Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

I will await the journalistic pronouncements that the ends justified the means.
To clarify, this isn't connected to the massacres in Jabalia in northern Gaza reported before.

And his death is hardly the end goal either, this won't make them stop at all but actually encourage them more.

Genocide live on tv while the world's democracies support or ignore. And many hundreds of millions of western voters gladly casting their vote for those supporting this. Moral superiority of the west indeed.

I think the vast majority of people, and state leaders, feel powerless, not joyful.

It's a war where none of the warring sides care about civilian lives. Israel is not stopping their onslaught until they have removed Hamas from Gaza - at least then the worst attacks would end and aid organisations could get in there. And Hamas aren't interested in ending the war because it suits their political agenda that Israel are becoming more brutal by the day, gradually losing support in Europe and that the West/Mid-East divide is strengthened.

Any other nation/state that lost 5% of their population, where 80% are displaced and are on the brink of a hunger catastrophe that could end up with 15-20% dead within a year or less - would surrender. Not because it is morally right, but to protect civilian lives. It is much harder to justify bombing Gaza to smitherines and maintaining a war council domestically when your enemy has surrendered.

Politically it is also far easier for western democracies, including the US, to pressure Israel when there isn't an active war ongoing against Hamas. That is why the US is willing to threaten with blocking weapon trade for humanitarian aid, but not military operations.

If Sinwar is dead, it will be difficult for Israel to argue they can do any more to weaken Hamas. He was really the last one, and reportedly also a hardliner in negotiations compared to Haniyeh. Wonder whether his death might make a ceasefire in Gaza more likely, though Israel show little appetite in stopping.

If Sinwar is dead, it will be difficult for Israel to argue they can do any more to weaken Hamas. He was really the last one, and reportedly also a hardliner in negotiations compared to Haniyeh. Wonder whether his death might make a ceasefire in Gaza more likely, though Israel show little appetite in stopping.
They'll move the goalposts like they do everytime. In fact they already have, its now about targeting Iran. Hamas aren't even a priority for the Israelis, never has been tbh. They've been desperately trying to drag the US into a regional war, all while occupying and swallowing swathes of territory.

I'll also expect them to start saying the quiet bit out loud - i.e. the necessity of annexing Gaza to 'guarantee the safety of Israelis'.

I think the vast majority of people, and state leaders, feel powerless, not joyful.

It's a war where none of the warring sides care about civilian lives. Israel is not stopping their onslaught until they have removed Hamas from Gaza - at least then the worst attacks would end and aid organisations could get in there. And Hamas aren't interested in ending the war because it suits their political agenda that Israel are becoming more brutal by the day, gradually losing support in Europe and that the West/Mid-East divide is strengthened.

Any other nation/state that lost 5% of their population, where 80% are displaced and are on the brink of a hunger catastrophe that could end up with 15-20% dead within a year or less - would surrender. Not because it is morally right, but to protect civilian lives. It is much harder to justify bombing Gaza to smitherines and maintaining a war council domestically when your enemy has surrendered.

Politically it is also far easier for western democracies, including the US, to pressure Israel when there isn't an active war ongoing against Hamas. That is why the US is willing to threaten with blocking weapon trade for humanitarian aid, but not military operations.

You're looking at this as a war, I'm looking at it as a genocide. Israel doesn't care about hamas or hostages or surrenders, they care about eliminating a population from a specific geographical area.

Western leaders are not powerless, they can stop selling weapons to israel, they can embargo them. They are actively doing the opposite, keeping israel well armed and with a functioning economy.

They also killed Nasrullah and only escalated in Lebanon, so the death of Sinwar isn't likely to do the opposite.

They'll move the goalposts like they do everytime. In fact they already have, its now about targeting Iran. Hamas aren't even a priority for the Israelis, never has been tbh. They've been desperately trying to drag the US into a regional war, all while occupying and swallowing swathes of territory.

Yep. Already happened several times in the past year.

You're looking at this as a war, I'm looking at it as a genocide. Israel doesn't care about hamas or hostages or surrenders, they care about eliminating a population from a specific geographical area.

Western leaders are not powerless, they can stop selling weapons to israel, they can embargo them. They are actively doing the opposite, keeping israel well armed and with a functioning economy.

I am a pragmatist. It is a genocide that is made easier by the fact that Israel can claim that they are at war with Hamas. If Hamas were to surrender there would be a much higher international pressure for international humanitarian organizations to gain access to Gaza to provide emergency relief. Citizens of Western countries would enter Gaza and Israel can't indiscriminately bomb Gaza when allied citizens with western sounding names and western press coverage are all over the place.

Changing Gaza from an "active war-zone" to a "former war-zone" opens up political possibilities in terms of sanctions, threats, security guarantees, international cooperation and political pressure both domestically and internationally that are closed at the moment. With the US election coming up, it is also much easier for a US president to pressure Israel harder during peace-talks with an enemy that has surrendered, than if Israel is "at war with an enemy that was behind the worst attack on the jewish population since the holocaust".

Then you have the Israeli situation. There are some protests, some voices of dissent, however as long as Bibi can frame this as an existential war connected to October 7th 2023, he keeps a lot of his legitimacy. If Hamas surrenders he loses his number one stated goal, which is to ensure that "Hamas can make no claim to govern in Palestinian territories or pose a threat to Israel".

Regardless of what happens after that, at least there will be some relief for people in Gaza, and maybe we can avoid a massive humanitarian catastrophe.

More like over the last 30 years.

I don't think Netanyahu has an endgame in all of this, other than to do whatever is necessary to hold on to power for as long as possible to avoid the inevitable inquest about why last October happend and to dodge corruption charges.

I don't think Netanyahu has an endgame in all of this, other than to do whatever is necessary to hold on to power for as long as possible to avoid the inevitable inquest about why last October happend and to dodge corruption charges.

Yep.

His endgame is getting elected again.

I am a pragmatist. It is a genocide that is made easier by the fact that Israel can claim that they are at war with Hamas. If Hamas were to surrender there would be a much higher international pressure for international humanitarian organizations to gain access to Gaza to provide emergency relief. Citizens of Western countries would enter Gaza and Israel can't indiscriminately bomb Gaza when allied citizens with western sounding names and western press coverage are all over the place.

Changing Gaza from an "active war-zone" to a "former war-zone" opens up political possibilities in terms of sanctions, threats, security guarantees, international cooperation and political pressure both domestically and internationally that are closed at the moment. With the US election coming up, it is also much easier for a US president to pressure Israel harder during peace-talks with an enemy that has surrendered, than if Israel is "at war with an enemy that was behind the worst attack on the jewish population since the holocaust".

Then you have the Israeli situation. There are some protests, some voices of dissent, however as long as Bibi can frame this as an existential war connected to October 7th 2023, he keeps a lot of his legitimacy. If Hamas surrenders he loses his number one stated goal, which is to ensure that "Hamas can make no claim to govern in Palestinian territories or pose a threat to Israel".

Regardless of what happens after that, at least there will be some relief for people in Gaza, and maybe we can avoid a massive humanitarian catastrophe.
After the last year, I don't know how you can believe what you wrote in your first post is true. That's not pragmatism, that's living in dreamland. We've long passed the point where this is about hamas. Israeli politicians have been telling us so openly, why don't you believe them?

After the last year, I don't know how you can believe what you wrote in your first post is true. That's not pragmatism, that's living in dreamland. We've long passed the point where this is about hamas. Israeli politicians have been telling us so openly, why don't you believe them?
30% of the Knesset just attended a rally organized by Likud named 'Gaza is ours'.

That's the minimum, sadly Hamas gave them an excuse on 7/10 so they will milk it until they get what they want.

You misunderstand. I have no doubt that Israel would want to continue, and that many Israeli politicians want to annex Gaza is quite clear. I'm saying the international response would be different if Hamas surrendered, because it would change the political calculus for other countries.

Biden is limited in what he can do because of the election - not supporting Israel in a war would be suicidal. The Arab League can't do much about Palestine while there is an ongoing war between Israel and the "governing power". The European countries can't afford to weaken Israel for their own security reasons and the threat of an emboldened Iran. As long as the situation remains like that, Gaza won't recieve the help it needs.

In Israel there will be no real challenge to the hawks in the knesset while the war against Hamas continues. It is a very convenient excuse for the hardliners who are essentially exploiting a national trauma. Being at war gives Netanyahu way too much power domestically and blocks any possibility for dissent.

If you work in the public sector or for public institutions in Germany and paint the cruel murder of civilians, especially Jewish ones, as something without alternative, you‘re done. Within seconds. And rightly so.

What do you think has changed in the past year?

What do you think has changed in the past year?

I don’t think anything has changed, really. My point still stands. The issue is that the very same principle isn’t extended to Palestinians, who sadly and for reasons both racist and due to political pressure, don’t seem to matter at all in our political landscape.
Painting the cruel murder of Jewish civilians as something without alternative is and always will be wrong. That doesn’t change that the same should count for Palestinians. So attacking schools or hospitals in Gaza is obviously just as wrong and horrible.
It is another great failure of our nation, that we once again are complicit in genocide. Same shit we did with the Armenians, really.

Hopefully the death of Sinwar will allow the bloodlust to dampen down at least a little and bring about an end.

Interesting that he was above ground, with a weapon and not surrounded by hostages as was always assumed and suggested. Will only add to his mystique I'm sure for those who support him.

Its an interesting long term strategy Israel has. It really solidifies absolute hatred of it within the region as a whole. Even Arabs I know who were about as pro Israel as people may get in the Arab world are at an absolute loss. A long term strategy requiring perpetual military superiority over all your neighbours doesn't seem to be that smart to me.

Hopefully the death of Sinwar will allow the bloodlust to dampen down at least a little and bring about an end.

Interesting that he was above ground, with a weapon and not surrounded by hostages as was always assumed and suggested. Will only add to his mystique I'm sure for those who support him.

Its an interesting long term strategy Israel has. It really solidifies absolute hatred of it within the region as a whole. Even Arabs I know who were about as pro Israel as people may get in the Arab world are at an absolute loss. A long term strategy requiring perpetual military superiority over all your neighbours doesn't seem to be that smart to me.
Hopefully. But I share the sentiment with others that Israel will just move the goalposts.

To the surprise of no one.

Far-right, centre or left, it's all just one colonial mindset.

Last edited:
Israelis saying it officially now

Was killed yesterday apparently

This was always just some dumb racist stuff… the hostages are more valuable alive, that’s why Hamas has been doing whatever they can to keep them alive. Having them with Sinwar would only increase the chances of Israel killing them.

Our establishment always fails to understand the mindset of those who resist our occupation of their land. Sinwar’s fight was always motivated by his (ridiculous, may I say) religious beliefs. He’s not afraid of death and the way he got killed will probably make him a hero, instead of being remembered for orchestrating October 7th which killed and kidnapped hundreds of civilians, which momentarily tarnished the Palestinian cause, he will be remembered by his people for standing up to the genocidal occupiers until his last breaths. Very stupid from the Israeli regime not to cover up the circumstances of his killing. They should have made it look more heroic and pretend they’d got to him deep in a luxurious tunnel. (Lying is their speciality, and this was a moment they’d need that) Or that they’d killed him in one of their recent massacres by airstrike on civilian tents…

Last edited:

You're not a pragmatist, you're living in La-la-land.

You have absolutely no grasp on the nature, the reality and the ins- and outs of this "war".

I fear Netanyahu will see it as a step towards total victory, and not an opportunity to end the war by declaring victory, unfortunately.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Hamas leadership though. I don't think there’s a stand out candidate in Hamas' ranks atm. Khaled Meshaal maybe, he looked fairly likely before Sinwar was chosen? Khalil al-Hayya could maybe be an alternative? Whomever it is, will not be in an enviable position.

It worries me that Israel have been very reluctant to guarantee a permanent ceasefire, and that negotiations have broke down because they basically want to be able to attack Gaza again after the hostages have been released "to remove Hamas". Nothing the Israelis have said or done during negotiations suggest that they are going to negotiate a hostage release and call it a day.

They also killed Nasrullah and only escalated in Lebanon, so the death of Sinwar isn't likely to do the opposite.
Especially because of how long it has taken. Over a year to kill the leader of Hamas when the entirety of Gaza was (and is) under siege. The IDF might call that a victory but given how small that land area is and how much an advantage the IDF has, you have to, I think, consider how terrible (in terms of finding people - there would be a mil. intel. term I won't be aware of) that actually is.

And, meanwhile, because of the scale of the siege (which is ethnic cleansing, openly now, being advertised, and genocide, which will be remembered as such despite current political positions in the "west"), why would Hamas or any anti-Israeli paramilitary even try to change their line. This kind of thing has never, as far as I can tell, ever worked. It never stops terrorism it just feeds it because the entire population now has a massive grudge, even more so, by many factors, than they did before.

Enlighten me then.
You can't "remove" Hamas from Gaza unless you kill everybody in the West Bank and Gaza. Israel has also been regularly bombing Gaza to smithereens for decades.

Hamas is first and foremost a resistance movement born from the Israeli occupation, just like Hezbollah. It was until 10/7 financed by Qatar, with Israel's blessing which always used Hamas as an excuse to torpedo the Palestinian Authority and any peace talk. We can discuss about its methods, some of which are thoroughly condemnable and constitute war crimes, but "terrorist organization" is an oversimplified and quite convenient explanation to delegitimize the Palestinian side and justify anything Israel does.

Colonization and occupation tend to have this effect on people. They're generally not okay with their land being stolen, constantly treated like dirt and killed like dogs. You can eliminate all of Hamas leaders, decimate its forces, destroy its equipment without ever getting rid of it. It will always reappear in one form or another as long as the root cause of its birth is not dealt with, in this case the Israeli occupation.

That's the mistake every single colonial power and the US make: they think that they can kill their way to victory. That's why they always win battles but end up losing the war in the long run. Resistance movements don't need to win, they just need to survive.

It's never been a war. Hamas has no tanks, no air force, no artillery, no navy. It's not even a country. There are no battles. It's a one-sided massacre carried out by the most powerful country in the region with the civilian population as the primary target. The US and the West fully support it and always will, with or without Hamas as an excuse.

It's a 75 years long struggle for independence against an occupier who denied Palestinians any right to self-determination and has been stealing their land for decades, wih the firm intention of getting rid of them one way or another. The illegal settlements have never stopped since Israel was founded in 1948. Last July, the Israeli Knesset overwhelmingly voted a resolution against a two state solution, officialising what everybody knew for decades.

And Hamas has every interest to stop this genocide. It's main intent was to destroy the Abraham Accords, put Palestine on the map and get as many hostages as possible to exchange against the Palestinian ones detained in Israeli miitary dungeons prisons a lot of them, including children, without charges. Netanyahu has been the one constantly sabotaging any cease-fire deal.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/netan...ge-ceasefire-deal-has-been-skewed-inadequate/
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...rt-shows/00000192-0a79-d1bc-a1ff-2e7fe0420000
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/...-it-nyt-israel-is-sabotaging-a-ceasefire-deal
https://www.theguardian.com/world/a...of-trying-to-sabotage-gaza-ceasefire-proposal

There can be no surrender because it would change absolutely nothing to Israel's colonization policy and handling of the Palestinians. On the contrary, it would only make it easier as the world would sigh in relief and Palestine would disappear from the center of attention once again, while Israel quietly resumes what it's been doing in the last 75 years, with the complicity and support of the West.

Unless you think that the whole thing started, unprovoked, on 10/7 and Israel is just defending itself, albeit with disproportional use of force. In this case, there's absolutely no need to continue this conversation.

Last edited:

It won't, his death is just a bonus and he will be replaced very soon anyways.

Israel is too far gone to stop now and the situation has never been more favourable. Everything north of Wadi Gaza is already in the process of being annexed. No aid, water or food is allowed there and Israel's destroying everything. It's determined to get rid of any Palestinian there by any means necessary and drive out the survivors to the South.

I fear that Egypt will be bullied/bribed to open its crossing and to take in at least a part of the Gazan population in the future.

Last edited:

Israel is too far gone to stop now and the situation has never been more favourable. Everything north of Wadi Gaza is already in the process of being annexed. No aid is allowed there and they're destroying everything. They're determined to get rid of any Palestinian there and drive out the survivors to the South.

I fear that Egypt will bullied/bribed to open its crossing and to take in at least a part of the Gazan population in the future.
This has to be the plan, given the destruction and death. I wouldn't put it past the US to throw billions at Egypt to get it to happen.

Yes, the plan is flee or die no matter what. Nothing will stop Israel on that. Gaza is done and part of Israel. They will munch a good chunk if not all WB in the next 1-2 years

I wonder what the piece of shit of Sinwar thought in the last moments if he was not killed instantly specially in relation on what he helped trigger

Israel is too far gone to stop now and the situation has never been more favourable. Everything north of Wadi Gaza is already in the process of being annexed. No aid, water or food is allowed there and Israel's destroying everything. It's determined to get rid of any Palestinian there by any means necessary and drive out the survivors to the South.

I fear that Egypt will be bullied/bribed to open its crossing and to take in at least a part of the Gazan population in the future.

This has to be the plan, given the destruction and death. I wouldn't put it past the US to throw billions at Egypt to get it to happen.
Sending them to Egypt is a great plan because as history has shown, once a people are expelled from a land they always cut their ties and forget about the old country.