But yeah, he was the problem...
Always passing to someone who is selfish leads to the detriment of the team, and that's what happened so no need to even wonder about it. Yeah, we won two cups alright, Carabao and Europa while playing depressing underdog football with talented players misused.

Always passing to someone who is selfish leads to the detriment of the team, and that's what happened so no need to even wonder about it. Yeah, we won two cups alright, Carabao and Europa while playing depressing underdog football with talented players misused.
Ah ok, so just disregard the trophies because it doesn't fit your narrative and you didn't like the way we played. Totally ignoring the fact that it's been our most successful season since Fergie and one that hasn't since been replicated. Weirdly coincides with Zlatan being there. Strange that...

Last edited:
Ah ok, so just disregard the trophies because it doesn't fit your narrative and you didn't like the way we played. Totally ignoring the fact that it's been our most successful season since Fergie and one that hadn't been replicated. Weirdly coincides with Zlatan being there. Strange that...
We had a team capable to win those small cups while playing better football, it was not because of 'your majesty' Zlatan that we won them, it was in spite of him.

We had a team capable to win those small cups while playing better football, it was not because of 'your majesty' Zlatan that we won them, it was in spite of him.
Despite him being the only united player nominated for PFA player of the year and being included in the Europa team of the year...it was all done in spite of him?! Gotcha, makes a lot of sense...

Despite him being the only united player nominated for PFA player of the year and being included in the Europa team of the year...it was all done in spite of him?! Gotcha, makes a lot of sense...
He was nominated because the media and some fans are obsessed with numbers and wanting to anoint individuals as saviors of a team. Yes, our team inefficiently pulled through many games and made hard work of teams we were capable of easily dispatching had we used the players correctly, so it was in spite of him.

He was nominated because the media and some fans are obsessed with numbers and wanting to anoint individuals as saviors of a team. Yes, our team inefficiently pulled through many games and made hard work of teams we were capable of easily dispatching had we used the players correctly, so it was in spite of him.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree at this point. You're ignoring all evidence that contradicts what you believe (including trophies and award nominations) so it's clear you're not going to change your mind. Again, we haven't been as successful in terms of trophies before (post Fergie) or since. You may not have liked the football but it was successful and Zlatan was a huge part of that. To say those trophies were in spite of him is genuinely ludicrous. Particularly when we won nothing for at least a few seasons after he left.

I feel like we can split off a 'post-SAF strikers not named Zirkzee' thread here. Can we at least try to weave Zirkzee back into the discussion?

I feel like we can split off a 'post-SAF strikers not named Zirkzee' thread here. Can we at least try to weave Zirkzee back into the discussion?
Apologies, I'm being argumentative. Shall step away!

That was the first match I've watched him play, albeit for just 10-15 minutes...But it was very obvious that he is a CF who likes to play in the middle, so in my mind that put an end to any idea he would be used on the wings.

His hold up play was very smooth, looks like he has a great first touch which is always pleasing.

Will be a huge plus to have him and Hojlund fit and ready in the same matchday squad.

That was the first match I've watched him play, albeit for just 10-15 minutes...But it was very obvious that he is a CF who likes to play in the middle, so in my mind that put an end to any idea he would be used on the wings.

His hold up play was very smooth, looks like he has a great first touch which is always pleasing.

Will be a huge plus to have him and Hojlund fit and ready in the same matchday squad.
His involvement in build up, his press resistance, positioning, touches, everything was very good. He has certainly raised my expectations. Looking forward to see him starting next games.

Wrong. As said, he was up for PFA player of the year and helped us win two cups. People think a lot of things, but that doesn't make those things correct.

Someone being up for PFA player of the year doesn’t necessarily mean we played better as a team with him versus other players. You can think it does, but that doesn’t make it correct.

For example, we scored far fewer PL goals as a team that season compared with the following season when Ibra barely played and Martial played a lot more.

Going back to Zirkzee, I just hope we see some consistency over multiple seasons. That’s the one thing we haven’t had in our frontline for far too long.

Someone being up for PFA player of the year doesn’t necessarily mean we played better as a team with him versus other players. You can think it does, but that doesn’t make it correct.

For example, we scored far fewer PL goals as a team that season compared with the following season when Ibra barely played and Martial played a lot more.

Going back to Zirkzee, I just hope we see some consistency over multiple seasons. That’s the one thing we haven’t had in our frontline for far too long.
And yet what did we win the season after vs the season in question? You can think we played better as a team but that doesn't make it correct...

To be honest, I thought he was having a very average cameo up till the goal. Made a few off the ball runs and his pressing game seemed good and nothing more to shout about.

But after the goal, he seemed much more involved and a decent amount of play went through him. Might be imagination playing tricks on me though!