Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

I saw this, all the Hasbara talking points were out with no intention of understanding what Coates was saying.

I just went into the ancho's wiki page to find out that two of his kids live there which explains everything.

Its strange isn't it. The influence of religion is a common denominator in terms why the Israelis have a lot of influence in US society. Evangelical christians view the existence of Israel as a pre-requisite to the end of days, which explains their support. There are also a lot of jews on the Dem side of politics. Its probably one of the few issues in American politics that is tacitly bipartisan. Politicians must therefore fall in line or else risk being politically ostracized. Religion almost always poisons everything.
It definitely seems bipartisan among the establishment of both parties. The democratic base seems more skeptical but their party seems determined to ignore them. Every skeptic of Israel just gets targeted and primaried but I do wonder how long democrats will feel the need to tow that line until someone like Sanders comes along and openly calls Israel out.

That's the standard response.

"Israel did something wrong"

"Why do you hate Jews?!"

It's baffling and I'm not surprised younger people have stopped buying it.

Not sure if a change in popular opinion will become a change in policy, but I do hope this change continues through the firings of teachers, professors, and general censorship around this question.

The relationship between the US and Israel is weird. The US is far more powerful but it's so devoted to Israel that Netanyahu can effectively dictate American policy. He clearly knows he can do whatever he wants and they'll still support him like an enabling parent.
This is why you don`t allow dual citizenship of government members nor of elected representatives at state and national level. Too much influence exerted on behalf of a foreign power. In my country you must declare your second citizenship and give it up if you want to run for any elective office at state or federal level. No exceptions.

There are members of Congress, the Senate and Federal Govt of the USA who have been or are dual Israeli citizens. And no it`s not about religion and Christian fundamentalists supporting Israel for their own reasons. It`s about power dynamics, bottom line.

There are Israeli-American citizens who are holders of mega properties and companies and involved in financial networks in the US and all over the world. They are connected with power at its most influential levels and in the business world. Jewish business people have a strong presence in cities like New York. Jewish people are generally successful in and integrated with American society.

Jewish people originally from Eastern Europe or with roots there created what we now know as Hollywood - they had the creativity to invest in `moving pictures` when established businessmen from other ethnic backgrounds wouldn`t touch it. Joe Kennedy, the father of JFK, was one of the few non Jewish businessmen who got involved with the business.

All this plays a big role in shaping US Government support for Israel. The ties are very strong. There are no comparable ties with what is called `The Arab World`. And the US telling Israel not to conduct operations against Hezbollah is highly unlikely no matter how much we hate the fact that civilians are caught up in all this. Hezbollah is one of Iran`s military proxies, and the Iranian presence in Lebanon has been an invasive one and a destabilising one for decades despite the deals made with a Christian political party there, to give one example.

Last edited:

"Amos J. Hochstein (born January 4, 1973) is an Israeli-American businessman, diplomat, and former lobbyist. Hochstein, was born in Jerusalem, the child of American Jewish immigrants. He served in the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) prior to moving back to Washington, but is not a dual citizen."
:lol:

The recent article about Coates was good, mostly as a criticism of his former employers The Atlantic:

While The Atlantic has certainly published some dissenting views in these areas, the central pillars of its perspective are unshakable. In November 2023, as Israeli forces were beginning their decimation of Gaza, Yair Rosenberg predicted that a new moral authority in Israel would rise from the rubble of Netanyahu’s failures. Amid news of Israel bombarding schools and hospitals, the magazine’s April cover story, by Franklin Foer, claimed that the left’s sympathetic response to the October 7 attack had augured the end of “a golden age” for Jews in America. In May, in an article quibbling with the U.N.’s estimate of the death toll in Gaza, Graeme Wood wrote, “It is possible to kill children legally, if for example one is being attacked by an enemy who hides behind them.” When Hamas murdered six Israeli hostages in late August, Foer wrote a wrenching obituary for one of the victims, Hersh Goldberg-Polin, treatment that is rarely afforded to Palestinians who have been killed in the conflict. And as student protests against the ongoing assault on Palestinian civilians took hold across the U.S., The Atlantic applied a full-court press: The demonstrations were “heartless” (David Frum), “oppressive” (Michael Powell), “threatening” (Judith Shulevitz).

“The fact of the matter is,” he said, “that kid up at Columbia, whatever dumb shit they’re saying, whatever slogan I would not say that they would use, they are more morally correct than some motherfeckers that have won Pulitzer Prizes and National Magazine Awards and are the most decorated and powerful journalists.”
Nobody can say the man is afraid to torch professional relationships.

Only just struck me that it's nearly a year since October 7th.

Where the bloody hell has that time gone? Feels like it was this year at some point when it happened.

nothing possible to add to this deliberate madness

I don’t know how I am able to still be astounded at double-speak but there it fecking is. Such anabashed obfuscation, it’s sickening. And you can tell he struggles to deliver it with any conviction.

A lot of massacres are happening now in Gaza while the world worries about inanimate objects being hit.

The recent article about Coates was good, mostly as a criticism of his former employers The Atlantic:

Nobody can say the man is afraid to torch professional relationships.
God I love that guy. The interviewer who argued with him wad sorta right about one thing. If anyone other than Coates was saying that stuff, he'd be condemned as a terrorist and immediately ignored.

The US media has very clear biases in this.

I don’t have the in-depth understanding and closeness to the conflict as many others but the extent of Israel’s military aggessions and how far back they date on face value at least suggest nothing but a war criminal / terrorist state (as much of the Us / UK was during the Bush Blair era or colonial era for UK too). But I don’t understand why when much of the world is calling out Netanyahu for being a criminal, the US and their allies continue to arm and enable them? Israel is a speck compared to the US’ might (financial and military) in the grand scheme of things. Yet for all their talk of good values they support this.

I don’t have the in-depth understanding and closeness to the conflict as many others but the extent of Israel’s military aggessions and how far back they date on face value at least suggest nothing but a war criminal / terrorist state (as much of the Us / UK was during the Bush Blair era or colonial era for UK too). But I don’t understand why when much of the world is calling out Netanyahu for being a criminal, the US and their allies continue to arm and enable them? Israel is a speck compared to the US’ might (financial and military) in the grand scheme of things. Yet for all their talk of good values they support this.
It’s a mix of a few things. The religious importance of Israel, regional interests, a powerful Israel lobby, general opposition to anything Muslim, etc.

I’d say the support for Israel has also turned almost obligatory for many on the US right. They support Israel, because it’s part of the platform and don’t lend it much thought beyond that. It’s just what you do.

It’s a mix of a few things. The religious importance of Israel, regional interests, a powerful Israel lobby, general opposition to anything Muslim, etc.

I’d say the support for Israel has also turned almost obligatory for many on the US right. They support Israel, because it’s part of the platform and don’t lend it much thought beyond that. It’s just what you do.
I get that the Jewish community and Israel as a strategic partner is influential to the US but the extent of it is confusing given US being forthright here in stopping violence and ensuring a ceasefire would hardly have major negative ramifications. At least, from the layman perspective of course.

But it is sad that two of the things you say are religion related. Just goes to show how shallow everyone really is when despite all the posturing on human rights and pretending to be the beacons of morality, the religious liking of Israel and hatred for Islam / Middle East, is important. Then again we probably shouldn’t expect that much from the country that invaded Iraq for no reason, and has always promoted conflict across that region to suit its own interests.

Hmm.. last night there were a lot of posts about the Iranian missile strike that have now been removed and the only recent posts remaining are about Israel attacks against Palestine.

Is there a bug on the forum or is this thread being moderated to only show only news/posts about attacks Israel make?

(I don't know enough about what's going on just know the attacks/war need to stop - just found it weird looking at this thread last night compared to now the narrative looks completely different and intentionally moderated to be - which I do have an issue with).

I get that the Jewish community and Israel as a strategic partner is influential to the US but the extent of it is confusing given US being forthright here in stopping violence and ensuring a ceasefire would hardly have major negative ramifications. At least, from the layman perspective of course.

But it is sad that two of the things you say are religion related. Just goes to show how shallow everyone really is when despite all the posturing on human rights and pretending to be the beacons of morality, the religious liking of Israel and hatred for Islam / Middle East, is important. Then again we probably shouldn’t expect that much from the country that invaded Iraq for no reason, and has always promoted conflict across that region to suit its own interests.
I don’t think the US leadership is forthright about wanting to stop violence and death. They think like Israel at this point and put no restraints on them at all.

If Israel could theoretically become marginally safer at the cost of 100,000 innocent Palestinian lives, that’s been shown to be just fine with the US. To Israel those deaths are more of a bonus. It’s gross.

Hmm.. last night there were a lot of posts about the Iranian missile strike that have now been removed and the only recent posts remaining are about Israel attacks against Palestine.

Is there a bug on the forum or is this thread being moderated to only show only news/posts about attacks Israel make?

(I don't know enough about what's going on just know the attacks/war need to stop - just found it weird looking at this thread last night compared to now the narrative looks completely different and intentionally moderated to be - which I do have an issue with).
Maybe moved to the Israel-Iran thread?

Ahh yeah seems to moved there!

Just seemed weird there was now no mention of it at all here :)

*removes tinfoil hat*

This thread is specifically about Palestine, the other one is about Iran and its proxies like Hezbollah and the Houthis.

I don't think any posts have been moved from here, you probably just confused the two threads with each other.

Breaking | Medical sources to Al Jazeera: The number of martyrs has risen to 79 in Israeli raids on the Gaza Strip, 53 of them in Khan Yunis since dawn today.