Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Israeli occupation forces have asked all residents of northern Gaza (300k+) to evacuate as a means of ethnically cleansing North Gaza . However, they then besieged Jabalia refugee camp, and when people tried to leave, they were shot at by snipers. Many residents are on the streets, bleeding, as Israeli forces have destroyed ambulances and are targeting anyone who tries to help. The situation in the north is horrific and very dangerous; there are currently hundreds of thousands trapped, and the shelling is nonstop. Please share what’s happening in the north.

You think the US and UK would ever oblige them?
Both countries know perfectly well that if they don't oblige (as in: arresting Netanyahu if he enters UK/US territory) that would be an immensely damaging step. It is a very major line to cross.

Most likely they'll arrange that Netanyahu & Gallant don't set foot on US/UK soil and they'll continue their rhetoric about "no jurisdiction" and shit like that.

Both countries know perfectly well that if they don't oblige (as in: arresting Netanyahu if he enters UK/US territory) that would be an immensely damaging step. It is a very major line to cross.

Most likely they'll arrange that Netanyahu & Gallant don't set foot on US/UK soil and they'll continue their rhetoric about "no jurisdiction" and shit like that.

uh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Service-Members'_Protection_Act

The US will literally invade the Netherlands if its people are tried in the ICC. I really don't think not arresting Bibi is a bigger red line than that.

I remember, in the mid-00s, when Liberman was always described as this far-right extremist, what a disaster if he gets power... now he's a part of the Israeli left, the hope of the anti-Bibi liberal Zionists at home and abroad.
And it's not just in the past year. The spectrum has shifted right every single year since I can remember. Every time there's some new unfathomable right-wing party and by the next election they're mainstream and a new party takes their place.

Dutch prosecutors mull criminal case over alleged Israel interference into ICC
Prosecutors in the Netherlands are considering a request to open a criminal case against senior Israeli intelligence officials for allegedly interfering with an investigation by the international criminal court (ICC). The request was filed last week by a group of 20 complainants, most of whom are Palestinian, asking the Dutch prosecution service to examine allegations Israel tried to derail the ICC’s inquiry into alleged crimes in the occupied Palestinian territories.

According to lawyers for the group, the criminal complaint was filed in response to an investigation by the Guardian revealing how Israeli intelligence attempted over a nine-year period to undermine, influence and allegedly intimidate the ICC chief prosecutor’s office.
https://www.theguardian.com/law/202...rs-mull-criminal-case-israel-interference-icc

Dutch prosecutors mull criminal case over alleged Israel interference into ICC

https://www.theguardian.com/law/202...rs-mull-criminal-case-israel-interference-icc
Gotta say for as little a country as small as it is - it has some balls in standing up the likes of Russia (they counter hacked them I seem to recall) and now Israel. In some ways it's good something like the ICC is housed there - even though it clearly isn't always very effective - like most international platforms with high stakes competing interests can be.

Israeli Public Broadcasting (Kan) Corporation’s Itsik Zuarets says General’s Plan is underway:“The IDF returns to the northern Gaza Strip: Division 162 entered Jabaliya tonight and began operations to destroy the Hamas infrastructure being renewed there. In the future, the entire northern area of the Gaza Strip will be cleansed according to the generals' plan - the entire population will be evacuated beyond the Netzer axis and the entire northern area of the Gaza Strip will be declared a closed military area”

Was there not a law passed in the US or one/some of its states that made it illegal to say "from the river to the sea"?

I'm not against repercussions for racism (hasn't that been a thing for a while?) but the threshold is laughable. It's also divisive. It will not be upheld for islamophobia to anywhere near the extent that it will be upheld for anti-semitism despite the fact that a large part of Arabic muslims are semites (just not Jewish). The whole classification leaves lots to be desired. If you're running around using the K word for Jewish people, we have an obvious case. If you repeat that Israel has set up a colonial apartheid state from the river to the sea (which is what human rights groups, including Israeli HRGs, have stated) then nothing should be done. It's a statement (or representation) of fact.

Was there not a law passed in the US or one/some of its states that made it illegal to say "from the river to the sea"?

I'm not against repercussions for racism (hasn't that been a thing for a while?) but the threshold is laughable. It's also divisive. It will not be upheld for islamophobia to anywhere near the extent that it will be upheld for anti-semitism despite the fact that a large part of Arabic muslims are semites (just not Jewish). The whole classification leaves lots to be desired. If you're running around using the K word for Jewish people, we have an obvious case. If you repeat that Israel has set up a colonial apartheid state from the river to the sea (which is what human rights groups, including Israeli HRGs, have stated) then nothing should be done. It's a statement (or representation) of fact.

In the US such a law cannot be passed (or put into effect) because of the first amendment.

However, you can regulate government money.

Govts can cut of all funding for universities that are anti-semitic - for example, if they allow students to say "from the river to the sea", hence creating an unsafe environment for their Jewish students. Or they have a course that teaches that Israel is a racist state (my previous university was under investigation for this).

They can also refuse to sign contracts with anyone who boycotts Israel. This includes disaster relief - in Texas, if you take relief from the govt from a flood, for example, you must pledge to not boycott Israel.

Today on Twitter I got an ad, which was an op-ed from the Jerusalem Post, asking Chuck Schumer to push that bill I'd mentioned in the previous post, to "defeat anti-semitism in New York."

I could post at least 10 other tweets about different massacres since last night.

The Palestine ambassador to Germany posted some videos showing Israeli treatment of Palestinian prisoners, and among the uniformly angry responses, (top response was that they were arrested for a reason, some others said it's fake, many said the PA should release the hostages) one said that "this "entity" needs to be replaced by moderate Arabs like the UAE." Well, that is about what you'd expect from a German resopnse, I almost forgot about it.
And then

So it looks like the plan is to cleanse and depopulate Northern Gaza and have the UAE and Saudi control the rump as an undifferentiated Arab population. One side effect of cleansing and permanently occupying Northern Gaza will be the impossibility of getting a precise death toll.

The Palestine ambassador to Germany posted some videos showing Israeli treatment of Palestinian prisoners, and among the uniformly angry responses, (top response was that they were arrested for a reason, some others said it's fake, many said the PA should release the hostages) one said that "this "entity" needs to be replaced by moderate Arabs like the UAE." Well, that is about what you'd expect from a German resopnse, I almost forgot about it.
And then

So it looks like the plan is to cleanse and depopulate Northern Gaza and have the UAE and Saudi control the rump as an undifferentiated Arab population. One side effect of cleansing and permanently occupying Northern Gaza will be the impossibility of getting a precise death toll.

As Jeffrey Sachs once said, Lindsey Graham is a complete fecking moron.

Despite the grainy videos published with few details on targets or locations, Airwars matched 17 strikes to specific geo-coordinates where our researchers had tracked Palestinians killed or injured. In these strikes alone, more than 400 civilians were reported killed.

65 Doctors, Nurses and Paramedics: What We Saw in Gaza
I worked as a trauma surgeon in Gaza from March 25 to April 8. I’ve volunteered in Ukraine and Haiti, and I grew up in Flint, Mich. I’ve seen violence and worked in conflict zones. But of the many things that stood out about working in a hospital in Gaza, one got to me: Nearly every day I was there, I saw a new young child who had been shot in the head or the chest, virtually all of whom went on to die. Thirteen in total.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/10/09/opinion/gaza-doctor-interviews.html

I'm aware of that but the optics of not arresting Netanyahu if he's on US soil is something I wouldn't underestimate.
Optics aside, the US isn't a signatory to the ICC so presumably couldn't arrest him even if they wanted to?

Optics aside, the US isn't a signatory to the ICC so presumably couldn't arrest him even if they wanted to?
But despite that, the US did get involved with the ICC in other cases so evidently they have no qualms about capturing people and transfer them to The Hague.

Uganda's military has confirmed that a senior commander in the rebel Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) movement has been taken into custody by US forces. The army spokesman told the BBC that soldiers had visited Dominic Ongwen, who was being held in the Central African Republic, to identify him.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) wants to put Mr Ongwen on trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30705649

the destination of individual in that report was being decided by Uganda not the US even though he surrendered to US forces. Uganda is a signatory.
The point is the US put effort into helping to capture him.

In 2013 the US offered a reward of up to $5m (£3.3m) for information leading to the arrest or capture of Joseph Kony, Dominic Ongwen and another LRA leader, Okot Odhiambo - all indicted by the ICC, external.

Then, in March last year, the US announced it was sending military aircraft and more special forces to help track down the LRA leadership.

Not surprising. Capitol Hill and its with hunt of academia have probably put enough fear in them to not veer off the expected path our "glorious" government spelled out for them. Even if they had voted in favor of it - how many companies legitimately even divested from Russia. So many of these things are complete charades.