Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

i wonder how this "shields" thing is going on after a year.

first, the idf has shown that it will bomb any area where it suspects there is an enemy. for example, they have an AI that decides who a hamas fighter may be, where he lives, and bombs the house. so by enemy i don't mean someone actively firing at them, but someone in the gaza government (health, sanitation, etc) or military wing of hamas. in the case of lebanon they have shown that they will kill hundreds of "shields" to get one target.

then, they have shown also that they fire directly at civilians, with multiple bullets directly in the skulls of children under 10 found and reported by foreign doctors, then the contest among idf snipers in 2018 in which one would have to shoot the most civilian knees to win.

third, gaza, because of the blockade enforced by israel, is, or was before this genocide, one of the most densely populated regions in the world. i don't think there is much room to build things that are both far away from habitation and undetectable.

fourth, we know what human shield usage looks like when the idf has, literally, multiple times, over decades, tied palestinian kids to the front of its tanks while going on raids.

finally, we know that the idf lies about hamas infrastructure in some civilian facilities - they made up and never found this massive hamas hq under the hospital, they said that a calnder of dcotor shift rotations was a hostage calender, etc. they dont just lie, they make the thinnest stupidest lies that don't stand up to a minutes' thinking, suggesting that the aim is not to convine, but just to get in statements exactly like the bbc statement you are defending or what the despicable state dept spokesmen can brainlessly point to.

to sum up, the reason i dont think hamas uses human shields is because they only can function as shields if they're seen as human by the IDF. in the israeli tank example, it is an effective shield because palestnian militants have a strong incentive against killing palestinian kids. the idf have shown that, in the best case, they will kill dozens of shields to get to a "target", and, in other cases, simply shoot these shields directly for the fun of it. a good test would have been the hostages. those are actual human shields, since the value placed on their life by the idf may not have been zero. however, the bombing has killed dozens of hostages, suggesting that even jewish israelis, let alone muslim palestinians, are totally non-existent human shields.
Two things can be true at once. Do IDF use this as a much too broad excuse for indiscriminate bombing? I don’t think there’s any discussion by now that this is the case. But I’m very surprised anyone would still dispute that it’s happening at all.

How are they making excuses? They are mentioning what is usually the IDF excuse. That’s a perfectly fine way to give context and give the readers a chance to make up their own minds about whether Hamas using civilians as a shield (which is true) is justification for killing 15 children from a total of 22.
Article: Cop shoots black teenager in the head 5 times. The cop has not offered any statement, but in the past police have often claimed that black teens were trying to kill them.

Me: How are they making excuses? They are mentioning what is usually the cop's excuse. That's a perfectly fine way to give context and give the readers a chance to make up their own mind about whether black teenagers often being armed and dangerous (which is true) is justification for shooting them in the head.

Does that sound right to you?

Article: Cop shoots black teenager in the head 5 times. The cop has not offered any statement, but in the past police have often claimed that black teens were trying to kill them.

Me: How are they making excuses? They are mentioning what is usually the cop's excuse. That's a perfectly fine way to give context and give the readers a chance to make up their own mind about whether black teenagers often being armed and dangerous (which is true) is justification for shooting them in the head.

Does that sound right to you?
Yeah, I don’t think you are debating in good faith, honestly.

What is wrong with bode-siding in a war between two despicable sides? And I’m obviously not talking about Gaza/Palestine there.
It's not a war and my problem with both siding isn't about Hamas either.

You can't both sides a genocide and give space to the excuses of the ones carrying it and treat them like a normal army and country. For example last month, they had this article that's open and shut case of ethnic cleansing with a clear indication of turning Northern Gaza into an extermination camp. Everything from the headline to showing the pros and cons of such a depraved plan makes it seem like a normal thing to pursue.

This is one of their last updates which is literally from one of the main propaganda Israeli organizations in this genocide
Israel said it allowed 30 trucks of aid to reach northern Gaza, breaking a 2-week-long stretch during which the UN said aid levels fell precipitously in the area, AP reports.
The Israeli body managing aid crossings into the territory, COGAT, said 30 trucks carrying flour and food from the UN’s main food agency traveled through the northern crossing after inspection. The UN has not yet confirmed Israel’s claims.
For the last two weeks, nearly no food, water, fuel or supplies have reached the north, the UN said, with both major crossings closed since 1 October.
The cutoff, combined with a renewed Israeli offensive in the area, has raised fears that Israel is pursuing an extreme plan proposed to prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu that would besiege the northern third of the strip in an effort to prompt a Hamas surrender.
No mention this is nowhere near enough and that it doesn't reach any of the most affected areas which has been under siege for 10 days in northern Gaza. Also, again framing the plan as a means to Hamas surrender when it's about ethnic cleansing, land grab and exterminating any Palestinians left.

Last edited:
How are they making excuses? They are mentioning what is usually the IDF excuse. That’s a perfectly fine way to give context and give the readers a chance to make up their own minds about whether Hamas using civilians as a shield (which is true) is justification for killing 15 children from a total of 22.
How about not mentioning israeli propaganda from other incidents (not the actual incident) and let the people use their brains to determine by themselves.

The clause does not absolve Germany of it's complicity in genocide. But why do they even care? they already have two genocides to their name.
There's more than 2, the third one doesn't get mentioned much but they also had a big hand in a genocide against the Serbs and other Balkan minorities during WW2 .

Anti-Zionist beliefs ‘worthy of respect’, UK tribunal finds

Judges say unfairly dismissed academic David Miller’s views on Israel should be protected by antidiscrimination laws

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...liefs-worthy-respect-uk-tribunal-finds-israel

The belief that Israel’s actions amount to apartheid, ethnic cleansing and genocide are “worthy of respect in a democratic society”, an employment tribunal has concluded in a landmark decision.

I had a long discussion in this very thread with @VorZakone where I accused western media in complicity and agenda driven reporting, but he tried to argue it is not the case because "I use these publications sometimes", fast forward 11 months, everybody starting to see their complicity. The attack yesterday on the Golani brigade was purely military, but until this moment no western media has reported it as such.
I get the frustration and a lot of us haven't been perfect over the last year. Just as a counterpoint and despite any points of disagreements we may have, I would say VorZakone has generally been one of the better posters in this thread over the last year, posting regular updates that in general offer good, fair coverage, even when the thread was less active.

Judges say unfairly dismissed academic David Miller’s views on Israel should be protected by antidiscrimination laws

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...liefs-worthy-respect-uk-tribunal-finds-israel

The belief that Israel’s actions amount to apartheid, ethnic cleansing and genocide are “worthy of respect in a democratic society”, an employment tribunal has concluded in a landmark decision.
That's an anti-semitic judgement according to the ADLs definition.

I get the frustration and a lot of us haven't been perfect over the last year. Just as a counterpoint and despite any points of disagreements we may have, I would say VorZakone has generally been one of the better posters in this thread over the last year, posting regular updates that in general offer good, fair coverage, even when the thread was less active.
Again, for the record: I did not imply that Western coverage was perfect or things like that. I disagreed with his view that Western publications didn't do investigative journalism or critical articles on Israel's behavior and felt it was hypocritical of him to then regularly share such articles from Western publications. But it's OK, he explained his reasoning.

But thanks for the compliment!

Was just going to post this.

I think this is very important. It's good to see the pushing back against stuff like the IHRA definition and the conflation of antisemitism with criticism of Israel. It's good that organisations like the ADL and Jonathan Greenblatt are discredited in many people's eyes. It's good that we are starting to recognise that Israel support is often aligned with racist, far right and even antisemitic politics in Europe and the US. And that Jewish people are not monolithic in their support.

I hope that this decoupling continues and genuine criticism of Israel thrives. I also hope that this puts more focus on the actual antisemitism that is very real and rising.

Was just going to post this.

I think this is very important. It's good to see the pushing back against stuff like the IHRA definition and the conflation of antisemitism with criticism of Israel. It's good that organisations like the ADL and Jonathan Greenblatt are discredited in many people's eyes. It's good that we are starting to recognise that Israel support is often aligned with racist, far right and even antisemitic politics in Europe and the US. And that Jewish people are not monolithic in their support.

I hope that this decoupling continues and genuine criticism of Israel thrives. I also hope that this puts more focus on the actual antisemitism that is very real and rising.
Obviously in the wider scheme of things, it is just a tribunal judgment.

But you are right - it is significant for both academics and students in universities, as well as in the wider workforce in the UK.

I agree and appreciate his work and time he put here. Thank you @VorZakone .

Wonder what prompted her to do this now.
Who knows? My tenuous guess is the Dems saw the polls in places like Dearborn, Michigan, got spooked, and this is them trying to throw the voters there a bone, but it couldn't have come from Harris because she can't risk upsetting the AIPAC vultures and mainstream media this late into the campaign, so they've wheeled out their 'progressive champion' for some empty statements.

Probably found out Harris isn’t going to give her a gig if the dems win the election.
Who knows? My tenuous guess is the Dems saw the polls in places like Dearborn, Michigan, got spooked, and this is them trying to throw the voters there a bone, but it couldn't have come from Harris because she can't risk upsetting the AIPAC vultures and mainstream media this late into the campaign, so they've wheeled out their 'progressive champion' for some empty statements.
Could be one of either I'm sure, but AOC generally seems to have figured out she needs to walk a fine line if she wants to ever be part of the leadership in DC. In other words - I'm thinking she s taking one for the team like Kaos implied. People still see AOC as a rebel so this won't come across as off message to many.

Still, I think this something substantial at long last, even if there are ulterior motives as @Kaos mentioned. I'm no fan by the way.
Maybe.

As far as I'm concerned, anything she says on the matter bears no consequence nor credibility. She'll flip-flop again when the weather demands it.

UPDATE: 30 Killed In Gaza In Israeli Airstrikes Since Tuesday Morning

10 people killed in Israeli airstrike on house in Bani Suheila neighborhood, east of Khan Younis, several others injured.

5 died in separate strike on a residential building in Nuseirat refugee camp, with reports of additional casualties in nearby building.

In bombardment near Salah al-Din Mosque in the Zeitoun neighborhood, south of Gaza City, 3 people were killed.

Death toll from earlier attack in al-Fakhari, east of Khan Younis, rose to at least 6.

Unknown number killed and wounded in northern Gaza’s Beit Hanoun, Jabalia, and Beit Lahia areas under total Israeli siege, and relentless shelling and air strikes.

x.com/DropSiteNews/status/1846037627792675024

Yes the Serbo-Croatian genocide.

There is no such thing as Serbo-Croatian genocide. I know this is not in line with topic, but anyway.

Croatia was a fascist state in WW2, which was allied with Italy and Germany. The rest of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia which existed prior to the war, it is hard to say. But Serbian royal guard, Chetniks, which can be concerned a major force of the time, were a paramilitary force which was not completely aligned with fascists, but their ideology was not nice, anyway, to not use worse words. They commited many crimes, but you couldn't say they were allies with fascists 100%.

Most of them fought communists anyway, both Chetniks and Croatian fascist goverment, and commited major atrocities along the way.

There was huge extermination camp Jasenovac in which ugly crimes were commited by Croatian fascist goverment, mostly against Serbs, and there was also Bleiburg, at the very end of the war, where Yugoslav forces commited crimes against nazi supporters, but also a number of innocents.

There were, of course, countless small villages and groups of people exterminated throughout the war, Muslims in Eastern Bosnia for example, mostly by Chetnik forces. Germans also commited number of such atrocities throughout the war.

But, there wasn't such thing as German sponsored genocide against Serbo-Croatians specifically. No.

Germany has a terrorist government full of war criminals and the majority of people there are ok with that.

thread

also worth noting it's both the kahanists and the social-democrats in the replies agreeing on this

We've been told many times here that Israelis just aren't all that aware of what's really happening in Gaza. Yet every time they're made aware of something horrible there they enthusiastically approve of it.